To Stig

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Im not really sure where to post this, so im gonna put it here, if moderators wanna move it feel free to. My question to you Stig is, why on earth did you censor my custom descriptions in my clan vault? it's a private room that nobody can enter without my permission, and it was fine for years before, countless other staff have seen my vault. As a matter of fact, i had to get staff to help me do the descriptions on it because as a mortal there's a smaller limit to text you can add at one time. So why did you decide, without anyone asking you to, or any complaints, to go into my vault and change things that had nothing to do with you or the rest of the game?
Sublime - 1a.

#2 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

He has a very compulsive character. Funny enough it's what also makes him very good at most staffer jobs.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#3 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

I occasionally do a realm-wide search for swear words, and your vaults were flagged. On the surface I cannot immediately discern if a room is private or not, but as a rule of thumb in keeping with the game's PG-13 rating, swearing is not allowed in any room descriptions or character profiles, and should be avoided in chat (pages and memos are fine as long as the recipient doesn't complain).

#4 speedy

speedy
  • Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

lol are there even people that young who play the game anymore?

I think all classes appart from pacifists should be removed, then we can all be hippies and play nice together

Inappropriate Avatar - Crane

#5 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I highly doubt there are many people under 17(r rating) lol. But either way, i dont really see why a clan house cant have swear words if clan chat can..
Apocalypto

#6 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

That's ho'd.

But you can't start making exceptions to the rules. Or before you know it, everyone is "exceptional".

Edited by Sausage, 06 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#7 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I highly doubt there are many people under 17(r rating) lol. But either way, i dont really see why a clan house cant have swear words if clan chat can..

As I said, it should be avoided in chat.

#8 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

1) Swearing & Abusiveness
a) Constraints
i) Allowed in clan/friend/enemy/party/paging chat unless someone seeing it complains to a staff member.

Angelus ingame.

#9 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

a) Constraints
i) Allowed in clan/friend/enemy/party/paging chat unless someone seeing it complains to a staff member.

Staff Comment: (Scripto on 01-22-2009) Pages/clan/friends = Freedom to say what ever, public chat and yells = bannable
Peacemaker both servers.

#10 IXThunderDomeXI

IXThunderDomeXI
  • Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Different staff have different rules.
Angry_Anarch/Matityahu in game.

#11 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

The official rules say it's allowed in the restricted chat channels, but due to the risk of complaint or accidentally saying it in the wrong medium, it is best avoided to play safe.

#12 Peacemaker

Peacemaker
  • Members
  • 1940 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

I can show you a email sent by JLH saying that anything in clan chat, friend, enemy, or pages is ok and is not even bannable. I had this discussion when Jase banned me for cussing him in clan chat while he was on a staff crit and not even in the clan. He was monitoring my screen. JLH unbanned me. I can forward the email if you would like of him saying its not bannable and therefore if its not bannable it means it not against the rules.
Peacemaker both servers.

#13 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

I can show you a email sent by JLH saying that anything in clan chat, friend, enemy, or pages is ok and is not even bannable. I had this discussion when Jase banned me for cussing him in clan chat while he was on a staff crit and not even in the clan. He was monitoring my screen. JLH unbanned me. I can forward the email if you would like of him saying its not bannable and therefore if its not bannable it means it not against the rules.

The Police have spoken.
Freek ingame.

#14 Woodstock

Woodstock
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

a) Constraints

+1
When life slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls.

Lappa/Woodstock on Multi
Dubs/Cold on 1a

#15 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

Different staff have different rules.

That really should not ever happen in any video game with staff.

And yeah I really do not understand and have never understood the swear rules. Should be free to say whatever you want unless it's in a public area. Which I guess it officially is.
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#16 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

So, how about we just change my PERSONAL vault back to the way it was, since it obviously is not against the rules. Nobody can enter my vault without my permission and the chairman adding them to the lock anyway, it was fine for years, and it shouldn't be any different now.

Edited by Sublime, 07 August 2012 - 03:19 AM.

Sublime - 1a.

#17 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

I occasionally do a realm-wide search for swear words, and your vaults were flagged. On the surface I cannot immediately discern if a room is private or not...

The official rules say it's allowed in the restricted chat channels, but due to the risk of complaint or accidentally saying it in the wrong medium, it is best avoided to play safe.

To be simple, why is this edit a problem?
You are taking a lot of ownership over something you do not actually own. It may be your clan room - or even your clan, but you do not own things that exist on Nightmist. JLH is clear about that in the Terms and Conditions.

Gareth is simply trying to do his job. Why should he have to deal with all of this flaming over a room that supposedly only one person sees?
The forum prevents swearing still. The posted rules have not changed. It is not Gareth's fault that not all staff bother to enforce what is written. JLH does not hold the staff team accountable to tracking all of the rules, nor does he update rules for them to enforce each time a player gets an e-mail or pass on something they do wrong.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#18 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Driving 120km an hour on the freeway is allowed, but I'm going to give you a ticket anyways due to the risk of accidentally surpassing that limit, it's best to drive at 30km an hour just to play safe.

You are taking a lot of ownership over something you do not actually own.

Isn't that exactly what Stig is doing? John clearly states that it's allowed. How do you expect people to follow the rules if every staffer can change them on a whim?
Angelus ingame.

#19 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

You are taking a lot of ownership over something you do not actually own.

Isn't that exactly what Stig is doing? John clearly states that it's allowed. How do you expect people to follow the rules if every staffer can change them on a whim?

