Anyone Getting Wow Beta?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:46 PM

Is anyone downloading the World of Warcraft beta?

You can signup and download it at www.worldofwarcraft.com (theres actually still keys left to be handed out)

Its a freakishly huge though.A little under 2.5 gigs lmao.I started downloading it but if it hasn't sped up a little soon ima cancel it i think lol.

Atm my Estimated Time Left = 23 hours.And im on dsl lol....

Don't think anyone with 56k will be getting it :P
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#2 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:50 PM

i canceled it lol.Slightly pass on waiting 24 hours for it to finish

#3 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:00 PM

lol i started to download it, but the download just whitescreened on me!
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

~Agmar~

#4 Deathwish

Deathwish
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

Whitescreened? Thats new.. I thought windows only gave blue screens o.o
Out, out brief candle. Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets his hour on the stage and then is heard no more.

#5 Thrice

Thrice
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:09 PM

I'm 56k i'll download it soon; i can leave my internet on for ages. :P

#6 MCM

MCM
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

i thought about it, but after screwing with a security hack program my admin pass on my computer got changed(was the purpose of the program...just not changed to what i wanted it changed too), so i couldn't install it if i wanted to
The Smily Pill

#7 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:14 PM

Whitescreened? Thats new.. I thought windows only gave blue screens o.o

the downloader itself went white not the whole os
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

~Agmar~

#8 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

tbh I wouldn't bother downloading it yet if I were you... create an account, and then wait til tommorow. I have a 1mb connection and it's going at 10-20kb/second because so many people are downloading it... gonna take me 19-30 hours to download it.

#9 Darklin

Darklin
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:30 PM

nERDS! Nerds i say :P ^_^

01010100 01100001 01101100 01101011 01001110 01100101 01110010 01100100 01111001 01010100 01101111 01001101 01100101

#10 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:04 PM

not nerds.Just gamers so stfu :@

#11 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

tbh I wouldn't bother downloading it yet if I were you... create an account, and then wait til tommorow. I have a 1mb connection and it's going at 10-20kb/second because so many people are downloading it... gonna take me 19-30 hours to download it.

Yeh ima wait til tomorrow to finish the dl.I got 150 MB downloaded and the great thing about the blizzard downloader is that it resumes downloading where it left off XD

#12 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:30 PM

lol i'm leaving it going, coz im busy doing other stuff so I might as well.. i'm hoping it's going to get a major boost over night, and be done in the morning... but I don't really think it will lol

what class/race do ya plan on going? i'm not sure if i should go mage, paladin or priest... :/ burning people sounds cool (mage), smiting people with my huge moose off hammer sounds cool (paladin) and er... i just like priests lol. (not in nm coz nm seems to think that priests are healers and thats it.. pah)

#13 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

I set it downloading earlier, but its downloaded hardly anything so far :P
Its on 10% and keeps calculating my remaining download time as 1day 1-8hours before it calculates again.

However I am aware that it says something like "open beta only available to these countries which are not in europe"
Because I didn't have a nice, fake american address and zip code to put in the way I normally do for american sign ups, I used my normal english address... and so I'm wondering how long it will be before they tell me to get stuffed and wait for the english one ^^
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#14 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:12 PM

I'm on 26.4k dial up so I guess I'll probly be downloading it.

#15 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:48 PM

However I am aware that it says something like "open beta only available to these countries which are not in europe"
Because I didn't have a nice, fake american address and zip code to put in the way I normally do for american sign ups, I used my normal english address... and so I'm wondering how long it will be before they tell me to get stuffed and wait for the english one ^^

Erm, on the list I saw there was an option for United Kingdom, and it counted England as being a valid place. You should probably make sure you're getting the right version :P

#16 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:58 PM

I'm currently at 1798.92 MB downloaded, so only what 700ish more to go? I'm on dsl but it's going really slow thanks to my modem's internal firewall or something along those lines.

[edit] And maybe I'm mistaken but I thought due to the download being on bit torrent or however it's spelled meant more people = faster download because everyone can download off each other rather than all from one place.

Edited by Someone, 10 November 2004 - 12:00 AM.

嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#17 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:14 AM

Erm, on the list I saw there was an option for United Kingdom, and it counted England as being a valid place. You should probably make sure you're getting the right version ^_^

Indeed, there was a United Kingdom option which I selected, but on the FAQ it says that

Anyone with an Internet connection in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States can visit FilePlanet or Blizzard on the day the open beta begins to try to acquire an open beta account

It doesn't say that people in England and Europe can try to aquire an open beta account :D

Edit: Nvm- I just went back and actually bothered to read their terms of service...

Those who choose to access the Service from locations outside of the United States, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws if and to the extent local laws are applicable

So I guess England is just one of those places which does so on its own initiative ^^

I have a question though...

In order to establish an Account, you must be a 'Natural Person,' who is over the age of eighteen (18) years old or the age of majority in the country where you are a citizen. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, partnerships, or any other form of legal entity other than that of a "natural person" may not establish an account, and by accepting this Agreement, you hereby represent and warrant meet these eligibility requirements

So ... corporations (etc) aren't natural people, "legal entities" may not be natural people... does anyone else find the term "natural person" bizarre?

