Pacifists Are Not Passive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:34 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it is incredibly annoying how a character designed to be played solo and not have any interaction with other types of characters i.e. no grouping/clans attacking even, can still cast spells on players. Greater Pact completely DEFEATS THE PURPOSE of being called a pacifist. That is taking an active roll in preventing someone from action. Maybe its just me and I am missing the point, or whatever, but this seems pretty against the idea in my opinion.

And now is when a bunch of you go replying 'noob' 'idiot' 'deal with it' whatever. so by all means, have fun, we are all expecting it.
Julius/Juls main
Julius 1 alt

#2 Eyes in the Dark

Eyes in the Dark
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:42 AM

I would think its perfectly in character with the class.

A Pacifist is against all forms of violence, so why would they not have a spell to stop everyone attacking each other?

Edit :: Aug 23 2004, 03:42 AM why the hell am I STILL DOING UP!?!

Edited by Eyes in the Dark, 23 August 2004 - 02:43 AM.

#3 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:42 AM

Definition of "Pacifism"

1.  The belief that disputes between nations should and can be settled peacefully.
A - Opposition to war or violence as a means of resolving disputes.
B - Such opposition demonstrated by refusal to participate in military action.

It actually says nothing about interaction with people, but considering they are against violence I don't think they would join up with clans which generally are violent...But it doesn't say they ignore everyone, I think it makes perfect sense to use Greater Pact and such to stop violence as Paci's do not believe in it as a means of solving disputes.
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#4 Julius

Julius
  • Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:25 AM

All that says is that a pacifist is against violence, so then pacifists shouldnt even be able to destroy undead.
Julius/Juls main
Julius 1 alt

#5 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:37 AM

When you destroy undead it says you're releasing their spirit. It's healing and non-violent, I mean they can't even equip a weapon.
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#6 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Players have
  • Freewill
  • Choice
  • Aims
Some players make the conscious choice to be aggressive and violent to achieve said aims.

"Opposition to war or violence as a means of resolving disputes"

Pacifists dislike agression, therefore they arrange 'peacetalks' between people. Now read 'peacetalks' as 'greater pacts' ... they are preventing people from attacking in favour of peace; In the hope that these people will realise that peace is better because it doesn't harm anyone.
It isn't their fault that the people in question don't go "Hmm... pacifist pact-ed us, lets have a friendly chat instead to resolve our violent disagreement" ... but thats not the pacifists problem.

The point is that they were trying to decrease hostility.

Undead are
  • Unnatural
  • Unpeaceful
  • "Evil"
Perhaps the skeletons or mas'es themselves are not making the conscious choice to be violent and attack others, but the one who raised/created them to do their bidding did

To pacifist is able to put a stop to this unnatural aggression by freeing souls made to fight without their will, and granting them peace (in the afterlife... or just not having their souls trapped in an animated body they can't control)

And as a side note the reason they do not attack everyday animals and whatnot is because
  • They[Pacifists] can't attack, and
  • The animals are not "evil"
Animals may attack people, but its out of nature... not because they are being controlled or because they actually want to do someone malicious harm.

And yes, all I did was rephrase Eyes and Someone's posts ^^
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#7 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

stfu nubez delete pacis everyone's happy

#8 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:21 AM

Obviously not as quite a few people seem to use them, and enjoy doing so.

Well said Charon.
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#9 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:50 AM

Charon must have taken dibate class :P Althought people don't use it to stop violence, they use it at bosses so they (or clan) can take the item, so they GP other people, so they can't attack monsters, it should be removed, and then remake it, to be like Lesser Pact, doing the job GP was intended for, but not used for the right reason, since I got the evil idea to use it for that once I first got the spell.

Edited by Ryuku, 24 August 2004 - 01:53 AM.

#10 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:47 AM

I agree there's no doubt people abuse them, I just don't think removing them is the answer. Maybe make it so it can't be used on a boss square or something. Course I've had opposite issues, I've been fighting (well healing an undead) boss with my paci, they were mortally wounded and a party came in hit him the last two hits he needed and took the item =/ I just figure it's all part of the game, you get ripped off in real life too so just makes it a bit more realistic I suppose.
嘱`按舗g閘`按鲋

#11 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:53 AM

Isn't my idea good? Remove GP and rename LP, into GP, problem solved.

Edited by Ryuku, 27 August 2004 - 02:54 AM.

#12 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:07 PM

I dont care just remove gp
Page/Memo Beatrix

#13 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

A Pacifist doens't just try to stop the fighting between peoples but the fighting between monsters and people.

I know that doesn't justify using GP the way it is currently being used by the more...troublesome Pacifists but it's what GP is for.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users