A New Nightmist - Would You Play

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:09 PM

... if the following was brought in (with reasons for every change)

remove both the main and 1-alt servers (Having 2 servers splits the playerbase)

Start up a new server, using the maps/shops/guilds ect from main (coz people from both servers will know where everything is)

It would have the extra stam ect from 1a, and would be limited to 6 alts per player (people used to use around this number of alts when NM was at its best)

Of those 6 alts, you may log a max of 1 berserker at a time (to prevent boring overpowerd zerk/cleric parties dominating - can say that if you have more than 1 zerk theyt just fight amongt each other!)

Passyfists will be brought in after 6 months. (so they dont wreck the economy early)

Some maps (like halls of ail, tirantek, and dense jungles) would be changed slightly (death trap areas, would need to be re-explored :ph34r: )

At the moment there is very little competition on either server, main coz the playerbase has been depleted and it is nopk anyway, and 1a coz one clan is so much more powerful than the others.
The biggest rivalry in NM however, is unfightable - even in an arena. Thats because it is main VS 1alt.
So, the playerbase of each server would get to elect a chairman, and the 2 chairmen would each get a free l10 crit with a clan and clanhouse, and players of that server would be encouraged to join its clan. This would encourage a rivalry between ex-main and ex-1a players.

And finally, probably the biggest change.

All current accounts and crits on both servers would be transferred over to the new server. If accs had same names, the 1a one would be appended '1a', if crits had same name the one with lowest exp would be appended.
Crits would lose all thier exp, gold and items (just like a fresh roll).
This would achive 3 things:

1)Would let players keep thier names and stop name stealing
2)Would be part compensation to existing players for losing thier crits
3)Having loads of high statted unlevelled unwanted crits lying around would devalue the roller, which is a VERY GOOD thing. Take 2 people, one gets a party together and kills the TK, earning a bot. A second sits on the roller all day and churns out a 6er. The first is playing the game, the second is playing luck and earning Nightmist Gold without actually playing Nightmist. Why should someone be rewarded for just sitting on the roller? This idea would stop rolling as a profitable activity, and get people actually playing instead.

I put this in discussion instead of suggestions for that reason... discuss it ;)

#2 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:38 PM

I wouldn't play anything that allowed people to play more than one character. Also, if the other servers were to be removed, I'd up and quit playing all together.
Autek in game.

#3 ¤ TapouT ¤

¤ TapouT ¤
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:02 AM

yeah i agree with my fellow pande clannie on that if it were to be removed meaning id lose all i worked on id up and quit aswell!
TapouT 1alt Hulk & Beast & God

#4 Ganja

Ganja
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:03 AM

i wouldnt quit i would just show you exactly how ez it is to arch 6 crits give it a month and there will be more drama to this new planned theory of yours its a lose lose situation atm so just be happy where you are if you dont like the game then quit and let people who do enjoy it for what its worth.

#5 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:45 AM

I would not start over as an active Nightmist player.
There are too many games like WoW that are free now.
Actually, I wouldn't be likely to start any internet game anymore.

I'm mainly just looking forward to cool SquareEnix games (mainly FF series)...
Nightmist is the only online game that has ever hooked me, and it isn't likely that I will ever have time for another. I enjoy console games where I can just play when I have time and feel like it...without being behind or the sort.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#6 Scripto

Scripto

~teh Scripto

• Game Staff
  • 1628 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:46 AM

remove both the main and 1-alt servers (Having 2 servers splits the playerbase) << You lost me after that statement.. sorry.. if everything was to be deleted... I'd delete NM from my computer.
For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.

Ingame:
Scripto (Staff)
Kannabis (Mortal)

#7 Consumed

Consumed

o0o-Alias ig

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

considering i didnt start playin again till like 2 months ago i might just play..but i agree with all the other above posts.. its alot of work(time) flushed if everything was to be deleted... i think most people would agree... so it would probably have a negative outcome...

edit: and if ur gonna reset..reset completely.. it wouldnt be fair for people to have an account full of 6 stats at the start...

Edited by Consumed, 04 April 2008 - 02:50 AM.

-Alias ingame-

#8 Desendent

Desendent
  • Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:11 AM

i wouldnt start over
Neo Ingame

#9 Slushie

Slushie
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:19 AM

i think that having 2 servers definately devides the player base, which isnt good. even if a new server was put in, pacifists really did ruin the economy of nightmist, bad idea to put back in. but to have a full reset, would hurt the game as well. maybe if the game evolved into something new, then people would start over, but i highly dought jlh will do that again.

