Server Resets

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory67

Gregory67
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

So im wondering if its possible to get the Server Resets scheduled or atleast give us more than a 1 minute warning. Can we just go over the losses this causes us every single time? No point but can we discuss this somewhat. Gets annoying having progress get reset to 0.

1-Alt Only--Nighthawk In-game

#2 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:42 AM

I'm not familiar with how 1-Alt works in this regard. What progress is reset?

Are there areas you work through and log-off on some kind of "safe square" to be able to continue through a week or two? Or was this that you were actively online and the server reset kicked everyone?

I have only seen about 2-4 resets per year in recent years, but I could have missed several.

It looks like the Main Server reset, which cost me lots of sellable items that were sitting on the ground, but that is kind of a known consequence of not buying or using more vault space on the Main server. But crits are not sent to their local pub upon server reset.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#3 Gregory67

Gregory67
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:49 AM

Basically since we cant log on 20 crits we try to put safety nets in by dropping mana/pots. Or for instance you farm an area till the mana you dropped is gone and the drops you were gonna run out, those go and get deleted when the server resets. We have had 2 resets in the last 2 months. As far as I can tell it just puts our progress on things back really far. Really we like to fully utilize keys to the utmost due to the difficulty it takes to get some so a server reset can hit us hard if it is very short notice. Sorry if i am not making sense its late and im tired. Thanks for taking a minute to reply though.

#4 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

No reason to apologize at all. That definitely makes a ton of sense.

Are there any active 1-Alt Staff?

Perhaps a sort of event could be run with staff supporting as a party mana/health replenisher of sorts.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#5 Gregory67

Gregory67
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

Honestly, I was going to post the "They Exist" M&Ms commercial because thats how often we get staff online on 1alt. Also, another example would be if we tossed 1000+ pots for fighter tokens and those got deleted just to add to the problems. 

But yeah I don't think we have had any active staff since Wes or Stig were around and that is probably like 3-4 years ago.

#6 Rikku

Rikku
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Yes, this is a huge problem for us.  Like Greg says, there are so many places where we sometimes have to drop mana because since we don't have more than 1 char, we need to convince a group of people to come with to drop mana, every time we need to go because of difficulty of getting keys, or past ktp's to get in.  Example: I had my Druid in Orchard, farming drops.  I had 94 elder on ground to farm the area and get her red for level 35. I also had about 150 drops from killing the mobs on the ground that I was going to run out and sell when it was time to leave, losing me 94 elders plus over 150k in gold from not being able to sell the items I had farmed on ground.  The area isn't the most difficult to get to, but it takes 3 keys to get in. So we run mana in in bulk. Or as another example, Olist. Gotta get past 2 Maneaters to get there. Can't feasibly solo to get a char past, so another instance of having to get help to get there even. Also, to note, Andy did have potions thrown up for fighter tokens that he had to replenish. Really not cool. It's not just the gold for the mana, it's the loss of time, and energy of getting another group together to get you back, or having to use another set of keys.

~¤£íñЧéý¤~¤Èí£ðñWý¤~

#7 Kreshnic

Kreshnic
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

Just a thought, but it is likely that the sudden reset was as a result of needing the memory for other processes. 200+ items laying around could potentially cause some major server lag. A game this simple would likely not reflect the lag since it takes so little to run, while other processes on the same server might. I do agree that some warning at least would be ideal, but that is completely up to whoever is pressing the restart button.

#8 Rikku

Rikku
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:42 PM

Well, we just fixed everything in the last few days for the server reset. Double hypno'ing mobs in place in the really difficult areas, getting a few elders dropped, getting potions back into the fighter area for token running (cause no one will go if they aren't dropped already) Not to mention running to a boss the other day that we haven't killed in, years, and finally decided to go and it wasn't in because of reset.  All was back to normal, I only lost 200k gold or so due to reset, but I shrugged it off, even though a month ago it got me too for another 200k gold. Just camped my cleric with 70 elders or so to try to make some gold back, and hey guess what? Server reset again today.  Woohoo!! That's over half a million gold in losses now in roughly a month.  And that's just to me. Not to mention that Andy just ran his potions for fighter tokens, in hopes of finally getting those done, and he's lost them again.  It's so much work, and so much running, and just literally not doable to do certain things, WITHOUT dropping stuff! It's to be expected, we have to drop stuff! And I get where it's a matter of server lag, or what have you, but it's got to have been worse previously than it is right now. We use to leave just stacks upon stacks of maxed out bat flesh in the caves. Not to mention the pots/mana in multiple coli bosses, more people playing and dropping things in all sorts of different areas while camping, or even in their clan vault rooms just dropping on the ground, etc. There is just no way that in 4 days we accumulated enough crap to have this happen again. So here's the issue. I can't go anywhere actually good for money/exp on my characters unless I camp them deep somewhere, requiring either waaaaay too much effort to run back and forth every 20 minutes when I run out of mana or cost of a key every single time. But, I can't go and drop mana/supplies for my characters either apparently because I am now bleeding money because the server keeps eating all of my stuff. It's infuriating to me that you are basically required to camp certain areas/things in this game because of the way it's made, but apparently, we are being punished for doing so. ie. Farming for an Enigmatic Elixir for leveling. It takes 120 drops to make. Absolute best and really because of drop rate the ONLY place to farm the ectoplasms for it is Orchard. Orchard takes 3 keys and a spade to get into. So, you go in solo with 10 elders? And waste 3 keys that 1 of which is sold for 25k+ gold? No, you bring in a group and drop mana. Well, what do you do with your drops as you get them? Well, you throw them on the ground because you can't run out every 14 invents of items. So you spend weeks sometimes killing the same mobs over and over trying to get 120 of these drops, and then you run them out. But no, reset has eaten them off me TWICE now. Would be 3 times, if I had put my druid back in there in the last 4 days before yet another reset today. So I've started over collecting these items multiple times now due to reset. Either remove key requirements or stop resetting my stuff, this is ridiculous. I'm sick of spending 10+ hours to get things back to the way they were pre-reset, and not to mention paying for it. Reset screws you once in a month, fine.  Twice... I was angry but didn't say much. Three times in around a month? That is beyond ridiculous and affects more than just my gold, it's my time.  I've lost at least half a mil gold at this point. But I've lost days of time, from farming drops that disappeared and running back and forth dropping mana where it was necessary, like coli bosses. 

