Anti-pk Measures

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

why is that we have to restrain the aggressors? lets devise new ways to prevent excessive pking, only this time, lets restrain the victims from thier own bad judgement. I'll start...

1. each time your party size is limited for crits from your pc/account for an amount of time. example, you get slaughtered in the middle of nowhere with 7 crits, spawn at the pub, and are forced to leave two crits behind. this way, you're one: discouraged from returning weaker than before, and two: forced to create a more powerfull and flexible party if you do seek revenge.

2. if you die in the same area you got pked in less than an hour before(lets say in an area of 8x8 the center being your death spot), you don't actually die immediately. the pker gets a BONUS TIMER! yes, after he kills you the second (third, fourth, or fifteenth) time, a timer keeps you alive for a few more seconds where the pker can "kill" you more times, at a greater cost to you. example, player A kills player B and gets 6 seconds of bonus time, where player B's HP goes back to full each time it's depleted by player A. each time player A depletes player B's hp during bonus time, player B loses an increased amount of experience. first time is normal exp, the second time is double, the third time quadruple and so on. also, this is where cheesy sound effects would be most usefull.

any other ideas?
Evil report carries further than any applause

#2 lowmion

lowmion
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

lol

#3 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

The pk'ing system is just fine as it is. And your idea would just add more fuel to the fire. If newbs can't handle being pk'ed, then they just were not meant to play this game. Not evey game is easy. You're gonna get killed repeatedly.

But since we are needing new meat in the game.. perhaps maybe put a limit on how many times a crit can pk someone.

Example:

MysticStorm pk's Newb2U 10 times. After 10 times a message will come up saying "MysticStorm has killed this person enough. Take a break." and that would last 24 hours. So each crit would be only able to pk a crit an x amount of times within a 24 hour.

So if this idea doesn't do it, then don't bother with any other cause I seriously do not see a change to the pk'ing system what so ever.

Flame away.

#4 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Dognapot's ideas actually own so much lol.
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#5 deadman

deadman
  • Members
  • 2395 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

They will not happen, and there is no need to change the current system.. unsupported.
Contact Unforgiven on 1a.

#6 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Member No.: 1337

nuff said
Page/Memo Beatrix

#7 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

But since we are needing new meat in the game.. perhaps maybe put a limit on how many times a crit can pk someone.

Example:

MysticStorm pk's Newb2U 10 times. After 10 times a message will come up saying "MysticStorm has killed this person enough. Take a break." and that would last 24 hours. So each crit would be only able to pk a crit an x amount of times within a 24 hour.

So if this idea doesn't do it, then don't bother with any other cause I seriously do not see a change to the pk'ing system what so ever.

Flame away.

this is just the total opposite of what we need. the fact that players can get pk'd repeatedly by doing the same thing over and over again is symptomatic of a terrifically dull learning curve. especially since it's to the point that they learn to come onto the forums and declare a right to be pathetic players who should have every ability to impose thier unadaptive playing style on the rest of us before learning not to repeat getting killed.

logically speaking, complex methods that require players to think are not enough as evidenced by ingame scurmishes. we need to speak thier language, which i can only assume is similar to the voice acting in tekken 3 or mortal kombat. when another player kills them and then proceeds to demolish thier living corpse to the sound of "FINISH HIM", "SHOW NO MERCY", and a combo meter. that'll get the message across to new players, "you're being pwned", and "no they are not abusing the game, you are abusing yourself".

as i side note, i am getting tired of the suggestion apathy we have here. just because something isn't the usual, "lets make an arbitrary color change to the text system for 'better organization'" suggestion that gets picked up easily shouldn't mean it doesn't deserve discussion.