"Chat" does not define a room or square. Clan chat is not clan room title or description. Similar? Certainly.
However, on this note, how does a staff member respond if players create clan room titles with rude things and another player pages or yells? The room desciption is swearing or abusive, even if the player did not say anything wrong or create the desciption. Rooms are part of the game, clan rooms included.

Additionally, Stig did not "punish" the player.
He altered or removed a room desciption; thus fixing what he considered an error in the game. He has not threatened any punishment either. If he banned you for your clan room - sure complain.

This all said - I do not care about swearing. However, I'm not playing the Devil's advocate. I really think it is bullnuts for Stig to get all of this grief over doing what he understands as the right thing by the rules. And he's not wrong.

You **thought this word had a filter** get a staff member who gives enough of a nuts to improve the game and add new areas, and then the server gangs up to publically bash him for doing what he thinks he should do.
*Note that my forum post was modified without anyone complaining about me saying bullnuts*

Stig, please decide to focus on Main. You can make my clan room descriptions rainbow type about a pony sailing a milk carton across a chocolate fountain.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#20 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Disagreeing with someone =/= bashing. I haven't seen anyone bash Stig on here, he has been one of the best staf this game had. I just believe he sometimes tries to control to much.

With a full community, okey, you need to control things because they can get out of hand. But NM has been some friends just hanging around for a while now, to still dictate everything seems like major overkill.

Edit: Have fun either way tho, I just realized I haven't actually played in years.

Edited by Angelus, 07 August 2012 - 12:22 PM.

Angelus ingame.

#21 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I wouldnt say anyone is really bashing stig either. I didnt plan on commenting at all, seeing as its not that big of a deal either way in my opinion. Only reason i commented was because i agreed with speedy about everyone's age. Anyways, not that big of a deal that he did it, but not that big of a deal that it was there.

And another thing about the "public bashing".. If the majority's opinion doesn't mesh with authority's on a public forum, i wouldnt call that bashing. I would call that constructive criticism, as it is very likely that most of the people would want it that way if they were staff.
Apocalypto

#22 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

For the record, there wasn't even anything abusive or vulgar about the room, I changed the descriptions so that when you walked into a wall it said, "That's a wall dumbass!" Seriously, if that offends someone, get a sense of humor, lol. Either way regardless of how any staff feel personally to it, it's still my vault that I purchased through game funds, it's not like my vaults were just handed to me and the descriptions just showed up out of the blue. And the fact remains the only people who can see it, are people who i allow to see it and staff, so why even bother changing it in the first place? Or at the very least, leave me a memo or something telling me that you decided to invade my space.

Edited by Sublime, 07 August 2012 - 08:10 PM.

Sublime - 1a.

#23 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

For the record, there wasn't even anything abusive or vulgar about the room, I changed the descriptions so that when you walked into a wall it said, "That's a wall dumbass!" Seriously, if that offends someone, get a sense of humor, lol. Either way regardless of how any staff feel personally to it, it's still my vault that I purchased through game funds, it's not like my vaults were just handed to me and the descriptions just showed up out of the blue. And the fact remains the only people who can see it, are people who i allow to see it and staff, so why even bother changing it in the first place? Or at the very least, leave me a memo or something telling me that you decided to invade my space.

It was a few months ago that I actually changed it, but I remember it being something more vulgar than that, containing the F word at least.

#24 speedy

speedy
  • Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

no it said clearly as stated thats a wall dumbass. is there an f word in there? i'd be nicer but i lost stuff and asked for help and got told basically the cold sholuder so.... i keep my silence but its tough

I think all classes appart from pacifists should be removed, then we can all be hippies and play nice together

#25 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

What did you lose? I did not touch the vault contents. If it did just say "That's a wall dumbass!" then I'm sorry, as that is probably passable. Put it back as it was if it was just that, but if swear words appear in clan rooms then they will be censored, messily so. I do remember seeing an F word in one of the lines I censored though... it might not have been yours, but I did censor one.

#26 speedy

speedy
  • Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

i lost a ton of things when andy (salem) was banned i memoed asking for help and was basically told that we werent sure if it was andy on the crit that was caught cheating. i want the post where i said Around his neck sits a Snowflake of Insight. gottta say it looks nice :-) i want it removed since the item is no longer mine and i never sold it i loaned it and lost it along with a bunch of other crap that no one seems to care about. i even made a foum post asking about my stuff but did any staff comment on it no... sorry to be mean but most people get stuff back they lost over theft i cant get loaned out stuff back.

#27 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Even if Andy was caught legitimately cheating, if you willingly loaned him items and/or gave him access to your vault why should you get your stuff back?
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#28 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Not Speedys fault Andy cheated. Any items loaned to Andy should be returned.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#29 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Not sarahs fault me and cody let jordan in our acct and her acct was banned too.
Apocalypto

#30 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

"JLH does not hold the staff team accountable to tracking all of the rules"

Now, staff aren't employed as police, I know, but they can't even keep conistent. It's sad really.

Stig, way to do actually do something! It is not a public square though, no clan room is, and thus shouldn't be censored. I emplore that you reconsider your decision on clan vaults being changed. If someone complains, that is the time to take action, but not before.

Thank you for your time.

Well, you know, any thoughts of mine on the staff of nightmist are pretty old. I'm pretty sure Stig is the only staff really left, so in that sense, the staff team is awesome right now! XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users