No More Level Cap

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 eclypse

eclypse
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

well i just had a very interesting conversation with JLH... where he just informed me that he was taking off the level 30 cap and making the game have infinit levels... i dont know about anyone else but in my opinion... thats probably the worse idea ive ever heard... im not saying this because im lazy or dont wish to train anymore... im saying this because the only 2 classes who could truely gain any levels after 30 are pallys and clerics. anything higher will be left in the dirt for a VERY LOOOOONG time. i would like players opinions weather they support this idea or not. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE which im hoping most of you will not then PLEASE make your voice heard.
Adultery/Pistol Ingame

#2 Outlaw

Outlaw
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

well i like the idea of having more levels, but maybe not infinit, even if they were, its what 70 mill from master to arch? arch to the next level will be even more? whos gunna train 100+ mill every time for another level? Maybe to like 35 ish or so, would be different.

#3 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

infinite lvls makes gap between clerics and such so bad that clerics would dominate 1v1.....which doesnt make since because they simply dont attack for enough.....for them to gain an advantage of more hp and mp wouldn't help to close gap between them and others.

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#4 Element

Element
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:13 AM

maybe this is a clue that cleircs and pallys are over powered as if anyone playing couldnt see that 90% of players are them neways

-Adventure To Fate Game Dev- https://itunes.apple...d871690289?mt=8

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

What about the other classes?

Increasing Level means you miss less often, so all the fighting classes will become more deadly, Druids will gain stronger Stormwrath and Mages will gain stronger Beam, as well as fizzle less. While Clerics and Paladins may get stronger heal spells and possibly stronger equipment if the game is adapted for it, the other classes will gain more powerful attacks.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#6 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

I thought it was fine the way it was no real need to remove the cap..
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#7 Jphattyjr

Jphattyjr
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

Not a bad idea to get rid of the cap, but maybe adjust the exp lvl intervals to compensate? Then you wouldn't be training 100+ mil between lvls and such. Just a thought I guess.

#8 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

lol...maybe if the un-capping of the levels is planned or balanced then it will work out well for all classes, and if it isn't planned or balanced it will do all of the things you guys mentioned and more...much more.

However, on a solo-game, level 30 simply isn't high enough to be honest, but level 40 would only do much better in certain places, and still get DOMINATED in several other parts of NM.
In PvP...well, that doesn't really matter all that much aside from 1v1 right now, and it doesn't seem like we've really promoted 1v1 a lot.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#9 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Maybe JLH has plans to adjust the cleric and pally class to make them harder to train but still alright for 1v1, not many people know what goes in his head.

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#10 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:50 AM

as the level system is, ignoring lvl1, there are 3 level points in the 1000-9999 xp range, then it increaces by 1 level point every power of 10. So there would be 8 level points in the 100-999m range, 3 of them are taken by 28/29/arch.

So under the current system you would be level 35/36 when you reach 1 billion exp, so even under the current level system infinate levels would not be overly excessive, a grandmaster zerk would still only get 600ish hp if normal gains are used lt level 31+, or 680ish if arch gains are used l31+, and an equipped elf druid with 1 bill exp would stormwrath for 80 max (minus wis protection). The only problem class would be pacifists coz they get +ac every levelup, but they arnt in nm1a anyway

As long as the benefits of levelling past 30 are simply increaces in hp/mp/hit chance/mage/druid magic damage/cleric/druid spell effect and the game is not infested with powerful l31+ weapons/equip, i cant see l31+ characters been too unbalanced.

(ot - w00t 500th post!)

Edited by joanna, 07 April 2007 - 11:52 AM.

#11 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

There are no plans to create special items for level 31 and above, it's purely a hp/mp and all the other things that affect a crit on level up only
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#12 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

hmmm good point about stamina, never thought of that, rangers, thieves and pallies could do with an extra point, if it was changed obviously fighters/zerks would get one too, but clerics woudnt, this might help against clerics training quicker than everyone else

As for the pvp cap, simply make l31+ crits count as l30 for pvp purposes

#13 Woodstock

Woodstock
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:05 PM

well, why should they make a lvl 45 be able to kill a level 20... thats dumb man. the pvp cap is fine, i was more implying that its not gona cause a huge stir if a 45 is running around bc he wont be able to kill 20's
When life slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls.

Lappa/Woodstock on Multi
Dubs/Cold on 1a

#14 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

the pvp caps as currently implemented will remain in place
also, level 31 will be something like 350-400m, level 32 would be 500-600m so it's not going to be the case of everyone going up really high at all.
stamina would increase too
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#15 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

If Nightmist can have different amounts of stamina at different levels for different classes, and everyone is worried about clerics and paladins gaining levels faster then everything else, cant you just do like RoK and require different classes different amounts of experience to level? Since they all have to see a different npc to level as it is anyways?

#16 Woodstock

Woodstock
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

thats also a very good idea
When life slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls.

Lappa/Woodstock on Multi
Dubs/Cold on 1a

#17 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

*nods*

In RoK the healing classes have it harder, so while assassins hit lvl 25 (highest level possible) at 400 mil exp, the Druid class caps at 330 mil experience.

#18 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

the game already supports that, however the files contrain the same thing, heh
for the higher levels, the amounts will be changing

#19 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

just me been a nub, but wtf is RoK?

#20 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

RoK = Realms of Kaos, another text-based MUD.

With the new levels, what will happen to the advanced class names? Or actually, what will happen to the ranks in general, since Archmaster assumed the top rank.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#21 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Just wondering, does this apply to both servers?

If so I might log on and get some lvl 35+ zerks kekeke :)

And Europa will be what, lvl 50 lol
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#22 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

nm solo only
the new levels will probs be archmaster class 1-4 for levels 31-34, followed by grandmaster class 1-X for levels 35-X, i've not decided yet

#23 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

Will you still get tag like Slayer at 500m? :)
Freek ingame.

#24 Trance

Trance
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

I haven't seen what it looks like...but will the Archmasters currently ingame (1 alt) get their arch gain (usually double the regular gains i think) switched to a regular lvl gain?
All cars should come equipped with cleanse. Screw drunk driving!
Juan
ingame Irl

#25 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

i am considering allowing double hp/mp gain for all levels above 30, to try to reduce the 1 hit wonders.
i have yet to make a decision on this, feel free to comment.

#26 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:19 AM

My preference would be for regular hp/mp gain for each level with stamina increases for thieves early (31ish) and not until very late for all other classes.

I also wouldn't mind seeing this for NM-multi, but without the additional stamina gains for any classes.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#27 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:43 AM

whats gonna happen with regen then? presuming there will be 7 or even 8 stamina put in, how much would you regen each click?

as a suggestion, if 40 levels are put in, possibly have stam raises at thieves l31, rangers 32, fighters/pallies 34, zerks/druids 36, clerics 38, mages 40 (if there were 8 stam levels fighters/zerks/thieves/pallies/rangers get 1 more here too, or perhaps theives get the 7th point a few lvls earlier)

#28 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:52 AM

Eww!!! Whats up with the mage stam at lvl 40 :) < :) mages
Freek ingame.

#29 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:43 AM

Mages are too overpowered the way it is they need to be knocked down so that is a good distance in the stamina
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#30 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:56 AM

Yeah my 23 armor 5 stam mage is just pwning tr :)
Freek ingame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users