Paladins Are Defensive Warriors

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 05:13 AM

Everyone rants that PLD is underpowered bc they cant do dmg worth a flip compared to most other classes.. a cleric even could prolly give them a good run for their money.

However, PLDs dont need any higher attack power or godly accuracy and attack spells. They need defensive spells/abilities.

The person who thought up holy speed(as an evasion tool) was on the right track, but they need more than that. Paladins should get an innate physical defense bonus. This would also make mage use more practical They should also be able to equip heavier armor at lv 30 than any other classes. Maybe even have a bit extra hp.

PLDs arent meant to do vicious damage. They heal, defend, and should have the best longevity in the game.

what I believe would help round this class out:

Slightly higher hp, slightly lowly mp
Defense traits/abilities/spells
Strongest armor in game at lvl 30, exclusively

I dont think this concept has ever been mentioned before, but traditionally, paladins are masters of defense. Let me know what you all think~ thx

Edited by Drac, 16 September 2004 - 05:14 AM.

BeEp!

#2 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:14 AM

I totally agree.

#3 DragonHeart

DragonHeart

SnowMan1986

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:53 PM

i agree as well
Crusader/Raistlin/Spyhunter ingame

#4 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

oh my gosh I SO agree dewd
Page/Memo Beatrix

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:36 PM

I agree too. Paladins are defensive/support warriors. They don't attack anywhere near as hard as Fighters and Berserkers, and that is how it should be, since their lowish damage is made up for by their healing and defensive spells.

A slightly higher chance of a successful hit seems to be the most popular calling for Paladins, and I agree there should be some heavier armour for them at Archmaster. All they have for main armour at level 30 is the Fireleaf Tunic (and its alternatives) or the Sand Wurm Hide if you are lucky enough to pick one up.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#6 trigger happy

trigger happy
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:14 AM

i do agree....i like paladins. but at the moment paladins lake in defensive as mages used to lack in goodness lol....i think paladins should be the ones with most armor(or what ever was come up to keep them alive longer)....oooo maybe a spell that heals them every few seconds for a certain amount of hp for a certain amount of time...like a prayer like in diablo....and its like every 4 seconds you get a heal of 20 and it lastes 60 seconds?...

just an idea...but i do agree

#7 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:49 AM

Giving a class that can heal themselves a spell that can put their dex at 27 with 21 base dex and no mods, then on top of that giving them the highest armor in game, would completely overpower them. You basically want them to never get hit, absorb the few hits they take, and in the event that they do get hit, be able to heal themselves? And on top of that attack anywhere between 30-70 each stam? Completamente loco.
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#8 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:52 AM

You basically want them to never get hit, absorb the few hits they take, and in the event that they do get hit, be able to heal themselves? And on top of that attack anywhere between 30-70 each stam?

I think that's the idea. Because then you have a class that might actually require some skill to use, rather than the way it's done now :P

Good idea!
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#9 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

As i sed in another thread, paladins having equal hp to thieves is insane. Even the weakest of paladins should have greater hp than the strongest of thieves

Armour too needs sorting out... look at any picture of a 'paladin' and a 'ranger'... the paladin will be covered in thick plate while the ranger will be wearing little more than leather. Yet here pallies and rangers have equal armour... Pallies should have greater armour than fighters, but slightly less hp

On the other hand they get way too much mana... they should have about half that of a cleric

Edited by joanna, 17 September 2004 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

Giving a class that can heal themselves a spell that can put their dex at 27 with 21 base dex and no mods, then on top of that giving them the highest armor in game, would completely overpower them. You basically want them to never get hit, absorb the few hits they take, and in the event that they do get hit, be able to heal themselves? And on top of that attack anywhere between 30-70 each stam? Completamente loco.

ROFL pallies hit for about 8-15s on archies with full eq
Page/Memo Beatrix

#11 Satterlee

Satterlee
  • Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 12:41 AM

I disagree, I own 2 arch paladins and I can do 30-60 on an arch with main equipment and no spells.

