• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I admit that designing CTF maps for Unreal Tournament and Duke Nukem 3D (I made a TC once named TeamDUKE) is very different to making arenas for Nightmist, especially since you can't have things like sniping nests!

Still, depending on what Derlok feels and what players feel, I would like to take up the challenge of designing a small number of new CTF arenas. I just hope it isn't too hard to incorporate into the game. As for which map should be used on which night... I'll leave staff up to deciding that.

This is my first map. It's a lot more complex than the current one, and is designed to require a lot more strategy when it comes to attacking, as there are three entrances to choose from. It is also better suited to a larger number of players or crits. The centre route is a direct path between the flags, albeit blocked by Castle Doors, Small Portcullises and a Stone Sentinel on a central bridge; the side-entrances are joined and meander around a bit more, as well as having a few environmental attributes that can be used to one's advantage, such as Grasping Vines in the forests or using the wetland to avoid getting hit if you're the flag carrier.

(Note that the strange "twist" in the middle of the map is meant to show that there are two separate squares... a East-West square going under a bridge and a North-South square, the bridge, going overhead.)

CTF-Hourglass

Posted Image

Edited by Crane, 09 April 2009 - 10:43 PM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Seems pretty interesting. I can't really imagine how this would work but then again, I don't have to until (if) it's put in game. But may I suggest choke points if you haven't already thought of it? That is, squares like those below the church in Blackthorn that only allow a few characters to move through at a time.

Nice work and good luck.

Edit: This is coming from my 1-alt perspective.

Edited by Yggdrasill, 09 April 2009 - 10:47 PM.

1-alt: Inglastex Main: don't play

#3 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

I was having ideas of using teleporters as chokepoints in another map that can be used strategically or as a hindrance. Here, the chokepoints, or at least the danger points, besides the doors, are the Maneaters, the Stone Sentinel, and any Grasping Vines that a player sets up on the side routes if they so choose. A viable strategy, for example, would be to cast Grasping Vines just one away from the Castle Door on the side-routes, and trap and ambush incoming attackers who might be trying to back up a team already at the Castle Door.

ADDENDUM: To successfully attack or defend on this map, players must communicate with each other extensively so firepower can be concentrated and so people know which Castle Doors are under attack. Defenders are also given a bit more mobility in that they can jump between their own Castle Doors, although if they choose to defend (or attack) the central door, they can't go back unless they die or unless they can get to one of the flags.

Edited by Crane, 09 April 2009 - 11:02 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#4 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

One of the reasons that CTF works well right now is that the arena is small enough that players spend the majority of the game fighting with each other rather than running around looking for each other. The the current CTF arena works best with around 16-20 players, which is more than we can get online on all but the best of days. I doubt that we will get to the point of having enough players to justify a larger arena.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

Hmmm, I feared that would be an issue. Definitely not like making an Unreal Tournament map...

I might try another, smaller idea later on. Thanks for the feedback Trevayne.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#6 «¤ºxXl3úÐXxº¤»

«¤ºxXl3úÐXxº¤»
  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

anyone have a map of the ctf as it stands now?
I don't care if you lick windows, take the special bus, or occasionally pee on yourself. Hang in there you're friggin special!

#7 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

I can't remember which flag base is which, but the CTF arena consists of a 5 * 3 area filled with Skeletal Sprites (a unique monster), with a corridor extending from the centre of the North and South edges. Each corridor is 3 squares long, containing the Castle Door, a Small Portcullis before ending at the flagpole.

If I had to give a name for this CTF map, to distinguish it from a future CTF map, say, I would call it "CTF-Northkeep"... those who have read the Nightmist back-story may understand where I'm coming from.

What I find a little bit awkward is that, to win, both flagpoles have to be completely exposed. It makes it more exciting, I admit, but the team have to destroy their own gates eventually in order to win.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#8 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Oooh now THAT IS going back a long way¬!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users