Solution To Town Gate Ktp Problem

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

ok, since people keep saying 'if you dont like it think of something better', I finally have

Make town gatehouses reduce your stamina to zero when you enter them from the outside, paired with a message 'You are entering (town name)'

This is more realistic (unlike the owls preventing you from entering a town), dosnt totally and completely discriminate against lowlevel alts (like the current method and the toll-guard method does) and dosnt leave you vunerable to pkers while doing something simple like trying to enter a town (guard A to guard B as an innocent trader is set upon by a bear at the town gates - '1000 gold the bear wins', guard B - '1000 gold lappa beats the bear to it')

#2 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

good idea :)
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#3 Äññöÿäñcë

Äññöÿäñcë
  • Members
  • 2132 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

lol @ lappa comment.

and I agree completely, good idea :)
Disaster ingame.

#4 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

Doesn't deter gate training.. just makes it a tiny bit slower.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#5 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

What you've done now doesn't fully stop gate training either..

#6 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

So you just magically get tired when you enter a town...

Honestly, I think it's an effort that should be appreciated; bit I don't believe it realistic.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#7 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

Honestly, I think it's an effort that should be appreciated; bit I don't believe it realistic.

Well, Customs make people tired when they enter a new country! There are a lot of subtle things that take away 'realism' from the game in that their presence has no meaning or explanation if thought about very carefully, but are largely overlooked for balancing reasons.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#8 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

True, but that's completely un-related to what I was saying.

I pointed at a detail that's directed related to came. A person can run around the whole world with 1 stam. So why in an instance lose all stam when entering a particular square in-town?

Once again, I understand the attempt to fix a problem, and obviously you make a valid point concerning realism being put aside in certain situations to make game more balanced.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#9 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

i still dont see how this helps...... simply wait for stam hit and run back into town to wait for stam again....at point when 3 stam return using 2 and running back for one isnt that bad.....plus mages have blessed haste and can get upt to 4 stam back and clerics can get up to 4 back with holymight.....i also would like to know how many stam come back for those spells when they have 7 stam and such

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#10 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

i also would like to know how many stam come back for those spells when they have 7 stam and such

At 7 stamina, classes will regain 4 units, or 5 if they use Blessed Haste, Holy Might or some other stamina-boosting spell that I've missed. At that level though, even if gate-training was still allowed, the XP of the monsters in question would make it a rather prohibitive way of training, with the exception of Silversail.

Edited by Crane, 26 April 2007 - 09:35 PM.

The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#11 Woodstock

Woodstock
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

lol, just make a Lappaguard at each town and if you survive me, you get a cookie and can enter the town
When life slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry walls.

Lappa/Woodstock on Multi
Dubs/Cold on 1a

#12 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

The delay of the town guards opening the gates and checking you out can account for the loss of stamina

also, Mages dont have Blessed Haste, thats clerics. they can cast it on mages but its costs a LOT of mana
and, ye it would be possible to gate train slightly, but you would either be training twice as slow, or with reduced stamina, making staying outside a lot more profitable

Edited by joanna, 27 April 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#13 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

The KTP monsters were added to stop gate training.

Mind you the monsters end up stacking up and instead of one monster
its always at least 2,3 or even 5 monsters KTP.
There has to be a solution possible to make the monsters not stackable on the same square.

Might as well put a landmind on that square, sometimes it goes off and sometimes your lucky
and it doesn't.

just a thought
:)
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#14 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

Mind you the monsters end up stacking up and instead of one monster
its always at least 2,3 or even 5 monsters KTP.
There has to be a solution possible to make the monsters not stackable on the same square.

The solution has been in place for quite a while, it was just waiting on an update from JLH. It should be active now. If you find a kill-to-pass square with more than 2 creatures, leave me a memo with the location.

#15 newb2

newb2
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Yes, there is a solution in place now, but there are better solutions. Just because you think of something that works alright, doesn't mean that that's the end of the discussion on that.

heh

#16 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Please read more carefully.

I responded to a specific question about 4-5 monsters stacking up on a kill-to-pass square. The solution to this was waiting on JLH and has only been active for about 48 hours now.

I've made no attempt to end the discussion. When I feel that is appropriate, I'll lock the post.

