Rolling Stats

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Joker

The Joker
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

Well, 2 days of some serious rolling and the best I came up with was 18 19 20 18 18 10.. and well, that just makes me mad. Probably discourages new players to have to do this as well. Considering I did Serious nothing but sitting here rolling for literally two days, probably like a nerdy 15 hours of rolling to get 2 4 stats. Not even great 4 stats.

So, either;
A: Leave 6 stats alone, they should be hard, hell, don't even mess with how often 5 stats pop.. but atleast make 4 stats a little more often, or even 3 stats, because I can't seem to get one of those with the stats in the right places. (fighter) (healer)

B: Implement some sort of option to let us Take one or two points from one stat to add to another for times when we get those 5 stats with -2 max dex. Or in another important area.

"LeTs PuT a sMiLe oN tHaT fACe!"

SErVer: 1aLt

nAMe: Joker

#2 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5243 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:25 AM

We have asked for this a few times. I still don't get the point of the roller...
I own one crit that I rolled myself. It is awful and tedious and absolutely out of sync with any other part of playing the game. Hell, we know half the good characters were probably done by either auto-rollers or Jess (Samus, who rolled practically like an auto-roller...got high and went on for hours and days rolling).
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#3 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

The roller idea is fine but it should be done differently. Should be rolling for generic stats that you can assign to whatever attribute you wish. Such as rolling 8-19 and assigning the rolls where you want them. Depending on race "perfects" will be adjusted accordingly. On non human races anything that is higher than 19 would be adjusted by using a "perfect roll" and anything lower than 19 would be changed based off the other races perfect gain. Say I roll a 10 I want to put in charisma on a dwarf. That 10 would really be an 8 since dwarf charisma is -2 from 19.

Example:

Rolling from 8-19.

Roll 1: 10 19 19 18 19 10, Assigned to a Dwarf, Str 19 (perfect changed to 21), Intel 10 (-1 = 9), Dex 19 (Perfect changed to 18), Constitution 19 (perfect changed to 21), Wisdom 18 (-1 = 17 (since dwarf max is 18 and an 18 roll is 1 off "perfect"), Charisma 10 (-2 = 8 (since dwarf max is 17)
Freek ingame.

#4 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Idk about yall but i rolled for only 30 mins the other day and came up with x,p,p,p,p,p human p,x,p,p,p,x ling p,x,p,p,p,x ling p,x,p,p,-1,x dwarf and a few others. Not sure how it works like you say for yall but i tend to roll these ones fairly easy.
Peacemaker both servers.

#5 The Joker

The Joker
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

I will undoubtedly develop some sort of carpal tunnel before I achieve said goal. It's not like the old days, there is a lot of games where you can just dive right in. New people that could possibly be interested in this game may be dismayed by the fact that they spend 5 hours and get something that they think is alright, only to find out they're going to have 240 hp at lvl 30.

#6 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

My first crit on NM was a 18 15 16 17 9 12 Human Paladin. Guess how long that took me to roll? A minute and a half, max.

When you start out, stats don't matter. It's only when you "have" to have max stats to compete that rolling becomes an issue. No new player is ever going to sit and click for 5 hours trying to get perfect stats. Stats are shiny. But you can still play NM just fine without a 6 stat.

That being said, I think the roller is the least of NM's worries right now. And to be honest, I don't think any of the proposed ideas would remedy the "problem", any way.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#7 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

We have asked for this a few times. I still don't get the point of the roller...
I own one crit that I rolled myself. It is awful and tedious and absolutely out of sync with any other part of playing the game. Hell, we know half the good characters were probably done by either auto-rollers or Jess (Samus, who rolled practically like an auto-roller...got high and went on for hours and days rolling).

thats where I learned to roll from :lol: and is exctly how I roll still when im wanting a specific stat char. I'm one of the ones that doesn't mind rolling at all..yes its time consuming but its a nice way for us people without alot of gold to make ourselves a nice acct to train up.

Plus it kinda feels a little like gambling, like a slot machine lol hit the button and hope u cash out :lol:

Edited by Gnarkill, 10 September 2011 - 06:02 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#8 The Joker

The Joker
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:23 AM

My first crit on NM was a 18 15 16 17 9 12 Human Paladin. Guess how long that took me to roll? A minute and a half, max.

