Photo

The Kill List

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

Poll: /Toggle Kill List (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the list be made /Toggle'able?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#61 CaptainWinslow

CaptainWinslow
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

Total Game Time: 250 days, 10 hours and 41 minutes.

#62 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

If you make a weakness (which this clearly is) toggle-able, people will either toggle it on the spot, or get forced to toggle it by the people who still use the kill list to pk. It's the same with clan loc, it's toggle-able, but no one turns it on anyways.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#63 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

I don't get it, where did anyone mention they couldn't get lvl 40 because of kill list? :) but anyways back on topic i've seen you mention keep it the way it is becuz its been how it is for the past 10 years, 1. it isn't main and 2. it should have been modified from 1alt started, but thats like saying keep something broken just because its been broken for so long... can't understand the logic in that.. :P

#64 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Clearly a silly sugestion Eamon. However whats wrong with keeping kill lists and only limiting to 1 monster? gotta get to 40 killing something.... :)

I don't get it, where did anyone mention they couldn't get lvl 40 because of kill list? :wub: but anyways back on topic i've seen you mention keep it the way it is becuz its been how it is for the past 10 years, 1. it isn't main and 2. it should have been modified from 1alt started, but thats like saying keep something broken just because its been broken for so long... can't understand the logic in that.. :P

1. I didnt realize if you don't like the way something works, it's broken. Seems to me the kill list has been doing what it was intended to do the whole time. Some people chose to abuse it. So its not that the kill list is broken, people just abuse the way it works.

2. Who are you to decide it should have been modified from the time 1a started? The game must change because some people abuse the way it works? That's like saying they should change youtube, because some people post videos that arent their property there. Or, how about lets do away with all prescription drugs, because some people abuse them right?

#65 Arsenal

Arsenal
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

supported. with time, improvements are made..isn't that how the world works. besides if /toggle is such a huge deal whats the problem with showing the monster kills.. just not the number?
-

#66 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

I'm Chris recognise biitch, anyways sams idea isn't bad either i jus figured /toggle would be easier and most ppl i've talked to don't seem to care about it much either.

#67 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

I couldn't bother to read the 2nd of 3rd page too much.

Why make the game easier?

Uhh

Why keep the game easier? Looking at a kill list to know where someones hot spots are, where they've never trained, ect. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Oh I'm sorry, pking isn't a decent portion of the game, no one does it, taking away the kill list would make it easier....lol (I don't..quite get that either)

If someone knows where you train, they should have to find you training there. Not type a link, make 3 clicks, and compare some numbers. Simple as that.

A kill list would be like a /web, and opens only for that crit. They don't need to be public. I think I saw this suggested already, it's the best suggestion. People have their kill list WITH numbers, and people can't abuse them for ezpks. Everyones happy.

Edited by Cruxis, 21 April 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#68 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

supported. with time, improvements are made..isn't that how the world works. besides if /toggle is such a huge deal whats the problem with showing the monster kills.. just not the number?

I suggested this in the first post of this thread lol

If you make a weakness (which this clearly is) toggle-able, people will either toggle it on the spot, or get forced to toggle it by the people who still use the kill list to pk. It's the same with clan loc, it's toggle-able, but no one turns it on anyways.

Exactly. But I just suggested making it toggle-able because Eamon loves to look at his kill list so much. This way everyone is happy.
Autek in game.

#69 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Choice or no choice, I don't see how its fair.

I guess you haven't been reading as well as you say you have. I answered that several posts back. Here I'll look it back up for you.
Autek in game.

#70 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

If you come up with an idea that is fair, I'll support it.
This is across the board, everyone feeling the same effects of it, thus being fair.

If you don't believe that's the truth, look up the word fair in a dictionary and educate yourself so that you understand what it means.
Autek in game.

#71 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

The issue was Kill Lists being time sensetive. The problem has been fixed to a 24 hour window. This could be fixed by a player's effort in not training in the same places over and over. Why make staff put in effort when the solution is of your own free will. Or if you really want to avoid PKs, get a better personality and make friends with the enemy?

