• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

People have been talking about the wish for a boss in the Bone Garden to replace Necro Claus. The way he spawned in different locations was also quite popular. Here is my suggestion, basing it on the fact that the Drow have infested the Dark Woods above and defiled the Elven territory, and also why things are so evil that Pacifists cannot enter:

Name: Drow Necromancer
Undead: No
HP: 30,000
Armour: 2
Dexterity: 15
XP: 90
XP on Death: 50,000
Wisdom: 30
Drag Rate: 0%
Gold: 7500
Drops: Advanced Mana Crystal (50%), Superior Mana Crystal (19%), Life Essence (10%), Black Robes (10%), Skull Staff (10%), Elfstone (1%)
Spawn Spots: Any crossroads in the Bone Garden - only one may ever appear at any one time.
Spawn Rate: Daily (Might be hard to calculate considering the multiple spawn spots)
Kill to Pass?: No (although the Elven Barrow Wights may block you)
Attack Count: Single Attack
Attack Rate: 5 seconds with a 2-second variance.
Armour Piercing?: 10
Death text: killing her.

Description:

This Drow's dark career choice is questioned even by her own sisters. With a black cloak and even blacker skin, she is almost indistinguishable from the walls of the Bone Garden, save for a pair of sunken yellow eyes that stare straight through to your soul, which now feels distinctly more vulnerable within your mortal shackles.

Taunt Speech:

Drow Necromancer: Jalbyr quortek whol nindol phalar!

Death Speech:

Drow Necromancer: Dorn tlu kyorlin dos.

Attacks:

A Drow Necromancer attacked you with its Skull Staff for 75 points of damage.
A Drow Necromancer points her staff forward and drains the life out of you for 80 points of damage.
A Drow Necromancer circles her staff and erupts a severe bout of Necrosis upon you for 100 points of damage.
A Drow Necromancer slams her staff into the ground, and an Elven Barrow Wight suddenly erupts from a burial mound.
(Spawns an Elven Barrow Wight with a 30% chance of success)
A Drow Necromancer slips into the shadows.
(Invisibility)
A Drow Necromancer raises her staff into the air with both hands and screams loudly, casting Soul Steal upon you for 300 points of damage.
(This attack is rare. Other spell attacks are three times more likely to happen instead - done by making duplicate copies of the spells in the programming. The words "Soul Steal" are brilliant white in-game)

Alternatives:

If an undead being is desired, the boss could instead be named "Undead Drow Necromancer" and be made undead; this would have the added effect of making it extremely vulnerable to the Sword of Light, and a bit friendlier to teams of healers (who might otherwise have to run past the Drow Necromancer to safety). A bit of her lore may have to be changed to accommodate for an undead instead of a living necromancer.

Items:

Superior Mana Crystal - Go here.

Posted Image
Library info for Black Robes:
Armor base: 31, Can be worn by: clerics, mages, pacifists, Description: If it weren't for the pentagrams on the sleeves and back, you would be indistinguishable from a shadow upon wearing this. The resilient, silk-like material carries an essence of the Underdark that betrays its origin and the magic within., Level needed to equip it: 31, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 1, Charisma modifier: 0.

Posted Image
Library info for Skull Staff:
Base damage: 17, Can be used by: mages, Description: With a dark grey finish, this staff looks like a well-crafted emblem that could easily belong to the priest of some questionable cult... at least from a distance; upon closer inspection you get the sense that the shaft is pure calcified bone and the pygmy skull mounted atop is very real indeed. Now you truly wonder how this stave was crafted, and if you really want anything to do with it., Level needed to equip it: 31, Magical: Yes, Vamparic: 0.2, Armor: 0, Strength modifier: 0, Intelligence modifier: 0, Dexterity modifier: 0, Constitution modifier: 0, Wisdom modifier: 1, Charisma modifier: -3, Monster damage table: , Mana leech: .

EDIT: Forget some stats on the Skull Staff.

Edited by Crane, 18 July 2009 - 05:15 AM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

Looks good but rewards seems to be too general for mere mini-boss.
Does not play well with others.

#3 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

I like the concept. Good ideas. Seems like it could use some refinement tho. I fully support the Bone Garden getting a boss but this idea just doesn't fit my fancy.

Edit: The Yuletide Coronet wasn't much of a success in the past. I can't see more wis mods for mages being much of an attraction. Black Robes don't seem very fit for a cleric and since Pacis can't go down there I don't find that suiting.

Edited by Sausage, 18 July 2009 - 08:30 AM.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#4 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

this thing seems like it does an awful lot of damage. And like My friend above me said, the stat boosters are in the wrong place. Clerics would need to take -11 armour for say +5(not exactly sure) on healing. It's a bit of a loss really.

Also Mages would have no need for more wisdom really.

I would suggest for being undead and a necromancer a Poison attack. Also perhaps reconfiguring the drops. The stats look very interesting though :P

-Luke

#5 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5244 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

To my memory, the Bone Garden was never intended to have a boss.
I am always for more heal-damage bosses, since it gives me a way to train my clerics and paladin, but I don't know that it is likely to be added in that location. If so, I think Trev would want to design it.