BUT.

I do agree with the topic. Paladin's really are dead center, not the most defensive, not the most offensive. Unlike the other classes which have a specialty, a paladin is just there. It needs better armor for sure, and maybe a mana leeching weapon.
I've seen more meds in my left nostril than you've seen in your life.

Poker in-game.

#12 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:03 AM

I disagree, I own 2 arch paladins and I can do 30-60 on an arch with main equipment and no spells.

BUT.

I do agree with the topic. Paladin's really are dead center, not the most defensive, not the most offensive. Unlike the other classes which have a specialty, a paladin is just there. It needs better armor for sure, and maybe a mana leeching weapon.

would over power em

try joining a triplex once and takeing on people with full eq

usally you just become a party healer rarely can you do anything and you watch your 2 other team mates die and you live for about 5 minutes after lol you never actually WIN because of the low dmg you do
Page/Memo Beatrix

#13 DragonHeart

DragonHeart

SnowMan1986

• Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:18 PM

i agree with rappy,i rarely hit for 30+ when going against another arch. my paladin is arch,18 x 21 18 18 x.
Crusader/Raistlin/Spyhunter ingame

#14 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:28 PM

Wow, seems ive hit a nerve here.. let me refine my suggestions a bit after reading everyones post:

-Heavier armor (most likely heaviest in game)
-HALF their MP, then add roughly the amount subracted to their HP
-Spell tweaking optional, not really necessary.. everything else (dmg, stamina, etc) seems to be in order

thx for feedback guys, keep ideas coming in~ Maybe we can get something done about the poor construction of this class :P
BeEp!

#15 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:07 AM

I agree with this topic.
It might actually make me want to have a pally.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#16 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:30 AM

I own a paladin, and it is the only character that I use... They are not used for fighting other characters, that's for sure. I agree with the trade of magic for hp, but I disagree about HALF the mana, maybe 20%. Paladins are not and shouldn't be good pking chracters, but they are the best for solo players like myself because of their longevity (sp?).

^^ Will add more thought later, just a quick post.
Autek in game.

#17 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:40 AM

Wow, seems ive hit a nerve here.. let me refine my suggestions a bit after reading everyones post:

-Heavier armor (most likely heaviest in game)
-HALF their MP, then add roughly the amount subracted to their HP
-Spell tweaking optional, not really necessary.. everything else (dmg, stamina, etc) seems to be in order

thx for feedback guys, keep ideas coming in~ Maybe we can get something done about the poor construction of this class :P

dont wanna half their mp they should be able to live longest out of anything ingame it just makes the most sence
Page/Memo Beatrix

#18 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:38 AM

27 dex means squat, it won't overpower em.

#19 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

i agree, good job :P

#20 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:00 PM

If you think about it, Paladins' armour is similar to Rangers and slightly above that of Druids by the time you reach the higher levels. Fighters, being the heavy duty warriors they are, have the heaviest armour.

At Archmaster, if I'm not mistaken...

Fighter: Spiked Armor/Conqueror's Armor + Helm of Triumph + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust = 77
Paladin: Sand Wurm Hide + Helm of Triumph/Mask of Purity + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust/Kismet Shield = 71
Ranger: Sand Wurm Hide + Helm of Triumph + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust = 71
Druid: Dragon's Skin + Antlers + Shield of Faith/Feathered Shield = 61

That's the basic protection of Armour, Helmet and Shield, and Paladins have a pretty high armour count already. I don't think they need any heavier armour.

Edited by Crane, 28 September 2004 - 11:00 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#21 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:16 PM

edit: whups sorry about that

Edited by Cule, 28 September 2004 - 11:18 PM.

#22 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:49 PM

If you think about it, Paladins' armour is similar to Rangers and slightly above that of Druids by the time you reach the higher levels. Fighters, being the heavy duty warriors they are, have the heaviest armour.