(DA or Pande - It works both ways. Making it fair. I train in literally 10 different places to avoid PKs (Or did).)

#72 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

The Toggleable idea sucks.

Keep it or get rid of it. I say keep it the way it is (it's already been fixed once). We've only been playing with it resetting daily for like what.. a week?

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#73 IXThunderDomeXI

IXThunderDomeXI
  • Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Why keep the game easier? Looking at a kill list to know where someones hot spots are, where they've never trained, ect. Doesn't get much easier than that.

From a training aspect this suggestion will make the game easier since you could train somewhere for a long time without being found. From a pking aspect this makes the game harder due to the fact you can no longer see what players have been killing. It really comes down to which one do you want to make easier (or harder), training or pking? Personally I voted no since I don't like the idea of making training easier.

Edited by IXThunderDomeXI, 21 April 2010 - 03:43 PM.

Angry_Anarch/Matityahu in game.

#74 IXThunderDomeXI

IXThunderDomeXI
  • Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

Also nightmist is a MUD game which is pretty much a text based RPG
Angry_Anarch/Matityahu in game.

#75 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Keep it or get rid of it. I say keep it the way it is (it's already been fixed once). We've only been playing with it resetting daily for like what.. a week?

Yeah, the toggleable was just to appease Eamon. I think this got brought up because while the kill lists were down we got a taste of how the game was meant to be played. Not having to watch your back because someone was looking you up on a website and figuring out where you were was nice.

When you have people who are so intense and play on a single character like 1-Alt is it doesn't take long for everyone to adopt every little advantage they can. It's pretty easy for staff to look at what is being exploited and decide if it is supposed to be used as such or not. In the beginning they realized that the healing bonus was an advantage being exploited with my paladin clan, and realized gate training could be exploited. Both were fixed and everyones moved on, though not many liked it at the time. Looking at kill lists is an advantage that was found out, exploited, and is not used as intended. It needs fixing.

The kill lists were supposed to just be something someone could look back on and be amazed that they'd killed 6492 Black Bears, and talk it up to their buddy. If their buddy didn't believe them, they themselves could look it up for proof.

Also, while the 24 thing was a step in the right direction, but doesn't solve the problem. It's like figuring out your roof is leaking and putting a bucket underneath it to catch the drops. It's a minor fix but it doesn't fix the problem at the roots.

Edited by Autek, 21 April 2010 - 04:45 PM.

Autek in game.

#76 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

A kill list would be like a /web, and opens only for that crit. They don't need to be public. I think I saw this suggested already, it's the best suggestion. People have their kill list WITH numbers, and people can't abuse them for ezpks. Everyones happy.

^

Only possible arguement against this, wanting to use the kill list to pk.

Only supporting fact, you shouldn't train in the same place for too long and if you do, you deserve to be pk'd.

...lol

Yeah, you shouldn't train in the same place for so long, cause someone will FIND you there, not because they know you are. *Well, as of now, they can't know for sure instantly, but still a strong hint.*

Anyone?

Edit: *

Edited by Cruxis, 21 April 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#77 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

I couldn't bother to read the 2nd of 3rd page too much.

Why make the game easier?

Uhh

Oh I'm sorry, pking isn't a decent portion of the game, no one does it, taking away the kill list would make it easier....lol (I don't..quite get that either)

If someone knows where you train, they should have to find you training there. Not type a link, make 3 clicks, and compare some numbers. Simple as that.

Alex, you argue with me, then tell me my suggestion is the best idea? I'm saying it from my point of view. The person that doesnt bother going out looking for pks.

How much easier does it need to be to sit in front of a pc screen and click your mouse a couple times a minute?

And how can you say that while the kills lists were down you got an experience of the way the game was meant to be played, when the kills lists were there from the beginning.
Think JLH made the profile count mob kills completely on accident?

