Logic Test

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:53 AM

Hello, I was in the mood for giving out various logic questions. Some of you have heard them. Others of you have not. But just to check how good everyone is at logic and how well you think, I would like for you to use your brain and try to think about something that you probably can't firgure out. You never know, you just might get it right!

I'll be asking a number of questions over times until someone gets it right. Good Luck!

Here's #1 (We'll start easy)

A snail is at the bottom of a 30 foot well. During the daytime, the snail crawls up 3 feet, but at night, it slides down 2 feet. In how many days will the snail be able to reach the top of the well and escape?
I'm not the one who's confused, boy. You don't even know who you are! -Rafiki

Ingame: Bowlin_Iii

#2 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:33 AM

29 because on the 28th night he is at 28 feet, and upon the next day he climbs 3 feet, making it 30 to the top +1 ...escaping, trick is he never makes it to the next night to lose -1 feet., depends on how you interpret the question but thats what I think

EDIT: Typos

Edited by Shaginator, 25 August 2005 - 04:44 AM.

Overthrow/Redemption - 1a

Existance - Main

#3 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:28 AM

29 because on the 28th night he is at 28 feet, and upon the next day he climbs 3 feet, making it 30 to the top +1 ...escaping, trick is he never makes it to the next night to lose -1 feet., depends on how you interpret the question but thats what I think

EDIT: Typos

On the 28th day he is at 28 feet, but at night he slides 2 feet to 26. So on the 29th day he would only be at 29 feet then would drop another 2 feet at night to 27. On the 30th day he would be at 30 feet.

Now if all he has to climb is the 30 feet then it would take 30 days. If 30 feet would only get him to the rim of the well then he would need to make his exit on the 31st day after slipping 2 feet over night.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#4 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Ok starting day 1...hes climbs 3 feet, when night falls he loses 2, so going into day 2 hes gained 1 foot in his climb. During the day on day 2 he starts 1 foot ahead and he climbs 3 more feet making it 4 feet, but he loses 2 more at might making it 2. This goes on..obviously until day 29, he has a net gain of 1 foot each day. So to explain my reasoning AGAIN, on day 29 he wakes up with 28 feet of 30 to reach the top, well on that day he gains 3 feet, making it 31....30 to reach the top and 1 to escape. HE NEVER MAKES IT TO NIGHT TO LOSE ONE MORE FOOT BECAUSE HE ESCAPES. :(

Edited by Shaginator, 25 August 2005 - 09:30 AM.

Existance - Main

#5 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

28 days, on the 28th day he crawls out and does not slip back.
I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#6 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:57 AM

ok agreed there IF YOU are assuming the snail starts from an upright position, which it doesn state, because as you said ingame then he would be cresting the top on the 28th day. But how are you to assum hes starting from an upright position if he is in THE BOTTOM of the well as it says? doesnt seem logical to me

Edited by Shaginator, 25 August 2005 - 09:57 AM.

Existance - Main

#7 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

To quote someone "cry prz"

#8 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

wow you were actually sounding semi intelligent until you started quoting borderline retards who dont have the mental capacity to say anything besides the same two words over and over, at any rate I agree with what you are saying, but....to be honest it could go either way. If the riddle states that hes at the bottom of the well, tell me how he has to climb just over 30 feet to get to the top and escape. See the point im makin is the question is bogus. Your saying that the reason he makes it out in 28 days is because the measurement was taken from the bottom of his shell so when he reaches 30 feet on the 28th day, the rest of his body has crested and he can escape. But how is that so if he started from the BOTTOM of the well as the riddle states. Your formula assumes that he started from the bottom of the well in the upright position. Tell me where in that riddle it says he started in the bottom in the upright position and ill agree but until then, he started from the bottom, either a flat dry surface or water. SO... he had to climb one inch to get into the upright position and THEN 30 feet from the bottom of his shell to get to the top. So on day 28....if you count the inch he had to climb to get into the upright position, he is NOT cresting the top he is at the edge, only to have to start again the next day.

Edited by Shaginator, 25 August 2005 - 10:28 AM.

Existance - Main

#9 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

Sorry I confused myself. :(
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#10 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

Congrats you got it right!
Very good arguments everyone and the explanation is...