However, as I posted earlier, this solution does nothing to stop gate training, which is the reason that kill-to-pass was introduced. If you want to propose an alternative to KTP, then you need to at least address the original problem.

#17 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

And note that the problem is being able to attack with stam regain and move directly back to a non-attackable square, as well as people being able to run to any town without being high level enough for it to be appropriate for them there.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#18 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

as well as people being able to run to any town without being high level enough for it to be appropriate for them there.

Since when has this been a *problem*? Since when have towns had level limits?

Oh, and who made the rats kill to pass? Since when has people gate training on rats been a *problem*?

That seems to be the *problem*, there IS no *problem*. Are you going to say that people logging on, killing stuff and gaining exp is a problem next?

As for Trevaynes 'Doesn't deter gate training.. just makes it a tiny bit slower.', you are wrong. totally wrong. The method i proposed would reduce your training speed by half, or your stamina each hit by 1, depending how long you wait between each attack.
Not by 'a tiny bit'.
This is roughly the same as training in an arena, which is nopk anyway. And it dosnt screw up clerics coz they they have to get past a snake, bear or rat whenever they need to go into town.

Edited by joanna, 29 April 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#19 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

The fact is that it would leave gate training possible.
It would make you hit with 1 less stam per round, and people would probably find a way around it.

If you wish you bicker and complain about it, we can just lock the topic because that kind of input isn't helping at all.
We don't want this game to be so easy...we are working on making it more difficult and forcing team play a bit more.

I do agree that is 'screws up clerics', but clerics of all classes should be forced to have company...they're too easy to work with, even without the extra 20xpd.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#20 £ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ

£ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

how about we just make it so once you leave a town you arent alloud back in that exact town for so many seconds(enough for stam to come back twice atleast or w/e), that'd stop gate training, unless you plan on hiting a monster and then running to next town and then back and forth which would take forever

anyways just a thought

#21 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:04 AM

I don't think there is any sort of timer coded into squares at all, and that makes even less sense than having to kill any monsters you might drag into town before coming in...
It would also be harder to implement such things in places that are not simply gatehouses. We've had to adjust several squares that were set to not allow monsters to follow.

Not trying to discourage you from coming up with ideas; I just don't think that one works with the current system.

#22 £ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ

£ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

true, well i personally do not feel that the ktp is such a bad thing, i just think its very very very very very agervating. i understand the reasons behind them but i still dont understand how come leechs and rats are guarding the entrances, lol

#23 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you are looking for an in-game reasoning behind the kill-to-pass outside of cities, look at it this way:

Gatehouses throughout the realm have finally decided to stop opening their doors when there are hostile creatures outside. Gate guards have been instructed to keep the town gates closed until there is no danger of a hostile creature being admitted into the town. If you want to enter a town, you'll need to ensure that there is nothing nasty that might be able to follow you inside.

#24 £ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ

£ã Cò§tâ Ñótrâ
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:05 PM

ok, the ktp's arent a bad idea and i understand the reasoning behind them but i do feel that some of them are lil to hard to get in the city that your looking to get into, after all 5 ogres is hard after you killed two trolls lol just to get to dendeya, or bt i had to fight 3 earlier that took time lol

#25 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

That has been covered.
There is a grid stat that has been buggy for us.

Please report any squares that are KTP to get into a town that that have monsters stacking over 2.

#26 Throwback

Throwback
  • Members
  • 1248 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

dont worry ive given trevayne a couple of memoes about a couple of instances that he hasnt been able to replicate that i have encountered

Vegas 1a....formerly known as Memphis
¨¨*(^.^)·:*¨¨

#27 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

What about making it so that you need full stamina to enter a town, that way people running between towns aren't affected but gate training can't happen coz you'd then have to sit outside for at least 10 seconds just to get back in.
Si Senior!

#28 newb2

newb2
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

That sounds very reasonable.

heh

#29 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

What's the big deal? Kill to pass is annoying, and inconsequential; get rid of it.

Besides, what's the point in making this harder? All the people who log in on NM1a in one day are still outnumbered by slices of bread in a loaf, quit punishing the people who still have the patience for this grindfest. Accomplishment is fun, but it's not a long term entertainment strategy as I can personally attest to.
Evil report carries further than any applause

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users