Stealing Items

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:12 AM

Lately I have been hearing about players wanting the thieves to be changed to assasins. What JLH could do is give a new ability to steal items for Thieves. Thieves would be able to steal random items from players.
Hi-2 letters
Beg JLH to unban your crits-5k letters
There are many things that doesn't have shortcuts
For everything else, there are macros

#2 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:20 AM

Been suggested before, I like it aslong as the item is not equiped, but this idea has been turned down many times before, but who knows, people might like it now =)
«¤Mêad¤»*

#3 MCM

MCM
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:06 AM

problem there are the special items/weapons, sure a stolen potion would do a thief well and not imbalance the game, but having a thief pick off a high end item or peice of equipment would cause big problems
The Smily Pill

#4 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:21 AM

I don't see the big problem...There should be more risk in Nightmist. Playing Nightmist is getting way too easy. After you done a quest and got a valuable , it is pretty reasonable for thieves to go after you...
Hi-2 letters

#5 Wisdom

Wisdom
  • Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:13 AM

Say you made 10mil the hard way buy training, You just made your first 10mil and you go to buy a cobalt, once you leave the town 10 secs later a thef steals your cobalt. That would really piss me off.
Online characters: Wisdom

#6 Mercutio

Mercutio
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:29 AM

Seems to me that if you just bought a 10-million gold weapon.. you'd equip it far before you made it out of town... otherwise.. a cobalt may not be for you.
You call it nagging. I call it constructive criticism.

#7 MCM

MCM
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:56 AM

you also have to take into account not all valuables can be equiped, or if you went on a quest for a rare weapon/peice of armor you couldn't equip, yes there is supposed to be risk involved, but at the same time no one should be able to take an extremely rare item with just one click

Edited by MCM, 18 August 2004 - 05:56 AM.

The Smily Pill

#8 Vodka

Vodka
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

Say you made 10mil the hard way buy training, You just made your first 10mil and you go to buy a cobalt, once you leave the town 10 secs later a thef steals your cobalt. That would really piss me off.

If this were to happen, I'd have to call them.. a complete fk'ing moron. Who on earth would do that? Unless it were you, lol.

Anywho, I don't support this idea, for obvious reasons. I usually don't carry stuff in my inventory anyways. Why would ya want a class to do that? Seems unfair to me.
When you do something right nobody remembers, but when you do something wrong nobody forgets.

Hump in game.

#9 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:11 PM

sure if when you try to steal that piece of eq its a 1/2000 chance and if you fail the crit gets perm banned and deleted THEN this is fair
Page/Memo Beatrix

#10 Dc

Dc
  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

maybe items should have a kinda dex, you have so much a chance of stealing one. while you could probably steal a mana crystal 1/2 times, you could only steal a cobalt every 1/500 times, and how often do people randomly carry around cobalts unequipped?
I believe in the Triune God;God the Father, the Son , and the Holy Spirit.I believe that while I was helpless and sinful, Christ died for me. Therefore, I now have the righteousness of God, old things have passed away and I am a child of God. I cannot be separated from the love of God, Christ lives in my heart by faith and therefore, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I have been chosen by God and appointed to bear fruit for God. I resist the devil and he flees from me.

#11 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:04 PM

i've suggested it 2 times before i think.

i think it should be possible to steal stuff from someones inventory too. if it's expensive then your just stupid to equip it.

i also think thieves should be able to steal from shops and if they fail like 2 times or 3 times in a row they have to go to prison or something like that.

we have the prison so yeah :P
Even in death my hate will go on

#12 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:27 PM

i've suggested it 2 times before i think.

i think it should be possible to steal stuff from someones inventory too. if it's expensive then your just stupid to equip it.

i also think thieves should be able to steal from shops and if they fail like 2 times or 3 times in a row they have to go to prison or something like that.

we have the prison so yeah :P

doent seem quite fair with csotw being in shops for some reason I wonder why... :P
Page/Memo Beatrix

#13 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:56 PM

duh it's harder to steal more expensive stuff. like 0.000001% chance to steal cobalt and like 50% to steal a pot :P

edit: also ofcourse stat and level related and stuff like that.

Edited by jurian, 18 August 2004 - 07:59 PM.

#14 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

rofl I would just mass make level 1 thieves and try to steal csowt :P
Page/Memo Beatrix

#15 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

Maybe there could be a spell that mages cast to make an item permanently unstealable.
Hi-2 letters

#16 Spekkio

Spekkio
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:04 PM

There is a way to steal items in inv... kill the crit and pick up the randomly dropped items... :P
Ñôökïè Mòñstër: Spekkio, Kleptomaniac, Mushu, Gargoyle, Gaspar, Bahamut and Mesmerize ingame.

#17 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:05 PM

Maybe there could be a spell that mages cast to make an item permanently unstealable.

Scroll of Unstealable(Gay name) - 50k
Makes an item unstealable from thiefs, can only casted once, then must be re-bought in order to cast again.

Just a though
«¤Mêad¤»*

#18 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:36 PM

To be honest, what's the most valuable thing you've ever had in your inventory whilst out of the protection of cities? You risk losing it by dying, it's not that dissimilar to losing it to a thief.
If you build it, they will come.

#19 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:53 PM

Do I sense concurrence among Simon?
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#20 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:18 AM

i think you do, and i agree with simon, and for a level 1 thief to steal the cobalt would be like a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance lol

#21 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:13 AM

I've suggested something like this before:
Only there are 'priorities' in your inventory.