I mean come on. You are stating that your opinion does not match what is true right now. What is true is that the kill lists are there. You think they shouldnt. How can you tell anyone else that you experienced the way the game was meant to be played, unless you were the person that coded the game?

Oh wait, you DONT know the way the game was meant to be played. You have a simple opinion, the same as me.

But for some reason, you constantly think yours is right, and I'm just dead wrong.

#78 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, the toggleable was just to appease Eamon. I think this got brought up because while the kill lists were down we got a taste of how the game was meant to be played. Not having to watch your back because someone was looking you up on a website and figuring out where you were was nice.

The kill lists were supposed to just be something someone could look back on and be amazed that they'd killed 6492 Black Bears, and talk it up to their buddy. If their buddy didn't believe them, they themselves could look it up for proof.

Also, while the 24 thing was a step in the right direction, but doesn't solve the problem. It's like figuring out your roof is leaking and putting a bucket underneath it to catch the drops. It's a minor fix but it doesn't fix the problem at the roots.

Yet you completely ignore the idea that I put forth, and for what? It would be enough to make me happy, and you wouldnt get pked as much.
Some people sit and play this game, and we don't abuse the game's mechanics. I like looking at my kills list and seeing where I've been and what I've done.
So someone abusing the game's mechanics should change the game completely?

Like I said, if you want to ignore my ideas, throw a better idea out there. Just deleting kill lists is a crap idea. Punish people that don't abuse it because some do? How much lamer can you get?

#79 DownFall

DownFall
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

why not just remove the numbers behind the monsters u killed so u still get to see what monsters u killed but not how many and if this has been said before im sorry i dont like to read all the crap :P

#80 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

why not just remove the numbers behind the monsters u killed so u still get to see what monsters u killed but not how many and if this has been said before im sorry i dont like to read all the crap :P

I mentioned that in my first post, which was the first reply lol
Autek in game.

#81 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Yet you completely ignore the idea that I put forth, and for what? It would be enough to make me happy, and you wouldnt get pked as much.
Some people sit and play this game, and we don't abuse the game's mechanics. I like looking at my kills list and seeing where I've been and what I've done.

Like I said, if you want to ignore my ideas, throw a better idea out there. Just deleting kill lists is a crap idea. Punish people that don't abuse it because some do? How much lamer can you get?

Your idea of a pop-up window with the kill lists? I guess that would work, but it would be much simpler to just make it toggle-able. Then if you wanted to check it you could toggle it on, copy/paste the list as Freek said, and toggle it back off. I thought we had already covered that. . . And yeah I think just flat out deleting it would suck. Hence making it toggle-able so you could check your lists real quick and turn it back off.

So someone abusing the game's mechanics should change the game completely?

Uhm, yes. That's why kill to pass monsters were introduced to get into cities and safe spots, because a few people were gate training. Not everyone was. Also, why healing bonuses were yanked because a couple clerics arched in a week or two. Again, not everyone took advantage.

This is just a loophole that needs fixed like all of the other changes that have been made. And in this case most people are taking advantage of it than the few that warranted the earlier changes.

Edited by Autek, 21 April 2010 - 08:51 PM.

Autek in game.

#82 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

If it had to be changed at all I would support atleast having the names of everything you have killed on it and not the numbers as stated before on this thread. I'm one of the ones that enjoy seeing what mobs they have killed(not just bosses) ..especially quest mobs.

I don't really see a good enough reason for it to be changed. If it is I hope its only for 1a.

Edited by Gnarkill, 21 April 2010 - 10:25 PM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#83 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

Best solution in my opinion is to make the kill numbers toggle-able. Kill names would remain. And all of this was for the 1-Alt server only.
Autek in game.

#84 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

The idea of seeing the lists up the way the /web is done seems to be the simplest idea but may turn into a lot more work for JLH I would think in trying to code it. There are ways of making it so it can not be copied or drug to your desktop to store the picture, as a lot of professional sites do this now so none of their pictures can be copied or saved without payment. Just seems like a lot of work

The list could also be set to update longer then every 24 hours. Once per week, or even monthly would be just as good.

