6 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

http://www.nightmist...mp;#entry170096

That was the first time I've ran that event. The 8 vs 8 one class on each team were very good fights, however, when the winning 8 remains I am at a loss on how one of them can fairly win the event or prize.

Some thoughts.

A 1-alt trip to a created mini-boss, where it will drop a weekly/appropriate prize. Would mean non-attacking alts such as the cleric will be at a disadvantage.

RR, fair but... well you know, far from perfect.

Fight it out. Gives some classes an obvious advantage over others.

Anyway post any ideas here and I'll look them over. Thanks ;).
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#2 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Split the 8 finalists into 2 teams as follows:

Team 1: Fighter, Druid, Cleric, Thief
Team 2: Zerker, Mage, Pally, Ranger

Then duel, team 1 vs team 2. Winners go through to next round:

Then: Fighter + Thief vs Cleric + Druid
OR Pally + Mage vs Zerker + Ranger

And again...

Final: Fighter vs Thief
OR Cleric vs Druid
OR Pally vs Mage
OR Zerker vs Ranger

You get the idea. I've tried to make it all as balanced as possible, but maybe there's a better way of doing it ;)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#3 Kazul

Kazul
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

On what planet would a fighter+thief be able to beat a druid+cleric? lol

I hate to post w/o providing positive feedback but it's a tough call, i think the 4v4, 2v2, 1v1 idea could be successful in the end, but as you said, some classes have very obvious advantages over others.

Randoming the teams is always an option but i know we'll see a druid/paly/mage/zerker vs fighter/thief/cleric/ranger very quickly lol.

Let's be realistic, in these fights the only way a mage is gonna die is if a zerkers clicks them, leaving alot of these bout's to be potentially one sided for the class that fairly easily can round palies/clerics(non dwarf)/rangers/thieves(non dwarf).

Perhaps my opinion is biased but that is how i see it...
Solitude can be the birthplace of both genius and madness...

Can be reached In-Game on:
Kazul
Stonesour
Hangover
Maximus

#4 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

I can not see a possible fair fight no matter which way you go. One thing for certain, a cleric and a druid should never be teamed together. Cleric + druid could actually whipe out all the rest of the classes with gaea's blessings, righteous fury, and all the other protection spells they have combined. So that's a bad teaming right there.

I would team as follows:

Cleric + zerk
Druid + fighter
Pally + Ranger
Thief + mage

That way then, none of the healing classes (druid cleric pally) are never together. Mage and thief would stand a reasonable chance against the other pairs and it's pretty much fair and equal. Just randomize which team will fight which team. Then it will never be the same.

#5 Raylen

Raylen

Your #1 fan!

• Members
  • 2329 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

You can't team a cleric and a zerk together, thats madness lol.

In any case, I have assumed no precasting...so fighter and thief can just hold on either the cleric or druid and should stand a reasonable chance.

It's probably worth a go ;)

Plus, mages can lose 1v1 against cleric, or even pallys (Deimos lost to Liquify in 1 alt not long ago)
+1 post count ggpwnedkthxbai

it's plausible that the SOB hasn't spawned

¯¨:·»Gently spamming the forum since 2003«·:¨¯

#6 Wibble

Wibble
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

I havent directly any ideas on a solution but one thing you could do is to randomise the possible ways of ending from the 8 remaining players so the players dont know whats going to happen when its just 8 remaining. So like, it COULD be a RR, or it could be an all out 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 (with no prep of course), or totally random teams, or any other ideas you like. Just so that people can't build too many plans and have to think on the spot, run or just attack!
So like, if you chose the final event to be 4 battles of random teams of 1v1 you could warn all the players to be 'ready' (dont tell them what you have chosen) and just drop the selected players into the arena so they have to just get to it. They wouldnt know it was a 1v1 and might be expecting a RR or anything else. Obviously when it gets to the last two they would know but it would add some suspence and things would be interesting Im sure!

Just my thoughts.

-Will

#7 Kazul

Kazul
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

Well i own old Liquify now, and i can honestly say the only way i'm gonna beat a mage is if i just heal non stop till they run outa mana. I've seen 2 diff NON devastate mages round that paly, so i dunno how he did it lol, all i can guess is just as i said, heal non stop.
Solitude can be the birthplace of both genius and madness...

Can be reached In-Game on:
Kazul
Stonesour
Hangover
Maximus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users