• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

ok, for past week or 2 alot of stealing has gone on ... past couple mths alot of stealing has gone on, past 2 yrs alot of stealing has gone on...

ok my question im wondering bout is...

2 yrs + ago, ed was perm-banned for stealing right? every thief was suppose to get one those things for stealing...... why is that not 1 single thief got banned for stealing since ed was the guinnea pig for the perm ban the thieves idea?

yeh alot of u guys can say what u want, but i really would like to kno why ed was the only one that got punished for the stealing, to where ste/corrupted and blake/whoever hes hiding on dont get nothing done to them to where they are like biggest thieves on nm
Primex ingame

#2 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:34 PM

The point is that JLH stopped caring about sharing.. In his words if you share and get stolen it's your own fault.. I never really saw that as being right, but i guess that is how it goes. I think all the thieves should be perm banned no matter how much they stole. Teach them a lesson... Thievery is wrong even if this only just a game. Something should be done whether the theft was through sharing or not. Talk about language not wanting people to play.. All of this thievery being allowed will make people not want to play.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#3 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

if stealing isnt bannable and no past perm bans matter can I please have simons old acct ? (with csotw old tevlok etc)

either nothing is bannable now in which case alot of old school players could come back and should get their stuff or everyone should get a ban

Edited by Rappy_Ninja, 30 May 2006 - 07:46 PM.

Page/Memo Beatrix

#4 hotsauce

hotsauce
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

it all depends on who knows JLH and Pandilex the best, it seems like if you know them good then ya usually get helped, otherwise they just seem to blow it off

its all politics i tell ya!

#5 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'm gonna stick up for JLH a tiny bit here... I can see why JLH stopped caring about the thefts that happened when it comes to sharing. A lot of the thefts that have happened in the past few weeks have been due to sharing. Majority of the time, it gets to the point where you can't even tell if it was from sharing or not. THen you have cases like when mine got jack from the dude giving me and my clan that NM helper (the same one that the same person after I had to fight to get my stuff, used to jack a staffer's account and few other people's account). Anyone now a day can say "Oh well the person gave me the password" (which happened in my case and I'm sorry to say no I did not). How is JLH supposed to tell all this outside of logs that he alone has access to? It's a very time consuming process of detective work and JLH just simply doesn't have all that time. It's even more nerve wrecking when the majority of the nightmist player base does share.

However, all thefts reguardless of whether it was from sharing or not, should be banned. If person a does the stealing and says that "Person B told me I could have this and this and this", person a better have exact logs that matches JLH's logs or person a gets perm banned. Less stress and easy to prove.

#6 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

i say keep perm banning thieves, would really clean up the nightmist population... but that wont happen as almost everyone has stolen goods from someone that got robbed and sold their stuff to random people who didnt know
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#7 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

Just permban the thief. The people that buy the stolen stuff, maybe they would get a special recognition for returning the stolen stuff? Just an idea.

#8 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

I'm glad I learned my lesson way before any of these ideas were given initiative ;)

#9 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Anyway... Back on topic... Bill are you saying that Ed should be un-permed or are you saying that new thieves should be permed?
Disaster ingame.

#10 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

I don't think that is particularly a good idea to un-perm Ed but I can't say anything since I don't know what all he stole and what not. But seeing as how other thieves that have stole a ton of crap over and over again are allowed to keep coming back, why not be fair?

#11 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

The main idea he is getting across is how come Ed was the only one ever perm banned for theft.. and no one else gets perm banned for it and it is basically allowed.. Also to bring back perm bans for theft.. and i support it because if you steal you should be perm ban.. clear this game up some.

#12 hotsauce

hotsauce
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:03 AM

both yas are immature, just a matter of whose more immature then the other, which i believe is still a toss up

#13 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:24 AM

ed isnt banned nemore, we havent for how long... but i guess some ppl dno that

my point is simply this... how come noone else gets banned for it?
Primex ingame

#14 Ganja

Ganja
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:37 AM

The way I see it is that everyone knows that people steal on this game soo, people should just get their heads out of their azzes and stop sharing with people or just share with someone you know IRL so that way if you do get robbed you can do something about it yourself. I mean come on people get smart here, if you all know people steal why even share in the first place, theres other ways to get good at this game and you dont have to share plain and simple.

Edited by Ganja, 31 May 2006 - 02:40 AM.

