Pros And Cons

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

This isn't one of those "soandso for staff" posts so dont bother.

Theres alot of nice things about Nightmist, some drawbacks. Ever since the new 1a server have been released, the options for what people want to do have expanded, making gaming more enjoyable.

Now nothing is perfect.

1alt

Altho very fun isn't expanding, everything thats on main is mostly on there to, leaving nothing to the imagination, leaving people too "in the know".

What is needed on there is a area developer, someone to expand the game, to make tricky yet imaginative areas to leave the common player to awe. When your playing these graphical games, everything is pretty and shiney, leaving people wanting more shiney weapons and exclusive armors.

So what, we dont have graphics, what this game does is inspire the imagination. With a whole range of weapons and armors, people can customize characters to their own personal wants.
Areas can impact a huge time of our lives, leaving us imagining routes in our minds, each person having their own version. With the possibilities of each "grid" could be set to, a huge expansion of already ingame features can make this game a "one of a kind" leaving people in awe.
But, hiring a new person altho possible, will be difficult as the person would have to learn all the grid features, all the commands etc.. what I propose is someone already on the list to take control of the development, someone whos in the know and can easily edit features without fellow staffers help.

As always, staff are voluntary and not always got the time to do these things. This is very understandable as we all are humans, perceptible to illness, commitments and general life tasks. But area development isn't time dependent, some areas can take a few weeks, even months, but aslong new things are coming out, its a step forward.

Multi
Even with 20alts per 1 user, most areas are hard to conquer, some areas are capped to certain levels, races and classes, leaving this very challenging. Teaming with just 1 other person, making that a overall possible 40 characters, some of the ingame areas are still hard to conquer. All of this is very good, but at times people are not wanting to continually head to these areas.

What is needed on this side of the game, is a event runner, someone with a huge imagination to create random events, random quests, also having a sense of the game, knowing what prizes will be fair, what kinda of events catch the players eyes to join. This person needs to be intouch with the playerbase, understanding their needs, understanding any problems and take a role as a ambassador to the gamers.

As always, staff are voluntary and things can come up, with lets say, weekly events, people log on for a certain time to run these events and its frustrating when its not ran because of some reason, which is completely understandable. But maybe with someone who's on often or can pre-warn if a event will be cancelled or delayed would be great, as this will give the players an opportunity to check up. All this said, sometimes things are out of the blue and warnings cannot be headed, this is where the playerbase understand we're all humans, not machines.

Please keep any comments on track, as staff will delete anything against TOS and hand punishment if necessary, I will hate to see people getting banned ingame over something I started.

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#2 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5243 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:39 AM

I disagree about the multi server, but I agree that 1-Alt could use an area developer.

On the multi server, players are always able to do whatever they want, for the most part. Most of them can be done with a party of experts, so long as the party is well handled and has clerics. Every area except for the Dvergar Stronghold and Shifting Sands is completable with just a single user, and even those are explorable for a highly experienced user.
Every area in-game can be completed by two players teaming together.

So, the need for events and random quests is not as in-demand as the 1-Alt server.

I do feel that running moshes and other events is good for the server in many aspects, if for nothing other than interaction. However, running scheduled events every week along with random events and quests would probably cause the events to slip out of popularity within a month or two.
It would simply be demanding too much from an under-populated system.

It is easily possible to schedule an occasional TripleX or 3-Alt Prof. Tourney, but players tend to say they want these events, and never get a logical time for the events to be run. I realize this may be a portion of the game staff's job, but with the current trends, players would really have to show me they are willing to work and organize for events before the events are going to be setup or worked on very much.
Players simply saying they want things doesn't often mean they matter enough to put a lot of time into. Not because I don't want people to be happy, but simply because the less work put into actions, the less participation and give-a-damn people have about them.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#3 Isolated

Isolated
  • Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

I disagree about the multi server, but I agree that 1-Alt could use an area developer.

On the multi server, players are always able to do whatever they want, for the most part. Most of them can be done with a party of experts, so long as the party is well handled and has clerics. Every area except for the Dvergar Stronghold and Shifting Sands is completable with just a single user, and even those are explorable for a highly experienced user.
Every area in-game can be completed by two players teaming together.

So, the need for events and random quests is not as in-demand as the 1-Alt server.

I do feel that running moshes and other events is good for the server in many aspects, if for nothing other than interaction. However, running scheduled events every week along with random events and quests would probably cause the events to slip out of popularity within a month or two.
It would simply be demanding too much from an under-populated system.