28 days.....the snail averages 1 foot each day, so after 27 days he has reached 27 feet. On the 28th day he crawls up 3 feet during the day, but since he is now at 30 feet and out of the well he no longer slips back 2 feet.

Now then on to question #2 since you all seem quite logical yes?
anyhow:

There are 2 different colors of socks in a drawer. Without being able to see inside the drawer, how many socks must you remove from the drawer to ensure that you will have a pair that match?

#11 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

Three...you remove the first, and say it is Blue. The second removal will either be blue or red. Let's just entertain ourselves and say you pick out a red. Now, you have one red and one blue sock. Next withdraw will be either a red or blue- so you will have a match no matter what you draw.

Unless of course, their are different styles as well as colors :(
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#12 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:25 AM

Three...you remove the first, and say it is Blue. The second removal will either be blue or red. Let's just entertain ourselves and say you pick out a red. Now, you have one red and one blue sock. Next withdraw will be either a red or blue- so you will have a match no matter what you draw.

Unless of course, their are different styles as well as colors :(

Good Job! You got it right!
Now then, I think we should up the difficult level to see how much more brilliant some of you might be.

Now then
Question #3:

A man was critically wounded during a vicious fight in 1958, he died and was buried in 1957. How is this possible?

#13 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:34 AM

Grave looting? lol

deimos the noob said no

#14 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:54 AM

its BC

Existance - Main

#15 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:02 AM

Nice cliff, i didn't even think of that. Only one that sounded logical was he was killed in such a time difference that it was tomorrow, but then the body wouldn't be shipped back in time to have it be the previous day (which would be December 31st), and bodies aren't burried right away anyway.

deimos the noob said no

#16 newb2

newb2
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

Thinking logically for the snail one, the snail wouldn't make it.

The other two are a-ok.

heh

#17 ¥~Ðårk Ñ€m€§í§~¥

¥~Ðårk Ñ€m€§í§~¥
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:39 AM

Only Possible answer is He was injured in 1958 B.C. and was buried in 1957 B.C. due to the reasoning that years BC went backwords to 0 instead of forward like now

Shaginator already figured this out i thought id just give a bit more detail.

Edited by ¥~Ðårk Ñ€m€§í§~¥, 26 August 2005 - 09:45 AM.

#18 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

its BC

Alrighty then!
The Shaginator has it!
You're all good, very good.
So, let try another with a bit more thinking to it.
DemonSkys might like it :(

Question #4:

One day, five mothers each brought their only child to the zoo. The children had a glorious time together watching the different animals and eating their favorite snacks. The kids were so good, at the end of the day each mother let her child get one item from the souvenir shop as they were leaving the zoo. Can you determine the full name of each child, each child's favorite snack and animal, and the souvenir each brought home?

1. Julia, who loves cotton candy, didn't like the elephants. Mary didn't get a caramel apple. The child who got the stuffed animal liked the giraffes best.
2. Alan Small, the girl who liked the lions, and the child who got the activity set didn't want to leave the zoo.
3. Neither of the boys got fried dough, but one got nachos and the other one liked the monkeys best. Tom didn't get a poster.
4. The Brown child almost got a coloring book with Mary but finally decided on a poster.
5. Tom, whose last name isn't Proctor, got a toy gun but didn't get a caramel apple. The MacGregor child had fried dough.
Beth, who didn't like the giraffes or the elephants best, got an activity set.

#19 Satterlee

Satterlee
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

I can only find 4 snacks and 4 animals...
I've seen more meds in my left nostril than you've seen in your life.

Poker in-game.

#20 Gunshow

Gunshow
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Julia Brown
- Cotton Candy
- Poster
- Lions

Mary MacGregor
- Fried Dough
- Coloring Book
- Elephants

Beth Proctor
- Caramel Apple
- Activity Set
- Monkeys

Alan Small
- Nachos
- Stuffed Animal
- Giraffes

Tom ???
- Cotton Candy
- Toy Gun
- Monkeys

Can't figure out Tom's last name, but thanks for something to do at work today. :(
Unless he has same last name as Alan, in which case it would be Small as well. :ph34r:

Edited by Gunshow, 26 August 2005 - 03:00 PM.