I agree with the other posts about the drops though. They don't really make much sense for a mini-boss, which this would be according to the stats.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#6 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

I confess my creativity was lacking a little bit on the drops, especially since I'm running out of ideas and including Superior Mana Crystals and Elfstones and all; I was struggling to think of ideas that weren't unbalancing and didn't make obsolete an existing item too much. Suggestions would be very welcome, and poison is a good idea.

Something starts eating you out from the inside. (15-point poison - sort of a necrosis/flesh-eating virus)

The armour-loss on a Cleric wearing the Black Robes was intentional, while reducing the chance of fizzling on a Mage. Skull Staff is a choice for a darker Mage, even though the Vamparic property wouldn't find much use.

I feel like it's getting so much harder to design balanced and varied drops now. If someone else can offer suggestions for drops in this area, I'd be most grateful.

The Drow Necromancer is quite high-damage, but when alone is not too much higher than the Barrow Wights, and you can retreat if the going gets tough, either by logging or running if there are no Elven Barrow Wights on the square; the Soul Steal attack is uncommon and any double-casts on the same crit would be very unfortunate.

ADDENDUM: As said above, if an undead boss is sought after, it can be changed to "Undead Drow Necromancer" and have its description changed slightly.

Edited by Crane, 18 July 2009 - 05:00 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#7 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

Sorry for bein noobish, does Wisdom affect Fizzle rate on mages?

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

The higher the Wisdom, the less chance there is of a fizzle. Goes with all magic users.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#9 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

To refer you to an earlier development you made Gareth, perhaps the insane Orb with a triple Mod could be used as a sole rare drop here?

+1 Str +1 Dex +1Wis If I remember correctly and 1ac.

#10 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

That insane Orb was a 1-armour 'shield' that gave +1 Str, +1 Int and +1 Chr and could be used by Clerics, Mages and Pacifists for level 32+ (I think). That kind of item needs to be exceptionally rare and exceptionally hard to get, especially now that the Shackles of the Sea Witch exist.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#11 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

That's very specific. What happened to the idea of forming a simple storyline and then going from there. Public display of every little detail is a pretty big no-no in my eyes.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#12 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

That's very specific. What happened to the idea of forming a simple storyline and then going from there. Public display of every little detail is a pretty big no-no in my eyes.

I have no choice. I'm just a lowly player and I'm not trusted by the staff, so I have to show everything.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#13 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

I rarely see new multi items Crane, forgive me :P

#14 Elf

Elf
  • Game Staff
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

I rarely see new multi items Crane, forgive me :)

Ok I am going to believe either A you are totally blind..
or B you are a fool and not of this planet..

In the last few months not only were 'new' player suggested items introed..
but "new" Bosses with said items... all "new" all in Multi server.

Not sure where your post came from other than left field...
making you seem uninformed as sin.

Scary you post to the Wiki when you are so uninformed of what is being added ?

Elf :P

Meeting you was fate,
Becoming your friend was a choice,
But falling in love with you was beyond my control..

#15 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

I rarely see new multi items Crane, forgive me :)

Ok I am going to believe either A you are totally blind..
or B you are a fool and not of this planet..

In the last few months not only were 'new' player suggested items introed..
but "new" Bosses with said items... all "new" all in Multi server.

Not sure where your post came from other than left field...
making you seem uninformed as sin.

Scary you post to the Wiki when you are so uninformed of what is being added ?

Elf :P

Elfie, did somebody steal your chew toy again? Not saying that you aren't right here but hey, this come out a little mean.
Does not play well with others.

#16 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

What I've suggested above doesn't have to be followed to the letter. What's posted here are simple suggestions and guidelines. If staff like what they see, they can do with it as they please, testing and rebalancing drops and attacks to result in a boss that is worthy of Nightmist. If they don't like what they see, then it gets abandoned, and hopefully better luck on the next suggestion.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#17 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Elf - harsh, but I have not been here as much. However not to completely disprove your argument as you are a respected staffer so I'll keep the ragged tinned up.

./library soul ripper - No entry - 1alt
./library ANY NEW item, no entry 1alt

I cannot tell if these new items are HIGH end items or LOW end items.

I will pre-empt your apology to me and say it's ok, you weren't to know.

-Luke

EDIT: After 2 re-reads perhaps you are misunderstanding me, I meant I do not know of these items uses / stats / whereabouts. Maybe that clears up some air.

Edited by Masta, 19 July 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#18 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5244 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:29 PM

There are lots of new things on Main. Your poor grammar is the reason that Elf had to be harsh.
If you wrote, "None of the new things on Multi come to 1-Alt, so I haven't seen them."
You'd be in the clear.

However, you wrote that you rarely see new Multi items, which suggests that you don't see new items on Multi.
Thus, you sounded like a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.

You probably don't get an apology. Make yourself clear next time.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#19 Masta

Masta
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

No your completely wrong there she DID NOT HAVE TO BE Harsh, she chose to be.

Something a lot of the staff and playerbase needs to realise is that their fingers do the talking here. The brain controls the fingers, not the other way round.

And if any smart alec wishes to put technical jargon in there, feel free. I couldn't care less.

Not visiting or contributing to this topic again - Luke

#20 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

I'm sorry this topic had to collapse this way. Unless a member of staff can convince me to open it up again, I'm closing it.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users