It is easily possible to schedule an occasional TripleX or 3-Alt Prof. Tourney, but players tend to say they want these events, and never get a logical time for the events to be run. I realize this may be a portion of the game staff's job, but with the current trends, players would really have to show me they are willing to work and organize for events before the events are going to be setup or worked on very much.
Players simply saying they want things doesn't often mean they matter enough to put a lot of time into. Not because I don't want people to be happy, but simply because the less work put into actions, the less participation and give-a-damn people have about them.

well not doing any events, is not going to bring the popularity up, so why doesnt somebody try before they hate on the idea..
f uck you I wont do what you tell me

#4 JadedSoul

JadedSoul
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Far to often I see players compair main to 1alt. Yet there are huge diffrences. On main 1 player 20 alts or even 5 for that matter consume the monsters in the Rose Garden almost as fast as they spawn. However on the 1alt server you can literally have 3-4 players training in the same area and not be able to keep up with the spawns. Often times you'll find multiple players training in the same area and never even know it. So for me personally an expansion of the map isn't what is needed.

I'd much rather see the focus being put on balancing the 1alt server. All of us I am sure will agree that it needs tweaked. I'm not suggesting that all areas be designed so that an individual player be able to play them. Seems most suggestions are about something new yet there are very few ingame who have explored or gotten what is currently offered.

My list of things to improve on are:
1) Healable monster in the Catacombs.
2) Make all bosses/mini bosses kill to pass.
3) Make it so no boss/mini boss sqaure is log to local.
4) Open the Malok Thieves Guild to allow the same classes that can enter the Scarlet Daggers Thieves Guild.
5) Increase the level cap to level 30 on the Lush Jungle.
6) Make the cleric token boss heal to kill.
7) Add pictures for Clay Golem, Whispering Moccasins, Assassin Vine, Mutant Water Spider, Giant Crayfish, Stirge, Goblin Elite, Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Shaman, Gh'ul'arg, Ocean Shark.
8) Open the Withered Path to Clerics, Pallys, Druids levels 1-15.
9) Remove the Moon Well from Natura. Unlike other class resticted areas this one has it's own town. I think they will be o.k.
10) Allow the no teaming option for moshes. Not that all moshes should be no teaming. But it would be nice to see the best character win, and not the clan with the most players on.

That's just a few simple thing I think would improve the game. I can go on but I think that thieves guild suggestion is gonna cause me enough drama to stay busy til my next post.

Edited by JadedSoul, 18 February 2009 - 01:09 PM.

I am whoever you think I am.

#5 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

7) Add pictures for Clay Golem, Whispering Moccasins, Assassin Vine, Mutant Water Spider, Giant Crayfish, Stirge, Goblin Elite, Goblin Chieftain, Goblin Shaman, Gh'ul'arg, Ocean Shark.
10) Allow the no teaming option for moshes. Not that all moshes should be no teaming. But it would be nice to see the best character win, and not the clan with the most players on.

These ones are the ones i would like to comment on:

2) I thought this is the case? If so, should be implemented as it makes easy training otherwise

3) No, makes it so easy to check bosses and if people are there.

6) Makes sense, but obviously since using heals is very consistent can be high damage, the boss would have to be tweaked.

7) How is this improving the game? Main has the same problem, adding pictures dosn't do anything for balancing.

8) Withered Path is the one south of nightmist? east of worn path? Would be nice if so

10) Requires hard coding, the no teaming option before was just a comment, there was no command to disable partying

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#6 JadedSoul

JadedSoul
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

These ones are the ones i would like to comment on:

2) I thought this is the case? If so, should be implemented as it makes easy training otherwise

3) No, makes it so easy to check bosses and if people are there.

6) Makes sense, but obviously since using heals is very consistent can be high damage, the boss would have to be tweaked.

7) How is this improving the game? Main has the same problem, adding pictures dosn't do anything for balancing.

8) Withered Path is the one south of nightmist? east of worn path? Would be nice if so

10) Requires hard coding, the no teaming option before was just a comment, there was no command to disable partying

2) Malok
3) The suggestion was make it so NO boss was log to local. How does the person having to kill the boss or die make it easier?
6) Adding more hitpoints isn't hard.
7) Balancing is does not do. Improving the game it does.
8) Yes south and east of Nightmist
10) Coding is already done and has been used in the past. The option is currently disabled due to player complaints.

Edited by JadedSoul, 18 February 2009 - 07:45 PM.

I am whoever you think I am.

#7 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

In relation to 3 and 10:

3) I mean to check the bosses, if the boss is l2l, you cant just leave a crit there to load and log quickly to check. With it being not l2l, its to easy to set up checkers to see if bosses are in...

10) it was removed because it didn't work, all it was a comment on the mosh information to not to team, it didn't actually disable teaming, which is impossible to uphold in a mosh, thus the complaints, thus is being removed

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#8 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Not that I'm against it on 1-alt, but opening any of the Pacifist areas to other classes requires a bit more work than just modifying the class restriction; for example, Aglon the Scourge's drop requires interaction with the Temple of Pacifism, not to mention the final prize is a Pacifist-only item. Still, in that case, changing what classes can use the prize isn't a problem, I don't think.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#9 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

Well, depending on the boss, it would be easier to check it (Time Knight). On the other hand, it could make no difference at all (Gsw, HL).

It certainly wouldn't make them harder, unless people are assumed to be stupid and walk onto boss squares with one of their main crits. Good luck with any good player doing that.

