Possible Bug

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:52 PM

I like the idea of the Mage just not setting off the trap at all. But then it'd have to have something there to prevent players using a Mage as a leader, and the effects of Protect still working - A simple thing like, the Mage has to be solo to use Protect properly, not leading a party.
"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#62 Tadpole

Tadpole
  • Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

Ya, there is all these diff idea's for the problem....but the only solution to the problem was by gaddy....by It just protecting the mage from traps and not hurting others if the mage moves onto the same square...that was the problem ste posted in the first place. No need to change the spell

Edited by Tadpole, 25 June 2004 - 03:58 PM.

Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real.

KuMiko in game.

#63 lowmion

lowmion
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

/t tadpole
Yeah because not every mage user abuses protect and for a class that's very hampered as it is, downgrading mages abilities simply because of 1 area that some are used in a bad fashion isnt fair to all.

Perhaps make the area a zone that protect cant be cast in, or that the effects of protect are negated, as this problem is area specific, :)

#64 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:32 PM

It isn't area specific at all, it could be done on Mt. Sentant, Gnome Caves, Gnoll Fort and anywhere else there are traps that partly damage characters.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#65 Shane

Shane
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:06 PM

I like the idea of protect being "dispelled" once a trap is tripped, making the mage cast it again. But as for the stamina use I dont think that the 1 use is enough. Remember mages have haste. My opinion is that once the trap it sprung the protect goes away and they lose 2 stamina and are visible again if they were invisible in the first place (we all know that when a mage steps outta town they are most likely invisible)

"Before my time is done I will look down upon your corpse and smile!"

#66 Thunderja

Thunderja

Desperate Housewives #1

• Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

An interesting twist on defensive spells is the aura of protection. By modifying their energy ouput they may shield themselves from inanimate objects such as traps and flying objects. The downside is that the spell has no power if the cause of an assault is directly willed such as someone attacking.

I think an arch mage could master this spell with no half measures easily....

If you have noticed who are doing these attacks you will see that they are unmarked (no clan) lvl 15 or so mages, maybe make the spell protect a lvl 25 or so spell.

I think Gaddy's idea of maybe a kill to pass monster on the first square and every now and then after, or my idea of making trap squares and non trap squares alternate the whole way through are the best options, im not just saying that so my mage does not get one of his spells cut down.
I wouldn't mind stabbing you in the face, if that's cool with you?

#67 Sleeping

Sleeping
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

Chronos as it is great area. I like how parts of it can be used to ones advantage. It is possible only place in game where one can kill vastly superior opponents using only personal wits instead of “alts”. Even though it was not intentional, the challenge with falling branches is already in game as are many creative ways to overcome it. Overall it makes area more dangerous and risky as it is was intended to be in first place. Just most people prefer to rush through whole area for easy gains and take no measures to protect themselves.
If person does not takes druid there and does not knows how to use him properly then there is always risk of dying

/t Stigmata I’ve enjoyed that day when two of us were trying to kill each other in jungles by using traps. Even though you ultimately managed to kill my party, it still proves my point that traps can be avoided with enough skill. Now I think about it, I’ve could make up with much better strategy then I did that time and partially or completely safeguard myself against such assaults in future (that is if area won’t be changed then). It is always good to meet intelligent opponent like you but unfortunately most people prefer to whine about it instead of striking back.

Edited by Sleeping, 26 June 2004 - 01:51 AM.

Does not play well with others.

#68 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:13 PM

Chronos as it is great area. I like how parts of it can be used to ones advantage. It is possible only place in game where one can kill vastly superior opponents using only personal wits instead of “alts”. Even though it was not intentional, the challenge with falling branches is already in game as are many creative ways to overcome it. Overall it makes area more dangerous and risky as it is was intended to be in first place. Just most people prefer to rush through whole area for easy gains and take no measures to protect themselves.
If person does not takes druid there and does not knows how to use him properly then there is always risk of dying

/t Stigmata I’ve enjoyed that day when two of us were trying to kill each other in jungles by using traps. Even though you ultimately managed to kill my party, it still proves my point that traps can be avoided with enough skill. Now I think about it, I’ve could make up with much better strategy then I did that time and partially or completely safeguard myself against such assaults in future (that is if area won’t be changed then). It is always good to meet intelligent opponent like you but unfortunately most people prefer to whine about it instead of striking back.

Myself and Al also enjoyed it actually, found it stimulating to actually find someone who can use the best of an area to his advantage. But with that being said it was not how the area was intentionally designed (as explained on thread) and therefore that is why I started the thread. I have no problems with what you did, as it was an interesting way to kill us - but i'm simply not liking the fact that a single mage with protect can get away with killing a whole party of level 30s without suffering any damage at all. The whole concept behind what you did is perfectly acceptable, and i'm sure in other areas it would be a good tactic to use which is why i'm asking for something to be done about traps so staff can specify when/how they are activated if required. Had that been possible when we were staff, the traps would still be there, but you would not be able to trigger them 3 times a second.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#69 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:18 PM

As another idea as a possible tone down to protect -

When the mage enters the square and is protected from the trap, I suggest a 3-5 second recovery period where the mage must recover from the blow before he/she can continue......

