• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

There seems to be a bug with the Nightmist Wiki in that there is no option to register on there, and anonymous contributions are not allowed. The only people able to contribute to the topics are those who registered before the entire database was transferred onto the Nightmist server: myself, Masta, and whoever uses the Admin account (presumably Prototype).
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Been like that from day one, it's to prevent abuse. Old Wiki thread stated to memo me when you wanted an account.

Current users http://nightmist.co....ecial:ListUsers (a lot more then just us 3, don't think many are active tho).

In any case, it isn't a bug, I just blocked it. Could promote some people so they are able to create wiki accounts as well for others if that's needed.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#3 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

It just kind of defeats the object of a Wiki if only carefully vetted people can contribute to it. If a topic is vandalised it can be reverted to a former state without much difficulty.

I know one or two people on the multi-alt server who want to contribute their knowledge, but don't play on 1-alt so cannot memo you.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#4 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

I'm on the main server as well, on my mortals.

It doesn't matter to me, I'm not really active on it anymore, John has to set up the mail server for it to work tho (and probably change some settings back, but I could help with that).

The reason was because abuse on the regular Wiki is difficult because of the amount of active people (you can get banned form there within minutes of messing a page up), but on here it's fairly easy. And with so few people, putting back over a hundred vandalized pages isn't something I like to do.
Especially since it's so easy to get an account through ingame measures (also greatly reduces the chance of bots, spammers, scriptkiddies etc. to mess things up).

Old 'trashed' convo about it is below. But all in all, I don't mind whichever you prefer.

Sleeping:
A question.
Is there any protection against vandalism on that wiki? So if I spend my time writing out details about every monster and item, can I hope that some nub won't delete it's all and replace my text with f- words?

Angelus:
Sleeping got me thinking, was searching some and to conclude I locked the wiki down. Only users can edit and only sysops/admin can create an account. I will send Sleeping a login (as soon as I figure out how).

Was basicaly beause I found some occurences where the wiki was ruined because of anonymous users (intentionally ofcourse, it isn't that hard to master), and since I dont have the proper knowledge about it yet I think this is the best way to go.

Can ask here for logins.

Edit: Noticed Crane already made one prior, so don't have to make that one.

Crane:
Looks like I joined just in time. I've put some information in on Aet'Thol and the Berserker class for you. Though not obvious, Aet'Thol was the one responsible for Ganymede's fall from grace.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

Ah, I forgot about that conversation.

If you go into the "History" section of pages, it will show a log of all the changes made to that page, and it's possible to revert to one of those old records (and also change back to a more recent one if this act in itself is vandalism). The nice thing about Wikis is that any vandalism performed is normally repaired quite quickly, plus since the IP address of anonymous editors are recorded, they can be blocked from editing pages, or users banned in the case of registered editors. I've done my share of reverting on Wikipedia after other users have vandalised pages.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users