#8 Rappy_Ninja

Rappy_Ninja
  • Members
  • 2923 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

Example:

Flame away.

logically speaking, complex methods that require players to think are not enough as evidenced by ingame scurmishes. we need to speak thier language, which i can only assume is similar to the voice acting in tekken 3 or mortal kombat. when another player kills them and then proceeds to demolish thier living corpse to the sound of "FINISH HIM", "SHOW NO MERCY", and a combo meter. that'll get the message across to new players, "you're being pwned", and "no they are not abusing the game, you are abusing yourself".

oh wow

ahahahahahhah rofl
Page/Memo Beatrix

#9 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:10 AM

Which is how the 10 level gap is flawed as well as your theory as to how they will not "learn to stop getting repeatedly killed". Right now, the way the current pk system is, a ranger is only good once they get rapid fire, mages are only good once they get blast though they are extremely better with beam, zerks are only good at level 20+, druids are only good once they get stormwrath, and thieves aren't really all that good till level 20. (will stop there considering these are the classes that have one click attacks with exception of mages because of the power of beam) I can't really see a level 13 crit ranger taking out a level 23 ranger that has rapid fire at any given time. The same could be said for the rest of the classes.
Now compare with my proposed solution with current pk system and your proposed solution. You are saying that a level 23 ranger pk'ing a level 13 ranger over and over again is far less worse than my solution of only allowing a level 23 ranger pk'ing a level 13 ranger 10 times and be done? That is "symptomatic of a terrifically dull learning curve". The only balance that the 10 level gap serves is that it helps the weaker players learn the pk styles of the stronger, higher level crits and even learn how to evade. Otherwise, sure the level 13 crit can try to fight back against the level 23 which gives the player a chance to learn how to fight, but otherwise, they really learn nothing because the level 23 crit is just too powerful to try to over-come in any given situation (unless the level 23 person runs out of pots, has no cleric, and just doesn't hit well at all but extremely unlikely scenerio.)

By adding a limit as to how many times a crit can pk another crit, it kills the repetition of the act and forces the aggressor to use another crit with either the same level/abilities or weaker and possibly give a chance to the weaker player. (this is assuming that the aggressor doesn't have very many level 23 crits).

Otherwise, this is the only flaw to the current pk system, but it's also the greatest balance as well. The current pk system is fine as it is which I was going to originally say in my first post, but figured to try and give my solution a shot. And I'm sorry, but the aggressors are rewarded enough in this game as is.

They have voices running through their mind all the time. When an aggressor pages the victim saying "Pwned" and what other rubbish they have to throw in. So the victims of pk'ing are being victimized enough. If they keep returning to the same exact spot where they got pk'ed before, that is there stupidity and the aggressors get rewarded more with another player kill added to their profile and whatever items the person drops the next time they keep going back to the same place. However, never should the victim of pk'ing be weakened even more by having to abandon crits that were pk'ed. (not that your solution would work anyways because the result would be, just log off the crits that were pk'ed and log on new ones.)

All of us that have played this game for a year + have all started out the same way with the exception of the really old players that didn't have 10 level gap in the beginning and had to fend for themselves at any level. But sounds to me like you're just one of those old players that are sick of being owned by the newer players that learned to manuever around the pk'ing and become the same strength to either now over-power you or least do more damage to you than you are doing to them. So all in all, the current pk system is working perfectly. Leave it alone!

#10 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

i can see your point of view just fine so please don't think i misunderstand you at all. limiting the amount of repeated pk's is certainly effective in it's ability to do what it's designed to do. however, it fails to approach the root of the issue which is that none of us are entitled to any further coddling.

i am one of the older players who has been here before any pk restrictions and you can still find my posts on the old forum from when the lvl cap was introduced on testing terms. it's just as effective as your idea because it only promises to do what it does, but cannot actually guarantee any protections for people who could use them. so after these years we have the 23 ranger and the 13 ranger doing the same thing that archs would do. no difference there and no difference with another pk restriction. after the 10, there will be another 10, or someone else will step in for 11-20. no big deal. if anything it will slow the learning process.

does this help anyone? not really, because in the end players do what they have been doing since nightmist was hosted on a 56k modem: they adapt (as much as they have to). so what i'm suggesting is to use the tenacity of pkers to help those still learning the ropes to go from a snails pace to flying by the seat of their pants. the goal would be to foster a tougher generation of players than what we have now. it really comes down to game mechanics and ramping up alts. it's built more complacent and less adaptive players who generally bore through problems with the force of crits. crits, that keep coming back for whatever reason.

i don't know if you know, but i am pretty much retired. maybe everyone can pk circles around me now but i don't have to take my shoes off to count the times that happened to me over the three years i was active. i've seen some of the best play like dumbest because they really, really, want to train for 12 hours straight in their favorite spot, or get the museum key for 15th time that day. i've always considered it to be foolish because they would pick off lvl 15 crits over and over again and feel superior. they could've just been given the crits on day 1 for the sense they show. so it's not like it's unneccessary education or vengeance for petty people like myself (and i am petty).

nightmist's strongest asset is pking, and we shouldn't have to control players to control pking. instead of blocking paths we should simply encourage players to not to wander down 'gettin' killed avenue' in the first place.