#15 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

josh + blake = ban pls... so sick of hearing of theives...

and as for ste, i can tell you what ste stole.

ste stole items + crits from troy/blink, troy is just a bigger man and never comes around about it, but thats who he stole from and why people know ste as a thief.

Edited by Lappa, 31 May 2006 - 03:33 AM.

-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#16 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:15 AM

I've had to clean this thread three times now. Anything else in this thread that is abusive or that bypasses the forum filter will result in a forum ban and an ingame dayban.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#17 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:16 AM

It has been recently discovered that the reason Ed was perm banned was because he had a job and was controled by Nightmist. JLH and Pandilex knew that Ed would pay to get back, so they used him as an example. Turns out it was a win lose situation for them. They won in that each profited a small amount of money for letting Ed back. They lost because they thought it would slow/stop down the theft issues in Nightmist. I say we let the sleeping dog die. JLH and Simon can never step forward to speak for themselves on the issue because they would either have to lie which would only bring more flaming or tell the truth which could prevent them from making profits on Dark Strata. Oh wait that isn't coming out, my bad.

On the real tho I was at the "New SGH" and had a conversation about just this very topic. Looking back over the last two year what Ed did seems to have become the norm. There have been alot more serious cases that have simply been ignored or not resolved. Myself having been the victim a couple of times have found that it really comes down to who you know. If your in with staff and have a decent reputation then your problem will be handled. You might not always get the answer your want nor your stuff back based on JLH's finding, but he will address the issue.

We've all heard the don't share speech a thousand times. It doen't help at all. JLH has already said he won't address issues that involve sharing (which is a lie). Mindi had a Serphic Staff removed from my character after realizing I still had it after returning all Joel and Ryan's stuff. The staff was simply overlooked on my part because it was on a character that wasn't often played. I refused to return it to her, but had every intention on returning it to Ryan and Joel. Not even her staff and she was able to manipulate staff into retrieving it. Once again proving it is all who ya know. We all know she has sucked enough cyber turnip to make even Jenna Jamison proud.

Couple point to remember if your going to share. You do run the risk of having your stuff jacked. I don't care if you share with your mother. Greed will consume them. And that is the Nightmist communities fault. We place no value on a persons skill level, honesty, ability to train, or commitment to bettering the game. The only thing of real value to the large majority of Nightmist is who has the most gold and best items. We don't care that Mike (Stotic) could take 4 poorly rolled thieves and own us all, or that Tadpole could take two rangers and run threw the sewers slaughtering whole clans, or that Lyndsey could train huge parties of crits to arch in record time, or that Kim could train a single alt from level 1 to arch in 10 days. Those things don't matter because they don't look good in the Triplex arena when your opponents look you over.

We can blame those who steal for being dishonest thieves, but the big picture is we silently encourage this behavior by belittling those who play the game the way it was ment to be. Nightmist has lost sight of how this game is supposed to be played. many of us have outgrown the game, but instead of thanking JLH and Simon for the few great years that they held our attention and walking away. We sit at the gatehouses and trash talk the game and all who attempt to play it. The recent thefts have been commited by those I view as old timers who have become bored with the game. Just thank JLH and Simon and walk away. Allow the next generation to experience the same joy you found in the game when you started without having to fear being ripped off because your bored and bitter and can't find the strength to push yourself away from the computer.

With all that being said I still think JLH is weak for not just locking this thing down. Zero tolerance is much better then overlooking the problem all together.
My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#18 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:31 AM

These threads suck, I wish I had the power to lock them.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#19 acehardware

acehardware
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

josh + blake = ban pls... so sick of hearing of theives...

and as for ste, i can tell you what ste stole.

ste stole items + crits from troy/blink, troy is just a bigger man and never comes around about it, but thats who he stole from and why people know ste as a thief.

Yeah you want the full story here it is.. I come back today from football camp(;))and found out my rangers were traded , my main crit name (dilusion) gone

and i found out imported came back from quitting and was jacked..

by this little brother i have, and live with jacked em

i lose my crit name/ my 2 rangers which i find out he sold to rj for 2 zerks

so there's the scoop.

oh well my brothers locked outa account now, gg
- Josh

Edited by acehardware, 31 May 2006 - 07:07 AM.

chuck norris > all

#20 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:39 AM

Jared, why can't you lock these threads? Tis because you don't have sufficient privelages or something?

