Photo

Vote On Removal Of /toggle Who

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Remove /toggle who?

Remove /toggle who?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Morning all,

Im just wondering what the idea is behind the /who issue on main…. Whenever I log on, it often looks like I am the only person on, or that only 3 people are on when there may be 20 or more crits logged on. This is due to the fact the people have been given the ability to hide crits they are on.

Im just interested in the reasoning behind this, as to me all it does is make it look like there is no one on the server and its even more dead then it actually is.

I don’t see any real benefit for it?

Any thoughts?

Lew
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#2 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

I guess it was for solitary players who always camped certain spots not wanting to be pked.

#3 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Doesn’t seem to be a valid reason to make a game look dead!

Pking is part of the game, and its so quite now there is little chance of that happening any how.

Personally i think it should be reversed and put back to how it was. Unless the idea is to kill of the server totally
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#4 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

I agree, no idea why it hasn't been brought up before :lol:
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#5 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

Just type /server to see the total amount of players online

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#6 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

"/toggle who" was backed and championed by Trevayne back in the day. I doubt he'll support its removal even if he is mostly absent. I do agree though that hiding should be removed just for the sake of showing it's not a dead game.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#7 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just type /server to see the total amount of players online

That doesn’t give a decent representation for those that are playing the game - you cant page any one to see who is about.
To be honest - im not convinced it should be any particular staff that back or don’t back it. I think the vast majority of players would agree its pointless. I think the vast majority of staff would do.

With the amnount of gold in the server, the last thing players should be worried about is people knowing they are online...

I think its doing mostly harm and no good - the only people it seems to benifit is the few top players who have a party set up for each area. Im guessing it was added so that if i see xxx crit online i know that xx players is in xx area. (IE if i see 2 or 3 particular druids have been logged on for hours and hours i know to go and kill them in the mansion as they are farming keys.)

#8 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Everyone wants it gone, the only reason it doesn't happen is because people assume what Trevayne would want, who never logs on anymore and who probably doesn't care either way.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#9 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

But might log on just to stop people changing it.

#10 Tyler

Tyler
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

I agree that it should be reverted back to the way it was. I also agree with pretty much everything that's been said in this thread.

For those that wish to remain anonymous, they should be stealthier and switch characters more if you think people are going to catch on and come PK you. PKing is part of the game, so that should be no excuse.

For those of you that /toggle who just so people don't bug you, go in CH or somewhere random and /dnd. :lol:

Edited by Tyler, 02 September 2011 - 01:26 PM.

CEO & Founder of Twisted Tactics.

In-game

Multi: Veles or Elixir

1-alt: Liability

#11 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

The remaining main server players have been trying to get /toggle who removed for quite some time now. But it doesn't appear it'll happen any time soon, if at all.
Jaded ingame.

#12 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Rofl.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#13 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

I don’t understand how one staff member can hold sway over all others, especially if inactive.

I have allot of respect for Trev, we always got on whist I was active however i disagree with this decision it seems very negative. (Same per the daft time we had when it was dropped to NOPK – that was when I quit last time heh)

And while i agree that player opinions are not always in the best interest of the game and staff know best etc, i also think that one staff member should not hold more sway then the opinions of every one else. That honour can only go to JLH - and if he wants the rule to stay it would only be because the server is dying and its helping (Which is his decision to make at the end of the day)

Im going to the states on work for a week so i wont be back till next Monday. (Out of interest any one form the Canton area of Ohio shout up - ive never been to the USA before and wouldn’t mind knowing whets what!).

I think that’s ample time for some one to man up and get this changed lol!

Lew

xxx

#14 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

I think we've made 2-3 posts about this, got some feedback and its still been ignored. I kinda just gave up on it all.. a good 90% if not more of main players that are left or coming back want it gone. I think staff should seriously look into this as it can't hamper anything on multi it can only benefit.

heres one

To be completely honest I thought there were more glaring issues to staff at the time in the first post and I was posting against the idea, but once I actually sat down and wieghed out the advantages to disadvantages I have been all for getting rid of the toggle who.

heres the one i posted

A few of us RJ, Jose and Myself along with some others have taken it into our own hands since it hasn't been likely for it to be changed and we just keep all of our characters in the open so it looks more active and so people can see us to page if they need help when we are on.. problem with that is we cant always be on and others are still hiding so it looks like there is either none or just a couple playing. I wish everyone would do this but its unlikely.. so please remove it. I don't see any logical reason to why it is still an option.

Edited by Gnarkill, 02 September 2011 - 05:06 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#15 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

I've added a pole on this topic to get an accurate opinion on this. Please vote!

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#16 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Teh lew has spoken!

#17 Scripto

Scripto

~teh Scripto

• Game Staff
  • 1628 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Honestly I don't mind either way, I don't think I don't use it on any of my parties anyways...

