Selling Ingame Stuff For Irl Money

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:59 AM

This has been suggested before but I don't think it was given much concideration . . .

JLH and Pandilex go on a lot about this game costing so much to run and about how important donations are to keeping the game up and running . . .

P2P is soon to be released I hear, however atm the game is being run of a few donations and the rest is funded by JLH . . .

They say that buying/selling NM stuff for irl money unbalances the game . . . however I don't see how this is . . . nothing is added to the game . . . if JLH and Pandilex were making characters for people for real life money then this would unbalance the game (what they did with the custom items unbalances the game far far more than this regardless of the reasoning) . . .

I also think people buying stuff for real life money unbalances the game no more than someone quitting and giving away their stuff to someone . . .

So anyway to my point . . . Why not let people sell their NM accounts for real life money and all sales go through JLH who would take a percentage out for himself and the running of the server etc . . .

This way everyones happy and everyone gets something out of it

Flame away :P

Edited by Despair, 14 October 2004 - 02:07 AM.

If I were the rain... that binds together the Earth and the Sky, whom in all eternity will never mingle... would I be able to bind two hearts together?

#2 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:18 AM

What is IRL money?
Hi-2 letters
Beg JLH to unban your crits-5k letters
There are many things that doesn't have shortcuts
For everything else, there are macros

#3 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:19 AM

I wouldn't have a problem---even like I said about how I wouldn't have a problem even if they sold items. It'd be annoying if they sold crits, but I mean damn, they make the game and pay for it...they can do what they like.

Knowledge of how to get places and such is what's important really, but ya...being able to buy crits would deffy be kind of bad. Items I wouldn't care much about though if it'd make the game not go into p2p.

Anyway, with Jimmy's suggestion/idea I completely agree. People will do it anyway and just be sneeky, why not take advantage of it?
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#4 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:21 AM

What is IRL money?

read my post

(In Real Life)

Edited by Despair, 14 October 2004 - 02:22 AM.

If I were the rain... that binds together the Earth and the Sky, whom in all eternity will never mingle... would I be able to bind two hearts together?

#5 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:02 AM

Well if you did, how would JLH and Pandilex know you gave them the right % of money?

#6 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:10 AM

How would JLH or even us determine the value of a crit or even a whole account?

What sort of format would be used for selling the account? Auction Boards?

Would there be a way to prevent players from bidding something they don't have thus jacking the prices up?

I like the basic idea. But there are far to many holes to even be concidered at the moment.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#7 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:13 AM

the % would be decided by JLH/Pandilex . . . whatever they see fit . . . perhaps there doesnt need any bidding, sales could just be carried out just as they have in the past only via JLH/Pandilex. All cash would go through JLH/Pandilex also via paypal or whatever method of payment they are most comfortable with, to ensure a fair trade and correct % is payed . . .

It would be just like the secret trades that apparently dont happen . . get carried out without them being secret :P

Edited by Despair, 14 October 2004 - 05:18 AM.

#8 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:08 AM

It is late and maybe it is just me, but let me see if I get this.

So I want to sell my whole account/crit to JoeBlow. We settle on a real dollar amount for the crit. We then contact JLH or Pandilex and tell them what the trade is. JLH recieves the irl money via paypal and JoeBlow recieves the crit.

I see this as being a good thing. It does gives the younger/broke players a chance to donate to the game via someone elses irl money and thier hard work on NM.

Two problems I see with this.
1) The rich spoiled kid walks into the game with a big bankroll and becomes an overnight killer.

2) Without the sales being open to the public in a way that the forsale boards are it would seem unfair to the players who aren't in "the loop" so to speak.

Playing for the little bit I have been playing I don't see JLH going for this. He generally sticks to the rules as they are written. That isn't to say he hasn't bent them a time or two. But all in all he tends to have a need to look out for the little guy. And this would be a huge setback for the little broke guy.

Now as for the changling (Pandilex for you new players) he might be compelded to ponder over the idea, but I don't even see him wanting a system like this implemented.

Selling stuff for irl money does change the NM economy. But to go one step further it was best put by Pandilex why it is wrong to sell stuff. Why would he or JLH want anyone to make real money off of something they have worked so hard to build and maintain.

Selling NM stuff for irl money is gonna happen. Only way around it is to lock accounts from making any transactions. Not to say I agree with it, but like anything illegal you can't get caught or else ya gotta pay the pipper.

Edited by Momba, 14 October 2004 - 06:22 AM.