#21 fallen

fallen
  • Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

OWNED
we will pass judgement on the day of your doom

#22 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

Julia Brown
- Cotton Candy
- Poster
- Lions

Mary MacGregor
- Fried Dough
- Coloring Book
- Elephants

Beth Proctor
- Caramel Apple
- Activity Set
- Monkeys

Alan Small
- Nachos
- Stuffed Animal
- Giraffes

Tom ???
- Cotton Candy
- Toy Gun
- Monkeys

Can't figure out Tom's last name, but thanks for something to do at work today. :(
Unless he has same last name as Alan, in which case it would be Small as well. :ph34r:

Impressive, Gunshow!
Quite, I must say.
And you don't have to worry about Tom's last name or his favorite food because it wasn't stated in the question.
Very Good.

Now that I see how examining you all can be, not to mention clever, I proceed to the next question which takes quite a bit of thinking if you haven't heard it before. This is a hard question.

Question #5:

You are in a Round Room that has two doors, one which either leads to freedom or certain death. With you, in the room, are one pair of identical twins. One, which is an absolute truth teller, and the other, which is a complete liar. Now, the truth teller is also totally accurate in all his beliefs; all true propositions he believes to be true and all false propositions he believes to be false. The lying brother is totally inaccurate in his beliefs; all true propositions he believes to be false, and all false propositions he believes to be true. What is the one question, which has to be one-sided, that you can ask them and determine from what they answer, figure out which door leads to freedom?

#23 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

Ask one twin "Will your brother say you have the door to freedom?"

If yes, you are standing in front of death, if no you are standing in front of freedom.

Edit: Simplified answer.

Edited by Eternyte, 27 August 2005 - 09:34 AM.

#24 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Ask one twin "Will this door will lead me to a big volcanic explosion?"

If yes, you are standing in front of death, if no you are standing in front of freedom.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#25 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

Can't you just ask either twin a question you know all three of you know the answer to?

"Are your eyes <the actual colour of their eyes>?"

The truth teller will obviously say yes.

The liar will say no (and because you already knew the answer, you know this twin is the liar).
Posted Image

#26 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:08 PM

You only get one question though unless I'm mistaken.
Si Senior!

#27 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

Somebody has came very close to the actually question that gets you out.

#28 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

Question #5:

You are in a Round Room that has two doors, one which either leads to freedom or certain death. With you, in the room, are one pair of identical twins. One, which is an absolute truth teller, and the other, which is a complete liar. Now, the truth teller is also totally accurate in all his beliefs; all true propositions he believes to be true and all false propositions he believes to be false. The lying brother is totally inaccurate in his beliefs; all true propositions he believes to be false, and all false propositions he believes to be true. What is the one question, which has to be one-sided, that you can ask them and determine from what they answer, figure out which door leads to freedom?

You ask what the other twin would say about one of the doors. That is, "What would the other twin say if I ask them "Does this door lead to freedom"?"

If you are speaking to the truth-teller and they say "Yes", you know then that that door is NOT the door to freedom because the truth-teller knows that the other twin would lie and hence say what they would say.

If you are speaking to the liar and they say "Yes", you know then that the door is NOT the door to freedom because the liar would say the opposite to what the truth-teller would say.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#29 Bowlin

Bowlin
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

Question #5:

You ask what the other twin would say about one of the doors. That is, "What would the other twin say if I ask them "Does this door lead to freedom"?"

If you are speaking to the truth-teller and they say "Yes", you know then that that door is NOT the door to freedom because the truth-teller knows that the other twin would lie and hence say what they would say.

If you are speaking to the liar and they say "Yes", you know then that the door is NOT the door to freedom because the liar would say the opposite to what the truth-teller would say.

*Bing*Bing*Bing*Bing*Bing* We have a winner on who asked the right question correctly!
You deserve a well met pat on the back.
But that's not the end of the logic, though. I believe there are a number of questions still to come.
Quite brilliance and thinking everywhere. Let's look for more.
Now then, I'll make this a bit easier.

Question #6:

What is more powerful than God, more evil than the Devil, Poor people have it, rich people need it, and if you eat it you die.

#30 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:55 PM

Nothing.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users