When you start out, stats don't matter. It's only when you "have" to have max stats to compete that rolling becomes an issue. No new player is ever going to sit and click for 5 hours trying to get perfect stats. Stats are shiny. But you can still play NM just fine without a 6 stat.

That being said, I think the roller is the least of NM's worries right now. And to be honest, I don't think any of the proposed ideas would remedy the "problem", any way.

Well, I have never joined ANY game that involves rolling and settle for less then at least the main setup, Like Max Str, Con and Dex/Agi of some sort. That's just stupid on your part for wasting your time knowing that your character was a p.o.s.

During my rolling the last week I've got a -Couple- 3-stats with perfect str, con, dex(With utter trash for the unperfects) and other good-for-nothing 3-stats and a 18 21 17 18 20 20.. Now..really? Wouldn't it be nice and not make me wanna break my keyboard if say, I could steal a couple from charisma and fix that dexterity problem?

*Also, I did see two 4-stats with p x x p p p and x p p p x p.

Believe me, I would totally dig a 3 stat, maybe something like 18 15 21 18 16 17 - I'd roll with that, and cherish it always. But I can't even manage to get a decent 3 stat out of this damn thing.

-----JUST NOW, 10:26, few mins after posting, 4 stat, 1 off 5 stat WOOO! 18 18 15 18 18 19. FU Roller.

Edited by The Joker, 11 September 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#9 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

Are you trying to roll a 1a or Multi char?

Nightmist isn't a hard game.. rolling to get yourself a nice character is just part of the game.. its all luck and sometimes it takes time.. we all went through it. You being too picky to use certain characters is your own flaw not the games. Most of us started with a crappy char or two(sometimes 1 or 2 stats or even less) just to make gold to purchase a character if we couldn't roll one.. not sit and post that the roller isn't easy enough.

It seems like almost everyone that plays nm anymore just wants everything handed to them on a silver platter so I have a 18 13 21 18 17 18 ling in character restore on 1a I'm not using.. you can have it if it will resolve all this complaining.. just Pm me the acct name to send it to on forums here.

I've also got:

Ling:
18 11 21 18 17 17
18 17 21 18 16 12
14 14 21 18 18 19
16 9 21 18 18 19

Dwarf:
21 18 18 21 15 15

if any of those work better for you than the other one.. and if you were talking Mutli Server.. I probably have something there that would work too if I looked.

Edited by Gnarkill, 11 September 2011 - 03:36 AM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#10 Migraine

Migraine
  • Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

"Sausage: When you start out, stats don't matter. It's only when you "have" to have max stats to compete that rolling becomes an issue. No new player is ever going to sit and click for 5 hours trying to get perfect stats. Stats are shiny. But you can still play NM just fine without a 6 stat. "

Clay you have to remember back then there was no color guide to whats perfect and whats not, we rolled until we got somewhat close to what we thought we liked.. now when you start rolling with the new roller meaning the stats that are perfect light up yellow.. that may make new players wanna sit and roll and see what yellow stats they can get instead of doing what most of all of us did when we started and just roll for like 5 minutes.. lol

-×»±º-Ïm(v)ørta£-º±«×-

1alt: Rot, Zipo, Immortal

#11 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

I just buy 5 stats. . . I can gold for 2 hours and have enough to buy one. . . Much more time effective than rolling for potentially weeks to get the correct 5 stats you're looking for, and then not roll over it. :lol:
Autek in game.

#12 The Joker

The Joker
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

I just buy 5 stats. . . I can gold for 2 hours and have enough to buy one. . . Much more time effective than rolling for potentially weeks to get the correct 5 stats you're looking for, and then not roll over it. :lol:

I am saying that yes, I am quite pissed at the time invested for the last week or so, with no gain at all, but seriously. How are we supposed to bring in new players with this kind of system? Even RoK(70-100 people online at a time still) switched it up, these kind of games are dying, and with this game having it's own interface and being stand-alone, with the player having no customization at all really except a the skins it's going to be hard to get it back to a state where theres not just 10 people around, on a good day.

If this MUD was built differently players could have helped out, built a mini-map, have a "Go-To" button to easy walk places, and numerous other things that are holding this game back.

So, the least we could do is make it so the stragglers that DO actually stumble across this old dying game find it appealing enough to stay and don't join, find out they suck, find out they have to level that nutsty character to 25-30, gold for a couple weeks, buy a nice lvl 1 character, hopefully, and then start over. Whereas in other games, they can basically jump right into doing what their heart desires from the gate.

