Mage Spells

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:23 AM

My thought was to have this spell bought for at level 27 in guilds for 15k. Or, have this as an alternate drop for Giant Chameleon

/library Foresight

A rare gift usually hidden deep within mage guilds, only the truly experienced possess the neccessary knowledge and wisdom to cast such a spell. By concentrating a strong amount of magical force, a truly skilled mage may perceive of an oncomming foe moments before their arrival. During the heat of battle, the forewarning of more oncoming foes could mean the difference between life and death.

Mana Cost: 120
Stamina: 2
Duration: 5 minutes or until triggered
Notes: If other mages pass through the barrier, you are alerted, but it is not shut down. You must be within 5 squares of the square you cast on to recieve a message.
It can only be casted on one square at any given moment.

Casting- You cast Foresight here, creating a mysterious magical barrier.

When someone walks through- Someone has passed by: The magical barrier has been breached, it is no longer effective.

Mage Passing Through: A powerful magical being has bypassed; the barrier is still up.

After five minutes- The magical force has worn off, the barrier is no longer effective

The basic opperation of this spell is a warning. You cast it on a square, creating a magical 'barrier' that lasts for five minutes or until someone walks through it, whichever comes first. When a mage walks through, one would receive an alert, but the barrier is not broken. This spell only tells you that people have passed through; it does not reveal name/number of people. This could become useful for hunting with Mages and would be a reason to keep a mage in your party for boss trips.

One could argue that this spell is overpowered, however...
  • 5 squares is nothing
  • Does not give you names of people who pass through
  • Does not give you number of peopl passing through
  • High magic cost prevents it from being overused

Edited by Sneaky, 01 July 2004 - 06:23 AM.

Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#2 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:42 AM

I like it.

#3 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

For a level 27 spell, 5 squares really is nothing. I think the cost should be watered down just a tad. I think if this were added, a mage should be able to leave behind a trail of these to make sure his/her party isn't being followed.

Even though I'm not a fan of PK-orientated spells, this one is different in the sense that it doesn't actually hurt anybody (which is something that I admire).
Posted Image

#4 Evilcloud

Evilcloud
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

I like the idea... mainly because im finally training my mage and it should be 27 within a week.... +im prolly ganna roleplay after i arch it... so i think it will help me out in pkin alot....
~~¤*~Menelaeus/Darkalliance in NM1A~*¤~~

#5 Tatsu

Tatsu
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

great idea :)
Swim swim hungry, swim swim hungry.....

#6 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

For a level 27 spell, 5 squares really is nothing. I think the cost should be watered down just a tad. I think if this were added, a mage should be able to leave behind a trail of these to make sure his/her party isn't being followed.

My original plan, before I bounced ideas off of a clannie, was to have the mana cost at 100 MP, but are you suggesting less than that? I don't agree with having more than 1 or 2 'barriers' up at a time, and do you think it would be better to completely eliminate the number of squares for being able to have two up at a time, and lasting for... 4 minutes? Post your suggestions

Edit: Bah, forgot about this in original post: Thanks to Wierd for putting some imput into the finer points and adding some stuff to the description! j00 pwn kev!

Edit 2: Thanks Jared (Thunderja) for sitting there nodding while i started thinking up the idea!!!

I'm currently coming up with some more additions for spells, just haven't had enough time between working to really concentrate...Will post some more soon (on this same topic)

Edited by Sneaky, 02 July 2004 - 02:31 AM.

deimos the noob said no

#7 Raith

Raith
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

I really like this spell. Great idea. :)

#8 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:25 AM

Hey I stood there nodding when you ran it past me....

Lol gw Mike it is a great idea, when at a boss or mayor I would use it so that if I knew people were coming I would prespell ready to fight.

/poke/hug/kiss
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#9 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:34 PM

A cost of 40 or 50 or even 60 mana seems pretty fair. Over-casting will but a huge dent in your mage but using it once or twice won't really damper your training.