~¤£íñЧéý¤~¤Èí£ðñWý¤~

#9 Gregory67

Gregory67
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

Okay, I would like to point out that the server limit like 8 years ago was 1000 items on the ground for the simple fact that JLH the programmer and game owner never expected us to go over 999 and revamped that to what I believe to be 10k items. 

I dont believe having that many items in game affects his server limits at all and we only lag when we run onto a square with over 2000 items. That is the only time that it is ever noticeable. 200+ items on the ground is a joke when I have personally seen 1500 pots at Guruk for fighter tokens so we can get say all 5 tokens to go level a 35+ fighter before the new 1 alt leveling system that only covers up to level 39 and we still might have to toss more because the number of fighters that can go is so low or that want to go. 

Now some updates since we got a server update within 4 days.. Bosses that still hadnt spawned after 3 days and we had planned on checking tonight now wont be in till say October 16th? Why are we being punished for things JLH needs to do on his server for things that might not even affect Nightmist? Could we get a staff member to either force spawn things when a reset happens or maybe idk since it is 1 alt reduce daily spawns to few hour spawns(That way we can guarantee that the daily bosses would have spawned within 3 days[which is plain ridiculous])

Just some typical shenanigans. 

Edited by Gregory67, 12 October 2018 - 06:15 PM.

#10 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

I haven't lost nearly as much as these guys have but I agree.. its super annoying. I don't get much time to play NM these days and I do everything alone when I do play so its multiple runs/keys to drop pots or mana in areas for my little crits to stay in for any period of time. When a person plays as casually as I do.. sometimes solo running pots/mana takes up all of my playing time for that day.. and I get back on when I have time to actually use the items and level a bit and its all gone.. starting the cycle again. I'm not losing huge amounts so I probably shouldn't complain with the risk I am taking by dropping stuff and leaving it but this puts me in a spot where if I want to come out ahead in exp/gold for my time played I have to basically stick around towns or gate train hitting the same stuff.. which handicaps the exp/gold I can make and gets so extremely boring after a bit that I end up going afk or logging out.

I get we're all taking a chance on dropping stuff and I accept my losses but its so frequent lately that it would be great if there was a way we could get a little heads up! it would be much appreciated.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#11 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

This is a pretty big inconvenience, but nothing drastic.  I mean, this has happened numerous times over the years and you just kind of lose what you lose. But I will agree with Greg 100% that if at all possible, a notice should be given. At the least, maybe 24 hours.  I don't think that is too much to ask for.

Edited by Tietsu, 13 October 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#12 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:34 AM

server resets :D get on that thief and clean the grid all over again.  but yeah annoying to lose pots and stuff when just trying to train something is a chess match of having multiple classes to do this and that so u can train class 6 in peace in a decent area.  

p.s. delete rangers (<3 greg)

"Wake Up!!" 

#13 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

People need to just cut their losses with this game. I tried to login the other day and the client flashes like crazy when it opens and then when it stops having it's seizure it's bugged...

When things start falling apart it's an indication that the end is near. The game is super old and hasn't had a code update in years!

This post seems like a lie to deter players. Edited to avoid misleading visitors. - Gaddy

Re-edited. - This is an issues. Sorry, I do not use full-screen; so I had never seen it, but it is an issue. - Gaddy

Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#14 Grahn

Grahn
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:31 AM

You on windows 10 and trying to run game on fullscreen?

If you are, dont😜
Hunchback, 1alt

#15 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

Cadabra, I think you are having computer issues. No one else has cited any issues with the client failing or being bugged.

I have never had the client bugged. 

I was wrong. There is an issue with going full-screen.

#16 Terron

Terron
  • Members
  • 2121 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

it wont go full screen on windows 10, but you can play with it a bit and set the exe to run in whatever aspect you want. (run as admin)  you might have to change resolution to something thats not 1200x3000 pixels. but it should run full screen although all the pictures will be fatter :D

"Wake Up!!" 

#17 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:55 AM

Welp I know this wasn’t the thread with the most recent posting when I was here the other day. With the forums deader than a door knob, you guys probably don’t have to worry about deleting forum posts that mention other games. I’m just saying! :-p

Now I can’t remember the name of that other game posted to find the URL so I could try it out! Baawwww
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#18 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

Aww did my post about the other game get deleted? Not many people care for Nightmist nowadays since the game is pretty dead so why stop them moving on?

Anyone that wants to play a new game hit me up before my post gets deleted, again.

Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users