#10 XxDarkAlliancexX

XxDarkAlliancexX
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:24 AM

If game starts over, I'm gone :ph34r:
Posted Image

#11 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:55 AM

remove both the main and 1-alt servers (Having 2 servers splits the playerbase) << You lost me after that statement.. sorry.. if everything was to be deleted... I'd delete NM from my computer.

He meant both Nm Multy and NM 1Alt should be deleted.

He meant that when 1Alt was opened, it split the playerbase badly.

I think some people would stay. But the ones who would stay would only gate sit again after the truely dedicated players got their game on. Pking would happen, and the whines of whah, I keep dying would be heard. People would get a bit stronger, and then you would see boss battles at the simpler bosses:(cg, hl, sk, gsw).

After six weeks it will be the same song and dance. It is a novel idea, bu tnot what nightmist needs in the way of fixing.
I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

#12 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:28 AM

If it were to happen I'd quit. Same thing would end up happening to it that happened to the other 2 servers already.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#13 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

I'd play, I think the early months after resets have always been the most fun when people don't sleep and just race to be the first to do things :ph34r:

#14 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

Lot of people would simply leave. Because they have nothing that links them to the game anymore (now a lot stay because of what they've build up). And then, like Gaddy said, they would either quit online gaming in total or just play the hundreds of WoW clones that are free to play.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#15 ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Sure, I'd play. I enjoy nightmist, not just my nightmist account. I lose things all the time but that doesn't always make me not bother to try again.

and OT: please enlighten me, I'm keen to play a good, free 3d game of a similar integrity.
  \\\\\\   \\\\  \\\\\\  \\\  \\\ \\\\ \\\\\\
    \\  \\ \\  \\  \\  \\  \\  \\   \\   \\
     \\\\  \\    \\ \\\\    \\\\\    \\   \\\\
      \\     \\  \\  \\ \\   \\  \\   \\   \\   
      \\\\     \\\\  \\\ \\\ \\\  \\\ \\\\ \\\\\\

#16 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

if both servers were removed i'd get so much nastier at fifa '08 on 360 lol
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#17 Scripto

Scripto

~teh Scripto

• Game Staff
  • 1628 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

/t Walt .. I knew what he was talking about.. I was last after that statement I lost all interest, meaning that I already didn't like after that line... Kids...
For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.

Ingame:
Scripto (Staff)
Kannabis (Mortal)

#18 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:21 AM

Paul,
What is your reasoning behind suggesting these things?
It really makes no sense to me after reading your post.
Players that still log in and play will not want to lose what they have worked
So hard for. People do not want to lose all their experience, gold and items.
They simply will not play Nightmist anymore.
We all can agree the splitting of the server has been the destruction of Nightmist.
We all can agree that adding the solo alt server the way it was introduced, without planning or thought was not beneficial to fixing the problems that existed on the main server.
What truly needs to happen is:
1. The recruitment of new players and the influence to keep them.
2. Keep the older, highly experienced players challenged.
3. Reduce the gold in the economy on each server.
4. Re-evaluate the trading system and sharing of accounts.

Most people would not start over. So lets encourage people to stay by offering incentives, not changes that make them want to leave.

Just my opinion,
Rach
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#19 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:36 AM

I forgot to add that I also truly believe that EVERY item should be resellable to a shop or used in crafting.
If the servers were ever made so that there was no account sharing or trading between servers, then every darn item in Nightmist should be
resellable to a shop or used in crafting.
Items that come to mind are... everything from simple drops to big ticket items; such as cobalts.
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#20 Kurt Hansen

Kurt Hansen
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

I don't think these changes need to be made. There are enough players around on either server to make it fun. And I like both of the servers. It would be very disheartening to lose what I've built in five years of sustained play on the main server, and I like my character on 1 alt. There is some tuning that could be done on either side, but where isn't there?

And I really don't think the economy is screwed up. It works just like it does in real life. Some things get cheaper as time rolls on, and those who work hard and spend more time have more gold. That's really not too hard to understand.

A big thank you to staff and creators alike, Nightmist rocks!

#21 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

There would be no point in making yet another new server, there have been multiple problems on each since they came out, the best solution would be to re-look the 1a server, and better suit it for a 1 alt game, i know that would take some coding from JLH, but make it so the lower end bosses, can be killed with 1 alt, make the drop rate lower, and there wont be an overflow of items coming in too fast, keep most of the "bigger bosses" the way they are, i still do think some things require teamwork, but not all things.
Sublime - 1a.