My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#9 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:14 AM

didn't read all replies cuz they are so focking long. but the thing long ago sad that would unbalance things if you would buy game items for rl money is that some ppl have more money then others! i could buy fore example more stuff then that 8 year old crit that only gets $5 a week from his mom.
Even in death my hate will go on

#10 Steam

Steam
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

TBH if ya are willing to pay IRL Money to get imaginary items ya must be kinda sad :P
Mckay: I passed out from manly hunger

http://www.youtube.com/steam56

#11 Fire Fly

Fire Fly
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:23 PM

I totally agree 100% with steam, you must be off your rocker if you want to shell out IRL money for something you can't even touch.
The liver is evil and it must be punished

#12 Payne

Payne
  • Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:56 PM

didn't read all replies cuz they are so focking long. but the thing long ago sad that would unbalance things if you would buy game items for rl money is that some ppl have more money then others! i could buy fore example more stuff then that 8 year old *crit* that only gets $5 a week from his mom.

LOL
Astinus on 1alt Only

#13 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

no it doesnt mean you're sad.look at games like diablo 2...thousands of people do it,doesnt make them sad.All they want to do is have more fun.If you waste hours/days on a game why not be good at it? lol
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#14 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

People pay money to play tennis, and people pay money to buy a better raquet...

And some people pay stupid amounts of money on their cars, which I can never understand...
If you build it, they will come.

#15 Malik

Malik
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

Don't really see how you dont understand spending alot of money on your car, i mean everyone has their intrests, their passions, say for instance how you probably spend tons of money upgrading your computer, or at least JLH ya know? i mean some people would say that was stupid but if you want a better experiance working with it your going to shell out the cash. Anyhoo i think if anyones gonna pay money its gonna be with p2p, i just hope that the price is reasonable for the majority of us who are teens playing the game. Besides like that guy said, we dont want no rich willy walkin in and becomming nightmist's most feared killer who has only played for a week.

#16 Thrice

Thrice
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:24 PM

You pay money for a prostitute for more fun ^_^. So people should do it on a game too :P

#17 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:32 PM

didn't read all replies cuz they are so focking long. but the thing long ago sad that would unbalance things if you would buy game items for rl money is that some ppl have more money then others! i could buy fore example more stuff then that 8 year old *crit* that only gets $5 a week from his mom.

LOL

oops i suck :P meant to be kid ofcrouse ^_^

edit: also pandi i dun c your logic in your reply. maybe i'm missing it but ppl pay to play tennis because it isn't free like nm is. also they pay someone to teach them tennis because you can't improve without a teacher or atleast its about 100x harder. the racket you pay money for because you can't make it better yourself. on nm you can get better/stronger by doing everything yourself.

Edited by jurian, 14 October 2004 - 03:35 PM.

#18 Aidon

Aidon
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

I think what Pandi means is that people will pay money for anything that they get joy from. For some it is cars, some computers, and others its power in a game. When one of us doesnt understand why someone spends money on something, it is just because we don't share the interest.

#19 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:42 PM

ok then it makes sense lol i thought he meant that ppl payed money for it ebcause they couldn't do it themselves. so i didn't get it but that seams logical :P

#20 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:45 PM

Everyone is totally missing the point . . . whether its sad or not is not the issue here . . . people have and always will wanna buy NM stuff from other people . . . I personally would never spend money on a text based game but then again I hate spending money :P . . .

The point is that people do sell stuff for rl money . . . some get caught some don't . . . why not make it legal and let JLH and Pandilex actually make a profit from it . . .

and Jim in response to your problems, as your the only one whos actually made an ontopic response

"1) The rich spoiled kid walks into the game with a big bankroll and becomes an overnight killer.

2) Without the sales being open to the public in a way that the forsale boards are it would seem unfair to the players who aren't in "the loop" so to speak."

There is always going to be people who get given accounts and become rich over night etc . . . but if someone abuses the right to be able to trade for real life money . . . Im very sure they will lose all respect in this game if they try and flaunt their new found wealth . . . and without respect in this game it gets boring very quickly . . .

Maybe a board could be set up so people can sell their accounts that would be fine . . . however I see nothing wrong with private sales either . . . its no different to selling a crit to a clannie instead of posting it on the forum ^_^

I think what it comes down to is whether JLH/Pandilex get more pleasure from banning people than they would from making a bit of cash :D

Edited by Despair, 14 October 2004 - 08:17 PM.

#21 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:45 PM

I agree 100% with Jimmy on this, or at least everything that he's said about it so far.

People cheat and do it 'behind the back'...why not simply make it open and make money, real money, off of it. It isn't adding anything into the game that doesn't already exist (which I wouldn't mind if JLH sold kids cobalts for some cash irl, it just doesn't mean much to me, but that's not what this is about).

