Thieves

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Zeppelin

Zeppelin
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

I was thinking maybe that when you talk covert, people couldn't see your name. I mean if you think about it, if you're hiding from someone, and you talk, they will know you're there, but won't know who you are. Could that be worked out?

#2 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Would be rather amusing.. But I kind of like my name being shown..

Death: Your turn.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#3 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:56 PM

Makes sense, but i wouldn't like it. Only reason i talk while im covert is to show people who i am..
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#4 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

I would like it to be togglable, then sure, great idea.

#5 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

Let. Make. The. World. Togglable. Whehehehehhheeeeehehehe.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#6 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:14 AM

/toggle live
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#7 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:34 AM

Maybe a chance of 'identifying' the speaker? And you could get identities confused if there was more than one thief on the square/nearby.

#8 Xien Pk

Xien Pk
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

"/toggle hidename"
or
"/toggle showname"

Edited by Xien Pk, 20 July 2004 - 02:26 PM.

Wew7zorxx

#9 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

No no no, or I delete an important character in my account.

A real assassin would not go:
Assassin: Oi, Bush.. -whistles- Over here sexy man...
BANG...

Stupid. Idea.

Stotic's idea is better, if only JLH could code that well.

Edited by alone, 20 July 2004 - 05:46 PM.

- AfterAll

Bunny!

#10 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Who says he can't?

I don't know anything about the way nightmist is coded,
It's done in visual basic, if I'm correct.
Imho, visual basic is the most horrible programming tool thingy known to mankind, because microsoft is a swindling, pathetic, stupid company. Thank you very much!

#11 Xian

Xian
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

Its not the best or fastest language but for a text based game like nightmst its definitely the easiest and quickest to write in- and more than sufficient to handle what the game needs.

Anyway, it only makes sense that if you're covert and you speak you're either discovered or your name is hidden. If they know who you are.. and they can hear you... you're not covert?
Celerity // Wodan in game.

#12 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:03 AM

VB is junk.

I'm not criticizing nightmist, it's well done! C is much more efficient than VB. The client could probably be done (more system-friendly, but maybe not as, ermm, elegently) in javascript/html or java, with CGI!

#13 rebel_blaidd

rebel_blaidd
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:30 AM

how about ventrwiliquizm(have no idea how to spell it like when a guy talks for a puppet and u dont see his mouth move) for thieves when there covert they could talk and make it look like someone else said it

as for vb yeah it is junk but its useful junk as nightmist wouldnt be without it c is good i like c++ better but thats just me and nah not cgi php cgi is a bit dated imo php is the way things are going ive seen a few games written in it and its quite effeciant

#14 Satterlee

Satterlee
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:18 PM

I love it!, It should be togglable, or, it should be like Rage

It's a skill you get at level 25, and when you use it covertly, no one will see your name. But when you use it again, people will see your name again. Kinda the same format as rage. But as I said, you must get it at lvl 25 or whatever to make sure little noobs arent being gay.
I've seen more meds in my left nostril than you've seen in your life.

Poker in-game.

#15 Xien Pk

Xien Pk
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

Hay Mec, I've got an Idea! Since you seem to love 'C' so much, why don't you make your own client for nightmist, and then send it to JLH for testing!

(Don't worry JLH, i"m sure he wouldn't. or can't.. But if he can and will, I'd give him a shot anyways, coding a client would take atleast a few days..)
Wew7zorxx

#16 TheNobleOne

TheNobleOne
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:28 AM

Just so everyone knows vb is not junk. Just because it does not have a C in the name does not make it junk. VB is a very capable language and can do a entire 3d game withing 1-3% of the performance of C++ without all the hassles that c++ provides. VB is a very powerful language if you truley know how to use it. Trust me I know from experience I have known VB for about 5 or 6 years now and I can also program in C++ and C#. And it is not easy to do anything in C++ past a simple console that says hello world. If you saw what it takes to do a graphical gui like nightmist's in C++ you would shoot yourself as you are looking at thousands of lines of code and that is not even including the advantage vb gives you with sockets. Yes C++ is a great language but very time consuming and vb is a great language not very time consuming. It is designed very well and with a bit of help from underlying windows api's and some of the libraries designed for VB so it can do specialized tasks besideds click a button VB is very powerfull and fast.

Just remember it is not vb's fault that some of the programs it does seem slow it is the programmers fault as he does not know what the hell he is doing because with proper coding and thought behind the sequence of procedures and objects vb can easily match up to C++ speed with less code.

End of rant.

#17 Issy

Issy
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:55 AM

VB is junk.

I'm not criticizing nightmist, it's well done! C is much more efficient than VB. The client could probably be done (more system-friendly, but maybe not as, ermm, elegently) in javascript/html or java, with CGI!

lol, i love how you said 'C is much more efficient.' Whereas, C is old, and on the very verge of being obsolete.

How could the client be done with HTML, Javascript? I don't think JLH's goal was to make a browser based game :P
And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users