I only see three major problems with 1a.

-Clerics are too hard to get tokens, clerics would give way to alot of differences in PVM combat, where slightly better spells, healing, and more stam would make 2 or 3 clerics able to heal for even the hardest of bosses possible. Zerks are starting to get very popular now (as the only class that could be more powerful then a thief, as I stated right when the 1a server started), so clerics need a higher lvl to compensate, going to kill imhotep/tirantek bosses with 5 clerics would be stupid imo

-Need lvl 31+ armor, or else all armor dependant classes will get left in the dust, we've already noticed the most armor dependant class, mages getting owned at even the earliest of lvl 30s. Staff say they don't want to increase armor because it might overpower some of the armored classes. Gaddy recently showed us that 250ish armor will leave a crit almost unscathed by an entire party. I'm not requesting something that strong. But by themselves, at lvl 35-40, fighters should cap around 150 armor, thieves 100, clerics 100, mages 80-90, ect. Just examples but you guys get it.

-High stam + high damage + go through armor = death. That's why there is extreme missage in the case for the zerks. That's what made them a balanced class, they either kill, or miss and die. The extra stam given to thieves (as early as 31) makes them able to assassinate anything lower lvl, and even some classes of higher lvl (mages), the only exception (bet you didn't see this coming) is zerks, who don't use armor. Their hit rate is too high to have such a power like zerks.

Thieves aren't an extremely powerful class, their damage reflects this, so they were given 75% armor peircing, which worked with 5stam. So they could keep up in the PVP world. Anyone who isn't stupid realizes this is too much for 6stam+, crits hp wasn't made to handle that, even with double gains.

Now, for myself, there are 4 mains categories for a class and it's balancing. If a class has 3 or 4, it's too powerful. Thieves have gold, training, and pking. The only aspect they don't completely own is bossing.

That way we can easily see which to take away, golding, thieves should be the master of that, but training easily and pking easily? Too powerful of a combo. I guess I could say take away dotw, but I like thieves having it and should have the ability to train leisurely, I'd say lower armor peircing % to 50ish to take away their ability to click almost anything under them and some above them. They'll still be great pkers, just not, "click, dead, I win duel in half a second."

The only other class I feel may be too powerful is zerx, they have pking and bossing, but training fluctuates between epic worst and epic best depending upon having a cleric.

Edited by Cruxis, 18 February 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#10 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Now, for myself, there are 4 mains categories for a class and it's balancing. If a class has 3 or 4, it's too powerful. Thieves have gold, training, and pking. The only aspect they don't completely own is bossing.

On the surface they only have those three, but when you have DotW easily available, it makes them own bossing as well. In the case of Pande that is, with 10 thieves they can do basically everything without a cleric.

Thats not to say they need to be nerfed, but I think other classes should be brought up to par with the rest rather than bringing others down. Namely Fighters/Paladins.

Edited by Autek, 18 February 2009 - 09:43 PM.

Autek in game.

#11 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Nah, I think it's fine. It's what makes a thief able to make such good gold and exp. I don't think other classes should be entitled to that so easily, mostly cause other classes can hnr for decent damage and they can't.

As for bosses, I was more talking of a time frame. Although I'd still say they're about even when being able to kill a boss. One cleric is about 400 health a round, a single thief is only about 50. It would take 16 thieves to be 2 clerics, I think that evens up okay. Although nothing stops a cleric from being in that party aswell ;p

I'd say 20 bd is kinda high for dotw, as I can still hit over 400+ in Maloks guild with 6stam. Crazy damage for such a "low" bd weapon. Then again zerks can do 70s with oak staff, so BD has never really played a big part. I'd like them to still be as proficient regaining hp. Maybe lower the BD to 16 or 17 and up the vamp to .25?

Edited by Cruxis, 18 February 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#12 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:29 AM

I also believe that both servers need their own dedicated staff to do development and to run events.

For the multi server, I've been heading up the development for a few years though I was away for quite a while due to my work schedule and am just now getting back to building. We do really need someone though who will run events, which neither Elf nor I can do at regular times each week (and which Gaddy doesn't seem to be interested in doing). I support the hiring of a new staff member to run events on multi.

For the 1a server, we just added Paradox to run events. It seems like that is working well. The 1a server does really need someone to head up development though. Months ago, the staff agreed to support Scripto as the primary point-of-contact for development on 1a. He's busy, but he's willing to look into the development issues on 1a and he has all the developer commands to make changes when needed. I spoke with him again tonight, and he's still ready for the job. Please direct all suggestions for 1a development to Scripto.

It's really good to see people working hard on both servers. Keep posting constructive comments, but try to keep each issue in its own thread... that makes it much easier for staff to see all the arguments and make an informed decision.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#13 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

Yay Mark <3

Its good to see the game progressing finally, still good suggestions coming through :ph34r:
Disaster ingame.

#14 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:54 AM

Everyone's replies are too long. Dumb it down a little please, or summarize at the end of your rant. I don't have all day.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users