Anyone Getting Wow Beta?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:31 AM

kk i made a dwarf pally today.Level 6(woo?) I love paladins more than priests so far.Rocking spells and nice dmg!

Wish the servers weren't so laggah though :S
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#62 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:44 AM

You're ahead of me, I haven't been able to log on today. I was hoping to make an undead warlock, suppose I must be patient.
Öö`°´Ångél`°´öÖ

#63 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:57 PM

I want to try out some undead characters just to see how they act and stuff. (Or maybe someone could tell me?)

I already have a good feel of how most races act and speak save Taurens and Undead.

...Too bad I'm having too much fun with my Paladin. XD
Posted Image

#64 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

...Too bad I'm having too much fun with my Paladin. XD

lol I know what ya mean.. my level 16 mage and 5 warrior are being ignored now :P I dunno what talents to put up on my mage though.. I have two points unspent. I'm thinking about putting them in the one that reduces risk of holy light being disrupted, coz it's REALLY annoying when that happens lol

#65 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:48 PM

What professions are everyone using?

I took up Herbalism and Alchemy just for the buff potions. My other friend (Rogue) took up skinning and leatherworking and my other friend (priest) took up Tailoring.
Posted Image

#66 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:36 PM

Well my pally is level 8 now, but im having 2nd thoughts.

I love paladins but I don't like dwarves or humans :S

I would love it if NE could be a pally.

Night Elf and Undead are so far my fav races lol.Im trying out everything before retails out.I love NE Druids too.

Im gonna try out Tauren Shaman soon I think lol.

#67 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:21 AM

My Tauren Shaman does Skinning and Leatherworking, nice considering I can only wear leather till level 40 or 50 or something.

I started an Undead Warlock but haven't gotten anywhere with her yet.
Öö`°´Ångél`°´öÖ

#68 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:13 AM

I missed beta, Imma pre-order and get game on the 23rd.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#69 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:37 AM

I made an Undead Mage today.Level 6.I like her best I think lol.

(Yes her.Shes alot easier to look at if ya get my drift.)

#70 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:33 AM

Out of those in beta...Are you still planning to get the game? Some people seem to not be impressed (which I don't understand personally) so I was just wondering how many plan to purchase the game? Or would if you had the finances anyways...
Öö`°´Ångél`°´öÖ

#71 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:30 AM

Well, what some people seem to be forgetting is that this is still a beta... the lag is likely to go in retail version, and I expect there will be a few patches coming out, which will fix some bugs, and balance the game out a bit more.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get it or not. I want to, but if I do I can tell my college work is going to go down the drain... I think I may have to wait until summer holidays to get it :/ I'll see how heavy my work load is when it's released in europe, and decide then I think :P

I love paladins but I don't like dwarves or humans :S

I thought you told me it was only dwarves you didn't like? lol, or did you go humans and not like them either? :/

I think i'm going to be going a human paladin in the retail: good, fun class to play; quite powerful; don't need to regen after every 2 or 3 kills like mages do; money is easy enough to get to fund the spells/equip (although I could still do with a bit more ^_^).

#72 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:48 AM

At the moment I've dabbled with a Human Pally, a NE druid and a Gnome Rogue ^_^
My next plan is a Tauren hunter and a Warlock of some kind ^^

At the moment... I keep coming back to the Paladin and the Rogue, although I admit for different reasons.
I keep coming back to the paladin because I like the self sufficience- in that I can explore and whatnot while I wait for the people I'm partying with at the moment to come on... and that I can keep exploring and helping random other people if they don't come on.
I keep coming back to the Rogue because its on another server, one that actually loads for me when I get put in queues in the 150's for server 35 ^^
Plus rogues actually hit things pretty damned hard, and I like throwing daggers at people and things.

The item database bug is pesky though. For a while it was fixed the other day... but then somehow it came back :P

Still... I have to say, I do want to get the game :D

The only thing I hear... is that they might be IP blocking Europeans. If they're going to do that, then I don't want to waste money messing around importing the US version and working out how to pay them for it.

If I buy the European version (in february, according to amazon) the current thought is that it won't let Europeans onto american servers (although there are rumours that later on they will) which would mean that I probably won't get to play with all the people I've met up with and made friends with, which sucks.

