Thieves

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rikku

Rikku
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm sure I'm just beating a dead horse here, but I just wanted to post a new topic regarding thieves.

I recently returned to nightmist and the first character I started to level was a thief.  I was excited to start a new thief since it had once been my favorite class on 1alt, for many reasons.  As I'm leveling I noticed the new level requirements for stamina.  Okay, I continued on my way.  After having gotten to level 20, I was so bored, and tired of watching druids/rangers/mages, everything!  Burning through bears at twice my speed at or below the same level.  I had heard talk of the nerf to thieves, but did not think it would be so bad.  So I decided to borrow a level 35 thief just to try it out.  I was disappointed to find that the level 35 human thief with dotw was barely hitting 350 with 6 stam.  This seems incredibly low compared to other classes.  And thieves still miss completely, so it doesn't even seem like an average compared to other classes of the same level.  After talking to several people, and noticing that every time I logged on I was in fact, the only person on 1 alt even bothering with a thief, and remembering the good ole days with my dwarf thief, I decided to try to come up with a solution that would make everyone happy.  And would help make thieves actually nice to bring to bosses again and possibly pull it from most hated class to somewhere in between. 

The solution I came up with there could be a backstab ability that would either have a chance to go off based on dexterity, or you could have it be an actual ability that costs a stam or 2 to "set up" and then you have a 5% chance per stam to proc the "backstab" ability, and the affect would wear off once you took damage. It would just be additional damage towards the target at no stamina cost.

*  The backstab ability would ONLY work when another friendly target was on the square.  And this would make thieves more useful at bosses, and also increase the likelihood of them training in groups.  Considering them more of a support class.  And this would keep them from being "unbalanced" in solo training and PVP.

* I suggested dex as stat for increased proc rate because dwarves currently seem to be the only good thieves and halflings/gnomes need the boost more.  Plus using a stat such as intelligence just adds another class that you pretty much HAVE to roll 5 stats for. 

Just a thought I had. 

Let me know what you guys think!  Thanks for reading!

~¤£íñЧéý¤~¤Èí£ðñWý¤~

#2 Vega

Vega
  • Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

Wont be done, might aswell give up on thieves. :/

Vega/Minion/Banishment ingame 1a.

#3 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

I recently returned to nightmist and the first character I started to level was a thief.  I was excited to start a new thief since it had once been my favorite class on 1alt, for many reasons.  As I'm leveling I noticed the new level requirements for stamina.  Okay, I continued on my way.  After having gotten to level 20, I was so bored, and tired of watching druids/rangers/mages, everything!  Burning through bears at twice my speed at or below the same level.  I had heard talk of the nerf to thieves, but did not think it would be so bad.  So I decided to borrow a level 35 thief just to try it out.  I was disappointed to find that the level 35 human thief with dotw was barely hitting 350 with 6 stam.  This seems incredibly low compared to other classes.  And thieves still miss completely, so it doesn't even seem like an average compared to other classes of the same level.  After talking to several people, and noticing that every time I logged on I was in fact, the only person on 1 alt even bothering with a thief, and remembering the good ole days with my dwarf thief, I decided to try to come up with a solution that would make everyone happy.  And would help make thieves actually nice to bring to bosses again and possibly pull it from most hated class to somewhere in between. 

/library emerald dagger (the weapon you should be using)

/library dagger of spirits (an acceptable alternative if you cant afford the above)

/library dagger of the winds (your weapon)

/library blade of honor (a level 15 fighter weapon)

If you use a weapon that has the damage of weapons generally used by level *FIFTEEN* crits, you are bound to be hitting for such pathetic figures.

The reason your crit is hitting so low is because you are trying to get around the fact the game (1A) was designed to be completely, utterly and totally unsoloable, by using a low damage vampiric weapon instead of a mate with a cleric.

#4 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thieves are meant to strike from the shadows.  Attacking while covert will do more damage, whereas attacking in the open results in less damage.  I will accept that their damage is a bit low though.

As for fixing the problems - there's only so much we can do without source code changes.  We do hope to alleviate some of the problems by introducing the Shadow Brace, once everything is ready with the areas.

#5 Vega

Vega
  • Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Lets just skip all that and delete the class O.O

Vega/Minion/Banishment ingame 1a.

#6 Rikku

Rikku
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:40 AM

A few things....

First:  I quoted the DoTw damage because that is what I just happened to be using the most.  I spent a few days trying to find an area I was able to solo comfortably.  Tried bossing with the emerald dagger and my 4 stam hits were hitting for about what the zerks were 1 stamming. 

Second:

If you use a weapon that has the damage of weapons generally used by level *FIFTEEN* crits, you are bound to be hitting for such pathetic figures.

The reason your crit is hitting so low is because you are trying to get around the fact the game (1A) was designed to be completely, utterly and totally unsoloable, by using a low damage vampiric weapon instead of a mate with a cleric.

Not true.  MOST other classes are able to solo easily enough when they don't have a cleric handy.  Thieves don't have the benefit of being able to hit and run if need be or the strength to kill things fast enough to avoid some of the damage.

Third:

I agree with Piddy on the changes that need to be made for thieves to possibly be considered usable again.  I agree that thieves /a damage should be near a fighters and that a hypnotise ability would be useful in many situation.  The cap to how often you can steal gold also makes sense to me.  Thieves need to get a boost somewhere because in comparison to the other classes, they are far behind in damage and versatility. 

~¤£íñЧéý¤~¤Èí£ðñWý¤~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users