#11 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

And I'm sorry, but the aggressors are rewarded enough in this game as is.

How? I don't pk too often, but I only consider myself rewarded if my victim pages me afterwards crying ;)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#12 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

agreed, its always fun to listen to them whine, or like karla and make excuses how i wasnt alone, when i pk alone 99% of the time, only if im going for 2 people do i ask someone to accompany me.

and i love the idea... lets even put the mortal kombat sounds in game for every kill, like the "SHOW NO MERCY" and please, make a combo meter so my cleric can do like a super wind kick or something and instantly kill crits
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#13 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

does this help anyone? not really, because in the end players do what they have been doing since nightmist was hosted on a 56k modem: they adapt (as much as they have to). so what i'm suggesting is to use the tenacity of pkers to help those still learning the ropes to go from a snails pace to flying by the seat of their pants. the goal would be to foster a tougher generation of players than what we have now. it really comes down to game mechanics and ramping up alts. it's built more complacent and less adaptive players who generally bore through problems with the force of crits. crits, that keep coming back for whatever reason.

I can understand that point of view, however, another flaw in the plan. We can't build a tougher new generation if the current one keeps beating the crap out of the newer generation to the point where the newbs get frustrated and just quit the game which is why I feel the level gap is a necessity. I'm not arguing the point that people shouldn't be killed for making the same mistake twice. However, there really isn't very many places for low levels to train. Lage forest is now pretty dangerous for those that are doing the magimox-crystal hunt and the friends that are helping to protect those in that quest. Sewers ultimately suck, especially to a new person who doesn't know their way around them, South NM has become a little safer but not by much. Unless a newbie really knows someone in game to help them, most of the newbs that do join us, are completely clueless as to the game schemetics.

But being that you're hell bent on this idea lol, least tweak it a little. Maybe once a crit reaches level 20, they are left behind once pk'ed. This way then, they have 10-20 to learn the real schematics of the pk system. At level 20, they should pretty much know what they should and shouldn't do when it comes to training or fighting for that matter. Least at level 20, they have a better fighting chance and are not completely underdogged.

And mike, I only accused you once of not fighting by yourself (which I was right at the time) and reguardless of whether you were alone or not, I was going to run after awhile anyways being I wasn't bout to give up the 200k that I had earned. So good luck in making me cry or claim I'm whining. It'll never happen.

#14 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:38 AM

oh please, no one is crying over your sorry waste of space in the human race. And don't brag too much because I got half of your party before you even got half of mine, so I wasn't the only one who died and alex was there too. So keep trying to make yourself look good. You're doing a sorry job at doing it.

#15 Lappa

Lappa
  • Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:36 AM

funny... alex was OUTSIDE OF MUSEUM... man and me on 9 thieves, no druid... and ur on 14 + gold holder, u run with 3 alive and u had ur gold holder cuz u need a baby crit cuz u know im hunting you. well.. all im gona say is ""do i really click that fast and kill you so easy that you think i always have someone with me?? cuz really, you would have seen alex + zerks in the museum somewhere hitting u, yet all the kills and hits were assassinates, and u only got 4/9 of mine... u had 50% more crits than me and still got tore up... i even have logs... just seriously, you call me sad, maybe you should quit the making up stories to make urself think ur better than u are
-Lappa or Woodstock-

Property of Jessica

#16 acehardware

acehardware
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:49 AM

both of you stfu, n get lifes its juss a freakn game pansies
chuck norris > all

#17 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:18 AM

it's still my opinion that we coddle to much as is, but i could concede that much since it's mostly a problem for players 20-30.