This takes people who are doing things for money (not for other games I guess) and makes them give some of it to the people who actually own everything in Nightmist, JLH and Simon.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#22 Aidon

Aidon
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:28 PM

I still think that it is unfair for those who do not have money irl, and thus give no support. People who have the fluidity of money to buy tons of crits/items/etc shouldn't be give a ride to the top b/c of there wallet, it should be the work you do in game. As for saying, "Well its the same as giving away characters when someone quits." I believe this also shouldnt be allowed. I say you quit, fine delete the characters, gold, and items. Would help the already crappy NM economy, and make it more a challenge, of course, that is what most seem to be opposed to, the fact that iof you cant buy or be given it, then there is something wrong.

#23 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:45 PM

I'm usually not a "when the ends justify the means" kind of guy (or at least, I like to think so) but if more money gets sent to JLH or whoever, does this mean that more time will be spent on improving Nightmist on an over-all scale?
Posted Image

#24 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:49 PM

I feel slightly guilty from donating and being rewarded with custom portraits and Spider Gauntlets (White Crane Gauntlets), as not everyone can afford such a privilege.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#25 Bahashabeem

Bahashabeem
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:06 AM

Hey don't get me wrong if I was a rich little kid with a cash flow of say 100$ from my rich parents maybe I would donate or even if I played like 8 hours a day like I see some people do. Nightmist is a game to have fun :P An if you believe to increase your fun you need to buy some one's crits with IRL cash then fine so be it. Some people take it more seriously then a game. So let them its there lifes, no real problem with them paying cash for it. Even if Jlh would get a % of the cash. I don't get that idea itself but maybe you could explain or get a better process on that one. When Nm goes P2P this guy is moving on. Alright game for once in awhile but not worth paying for when I only log maybe an hour a day! ^_^

Nick
Its what you do when no one is looking that determines what kinda person you really are!! ~~NBM lives on through me!

#26 Acrimonia

Acrimonia
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:23 AM

[QUOTE]How would JLH or even us determine the value of a crit or even a whole account?

Not to metion the legal interest involved when a game starts to deal openly with $RL money. That's alot of disclosures to cover to ensure the success of NM. If He's willing to go through the headache of covering his A$$ then go for it. However, in my opinion it would be alot easier for JHL to have control over a P2P enviroment. This game is great! I know alot of people don't want to think about P2P but it would surely be easier for him to control. I'm sure if it's a reasonable cost people would be willing to pay. But, trying to figure out what is reasonable for all well-------------anyway i've rattled on enough..

:P

#27 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:15 AM

How would JLH or even us determine the value of a crit or even a whole account?

That I thought would be an obvious answer . . . its worth however much the top bidder bids simple as that . . . or if its a private sale then its worth however much the 2 players agree on :P

#28 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:23 AM

first of all i'm offended cuz i also made an on topic reply pretty much saying the same as jim's number 1 point :P

second i believe that this point is such a big thing that no benefit is bigger then it and therefor this should not be done. the donations for custom pics don't give you any benefit at all but buying an entire account would make someone really strong suddenly.

It just is realy unfair to the ppl that can't afford it. some rich nooob could just buy some accounts and become great while others without the money have to work really hard for it. there isn't a benefit to this big enough to make up for this problem.

also if i remember correct jlh once said he doesn't want ppl to make money on something he created but i might be wrong here. even if they get a percentage it would still be wrong. I'm all for getting jlh money but even if jlh got all the money from the trade it would still be completely wrong!

just go p2p

#29 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:06 AM

Sorry Jurian didn't mean to offend u ^_^ . . .

theres lots of unfair factors in this game for example . . .

You could argue that its unfair that someone who can log on lots and lots of alts (no names mentioned *coughJuriancough*) has an unfair advantage over someone who can only log on one alt due to their connection . . .

You could argue that someone who's sucked upto someone and obtained their account after they quit it makes it unfair to everyone else as they didn't work for their power . . .

Yes there are people who donated money to Nightmist and have only a picture out of it for their crit . . . but they get the self satisfaction of knowing they aided in the growth of this great game we all enjoy :D

Edit: donated money to Nightmist** not gold :P

Edited by Despair, 15 October 2004 - 08:07 AM.

#30 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

yes i agree. i can see the unfairness in alt usage and therefor i would not complain if an alt limit (of let say 4 lol) would be implemented to the game.

your second point is indeed complete bs and should not happen.

to these points jlh could have control over them like putting in an alt limit or open his eyes and c how incredibly retarded it is that some permanently banned ppl get their stuff back and he should perm ban them again.

but jlh has no control whatsoever (sp?) on how much money someone can pay for nm stuff.

edit: at first i didn't get/want anything for my donations. i jsut came up with the custom pic idea to make more ppl donate.

Edited by jurian, 15 October 2004 - 09:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users