• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

This is an idea that stems from a few other RPGs out there: Reputation.

Basically, killing certain monsters or bosses grants you units of "reputation" for a particular faction, or takes points away from others.  For example, killing Rel-Thon will grant reputation for the "Nightmist City" faction, while killing the enchanted sword (your prize after you kill enough Bandits) will grant you reputation for the "Empire of Harabec" and killing the Time Knight will grant you reputation for "Windia", while on multi-alt, completing the Inquisitor quests will grant you reputation for the "Inquisitors", but also reduce your reputation with the cities that their targets are associated with.

Having a good reputation will allow you to enter certain shops and areas, as well as being extra points to collect that are visible in your look-over or something.  At the same time, having a terrible reputation with a certain faction may allow you into the base of their mortal enemies or something.

But here's the catch... when you kill a monster or boss (mostly bosses) that grants reputation, the entire party get the reputation reward, not just the crit that landed the kill-shot, so there is incentive to team up even if you don't stand much of a chance of winning the main item prize, or already have it.

It may be a bit too in-depth for Nightmist, especially considering the realm has been designed without such reputation for a while, but it may add an extra layer of depth to the game - what do you think?

Other minor examples...

- Killing Lion Cubs will drastically reduce your reputation with naturalist groups (e.g. the Coven) because of breaking the rules of the hunter (pregnant females and cubs and their mothers are off-limits).  Raising this reputation again takes effort, such as from killing Skeletons (which give much less reputation).

- Clearing out undead from desecrated locations such as the desecrated church will increase your standing with spiritual groups, while killing the innocent and defenceless (Mourners, Wounded Druid) will reduce it, as well as make city factions wary of you (after all, you are murdering the innocent).

- Having a good reputation with Resthaven (for example) will allow access to Megron's Amulet Shop, while having a poor reputation with the city stops you from using their tavern.

- Some factions are almost impossible to gain reputation with (e.g. "House of Ku'Nal"), so infamy with such factions just shows the playerbase how much you hate them!

Side-effects hopefully include:

- Encouraging team-work so multiple players can share high reputation gains from bosses.
- Encouraging more diverse training by hunting for monsters that give reputation to particular factions.
- Encouraging parties to fight the monsters along the way to a boss, in case they give small reputation gains themselves.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#2 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Ya or if you dont want it to be so in dept about cities you can make it based on trade reputation, pking reputation etc, having a poll people can take based about you.

Peacemaker both servers.

#3 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Well, a small extension to the reputation system that ties in with PvP...

If you PK someone, your victim's reputation will work against you... if they have more than 1000 reputation points with a particular faction, you get 10% of that value taken off your own reputation with that faction.  At the same time though, if they have -1000 reputation points, or a greater infamy, you get 10% of that value given to you as reputation.  So someone who has done a lot of the Harabec quests may not be a wise person to PK if you like using the empire's facilities.  This would finally give players a penalty for being rampant PKers, whereas before they can practically get away with it while all the penalties to onto the victim.  Note that the victim won't take any hit to their reputation values.

1000 reputation points will be roughly what you are rewarded with for killing a boss, although the faction you get it for depends on the boss in question.  The Hedge Lord would give reputation for Dendeya, while the Demonic General would give you reputation for Arilin and some for the Coven.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#4 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Sounds a little bit too much tbh. I was more or less just suggesting a player rating system with different selections for other players to rate you based on how you are.

Peacemaker both servers.

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

Well, the percentage can be evaluated and tinkered with.  The problem with asking players to rate other players is that it very easily falls foul of cliques - probably not so much today, but a couple of years ago, the 1-alt server was dominated by two clans of roughly equal power, so you can guarantee that the two chairpersons will get a huge swath of negative votes from the opposing clan, along with any smaller clans or lone players who have fallen foul of their ruthless marauding.

Generally I like to avoid any suggestions what revolve around a player's reputation being decided by other players because of such risks.  Something analytical and tied in with the game directly tends to be safer and fairer.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#6 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, using bombs and potions can be covered, as can PKing your own alt, and not counting kills in arenas etc, although even if you do find a way around all of the safeguards, the PKer's reputation goes opposite to their victim's reputation, so if they are well-liked by Resthaven, killing them will harm your own reputation with Resthaven, and if they are hated by the Children of Cernnunos (a sort-of Druid/Ranger collective), then killing them increases your reputation with them.  Mind you, I can see the potential problem of a "sacrifical" crit that is deliberately given an exceedingly bad reputation with most factions so killing them boosts their assailants' standing, so in that respect it's probably better not to reward players with reputation in that case... besides, I want to avoid giving more prizes to PKers.

The reputation is meant to be more personal and not so easily skewed like score, and make it appealing to go on boss trips to take down enemies that give high reputation rewards, as they will allow you into certain shops.  If anything though, I'd like to see what kind of depth it will give to the game.  In regards to 'actions', it can be tied into mini-quests like with Kayla's Brooch giving you a boost to reputation with Nightmist City and maybe a generic 'faction' like Chivalry or Altruism.

Obviously I don't want it to be abused if possible.  The other problem with PKing your own alt is that while you can potentially find a way to play the reputation system, you will be losing a lot of XP and character score.  Curses, good ideas, but so many loopholes that have to be thought about.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#7 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

great idea.. less complicated if this would only cover players vs monsters .. player rating system wouldn't work at all on multi alt, nearly everyone would cheat if there were rewards to be gained from it.

Pulsar, Gremlin or Old_Dog in game. (multi alt only)

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, I think you're right.  Much more easily controlled too.  Players vs Monsters only.