Two items can be set to TOP priority: (the stealer MUST have 26 dexterity (only possible with spells) in order to succeed in stealing this!). These would not go away when you die. These would be the items that you have in your belt, like an extra sword, an alternate shield on your back, perhaps a spyglass to switch with your bracelet.

Four items can be set to MODERATE priority: (Stealer must have 18 dexterity to succeed). These can be dropped like normal when you die. These would be the items that you would keep in your pockets, maybe a concealed knife in your boot.

The last eight are set to LOW priority (always a chance). They're 50% drop. These are the items you'd keep in a pack on your back.

Now, there's a command for theives called /peek that can try and identify the items in your inventory. There is a slim chance of being discovered, and all the items only stand a little chance of being identified.

Then there's /steal item.

/steal item 1 would attempt to steal item 1 (high priority)
/steal item 3 would attempt to steal item 1 (moderate priority)

This would prevent cobalts and stuff from actively being stolen.

#22 Dc

Dc
  • Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:29 AM

thats just getting too complicated
I believe in the Triune God;God the Father, the Son , and the Holy Spirit.I believe that while I was helpless and sinful, Christ died for me. Therefore, I now have the righteousness of God, old things have passed away and I am a child of God. I cannot be separated from the love of God, Christ lives in my heart by faith and therefore, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I have been chosen by God and appointed to bear fruit for God. I resist the devil and he flees from me.

#23 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

What if the thief's ability to steal something was simply based on the value of the item, and the criteria that determines the success of a normal steal gold ability.

This way, a thief would go after the lowest value item in the inventory, which would also be the easiest item to steal.

If I knew more about thieves, I could probably be more helpful, and give a possible example.

Edited by green_mantis, 20 August 2004 - 04:14 PM.

I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#24 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

I've suggested something like this before:
Only there are 'priorities' in your inventory.

Two items can be set to TOP priority: (the stealer MUST have 26 dexterity (only possible with spells) in order to succeed in stealing this!). These would not go away when you die. These would be the items that you have in your belt, like an extra sword, an alternate shield on your back, perhaps a spyglass to switch with your bracelet.

Four items can be set to MODERATE priority: (Stealer must have 18 dexterity to succeed). These can be dropped like normal when you die. These would be the items that you would keep in your pockets, maybe a concealed knife in your boot.

The last eight are set to LOW priority (always a chance). They're 50% drop. These are the items you'd keep in a pack on your back.

Now, there's a command for theives called /peek that can try and identify the items in your inventory. There is a slim chance of being discovered, and all the items only stand a little chance of being identified.

Then there's /steal item.

/steal item 1 would attempt to steal item 1 (high priority)
/steal item 3 would attempt to steal item 1 (moderate priority)

This would prevent cobalts and stuff from actively being stolen.

nice so only a PALLY who is somehow glitched a thief could do it

or a ling thief with boots of haste sgs aolp and 2 braclets of speed can... nice might as well not add it :P
Page/Memo Beatrix

#25 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:39 AM

I like the idea of being able to steal items, but the prioritized inventory sounds a bit too complicated. It seems like it should be similar to monster drop rates, the more valuable the item is, the less likely the steal is to be a success.
Öö`°´Ångél`°´öÖ

#26 trigger happy

trigger happy
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:47 AM

ok i am not someone that believes thiefs are underpowered at all.....infact they are like the very best thing in nm to pk with which is what their for...i think thiefs name should be assassins because they basicly are for assassinating ppl and killing them real fast and stealing stuff(gold) is just a small thing their able to due...in case of say real life a assassin is best at fast killing and close up fighting with a short sword and a thief isnt to good at fighting only when its really needed and its best for just plainly stealing....well i dont think you should be able to steal equiped items no matter the chance of stealing a item cause that even gives you a chance at a free 10mill or for csotw...or w/e...so how about make it 50% chance to steal a item/gold....and then if the chance for gold wins the gold chance at current seting stays same and plays in...but if the item chance wins then the thief will automaticly try and steal a item...which is just like setings of gold...just with items and not what the items are worth but how many are in the invertory? i think thats clear..maybe not tho its late and i just wanted to say something cause i dont like thief name and i do like the thiefs them selves lol

#27 Satterlee

Satterlee
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:30 AM

A bit off-topic but..

Everyone's talking about a Csotw getting stolen and valuable stuff getting stolen, but, how many times have y'all gotten an expensive watch or item stolen? Its just normal, and thieves really do suck at being 'thieves' just assassins.
I've seen more meds in my left nostril than you've seen in your life.

Poker in-game.

#28 Darkon

Darkon
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

Seems to me that if you just bought a 10-million gold weapon.. you'd equip it far before you made it out of town... otherwise.. a cobalt may not be for you.

Yep. I think this would a fair ability...not like i ever walk out of a town with sgs or crs in my inv. Supported.

Edited by Darkon, 30 August 2004 - 11:40 AM.

Darkness is the only way, chivalry is another word for lust and desire, heroism is nothing more than demanding attention, and holy is only to control.

#29 herbacious

herbacious
  • Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

Very much in support of this idea i think it would make the game more interesting. :P
Eternyte in game Main or 1A.

#30 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

A bit off-topic but..

Everyone's talking about a Csotw getting stolen and valuable stuff getting stolen, but, how many times have y'all gotten an expensive watch or item stolen? Its just normal, and thieves really do suck at being 'thieves' just assassins.

wow your damn retarded

how many people would just sit in windia shop and steal csotws ? I mean cmon idiot
Page/Memo Beatrix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users