#22 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

And I really don't think the economy is screwed up. It works just like it does in real life. Some things get cheaper as time rolls on, and those who work hard and spend more time have more gold. That's really not too hard to understand. (QUOTE)

This is not true. Players have whole accounts and items GIVEN TO THEM. They have not worked for, nor earned the stuff. People quit and give their gold, crits, items away.
Nightmist should be made where it goes by ISP address,. Accounts can't be shared, given away, sold etc. and no trading between servers.
If you are a dirtbag and scum then you should not be able to gain anything from others. I don't care who you are and who you know.

#23 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

I'm not a fan of the "one account, one IP address" philosophy because it prevents people from using different computers, plus those with dynamic IP addresses will have problems. However, restricting an account to just one person I'm definitely a fan of, and characters aren't really things that should be traded, although that is an integral part of Nightmist now and can't really be removed from the current versions.

It is actually impossible to stop cross-server or even cross-game trading completely because it relies only on communication and simple item-giving. If it was heavily policed then you either risk getting a black market where players learn to trade items without being caught, or where far too many innocent people giving items to each other get punished. Both outcomes are not ideal.

True economies are "zero-sum" games, in that the total value of the currency never actually changes when you take into account inflation and exchange rates - in most cases, prices increase over time to reflect the unit of currency losing its value; I remember buying a ball-point pen for 14p once; you'll be lucky to get it under 50p today. Nightmist has the problem in that gold is constantly increasing from monster kills and not leaving the system through buying shop items and the like. Because of the small size of games though, it is hard to model it on an exact economy.

As for me actually playing a new Nightmist, that does depend. If it was run exactly the same as the current Nightmist, either in terms of the policies or the gameplay, I wouldn't play it.

Any future Nightmist needs something unique to attract players, and the right sort of player too.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#24 Kurt Hansen

Kurt Hansen
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Redheart, that happens in real life, too, with inheritance of fortunes by people who are ill-equipped to get them. Plus the lottery. How many times have you seen someone win $100 million in real life, with essentially no effort?

Crane, with all due respect, I don't think any economy is a zero-sum game. The total amount of wealth in an economy changes from time to time. For example, the world is much wealthier than it was 100 years ago. There is more industrial production, better food supply, new technologies, all of which translate to a higher standard of living and more currency in circulation. Prices fluctuate in relation to supply and demand. The currency itself may inflate, as you have said, and certainly that part of Nightmist isn't real. We don't get more gold for killing a small snake than we used to.

Happy playing!

#25 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

by the way, to all those people that sed 'they will never play if they lose all thier stuff', if that is true then why does NM1a have a playerbase at all?

#26 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Because we didn't lose our stuff.
Autek in game.

#27 Cuban

Cuban
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

Nightmist is fine the way it is, if you got rid of everything would be dumb, all the drama and overpower'd players is what makes ....nightmist....Nightmist. Without all the that stuff Nightmist would be just another lame game.. Go Nm Go!!!
SaintAngel Multi

Rox em Sox em Boppers

#28 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Well no Cuban. There's not many MUDs of this style around, mainly Telnet, which mostly use the same server anyway, whether it be 4Dimensions, 3Kingdoms, MUD32, WheelMUD, Diku etc.

As far as I know there's only Nightmist, Realms of Kaos and Revelation that fit into the stand-alone, partially graphical text-based mud genre. There have been attemps such as Aleveria (Which I was going to be a developer for) which wasn't too bad, but was more of a RoK clone. And of course if anybody remembers, Deity Online by Thor, then Deity Online 2 which was coded by Moonripper and Sepherus (Whom are both at University in Reading at the moment). And Realms of Kaos Revolution, which was a clone RoK game after the official RoK went down, but never really happened...
Alura Online was also looking promising but it seems to have just died off, and the website is now gone due to inactivity. But judging from the images, it's just another RoK clone which never happended.

However, in answer to the question...

Nobody would pay for a Nightmist-style game. There's RoK and Revelation which are both good games (Despite what die-hard Nightmist fans might say), and both free. And the fact that you can download World of Warcraft style games, Ragnarok and all the other 3D games completely free, would also mean that this "New" Nightmist would have to be a seriously good game to be able to earn some money at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users