I'm not completely hating on the rolling system, it's cool, it helps some earn some gold, sweet. Good for them. I personally jacked off the last week, even at work, screwing around rolling stats. Not one 5 stat, not even a decent 4 stat. I've spent a crazy amount of time rolling since I came back. I like the uniqueness of each person. But I shouldn't have done some -serious- rolling the last week+ with no results.

-maybe it's because I don't smoke anymore, i don't know. but even so, this is obviously not working for the game.-

Edited by The Joker, 13 September 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#13 Gangster

Gangster
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

I like this idea, as a player of RoK I liked it when 'rolling' stopped and you could customize your own character.

I think for it to work though each race needs its own base stats and you can only add a maximum of 4 or so stats to each field. This would stop low str, con and wis characters having 30 dex.

But hey this is nightmist and it is what it is, and I dont see anything changing at all in future so you might have to suck it up and get used to it.
»*¤ ßêg Før Mêrçý ¤*«

#14 Tyler

Tyler
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

I am saying that yes, I am quite pissed at the time invested for the last week or so, with no gain at all, but seriously. How are we supposed to bring in new players with this kind of system? Even RoK(70-100 people online at a time still) switched it up, these kind of games are dying, and with this game having it's own interface and being stand-alone, with the player having no customization at all really except a the skins it's going to be hard to get it back to a state where theres not just 10 people around, on a good day.

Rolling is based upon luck and time dedicated. If you're being too picky, you probably won't roll something good enough to start out. When players first start out, their primary concern is the game itself, not the stats of their first character. I will, for the time being, agree that something else should be done with the roller. However, I think that customizations that you propose are a little extreme. I feel as if you spent less time comparing this to RoK and more actually thinking of valuable solutions that do not come across as "whiny" to the playerbase, they would be of a higher quality and may server as actual solutions to actual problems. I will continue. I didn't mean to attack you, just merely point it out, so I apologize if I'm too blunt for your liking.

If this MUD was built differently players could have helped out, built a mini-map, have a "Go-To" button to easy walk places, and numerous other things that are holding this game back.

This MuD was intended to serve entertainment to the players, and has being doing so for numerous years. JLH has said that as long as someone is playing, he won't pull the plug. However, that doesn't mean he will serve an active administration with frequent updates. While you might be able to design a flourishing and successful game, most aspects cannot happen without the administration willing to spend the time programming. JLH has a career and is definitely going to put that over a hobby and game he started many years ago.

As far as building a mini-map, that could have been implemented if he wanted to. For now, there is a wiki that has maps to nearly every area in the game. They are pretty much 99.9% accurate, with a few exceptions. A mini-map would add to the game, but is not a necessity, as players are and were willing to manually map them out and make them available to the playerbase.

A "Go-To" button would be idiotic in my opinion. You seem to aim your goals at making everything really easy. However, a button such as this would be comparable to an auto-mover, which has been bannable since I started playing in 2001. Players don't want to "easy-walk" places, as it is more challenging and enjoyable if you try. If you should fail, or hit a death trap, or what have you, it is entertainment and can be shaken off and laughed at. With a button like you propose, it seems as if I can just click that button, go smoke a J and grab a beer, come back and do whatever it is I wanted to do where I put the target destination. I may have exaggerated your "button," but in this instance, I had to in order to make my point as clear as possible.

As far as "numerous" other things, they would have to be suggested on an individual basis. They would need to be things that are possible. If you're simply suggesting coding changes to an inactive (for the most part) administration, then you may as well go play another game. Staff and the playerbase pretty much control how this game operates, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

So, the least we could do is make it so the stragglers that DO actually stumble across this old dying game find it appealing enough to stay and don't join, find out they suck, find out they have to level that nutsty character to 25-30, gold for a couple weeks, buy a nice lvl 1 character, hopefully, and then start over. Whereas in other games, they can basically jump right into doing what their heart desires from the gate.

As NightMist Online is classified as a MuD game, anyone searching this game will more than likely find it appealing. From my experience, typical MuD's seem to be completely text-based and even working on telnet. With a GUI interface that NightMist has created, it is "appealing." I don't know how it is over there in RoK-land, but in reality, sometimes you need to work for what you want and not have it handed to you on a silver platter.