The idea of comparing mob numbers killed has always intrigued me. I like to check to see if I still have the most gardener kills, or how far I've dropped behind Clayton in Adel kills, as an example.

And yes, I have used the player kill lists to go find a cheap pk or two from time to time. But if a player sits on the same mob long enough, he is going to be found.

Certain players like Christopher(loki), were very hard get get a read on before he joined Pande(later leaving) because he moved around a lot. The same for Eurox. He moved around a ton, and was very hard to keep track of, no matter how many times he would l2l, dc, or what have you. There are a few others, but these two came to mind first.

I am not saying no one should be able to camp the 3 snakes south east of the old spring day in and night out. But eventually you are going to be spotted, and pked by an enemy. And if you continue to go back, you should expect the same to continue.

I personally think making the kill list update either weekly or monthly(best scenario imo) would be the best fix. It would allow people to camp a certain area for a good while before wanting to move on to better areas.

I will rename all the mobs to carry the same name.

HAPPY HUNTING!

This solution works just as good now too. We can call them grey blobs, and use this pix.

Posted Image
I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

#85 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

Ok we've all been down this road before and given the recent changes i think it's the most positive solution to it. Some people like the kills they have acomplished over time and have the right to keep them and i'm all for that but the other argument is that it's abused to find pkz and compromises training spots which i admit have abused also.

So there it is, please keep this post respectable and give a reason for your choice, Thanks in advance.

-Chris.

By the way, did you just not ask for this...

I miss em too now, i wanna see what ya'll been killin especially now we got higher lvl thieves in clan :P

5 days ago? You did get what you wanted didn't you? This is what some people mean by asking for something, then getting it, and then asking for it to be changed yet again.

Maybe you may want to think twice before asking for something in the first place next time.
I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

#86 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

That's not enough Walt. Upon creating your 1alt account, you must be issued a cobalt staff of the winds, other people have them, why shouldn't they right? I mean, it makes it fair.

Then you are given 2 pxpppx and a pxpppp, and you have a 50 percent chance of being given a 6 stat as soon as you create your account. Other people have them. Its only fair right?

So Manda worked hard to get to level 40. And she did it the way the kills lists were before. Where they updated every time a person logged off. Why should anyone agree to anything that makes it easier on you when she had to do it the way she did all the way to 40 and then some? If she can do it the way it was, and then, after she had done it, it was changed once already to make it easier to hide from pkers, what more do you want? Training areas limited by what clan you're in?

Wait. As I have been saying. Nightmist isn't easy enough for you right? Lets just give them EVERYTHING they ask for. Free Cobalts. Lets just get Aidon back, why dont we?

#87 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

That's not enough Walt. Upon creating your 1alt account, you must be issued a cobalt staff of the winds, other people have them, why shouldn't they right? I mean, it makes it fair.

Then you are given 2 pxpppx and a pxpppp, and you have a 50 percent chance of being given a 6 stat as soon as you create your account. Other people have them. Its only fair right?

Refer back to the dictionary and read the definition of fair again. You clearly misread it again, or just can't comprehend it. Characters and items in game are earned. Everyone has an equal opportunity at obtaining them through the same means. Giving that stuff out like you say would make it unfair to those who did earn the characters and items.

So Manda worked hard to get to level 40. And she did it the way the kills lists were before. Where they updated every time a person logged off. Why should anyone agree to anything that makes it easier on you when she had to do it the way she did all the way to 40 and then some? If she can do it the way it was, and then, after she had done it, it was changed once already to make it easier to hide from pkers, what more do you want? Training areas limited by what clan you're in?

Devotchka has the glory of being the first level 40 ever, and she did it with kill lists. That's a great accomplishment. However if we were to live by your extremely outlandish examples nothing would ever be changed in the game. Ever. I mean what you're saying is so ridiculous that you could argue no new area should ever be developed because that makes a larger map for people to level on when others had to level when that area wasn't in game.