Edited by Äññöÿäñcë, 31 May 2006 - 08:39 AM.

Disaster ingame.

#21 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:30 AM

Yeah you want the full story here it is.. I come back today from football camp(;))and found out my rangers were traded , my main crit name (dilusion) gone

and i found out imported came back from quitting and was jacked..

by this little brother i have, and live with jacked em

i lose my crit name/ my 2 rangers which i find out he sold to rj for 2 zerks

so there's the scoop.

oh well my brothers locked outa account now, gg
- Josh

the "It wasn't me, it was someone on my computer" excuse got used up by blake x100

i dont think its a good enough reason anymore
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#22 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:44 AM

One problem I face is that thievery is becoming more obscure and sophisticated... I had received a lot of evidence that one of the crits I was given a few months ago was stolen; after reviewing the information, it seemed quite likely to me that the crit was stolen. Since I could not trace where a crit came from, I sent it to the rightful owner and left a note to JLH explaining what I had done. Then the apparent thief returned, quite angry, and he says that the "rightful owner" stole from him... so either he's lying, or the rightful owner conjured up some very convincing evidence. To be honest, I do not know which is right and which is not, and seeing that both of them are accusing each other of stealing from each other's accounts, I'm stuck!

My personal problem is, sharing or hacking, it seems remarkably difficult to trace where crits came from. If I could simply look back at a crit to see which account it was in previously, it would be a piece of cake to determine if it was stolen or not. But as I could not, I had to rely on intellect and evidence (which is all too easy to fabricate sometimes).

Try to keep the swearing and personal accusations out of the topic, please.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#23 Blink

Blink
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:55 AM

I agree totally with Exodia. Even though sharing is not supported in the game, legally if it shows in the logs that those crits were stolen and transferred and they legally belonged to someone else, its STEALING, regardless its still a crime, Ste gets away with alot of things, that is simply how he has his arches now. Alot of people would like it, if all their crits were email protected.

#24 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

I agree with Momba, use zero tolerance with the thieves. If they want to steal let them feel the consequences no matter how little the theft was. Perm ban them and they will learn their lesson. Clean the game up a bit here now and get this game back to the way it was supposed to be played.

#25 Boys Night Out

Boys Night Out
  • Members
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

A theft, in english law is, to appropriate property belonging to another with a dishonest intention to permanantly deprive.

Apply that to NM please.
Tread lightly, as you tread on my dreams...

Hansol ingame

#26 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

I've had to clean this thread three times now. Anything else in this thread that is abusive or that bypasses the forum filter will result in a forum ban and an ingame dayban.

Judging by the above a few ppl are gonna get banned ;)

Edited by Prophet, 31 May 2006 - 12:18 PM.

Si Senior!

#27 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

It has been recently discovered that the reason Ed was perm banned was because he had a job and was controled by Nightmist. JLH and Pandilex knew that Ed would pay to get back, so they used him as an example. Turns out it was a win lose situation for them. They won in that each profited a small amount of money for letting Ed back. They lost because they thought it would slow/stop down the theft issues in Nightmist. I say we let the sleeping dog die. JLH and Simon can never step forward to speak for themselves on the issue because they would either have to lie which would only bring more flaming or tell the truth which could prevent them from making profits on Dark Strata. Oh wait that isn't coming out, my bad.

jim, neither of us paid simon to let us back, i played the whole time we were banned and had a even bigger acct then our banned acct, did u ever stop and think me bein friends wit simon got ed unbanned? no, u go on bout ed payin to be unbanned which is total bs lol...
Primex ingame

#28 Carbon

Carbon
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

I agree totally with Exodia. Even though sharing is not supported in the game, legally if it shows in the logs that those crits were stolen and transferred and they legally belonged to someone else, its STEALING, regardless its still a crime, Ste gets away with alot of things, that is simply how he has his arches now. Alot of people would like it, if all their crits were email protected.

LMMFAO And you rely on bill for archs.... which is worse lmmfao go die plz

#29 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

since when does troy use or share with bill? he never has or will
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#30 Exodia

Exodia

Birr

• Members
  • 2265 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:57 PM

yeh its worse cuz bein givin something is totally different then stealing something that doesnt belong to u.. yeh gg noob
Primex ingame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users