Leveling up multiple characters, golding, and starting from level 1 (or golding longer to buy a higher level) is something nearly every player has went through. Changing that now would hardly have any common sense behind it. In any game that I have played, while the actual rolling may be easier, it takes countless hours to get better equipment, gold and characters. Sure, we could delete the roller, but doing that and making it too easy would be a mistake as well. We would need to propose a real idea, something like Jordan stated, and develop that further with the approval and suggestions of JLH and other Staff.

I'm not completely hating on the rolling system, it's cool, it helps some earn some gold, sweet. Good for them. I personally jacked off the last week, even at work, screwing around rolling stats. Not one 5 stat, not even a decent 4 stat. I've spent a crazy amount of time rolling since I came back. I like the uniqueness of each person. But I shouldn't have done some -serious- rolling the last week+ with no results.

How much time is a crazy amount? I mean, some people roll for 6 or more hours straight, and some roll for minutes and get the same results. In the end, it's a gamble. My personal advice would be to level some stuff up and go through the process as we did long ago, as it seems to yield the best results. Oh, and don't go gambling. :lol:

CEO & Founder of Twisted Tactics.

In-game

Multi: Veles or Elixir

1-alt: Liability

#15 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

RoK's flaw is that they have a map, which totally destroys your own mind-map you create when playing. But makes it easier for people who just wanne click click and level.

If you don't get what I mean, read a book instead of watching a movie and you get it.

Other then that, this thing derailed fast when people assumed it had anything to do with main. Not that I support the suggestions, it's hardly why new players aren't attracted. Once you're in, you're in. New players don't level to 30 then think their HP sucks and quit. These games are (unless you started playing back in the day) build upon social interaction.. which is something that's totally up to the players.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#16 The Joker

The Joker
  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:00 PM

RoK's flaw is that they have a map, which totally destroys your own mind-map you create when playing. But makes it easier for people who just wanne click click and level.

Sadly, we need those click and levelers to keep the player base at a point where new people don't join and quit instantly because of 5 people online at 9pm(most people on). Also, who plays the game now that doesn't do that anyways?

I think I've made some valid points on how this game could grow to be better, not easier, just more flexible and player helpful.

#17 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Other then that, this thing derailed fast when people assumed it had anything to do with main.

That. If he means all of these suggestion posts towards 1a then thats great.. I could care less and I'll stop posting because I don't play 1a and its not fair for me to post opinons on it. As long as none of this would apply to multi its whatever.. I think the majority of multi is fine with how everything is and if staff took time on anything a good majority of us would like some more challenging things..not just high level but challenging for whatever level they are made for and not just suggestions to make the game easier.

I was confused because he has chars on multi including a 6 stat with nice hp.. so I didn't know where all of it was coming from or for which server as it was never really clarified just "the game" as a whole.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#18 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:39 AM

-maybe it's because I don't smoke anymore, i don't know. but even so, this is obviously not working for the game.-

New players aren't concerned with having perfect stats though, especially while trying out a new game. If they play it and decided they like it and want to continue, they've played long enough to buy a perfect 4 stat, if not 5 stat with the overabundance of them these days on the 1a server. Heck you can buy a lowish but not horrible HP 5 stat for 100k. Given a mediocre stat character at level 1, a person could have that in a few days, if not sooner if they really liked the game and played a lot. A 3 stat or 4 stat is much cheaper yet.

Rather than rolling man, just gold and buy one. If you don't have a character worthy of golding with, I'd bet there is someone out there with a adept junker you can kill bears with that they'll sell you for 50k with 0 down, solely on credit. From there if you need better stats, you can gold for a couple days and get one.

I don't know why in the world there are people out there who keep rolling for characters when there is such little benefit in comparison to golding in game. We can thank those people, for keeping the number of characters vs. players high and prices down.
Autek in game.

#19 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't know why in the world there are people out there who keep rolling for characters when there is such little benefit in comparison to golding in game. We can thank those people, for keeping the number of characters vs. players high and prices down.

Because it gives me something else to do at work while I am managing my shop(can't run a party while here to gold) and supervising my employees, and thank you brotha for providing me with gold for me influxing the game with more rolled chars! theres gotta be people who play both ways to make it work! :lol:

Edited by Gnarkill, 15 September 2011 - 04:51 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users