Wait. As I have been saying. Nightmist isn't easy enough for you right? Lets just give them EVERYTHING they ask for. Free Cobalts. Lets just get Aidon back, why dont we?

As said before, once again, it's not about making the game easier, it's about making the game be played as intended.

Autek in game.

#88 Dangerous

Dangerous
  • Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

5 days ago = Sarcasm, really need that emote :P

#89 Eamon

Eamon
  • Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Refer back to the dictionary and read the definition of fair again. You clearly misread it again, or just can't comprehend it. Characters and items in game are earned. Everyone has an equal opportunity at obtaining them through the same means. Giving that stuff out like you say would make it unfair to those who did earn the characters and items.

Devotchka has the glory of being the first level 40 ever, and she did it with kill lists. That's a great accomplishment. However if we were to live by your extremely outlandish examples nothing would ever be changed in the game. Ever. I mean what you're saying is so ridiculous that you could argue no new area should ever be developed because that makes a larger map for people to level on when others had to level when that area wasn't in game.

As said before, once again, it's not about making the game easier, it's about making the game be played as intended.

And what is so difficult to understand that your opinion MAY NOT BE what was intended? Why dont you get off my nuts and train? Oh wait. That's not easy enough is it? Staff. Come give him some exp. He's been busy whining on forums.

#90 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:30 AM

[Clan] Tietsu: THE MUTHERFRUCKIN' PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED
[Clan] Tietsu: k
The Pandemonium clan (8 online characters):
Hitokiri (Chairwoman) (Ñåtúrä£ ßørñ Ker) (468/468) -- (Hidden).
Devotchka (Founder) (Aposiopesis) (475/475) -- (Hidden), AFK (Watching it all fall apart.).
Fyzzlyr (Founder) (being legend all depends on how late u can stay up. HEROES!!) (238/238) (372/372) -- (Hidden).
Astinus (Leader) (RPA - Rican Protection Agency þânÐê fõ® £ífê) (143/418) -- (Hidden).
Caramel (Scott) (312/332) -- (Hidden), AFK (/sing I hate everything about you.. /watching it all fall apart...).
Hero (¨*:·-Féâr Nó Mâñ-·:*¨¨) (307/307) -- (Hidden).
Peacemaker (B.A.W.:P (380/380) -- (Hidden).
Tietsu (ÆGIS) (336/336) (414/414) -- (Hidden), AFK (Watching Di watch Manda and Walt through their window.).
[Clan] Tietsu: Who wants to go pwn BL real fast.
[Clan] Tietsu: Raise your hoof.
[Clan] Hitokiri: it appears it hasnt though
Caramel was cut down by Astinus's mighty assassinate!
Caramel was cut down by Astinus's mighty assassinate!
Caramel was resurrected here, after being killed by Astinus.
You invited Hitokiri to join your party.
You invited Caramel to join your party.
You invited Peacemaker to join your party.
[Clan] Peacemaker: what problem?
[Clan] Tietsu: 'The' problem
Fyzzlyr just forgot to block Hero's rapid fire!
Fyzzlyr just forgot to block Hero's rapid fire!
Hitokiri just went East.
[Clan] Peacemaker: what was 'The' problem
Hero wasn't fast enough to avoid Astinus's assassinate!
Hero wasn't fast enough to avoid Astinus's assassinate!
Astinus succumbed to Hitokiri's expert skill with her assassinate!
Astinus succumbed to Hitokiri's expert skill with her assassinate!
Astinus was resurrected here, after being killed by Hitokiri.
[Clan] Tietsu: The biggest problem NM has ever faced.
[Clan] Tietsu: Kill Lists.
[Clan] Tietsu: lmao
[Clan] Peacemaker: thats been fixed for days now
[Clan] Tietsu: THAT'S WHAT I SAID
[Clan] Tietsu: lmao

Edited by Tietsu, 22 April 2010 - 12:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users