Should I Buy It?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:30 PM

I am considering getting the game Phantasy Star Online for my dreamcast (also need a browser disc)...its cheap and got over 100 5star ratings in the reviews...
should i get it? or version 2?
(btw cant get it for GC or Xbox, only got DC)
is the game any good?
plz explain

and gimme advice if u think i should buy it...plz only post here if u have the game

Edited by archmaster, 18 June 2004 - 12:41 PM.

You and me, We'll all go down in history, With a sad statue of liberty, and a generation that didn't agree

#2 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

This is one of the best games ever, and if you don't buy it my cult will at your front door. Yes, I have the game for GCN and PC, and I used to have it for DC when I had one (sold it). o yeah, V. 2 is FAR superior to V. 1.

#3 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

so should i buy v.2 instead?
You and me, We'll all go down in history, With a sad statue of liberty, and a generation that didn't agree

#4 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

yes, if you have the option, but if you can't get v.2, at least get v.1

#5 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:15 PM

I'll buy v.1, cuz its cheaper, but im curious...which one is more heavily populated?
I'de like to get the version which has more ppl online
and, do i need a memory card? or a browser disc?

#6 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:16 PM

You will need a memory card... or space on the memory card I presume you already own... for your character ^^
I have a couple of characters scattered across different memory cards for DC version1 (never did get hold of v2 :) )

And you used to be able to download extra offline missions... I don't know if thats still going, I haven't hooked my dreamcast up to the internet for quite some time now ^^

On the rare occasions when I used the internet with the game I never noticed that I needed a browser disk... I don't remember using one, so I will assume I didn't need one ^^;;

It is a good game though... unfortunately pure hack'n'slash if you don't have people you can meet up with online, and most of my friends in the DC community kinda vanished once they decided their DC's were better as doorstops :)

So, bootlegging the asking for opinions... is it worth me rigging up my DC's internet connection again and giving the DC PSO community a wave? For old times sake? ^^
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#7 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:26 PM

You will need a memory card... or space on the memory card I presume you already own... for your character ^^
I have a couple of characters scattered across different memory cards for DC version1 (never did get hold of v2 :) )

And you used to be able to download extra offline missions... I don't know if thats still going, I haven't hooked my dreamcast up to the internet for quite some time now ^^

On the rare occasions when I used the internet with the game I never noticed that I needed a browser disk... I don't remember using one, so I will assume I didn't need one ^^;;

It is a good game though... unfortunately pure hack'n'slash if you don't have people you can meet up with online, and most of my friends in the DC community kinda vanished once they decided their DC's were better as doorstops :)

So, bootlegging the asking for opinions... is it worth me rigging up my DC's internet connection again and giving the DC PSO community a wave? For old times sake? ^^

dont have a memory card :)

#8 Thrice

Thrice
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:04 PM

Get one then, retard.

#9 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:14 PM

i just did :)
dont make fun of ppl with dissabilities...:)

is the PSO for dc server still on? i only wanna use it online
, still need 2 buy it

Edited by archmaster, 20 June 2004 - 07:15 PM.

#10 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:27 AM

no, DC PSO is no longer online... I cried the day it was announced... infact, it's bring tears to my eyes just posting this message. It took months of therapy before I could move on.

get a freaking gcn man, DC are illegal in America now anyway.... something about "disturbing the peace"...
(yes I made that up)

(or did I)

(I wonder)

(I could have)

(but probly not)

(but maybe)

*cue twilight zone music*

#11 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:51 PM

no, DC PSO is no longer online... I cried the day it was announced... infact, it's bring tears to my eyes just posting this message. It took months of therapy before I could move on.

get a freaking gcn man, DC are illegal in America now anyway.... something about "disturbing the peace"...
(yes I made that up)

(or did I)

(I wonder)

(I could have)

(but probly not)

(but maybe)

*cue twilight zone music*

even the 2nd version?

#12 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

It was my understanding both versions of pso for dc are now offline, and I really don't feel like checking it myself atm.

#13 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:56 PM

can u plz check version 2?

#14 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

Considering the DC kahked it over 2 years ago, one would be led to believe the service is no longer available.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#15 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:25 PM

One never knows ^^
But I will point out that initially they did leave the servers for pso open despite the fact the machine had sunk "to thank their supporters"... but yes that was two or so years ago, so... doesn't look good really.
Since we moved our stuff around, I can't manage to get my dreamcast anywhere near a phone line so I can't hook it up to check... :S

However they (apparantly, according to the guy who works at my local GameStation store) recently released their (long withheld) development rights, therefore allowing random people noone has heard of to make games noone has heard of for the dreamcast system... that will thus be fairly cheap due to the lack of any knowledge about them.

If indeed the servers are long gone, that might be enough to kick start a few of their servers back into gear, if the machine picks up some interest again and they see some profit in it... as I understand it, such companies commonly think profit is a good thing ^^

Besides, I like Sega and I miss being able to buy games for the dreamcast in proper shops. I kinda want that rumour to be true... because if its true maybe Sega will come back a little... and will translate a coupla games that never made it to the uk for the sheer hell of it. I really wanted to play the Nadesico game... and I never did find a copy, even in Japanese :)
Oh tja- I still maintain (for those who argued with me long long ago) that Grandia2 for dreamcast is far superior to the PS2 version :)
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#16 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

The day Sega canned the Dreamcast, and revealed they would no longer be making consoles, my heart broke into a million pieces.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#17 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:37 AM

I think everyones hearts broke... other than those facist pigs that buy sony.

*hides ps2 in closet*

#18 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:45 AM

I'll buy v.1, cuz its cheaper, but im curious...which one is more heavily populated?
I'de like to get the version which has more ppl online
and, do i need a memory card? or a browser disc?

there is about 4-5 people online lasttime I checked and it only works with dialup

maybe 1-2 hidden legits that play in the shadows

rest are coders/hackers that want to delete your chars and can via codes
Page/Memo Beatrix

#19 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

have you checked lately? cuz according to Sega its now offline only....

#20 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

One never knows ^^
But I will point out that initially they did leave the servers for pso open despite the fact the machine had sunk "to thank their supporters"... but yes that was two or so years ago, so... doesn't look good really.
Since we moved our stuff around, I can't manage to get my dreamcast anywhere near a phone line so I can't hook it up to check... :S

However they (apparantly, according to the guy who works at my local GameStation store) recently released their (long withheld) development rights, therefore allowing random people noone has heard of to make games noone has heard of for the dreamcast system... that will thus be fairly cheap due to the lack of any knowledge about them.

If indeed the servers are long gone, that might be enough to kick start a few of their servers back into gear, if the machine picks up some interest again and they see some profit in it... as I understand it, such companies commonly think profit is a good thing ^^

Besides, I like Sega and I miss being able to buy games for the dreamcast in proper shops. I kinda want that rumour to be true... because if its true maybe Sega will come back a little... and will translate a coupla games that never made it to the uk for the sheer hell of it. I really wanted to play the Nadesico game... and I never did find a copy, even in Japanese :P
Oh tja- I still maintain (for those who argued with me long long ago) that Grandia2 for dreamcast is far superior to the PS2 version :P

right on sister!

#21 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:46 PM

wouldent suprise me
Page/Memo Beatrix

#22 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:48 PM

huh? is it online still or not?

#23 archmaster

archmaster
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 05:01 PM

im still waiting for som1 to check, just in case...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users