Brain Teasers...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:54 AM

A certain animal lives happily and thrives here on Earth. One day, every single one of these critters is wiped out by a mysterious disease which affects only this particular animal. There are none left anywhere on earth -- they are all gone. About a year or so later, they begin to reappear on Earth again.
How can this be?

Phibi - main / Survivor- 1a

#2 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

The animal is the offspring of two different species. (Much like a Mule is the offspring of a horse and a donkey.)
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#3 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

that's right... and another

In front of you, there are 9 coins. They all look absolutely identical, but one of the coins is fake. However, you know that the fake coin is lighter than the rest, and in front of you is a balance scale. What is the least number of weighings you can use to find the counterfeit coin? explain.

Edited by Phibie, 15 April 2006 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

It's possible to do with using the scales once.

Pick 8 random coins, put 4 on each side - if they're balanced then the fake coin is left.

Based on luck - but still possible to do with one weighing ;)

Edited by Stigmata, 15 April 2006 - 01:06 PM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#5 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:30 PM

that'd narrow it down to 4 stigmata, then you do it again to narrow down to 2, then you do it again and you've got it ;)
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#6 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

If there are 9 coins, and one weighs slightly less. By putting four on either side of the scales, if it balances then the 9th coin is the fake. If it didn't balance, then yes, you're right JLH.

Edited by alone, 15 April 2006 - 01:38 PM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#7 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

JLH: 0 - Stigmata: 1

;)
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#8 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

no one's got it, ;)

#9 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

It is possible to do it in 2 weighings.

First, split the coins into 3 sets of 3, then weigh two of those sets.

If one side is lighter than the other, then that side has the fake coin on it; if it balances, then the set that isn't being weighed has the fake coin.

With the three coins remaining, balance two of them... if one coin is lighter than the other, then it is fake; if it balances, then the leftover coin is fake.

Try the harder version now, where there are 9 coins but one is fake, but you don't know if it is heavier or lighter than the rest!
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#10 Muse

Muse
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

Are they identical? if not then the fake 1 will look fake ;) .
To Live Is To Die.

#11 Guest_Doom_*

Guest_Doom_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

bite them all, the fake coin will have chocolate in it.. ;)

so we don't gotta use the scales at all!

#12 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Nice - however i'll stick to my way, which only uses the scales once. (if your super lucky muahahahaha)
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#13 combusta

combusta
  • Members
  • 1185 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:03 AM

crane is right, ive heard this 1 before

ah the intelligence of combusta, the envy of all nightmist players...

o shut up tony

#14 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:01 AM

i'm still bored, so heres another...

How quickly can you find out what is unusual about this paragraph? It looks so ordinary that you would think that nothing was wrong with it at all and, in fact, nothing is. But it is unusual. Why? If you study it and think about it you may find out, but I am not going to assist you in any way. You must do it without coaching. No doubt, if you work at it for long, it will dawn on you. Who knows? Go to work and try your skill. Par is about half an hour.

#15 Kenzaburokamos

Kenzaburokamos
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

i think i remember this from when i was a little kid in school. It had to do with something about vowels. Like paragraphs usually have all the vowels...but the one u have there doesnt have an 'E' (edited part)>>but the aiou and even the y is there... lol

Edited by Kenzaburokamos, 16 April 2006 - 06:07 AM.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within...
Trance_Steel ingame

#16 aeagle

aeagle
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

Not one word has the letter 'e' in it anywhere. 'E' is the most common letter in the English language.

#17 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:43 AM

yeah, i don't have any idea what you are talking about at the end, but yes it's that it doesn't contain the letter E.... one more before i go to bed

John's mother has 4 children... the first child is named April, the second May, the third June... what is the name of the last child?

#18 Da_J_Mooney

Da_J_Mooney
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

The last child's name is John.
Aequitas In-Game

#19 Kenzaburokamos

Kenzaburokamos
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

u left the easiest one for last man...lol
Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within...
Trance_Steel ingame

#20 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:00 AM

yeah, i know that was easy but I was tired... now i can't go to sleep so here are some more.

There's a certain 10-digit number where that the first digit is equal to the number of zeros in the entire number, the second number is the number of 1's in the entire number, and so on, to where the 10th digit is the number of 9's in the entire number. What is the number?

A man has recently escaped from prison and is making his way home on foot. He is walking along a straight rural country lane in bright daylight. He has walked about two miles from the prison, when he sees a police car coming toward him. Despite knowing that all squads would be out looking for him, he ran towards the car for a short while, and only when he was about ten feet away, did he turn and run into the woods to hide. Why did he run towards the police car?

Edited by Phibie, 16 April 2006 - 08:00 AM.

#21 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

1. 6210001000 - 6 zeros, 2 ones, 1 two, 0 threes, 0 fours, 0 fives, 1 six, 0 sevens, 0 eights, and 0 nines.

2. He's on a bridge
I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#22 Phibie

Phibie
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

Both are right...

A rich man's son was kidnapped. The ransom note told him to bring a valuable diamond to a phone booth in the middle of a public park. Police officers surrounded the park, intending to follow the criminal or his messenger. The rich man arrived at the phone booth and followed instructions but the police were powerless to prevent the diamond from leaving the park and reaching the crafty villain. What did he do?

#23 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

Well, I assume it didn't travel down the phone line, so my guess would be some kind of underground tunnel below the phone booth (thinks of "Speed")
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#24 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

He never instructed it to stay in the park, the rich man left the park with it.

#25 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

Both are right...

A rich man's son was kidnapped. The ransom note told him to bring a valuable diamond to a phone booth in the middle of a public park. Police officers surrounded the park, intending to follow the criminal or his messenger. The rich man arrived at the phone booth and followed instructions but the police were powerless to prevent the diamond from leaving the park and reaching the crafty villain. What did he do?

I've heard this one before, and I must say this one was pretty stupid. If someone can actually get the "right" answer without hearing it before/googleing it, mad props to you.
«¤Mêad¤»*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users