Thieves’ Tools Of Trade. Picklooks!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

So here’s an another fancy idea. Let’s say you are rushing through malok’s guild to pk somebody (or just to steal kill) and you don’t have the time to knock down all the doors. What a real thief would do? Picklock them! Beware though, if you attempt to use a cheap picklock on high-quality lock, it may break in process.

Examine:

Steel Door is here with you.
/give steel picklock
You gave a Steel Door: Picklock.
You successfully opened Steel Door, unfortunately the picklock broke in process.
(steel door is destroyed)

Can come in variants:

Crude Picklock
1% thief drop
500gp in sdg equipment shop
Can open:
Door*
Braced Door**

Picklock:
1% master thief drop
5000gp in thief guild shop
Can open:
Door*
Braced Door*
Steel Door**

Skeleton Key
1% malok drop
Can open:
Door*
Braced Door*
Steel Door*
Stone Door*

*Keep picklock after openning this door.
**Lose picklock

Once again, this idea’s primary purpose is illuminate items-monsters interaction and pave way for farther development.
Does not play well with others.

#2 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

There was an item called a "Lock Pick" once upon a time, and it still exists on the 1-alt server (at the time of posting), but it never found a use, nor was it ever dropped, I don't think. The thing is, picking locks on Nightmist only spares a few seconds compared to just assassinating the door. Still, as you said, it might show players some item-monster interaction.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#3 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

Depends. Assassinating a Stone Door on 1 alt takes about 10 rounds? Would be wicked if you could just pick it.

Would they only be usable by thieves, or by all classes?
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#4 ChiliPepper

ChiliPepper
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

I like it, but think it could be better for the item to work like a successful mumble, allowing you passage without destroying the door.
It could also take 1 stamina, and only work 75% of the time. A failed pick could result in loosing the item.
(all classes, thieves extra chance of success?)

But, as it is up top, supported :ph34r:
  \\\\\\   \\\\  \\\\\\  \\\  \\\ \\\\ \\\\\\
    \\  \\ \\  \\  \\  \\  \\  \\   \\   \\
     \\\\  \\    \\ \\\\    \\\\\    \\   \\\\
      \\     \\  \\  \\ \\   \\  \\   \\   \\   
      \\\\     \\\\  \\\ \\\ \\\  \\\ \\\\ \\\\\\

#5 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

This would be very interesting.
I'm not sure how that monster and item interaction works, but there might be a monster stat for it.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#6 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

This would be very interesting.
I'm not sure how that monster and item interaction works, but there might be a monster stat for it.

I'm probably giving away more about the inner workings of the Nightmist engine than I should, but if stat 48 has a "death message" then it will remove the NPC (the player won't get it on their kill list) - see High Pacifist Kuruni for an example. To have an NPC return the item (even if they are to disappear), simply set the input and output to the same item.

If you are having trouble, contact me privately and I can suggest something if you want.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#7 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Thank you Gareth. I will test this a bit and contact you if I have problems.

I will discuss implementing this idea with the sysops team. I'm not sure it'd be 'fair' to allow characters to simply use an item to tear down the doors around NM...
The Skeleton Key in-particular may not be allowable, but we'll see what they think. Getting the picks back each time just may not be allowable.
But perhaps something with a higher drop rate that destroys larger fortifications, such as a Portcullis, without being given back.
They'd have to be banned from Capture the Flag though---or something.

Also not sure that it can be set to where the items can only be given/used by thieves.
I don't think it makes sense to let just any class use a lockpick or the sort.

Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

The "Portcullis" in Capture The Flag has been replaced with the weaker "Small Portcullis", so you can add an excuse like "An arcane magick disintegrates the Skeleton Key as it is brought towards the steel." if a player tries to use a lock pick. Saying that though, I do not think that portcullises can be picked because they are vertically-rising grates of steel in stone runners powered by winches, and breaking the winch will force the gate to drop into the closed position, impaling anyone unfortunate enough to be in the way of the spiked base.

Long story short, all of the NPCs in Capture The Flag, including the doors and the Skeletal Sprite, are unique and do not appear in regular areas, so this should not be a problem. Unfortunately, there is presently no way to class-restrict an item from simply being carried or given, at least none that I know of.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users