At Archmaster, if I'm not mistaken...

Fighter: Spiked Armor/Conqueror's Armor + Helm of Triumph + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust = 77
Paladin: Sand Wurm Hide + Helm of Triumph/Mask of Purity + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust/Kismet Shield = 71
Ranger: Sand Wurm Hide + Helm of Triumph + Spiked Shield/Shield of Lust = 71
Druid: Dragon's Skin + Antlers + Shield of Faith/Feathered Shield = 61

That's the basic protection of Armour, Helmet and Shield, and Paladins have a pretty high armour count already. I don't think they need any heavier armour.

How can you say their armor is fine with the same armor count as a backline bow shooter?

And they only barely fall short of the basic fighter, when they should EXCEED him. PLD are protectors and masters of defense.. not clerics with gimped healing abilities.

they need heavier armor and/or defensive spells,abilities,or traits. period.
BeEp!

#23 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:25 PM

I still think Fighters should have the heaviest armour, because they don't have much else in terms of abilities. Paladins can cast Holy Speed and such. It might be permissable for them to have a little bit more armour than Rangers... I'm not sure really, but if they have heavier armour than Fighters, they will be virtually unhittable with melee weapons.

Edited by Crane, 30 September 2004 - 06:33 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#24 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 06:53 PM

I agree with Drac, we should lower armor for ranger and higher armor for pallies..just a little bit.
Hi-2 letters
Beg JLH to unban your crits-5k letters
There are many things that doesn't have shortcuts
For everything else, there are macros

#25 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:21 PM

I agree with Drac, we should lower armor for ranger and higher armor for pallies..just a little bit.

That's an interesting point, Rangers having less armour.

I've heard players complain about Rangers being able to use shields and a bow at the same time, but taking shields away from them may be hit with some controversy.

If Rangers had less armour then Paladins would rightfully have the 2nd highest armour count in the game.

Edited by Crane, 30 September 2004 - 09:23 PM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#26 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:15 AM

I just saw your post on the ranger discussion about shields..And I think that rangers should wear a shield, but a less heavy one. Have you guys seen have Legosis (or whatever his name is) in LOTR wore? Kinda like a small buckler..Thats what ranger's highest shield be. So I totally agree with Crane's post in the Rangers discussion. I also wondered why druids' armor are so high...

Edited by Terence, 01 October 2004 - 02:19 AM.

Hi-2 letters

#27 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:34 AM

Druids' main armour at Archmaster, Dragon's Skin, is better than almost all main armour at 45, but their maximum helmet (Antlets) and shield (Shield of Faith / Feathered Shield) is quite low at 4 and 12 respectively, so their maximum armour only comes to 61 - I wouldn't call it "so high", just 4th best. Mages' armour has to be kept low because of the Aura of Protection spell, coming to only 34 (Robe of Storms, Circlet and Wooden Bracers), Thieves comes to 51 (Concealing Petal Armor, Feathered Helm and Steel Bracers), Clerics comes to 55 (Robe of Halcyon, Circlet and Shield of Faith) and Pacifists to 56 (Robe of Halcyon, Shaman's Mask and Shield of Faith).

I agree Rangers should be able to wear Bracers and the like, as they wrap around the forearms quite snugly and won't get in the way of the bow.

Edited by Crane, 01 October 2004 - 02:35 AM.

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

#28 Terence

Terence
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:01 AM

I mistaken Druids' top armour of 61, I thought I saw 71 LOL...I guess ranger's shield is the only in need of change...Any kind buckler would work, but definately not a shield...Spiked Shield is just too hard to imagaine?
Hi-2 letters

#29 afireinside

afireinside
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:24 PM

wow this is really staying on track with paladins.....
~ Davey , Fire_Cleric , Lucied , Ramsus , Leon , Sieg ~ ingame

#30 Drac

Drac
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:46 PM

lol thats what i was just thinking... but they are just using ranger armor as a reference point to what PLDs should be
BeEp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users