...Of course, it's your idea so I don't know what kind of effect you're looking for with the mana cost. ^^;
Posted Image

#10 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

The original cost was due to the power of the spell. It would be a very handy thing to have, it lets you know to stop attacking the boss/monster and be up and ready to fight. Also, it lets you know if you're being followed. I have to consider this again... If only one or two 'barriers' were allowed up, I think lowering to 50 or 75 would be fine... but if you have no limit, I'd keep it at 120, maybe even go higher. The point of going higher is... you'll have to be very willing to spend lots on Lodestones just to see if somones following you. You can sort of 'lure' with overcasting. What do you think, Squee, lower mana cost with a maximum of two up, or higher mana cost with unlimited barriers up? I prefer the earlier, maybe lower cost to 60/75 and have maximum of two. Tell me your opinions, contact me on Vegeto if you don't want to post here, I'm on him now.

deimos the noob said no

#11 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:06 PM

I'm not at home now so I don't have Nightmist (*bites dialup*).

What about you can have 2 max...but you can always cast it again to "dispell" your oldest barrier? I don't know. ^^;
Posted Image

#12 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

Hm, I like that idea... I'll change Mana costs to 75, two at a time, but re-casting deletes the oldest barrier.

deimos the noob said no

#13 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

Alright.. I have two more spells, + I will write Foresight in 'proper format'

Spell Name:Foresight
Description:A rare gift usually hidden deep within mage guilds, only the truly experienced possess the neccessary knowledge and wisdom to cast such a spell. By concentrating a strong amount of magical force, a truly skilled mage may perceive of an oncomming foe moments before their arrival. During the heat of battle, the forewarning of more oncoming foes could mean the difference between life and death.
Level:27
Mana Cost: 70
Stamina: 2
Duration: 5 minutes or until triggered
Casting Message: You cast Foresight here, creating a mysterious magical barrier.
Warning Message: Someone has passed by: The magical barrier has been breached, it is no longer effective.
Mage Passing Through: A powerful magical being has bypassed; the barrier is still up.
After five minutes The magical force has worn off, the barrier is no longer effective
On-square message: (Mage) mumbles, and creates a magicall warning barrier here.

Notes: Can have up to two barriers up and running at any given time. When someone walks through it, you recieve the warning message. Alternate drop to Giant Chameleon

Spell Name:Focus
Description:By concentrating their magical power inwards, a journeyman mage can increase their magical resistance slightly. Though they will not deal any more damage, this spell will protect them from other magical foes.
Level:15
Mana Cost: 30
Price:3000
Stamina: 1
Duration: 4 Minutes
Casting Message: You channel your magical powers inwards, increasing your Wisdom slightly
On-square Message:(Mage) focuses his powers, increasing his magical resistance.
Formula: 3*(lvl/wisdom)

Spell Name:Acumen
Description:As a mages power increases, one can enhance their magical powers even further. A difficult spell taught to expert mages, one can increase both their damage and their magical resistance even more.
Level:25
Mana Cost: 50
Price:7000
Stamina: 1
Duration: 5 Minutes
Casting Message: You channgel powerful magic inward, increasing both Intelligence and Wisdom.
On-square Message:(Mage) directs his magic inward, increasing his Intelligence and Wisdom.
Formula: Wisdom increase: +3
Intel increase- +5

You cannot cast Acumen and Focus at same time. I'll post an intel increase when i get on break from work, as im probably late now.

Edit: posted gains for Acumen. For anyone who says this is overpowering, Holy Might for clerics increases +5 str +3 dex. Also, having a zerker with 32+ str can round anything.

Edited by Sneaky, 06 July 2004 - 08:29 PM.

deimos the noob said no

#14 lowmion

lowmion
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:46 AM

Nicely thought out -congrats-

Would like to see these implemented - they would come in handy no matter what type of player you are.

#15 Metatron

Metatron
  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

These look like some pretty sound ideas would be nice to see them in the game.
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are invented nonsense.

~Agmar~

#16 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:09 PM

I love them.

#17 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:51 PM

Hooway, my only problem is with the last two your posted is that they're spells for an already majorly-spelled level.

P'haps change the levels a bit so it's 17 for da first and 23 for da second?

Sorry abowt me tawking weowdwee. I just decwided too for some reason.

#18 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:13 PM

Bumpage?

deimos the noob said no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users