Examples of faction gains and losses:

- Bandit Leader: +50 to Empire of Harabec.
- Captain Wylsen: +100 to Silversail Port.
- Demonic General: +1000 to Arilin, +1000 to Children of Cernnunos.
- Einon: +1000 to Nightmist City, +100 to Guild of Magicians, +100 to Tatsu of Australis, -100 to Tatsu of Kyriarchia.
- Enchanted Sword: +25 to Empire of Harabec. (this 'monster' is the prize for killing a lot of bandits on 1-alt)
- Gh'ul'arg: +100 to Children of Cernnunos.
- Giant Sand Wurm: +1000 to Silversail Port, +100 to Scarlet Daggers Guild.
- Goblin Elder: +1000 to Children of Cernnunos.
- Lion Cub: -1000 to Children of Cernnunos. (yeah, don't kill them!)
- Locksmith: +100 to Blackthorn.
- Mayor Tvarti: +25 to City of Sarka.
- Mourner: -10 to Arilin, -10 to Blackthorn, -10 to City of Dendeya, -10 to City of Sarka, -10 to Empire of Harabec, -10 to Kantele, -10 to Nightmist City, -10 to Resthaven, -10 to Silversail Port, -10 to Tirantek.
- Mysterious Chest: +25 to Nightmist City, +100 to Altruism.
- Rel-thon's Chest: +1000 to Nightmist City, -1000 to Scarlet Daggers Guild.
- Skeleton: +1 to Children of Cernnunos.
- Woobie: +1000 to The Inquisition, -50 to Arilin, -50 to Blackthorn.
- Wounded Druid: -50 to Children of Cernnunos.
- Zanitos: +50 to Nightmist City, +25 to Children of Cernnunos, +25 to Guild of Magicians.

Some of the factions like Altruism and Guild of Magicians probably won't reflect on anything in the game, but still nice to get them up high to show off!  Tirantek is naturally distrusting from the off, so earning their trust over time could be something you have to earn in order to get more out of the place. Children of Cernnunos would cover both Natura and the Coven.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#9 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Fantastic idea!

I cant be bothered to type up my thought as i dont play but Fantastic.

Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#10 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I quite like this idea. I support it being only pvm considering pvp would be difficult to balance and easily manipulated. Just some thoughts I had:

Would every reputation gain be visible upon the killshot?

Would all characters have to be in the party to gain the reputation? What if the party was split for spell requirements or someone had accidentally left the party? Could all characters on the square gain points? (specifically thinking about bosses)

Make some reputation equipment have a new stat: reputation minimum. If a certain amount of reputation would allow a character to purchase any equipment, it should be able to be equipped by only that character. Encourage people to focus on one single character instead of passing around equipment to 10 others, and make reputation equipment more valuable.

Higher reputation for a city could lower the prices in that city's shops.

The harder the boss, the more reputation should be gained.

I love the new mini-quests, and I would hope that if reputation is implimented more quests would be created for each town/faction.

Corinne in-game.

#11 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Well, the mini-quests are what I had in mind, like the Mysterious Chest (Kayla) and the Enchanted Sword (killing Bandits) giving reputation to their respective cities.

I was thinking about the whole 'party' thing, and considering it's based on monster kills, it might be better if it gives it to everyone in the room for the following reasons:

- The party being split so Cleric spells don't affect everyone due to cost (e.g. Righteous Fury).

- The party leader spitefully disbanding the party so the reputation can't be shared.

- Someone kill-stealing a boss.

With the current game engine, decreasing shop prices may be a bit hard to program unless a different shop is employed that is locked to a required reputation for a particular faction (or maybe more than one reputation + faction requirement).  It would be easier to simply lock off an entire shop until your reputation is good enough.  The problem with a reputation stat on an item is the problem of what happens when you fall below the threshold while wearing it.

One side-effect that would happen if shops were locked off is that those who can access the shops might end up re-selling the items at a premium, but it all depends on what players are willing to pay for it, whether they wait until their own reputation increases, or pay a higher price from a player.

And yes, every time a monster dies, it will display the relevant reputation gains/losses, if it gives any, to those in the room.  This should probably be toggleable with /toggle reputation or something.  As for viewing your list of reputations and factions (those at exactly 0 won't be shown at all), there could be a "/faction" command, but when it comes to viewing the factions of others, I'm not sure if you should be able to look them up (like with "/who") or voluntarily show them to others (like with "/showstats").

Tougher bosses should give more reputation, as well as bosses that don't spawn as often.  Obviously, if it were implemented, it would be something that the staff should sit down and discuss... not just the reputation amounts but what factions there should be.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#12 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was thinking about the whole 'party' thing, and considering it's based on monster kills, it might be better if it gives it to everyone in the room for the following reasons:

- The party being split so Cleric spells don't affect everyone due to cost (e.g. Righteous Fury).

- The party leader spitefully disbanding the party so the reputation can't be shared.

- Someone kill-stealing a boss.

If possible I think this should be only for boss kills. I wouldn't want someone standing on my square to gain reputation while I'm killing monsters, also it would be easy for someone to afk and leech a ton of reputation off someone else. Full square reputation should be rewarded for bosses and mini-bosses only.

As for a reputation stat on equipment, I think that if you get the reputation to equip an item, who cares if you drop below the required threshold. You should be rewarded for the achievement. Sucks to be you if you unequip it.

I think the list of factions and rep should be similar to /levels or /achievements and be seen only by the single character. A leaderboard on site for the highest reputations would be cool as well.

Edited by Sarah, 28 January 2013 - 09:06 PM.

Corinne in-game.

#13 Adultery

Adultery
  • Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

cool idea

Adultery - Diabolic-Clorox

#14 ketchup

ketchup
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

I got a noob reputation, its all good :)

1alt : Titan / Viper / Exellency / Rampage. Main : Predator / Frostie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1-alt, suggestion, multi-alt, reputation, teamwork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users