Also, to Someone: It isn't using bittorrent, its using Blizzard Downloader :P
However yes, as you say, it is also supposed to upload to other people as you download as bittorrent does.
However... just like bittorrent... its probably choked. I know whenever I try to download an overly large or 'popular' file on torrent I get the choked message so... something similar is probably clogging the Blizzard Downloader up.

Edited by Charon, 10 November 2004 - 12:52 AM.

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#18 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

woo, 6 hours to go.... I was going to use this chance to go out, but I really can't be bothered :P

About the 'natural people' thing... I think it may have something to do with them only wanting people who want to play the game to play for 'normal' gaming reasons (ie natural people), and not those from businesses or companies that are just there to have a look at the competition or try to find things that are wrong with it. Well, that's the best I can come up with in the 2 minute gap before my cream of chicken soup is ready... and now it is ready.

*wanders off mumbling to himself about what film to watch while eating lunch*

#19 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

i tried to download more of it, but its only going at 18/kb per sec.. lol

think ill just wait until the 23rd to buy it :P

#20 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:36 PM

well, I don't have a lot else to do atm so I might as well carry on - had today off coz of open day, tommorow off coz of open day, and computing on friday is cancelled, so I'm back at 10:30.. then I have the weekend lol

#21 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

Mine finished downloading last night but it still took quite a chunk of time to install (I just let it install while I was in Latin class) and I played a little this morning before the server was shut down for maintnance. So far it seems pretty good to me!

Talking to people in game some are having huge lag issues, but it ran smoothely for me (latency never went over 170 and averaged 70ish that I saw which was fine for gameplay). Yay, Uni is clased tomorrow I can waste away my life playing video games!
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#22 Joop Edwards

Joop Edwards
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:53 PM

Joops just gonna wait until da 23rd and buy da world of warcraft collectors edition :P..

OOOH! With collectors edition you get a special pet to pick from.Either a lil panda,a zergling,or a mini Diablo from diablo ii.

Joops going with da panda cause its cute and cuddly just like Joop.

#23 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:04 PM

lol i'm going to go for zergling because ill enjoy watching it rip your panda to pieces :P

#24 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:10 PM

I'm installing the game as I type so now would be a good time to talk about my class/race/profession.

I'm pulling for the name Warrick Dawnbringer, the Human Paladin. If all goes according to plan, I'll be working on becoming a good Herablist so my Alchemy skills can really benefit. That means that I'll be able to make buff potions that'll help both myself and my party.

I'll be leaning towards the Devotion Aura (additional armour to party) and the Blessing of Wisdom (greater mana regen. for the healers).

I won't worry too much about attack spells but Divine Protection/Divine Shield (immunity to physical attacks) will definately help me.

Not sure if Lay On Hands is a skill I have to obtain but it restores 100% of life (at the cost of no movement/action) which will help.

For weapons, I'm going to try for blunt ones (hammers, mostly).
Posted Image

#25 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:20 PM

I envy all you people.It takes far too long for me to dl it :P

Edited by Exor, 10 November 2004 - 09:20 PM.

#26 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:56 PM

I'm still downloading too - my pc crashed while I was at Uni, so I had to resume when I came home. I'm on 69% done at the moment... it shall take forever *sigh*

So... what servers will people be using?

I hear that servers 4 and 16 are frequented by the WoW-roleplaying association, but I havent yet decided if it would be feasible for me to rp in 3D while I'm messing with controls.
I'm thinking it through while I download.

Mayhaps if people told me what servers they were using/were likely to use, I could come and bother them there so that I have someone I know? :P

Edit: apparantly 34 and 35 (35 being mostly used by the wow-ra) are dedicated rp servers too... very tempting ^^ Might have to start up a character on an rp server just to see.

Edited by Charon, 11 November 2004 - 12:03 AM.

#27 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:11 PM

I envy all you people.It takes far too long for me to dl it ^_^

It took a good day or so to download it for me and I'm on dsl o.O But my firewall was an issue.

As for servers I'm on test 30 in the Pacific realm which is 'Normal' not really RP or PvP. But I'm not Someone you know either so that's probably not much help :P So far I've seen zero RP there but I guess that's expected. I don't play warcraft for RPing anyways, that's what I have other games for.

Edited by Someone, 10 November 2004 - 10:11 PM.

嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#28 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:53 PM

You take the term "someone I know" too literally :D
What I actually mean is "someone I've spoken to even once before" ^^

See, ironically my three (irl) friends who had been going on about joining the WoW stress test (but they missed that, so it switched to beta) and forming "The Triad" for months all missed the sign up accounts, and while I got a laugh out of that it also means I no longer have anyone to play with :P

I was just hoping I might be able to cling to some people so I have a head start on meeting people in game ^_^

So, you're on a PvE server hm?
Now see, I say that, but I actually don't know what PvE stands for, I've just picked up on the fact that it seems to be what people call the servers that arent all about PvP. Heh, I'm sure I'll work it out at some point- or if anyone knows, they could always tell me... ^^

Are you Alliance or Hoarde?

Edited by Charon, 10 November 2004 - 10:57 PM.

#29 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I'm on server 35 - the RP Server. ^^;

Character is created and now Warrick is a level 2 Paladin. ^_^

Edit: It seems my "session is expired". :P

Edited by Squee, 11 November 2004 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

#30 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:17 AM

I'm a level 3 Tauren Shaman so Horde for me :P
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users