I can't see it being that much of a major insignificance to mages, but it would be enough of a delay to allow for the traps to be 're-set' and for an opposing party to atleast have a chance to move off the square/retaliate.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#70 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:36 PM

I feel now, (after reading through this page and deleting a load of off topic rubbish), the best option is probably to just make protect not trigger traps ever.

That way mages can still sadly run through an area without being hindered by traps, as they can now, nothing new. But, this means they wont be able to kill other people while running around the areas.

#71 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:03 PM

What if the mage is the leader of a party? In theory, wouldn't the mage be able to drag 15 Arch crits to the end without them ever suffering trap damage?
Posted Image

#72 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:14 PM

This is a major issue... and one possible solution stirs up other problems. To answer that question, I say that traps should be triggered for players who move onto the square only. That way, a mage leading the party won't get harmed, but the other crits will, and a mage entering a square with protect won't trigger the trap for players already on the square.

But... then there is the issue that Pandilex mentioned, the type of trap. If it is a falling object, then it is likely to crush a large number of people; but if it is a pit, players already stuck in the pit after suffering damage from falling in won't get damaged again.

There isn't really a solution to this except to keep on the lookout for Mages who want to make your life a misery.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#73 Oracle

Oracle

Wes

• Game Staff
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:55 PM

I feel now, (after reading through this page and deleting a load of off topic rubbish), the best option is probably to just make protect not trigger traps ever.

That way mages can still sadly run through an area without being hindered by traps, as they can now, nothing new. But, this means they wont be able to kill other people while running around the areas.

+make it trigger still hitting all but the mage if the mage leads a party in. Not hitting people already on the square though.

I think this would do.

#74 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 05:14 PM

What if the mage is the leader of a party? In theory, wouldn't the mage be able to drag 15 Arch crits to the end without them ever suffering trap damage?

I had said that, bum.

Well sumerised, Oracle. I hope this gets changed.
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#75 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

Awww, I think it's a good idea for mages to trigger traps. I mean, if the branch is there, why not use it? If the darts are there, why not use them? It's using the square to your advantage and lends some strategy to Nightmist.

#76 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:21 PM

I found a bug that allows me to make millions of millions of gold in Nightmist in a very short time. It's not a abusign a bug, it's just using something to my advantage. It lends some strategy to Nightmist.
Posted Image

#77 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:02 AM

/t Squee o no, I thought I was the only one who knew about that...now my advantage is ruined :'( at least you and I will keep it fairly secret though ;-)

Ya...I guess the mage would still have to trigger the traps some how to keep players from having a mage lead and skipping though the jungle without being hit at all..
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#78 Shane

Shane
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:44 AM

Hmm, I have been thinking about this and I am not sure if this was mentioned or not but what the heck if it has been mentioned already take my reply here as a thumbs up to the before mentioned suggestion.

Why not make it so that when a single crit passes onto a trapped square that since they are the one tripping it they are hit with the damage. Example:

Crit1 is in a party with 5 other crits in tow. Crit1 is leading the party.

Crit1 trips the trap and he is hit with the damage from the trap. Seeing as the rest of his party is following his lead each trips the trap also and are hit with damage from the trap. Now lets say they stop on that square and heal up. A mage happens along thats invisible and has protect cast on him/herself. This mage comes along and hits the trap and sets it off. Seeing as the mage is the triggering crit he would be hit with the damage from the trap but protect is saving him from this. Now the others that are still on the square are not harmed because they are not triggering the trap. So the mage can run back and forth all he/she wants and not harm anyone. If Crit1 was to lead his party back 1 square and enter the trapped square again then each crit would trigger the trap once again and take the damage from the trap.

So in closing my point in this is that if you enter a trapped square you trigger it and you get hit with the trap. If you are already on the trap and it is triggered again then you are not hit with the damage because you did not trigger it again. Seeing as the intended effect of these traps are to hit the one triggering it, even if the one triggering it is a crit following a leader.

I say again I apologise if this has already been mentioned.

"Before my time is done I will look down upon your corpse and smile!"

#79 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:54 AM

That's what the post is about, the opinion that you're correct Shane, and that people are 'abusing' how the game has traps work on players.

Anyway, I completely agree with how you put it...if they didn't trigger the trap, they really shouldn't be hit by the trap...it'd stop any way of messing with a party, rather than just mages with protect...no running 2 separate zerks on and off 2 times each or anything either.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#80 Paranormal

Paranormal
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:31 PM

Here's the only solution I see to this..... Who ever changed the jungles and made it so wimpy with such tiny poisons needs to go back and fix back to the way it was.... problem solved.... no more newbs going to OUR Chronos anymore... and umm (people) aren't forced to take such drastic measures to protect our territory.... yessss.... that's it.... makes sense to me =)

once again Stigmata thank you for the best area in NM =)
Kevvy=Manda's Suga Daddy

#81 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

/nod paranormal

The threat of having your party mowed down in jungles by a mage is the only thing stopping the game been flooded with time blades/boots now that anacondas have lost their position as one of the most feared monsters in game

#82 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

I'd also completely agree here - The poison damage in the jungle was a vital part of the area to stop players simply running through it without challenge.

The area is designed for large groups of players and I'd like to see it changed back.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#83 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:45 PM

Poison needs to be fixed in Chronos, BIG TIME.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users