New Directions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

1. it takes alot to play this game. how many crits are standard and how many do people use to fetch the paper in the morning. there was 100 crits on just a bit ago, and i know a good 10 of the 27 actual people were just sitting around. how do we encourage players to spend weeks of gameplay hours to get to a comfortable level of competitiveness?

2. the community has shrank, and cannot currently support an influx of players significant enough to turn the tide over to growth in nightmist again. there are helpful players and helpful clans but mostly it's a chat room here. some clans do things, most dont, and there's only a few that have a membership strong enough to help new players. most clans will be too apathetic or absent from that process.

i posit that nightmist's previous and current policies in respect to encouraging perpetual gameplay for new and continuing has failed, and that earlier success can be attributed to the absence of the above predominant characteristics listed.

I submit to you a new direction. i believe that sysops have no purpose in nightmist in their current duties. it is too large, and there are too few players, thus their work is in vain. i think that sysops and administrators should take up roles that have a mythological aspect instead of a productive role. i believe that creating a dozen or so immortals can encourage old players to be more active, and new players to hop on this activity. sysops should be immortals in their role and do less operating and more playing. they should have the freedom to actively participate in the goings on of mortal life, rewarding, admonishing, observing, and sabotaging as their role or disposition warrants. we have enough stuff, we need to provide an amusing way for our "staff" to contribute to the game now that we've reached the limits of land and events for the time being. people still collect the drops, but that's obviously not enough to keep this going. i believe if we transition towards a realm occupied with real beings of myth and immortality we can move away from the "tanking" style of gameplay that use for accomplish most things now. we have good resources in people, there are trustworthy players who have been waiting for something different or new or nightmist 2 or whatever. they're not gone, and some are still here and active.

nightmist needs more new players, and the course that it's been following has done little to that effect. i think that if we focus on developing the community as apposed to the bits and pieces of the game that this can be worthwhile again. of course i know this is just one more session of what has always been wasted time, but for the sake of a game we like, what do you think we can do to change the community of nightmist and get us more active?

Edited by EvilDognapot, 25 February 2007 - 11:06 PM.

Evil report carries further than any applause

#2 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:41 PM

So you propose that staff should be allowed to walk around doing whatever the hell they want and this will help the game grow??? It's like saying the police should be allowed to kill arrest and help anyone at their discretion. Creating a state of unrest and chaos in which one can be pkd by a teleporting staffer, ur logic is flawed plz try again sir.

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#3 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:04 AM

Police do Kill, arrest and help anyone at their discretion... :)
(at least here in the US they do)
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#4 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

So I should start to hunt players with my staffer and randomly spawn bosses, at which I should kill players and sabatoge over and over...then see what happens?
Sounds good...except..vague and off the wall.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#5 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

All I can say.... is that guy is the freaking genious. It doesn't make sense 100%... but if he said it, it's BOUND to work.

#6 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

i know it's vague but the way i see it, a balance can achieved by having the right roles represented. in greek mythology, not everyone can be loki, which is what i understand everyone should be afraid of, but not everyone can be hercules, or zues either. i'll try to be more descriptive when i have more time.

#7 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

You get the reward for one of the most retarded suggestions I've seen in a long time.

Seriously I don't see a one way how this would help the game, it'd be a nice little armageddon scene if the game were to ever be shut down but thats about it.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#8 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:40 AM

I support this, chaos would definately make the game more fun. I miss the Tax Collector :)

#9 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Chaos would prob work, like when everyone used to sit around petes when it was in NM, the constant chaos kept people on there toes and having a little bit of fun, dont see this as a long term solution though as it would eventually get boring.

#10 Elite

Elite
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

Just face it Nightmist is over. It will never be what it once was. Everyone has either moved on to better games or just flat out quit...No use trying to fix it, when it cannot be fixed.

#11 Element

Element
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

game needs a alt limit and a reset.

-Adventure To Fate Game Dev- https://itunes.apple...d871690289?mt=8

#12 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:00 AM

Agree 100% Element, but I've pleaded to staff time and time again, and they will not hear it. I also suggested another server to start off new, 1 character version of NM, and I never got a response. I think it would surely bring back a player base and simply be a much funner game to play.

EDIT: By 1 character version on NM, I meant a 1 character version of the current game. I don't think there is any need for a NM2, the current world is already made, and works just fine. Some monsters/bosses would just have to be toned down to be killed by 10-15 characters vs. 25 or so.

Edited by Autek, 27 February 2007 - 12:02 AM.

Autek in game.

#13 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

okay, we're not going into alt limits and resets. they're off the table and have been since, well, the reset.

for those of you predicting chaos alone, i'd like to reiterate that the function of immortals as apposed sysops would be an ebb and flow. yes, there would be periods of chaos, and then periods of harmony, or concentrations of these phenomenons existing simultaneously in different circles.

the point of it is, is that it could foster a dynamic aspect to the game that it sorely lacks. this game doesn't change, it just gets bigger. seriously, we're not getting radically different items, new ways to quest, fighting stances, skills or skill progressions, or anything like that. it's not going to happen and even dark strata comes out and is awesome, how many of us will be left to play it by then? nightmist needs to go in new directions that don't require modification to the game, because that isn't going to happen. it needs to reinvigorate it's community and it needs leaders, not baby-sitters. i only suggest this way because it was first that came to mind in response to my defining the problem. there could be other approaches but the end result has to be the same: we need to encourage perpetual activity that can foster a new playerbase to fill in the space left by everyone who has gone.

#14 shomer

shomer
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:55 AM

could make npc's that raid the towns periodically and can't be killed...i'm sure that would get people moving
Page me on Heritage

#15 Snoopy

Snoopy

Teh Housewifes

• Members
  • 1318 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

anything like that would just make people that sit about stop loging on all together not move lol
If smoking 1 cig takes 30 seconds from my life, but laughing adds 5 minutes, if I get stoned every night do I live forever?

#16 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

/t snoopy roflmao

I still don't know exactly what ur trying to say /evildogn anyways it's up to us to save nightmist not staff, they can't make people want to play, we have to make people want to play, so i say go out there and piss someone off, go pk someone who thinks they are untouchable, ban corrupted(plz staff), and finally get someone motivated and vengeful to make them move or quit, face it, if they can't bring it, they will get mad of the insults or w/e and leave ngh or hopefully the game.

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#17 MessiahX

MessiahX
  • Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

how about we have another war. Everyone loves to fight. =)

#18 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

ban corrupted(plz staff)

I like that idea :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users