#18 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

When is this being added ingame? :\
Si Senior!

#19 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:52 AM

I do not fully understand the suggestion, but Dognapot is always right.
Supported.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#20 Dark

Dark

Cronus ingame

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:22 AM

Iunno if its coz ivce have a good few drink down me but these ideas seem really realy pointless..... why!?
from this confusment im experiance ,,,, Unsupported yeah?

#21 The_Shadow

The_Shadow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

IMHO the pk system does work as was intended... which is to meet new people. However the PK system is flawed.. As a new player with the incredibly dull learning curve I recieved multiple deaths at the hands of the same people repeatedly. This fueled my desire for revenge.. but it also nearly caused me to quit playing NM I agree with the notion of limiting the number of times in a day that one crit can kill another. Because without such limits the new people coming into NM are more apt to quit then to try and learn anything more about the game because they feel as though they are being "stalked" or pursued.. I was and did feel that way. It was my sheer stubbornness that kept me playing though I did seek revenge on those that stalked me for their PK pleasure. It is one thing to pk someone and move on about your business. but it is another to wait for them to try and continue training only to be killed into negative exp by the same person or persons.

Xx_The_Shadow_Xx in game.

#22 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:18 AM

IMHO the pk system does work as was intended... which is to meet new people. However the PK system is flawed.. As a new player with the incredibly dull learning curve I recieved multiple deaths at the hands of the same people repeatedly. This fueled my desire for revenge.. but it also nearly caused me to quit playing NM I agree with the notion of limiting the number of times in a day that one crit can kill another. Because without such limits the new people coming into NM are more apt to quit then to try and learn anything more about the game because they feel as though they are being "stalked" or pursued.. I was and did feel that way. It was my sheer stubbornness that kept me playing though I did seek revenge on those that stalked me for their PK pleasure. It is one thing to pk someone and move on about your business. but it is another to wait for them to try and continue training only to be killed into negative exp by the same person or persons.

a lot of really big games are really bad because people who should've quit when the learning curve was too sharp for them, in turn, complained en masse until developers thought, "well, that's money talking". part of building a good gaming community does involve discouraging some players to keep on.

for example, the calculation quizes on the roller keep the profoundly retarded from doing much in NM, and complex trading commands require an understanding of syntax. there is a learning curve here that discourages players who don't like to do more than click things repeatedly, and pking is part of this too. you're proof of it, you learned, it took awhile, but you're better player now, and really, is it so much to learn? if you die when you do something, then quit doing it.

#23 The_Shadow

The_Shadow
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

a lot of really big games are really bad because people who should've quit when the learning curve was too sharp for them, in turn, complained en masse until developers thought, "well, that's money talking". part of building a good gaming community does involve discouraging some players to keep on.

for example, the calculation quizes on the roller keep the profoundly retarded from doing much in NM, and complex trading commands require an understanding of syntax. there is a learning curve here that discourages players who don't like to do more than click things repeatedly, and pking is part of this too. you're proof of it, you learned, it took awhile, but you're better player now, and really, is it so much to learn? if you die when you do something, then quit doing it.

Agreed you don't want lamers in the game that can't handle it.. but Putting a limit of ten deaths on a single crit by another would not limit that... the dummies would still get taught that they are messin up.. but it won't get to the point of aggrivating the good players who are simply training a new crit...

#24 Bunny

Bunny
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

At times theres as little as 10 users with maybe 15-25 characters online. And you want to restrict pking further? Flippin, no way! Unless you have unlimited patients its near impossible to find people.

NOT supported.

#25 Guava

Guava
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

these posts are all rediculus to be honest. the 10 pks idea is stupid... if i pk somebody like 4 times in a row i stop cos by that time its just lame. i know everyone doesnt... but seriously get over it. karla the 10 kills thing is daft tho cos by the time it got to like 7 times they will have given up or changed crit or quit anyway.

pking needs no more limiting. i find it hard enough to find new people to pk anyway... cos ther isnt many...or any.

i pk freely and dont realy want any restriction. so not supported in any way.

stop this thread and dont whine cos its never gonna change anyway.

first post in ages! lol and it sounds whiney :) go me!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users