But in all reality if everyone on main is against it, then it don't seem like a point in having it...

But then again... if everyone on main is against it.. then if everyone just stopped using it wouldn't the solve the problem as well?
For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.

Ingame:
Scripto (Staff)
Kannabis (Mortal)

#18 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Honestly I don't mind either way, I don't think I don't use it on any of my parties anyways...

But in all reality if everyone on main is against it, then it don't seem like a point in having it...

But then again... if everyone on main is against it.. then if everyone just stopped using it wouldn't the solve the problem as well?

I did that.. and you know how I am with my privacy sometimes lol either way thank you gaz for making a poll and thank you mark for taking notice and posting. and of course thank you to RRRRRRRewitz for posting and bringing it to attention again!

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#19 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

Sadly the world doesn't work like that, it's like dropping your guns. Everyone would like too, as long as they can count on their neighbor doing the same.

If you feel like you're getting tracked, wear aluminum foiled hats and talk gibberish like the rest of the nutters. For anyone else, remove it and play like regular folk again.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#20 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Everyone wants it gone, the only reason it doesn't happen is because people assume what Trevayne would want, who never logs on anymore and who probably doesn't care either way.

Prototype - I disagree. There are various reasons people would want it enabled. I like it because I can hide all but my party leader, allowing people to contact me, but not allowing them to see my specific characters.
ie- If you see Gaddy on, you don't know if it is just my druids to get Elder Treant, my clerics for SK/DG, or my whole party anywhere in-game. That seems very fair to me. You shouldn't be able to see my exact party and what I am focused on doing.

Abstract - That is just prat nonsense. Don't insult someone you clearly know nothing about. He did a lot for Nightmist, and he is not one to enforce something out of self-interest.

Either way, the server is not active enough for it to make a big difference.
If players REALLY want it to be disabled, they simply will /toggle on. If everyone is against the command, as claimed, why do people hide their characters?

I personally like the command. I don't think players should see exactly which characters I am using, and I allow my main/party leading characters to be visable so that people can contact me when I am online. What is wrong about that?
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#21 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

I thought that if they wish to see which party you are on, they can still do so through the site. So if they see Gaddy on, they check your clan, or your diff. characters and can spot which boss you are most likely to be fighting.

In any case, John, if he would change it, could change it to always having to show 1 character per IP/Computer ID. Toggling all your chars means the system picks a random one to show on /who, toggling all but one means the system shows the one that isn't toggled.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#22 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

It just looks better to new players and those thinking if making a return to see a big list of 50 crits running about instead of 3.

#23 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

....new people sign into Nightmist?
Is this true or theory?
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#24 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Should add it to 1-alt.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#25 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Should add it to 1-alt.

Definitely. With the limited areas that certain classes can get to, it's not hard to sweep the server for them in no time. People see a cleric on and generally go check bosses. I think the /who is used to wreak havoc on the server far more than it ever was on main.
Autek in game.

#26 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

....new people sign into Nightmist?
Is this true or theory?

not to nitpick or start a argument because you and I have always gotten along Gadster, but is there any proof or is it theory that they don't? I've recently tried to introduce two irl friends to multi that have never played NM before, both were discouraged from lack of players/help when i couldn't be online(hence me getting rid of all those little 3/4 stats awhile back, those were for them to try the game). Maybe noone was /toggled at the time and maybe they were I dunno I wasn't online to check, but if I introduce 2 and they quit 2-3 days after I show them the game giving a reason of "lack of playerbase" then i wonder how many others briefly try the game and get discouraged.

Edited by Gnarkill, 04 September 2011 - 07:29 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#27 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

There are 8 characters online, (6 users).
Server Started: 08-30-2011 08:14:50

There are 6 characters online, (4 users).
Online users: Autek, Eli (AFK), Ferocity (AFK), Hancock (AFK), Hulk, Juls.

Could change it to:

There are 8 characters online, (6 users).
Online users: Autek, Eli (AFK), Ferocity (AFK), Hancock (AFK), Hulk, Juls, Hidden, Hidden.

Quick and easy fix that gives people the option of being hidden if they choose, and it doesn't make the /who list any shorter.

Edited by Autek, 04 September 2011 - 07:37 PM.

Autek in game.

#28 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

By removing this, wouldn't we just be lying to new players?

It wouldn't take them long at all to page a random character, then soon find out that its merely one person on 20 alts.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#29 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Basically, yes. It makes it look as though the server is far more active than it is. Back in the day when there was an argument as to which server was more active, people used to cite the server stats, but they're completely useless in that regard since they depict each character online rather than users.

Making it look active wouldn't be a bad thing initially, but like you say, when they realize that it's really just one or two people it might leave a bad taste in their mouth.
Autek in game.

#30 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

^^ the public have spoken!

Though i would guess if you only include main people it may be even more of a land slide heh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users