On that note... please sign the Unrestricted/Universal Servers Petition XD
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#73 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 02:37 PM

To Alex: Well I haven't tried Humans but I like the Horde much better.Only race on the alliance I like are Night Elves.They have always been my favorite race on the warcraft games =p

To Charon:I signed the Petition :P

You know whats really lame though? The fact that you cant message people who aren't on your alliance.Slightly sucks when Alex is on his dwarf and im on undead crit. I'd like to message him lmao

#74 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:35 PM

hehe, yeah I prefer the horde races.. but paladins are the nuts. Level 14 and I took on three level 13 monsters at once and won ^_^

I don't like the area around stormwind though, too many farms and stuff... I really hope that isn't the starting human area :/

You know whats really lame though? The fact that you cant message people who aren't on your alliance.Slightly sucks when Alex is on his dwarf and im on undead crit. I'd like to message him lmao

lol yeah.. I can understand not allowing horde and alliance to group, but I think that restricting tells is taking things too far.

Charon, by the 'database bug' do ya mean the one that makes it lag out for a few mins when you loot stuff? (this rarely happens though) Or is there another bug? :/

I found a really annoying bug earlier.. when I was attacking some monsters, my Giant Mace kept unequipping itself for no reason; it's durability was at 54/55, and I didn't ask it too. I died because of it :P Although on the pluss side my unarmed skill jumped up from 1 to 15 lol

Edited by Malavon, 15 November 2004 - 06:37 PM.

#75 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:01 PM

To Charon:I signed the Petition  :P

Yey ^^

You know whats really lame though? The fact that you cant message people who aren't on your alliance

Although there is a language option which is set to common...
A lot of people are asking for languages to be considered so that talking to the 'enemy' (if only for taunting purposes ^_^) is possible. There's a petition for that somewhere too... not sure I can find it, but I know I signed it ^^

I don't like the area around stormwind though, too many farms and stuff... I really hope that isn't the starting human area :/

Then I'm sorry to tell you that the area around Stormwind (Northshire Valley and the Elwynn Forest) is indeed the human starting area.

Yes, the database bug IS the one that makes it lag out when you loot an item you dont already have in your inventory, or when you try to craft a new item, or when you try to finish or accept a quest which requires a new item.

It's strange though... because they say its a database bug linked to items... and yet it seems to be based on the server usage instead.
In the morning when its quite quiet and most of the Americans are asleap there's no sign of it... and late at night when all the Americans are awake its back full force.

It also depends on the server. The 'Low' servers that aren't as full don't tend to get it... server 34 also seems to not get it.
For you it may not be common, but in server 35 I get that bug almost constantly when I play at night :D

With the loss of weapon- are you sure you weren't fighting a creature capable of disarming you? Because some of them are capable of doing that ^^

Edited by Charon, 15 November 2004 - 09:08 PM.

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." --Rudyard Kipling

#76 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:44 PM

And the ones that can do that are SUPER annoying. >_<

...At least I'm improving in unarmed combat?

Aww, it's not so bad. XD Once you get into Westfall and things, the farms start looking all barren and desolate and are swarming with Goblin Harvesters which are giant robots that can give you the status ailment "Tetanus". :P
Posted Image

#77 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:57 PM

Be nice if Test Server 37 went back up >.<

#78 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:45 AM

K well I won't be playing anymore.I just got banned.They said for language....

Slightly gay!!.....they have filters ffs.its not like i bypassed them :|.

well now I know when I buy wow to not cuss period lol

Edited by Exor, 16 November 2004 - 12:46 AM.

#79 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:53 AM

They really banned you? What the heck did you say? ^^;;

All I know... is that the servers have been terrible thus far today. I haven't been able to log into server 35 all day so Eirinoforos is stuck at level 12, and I kept getting booted and rolled back on server 34. Plus all the people joining the "Low" servers bought that damned looting bug into server 34 :P
I got my rogue to level 7 four times though. I think thats an impressive feat but... *sigh*

But... eh... yeah. What the heck did you say?

#80 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:14 AM

Dunno why I was banned :\. but its for 3 days thats all I know.Beta will be over lmfao

#81 Someone

Someone
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:20 AM

The servers sucked today. I kept getting booted...I was on my way through Durotar and all the sudden it froze, logged out, and I was back at the Crossroads with the quests I had done undone...yet I still had the rewards for completing them...Then I died and it didn't give me a marker to find my body but I shrugged it off cause I knew where I died. Get there - no body. Bah!
Öö`°´Ångél`°´öÖ

#82 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:56 PM

And the ones that can do that are SUPER annoying. >_<

Aww, it's not so bad. XD Once you get into Westfall and things, the farms start looking all barren and desolate and are swarming with Goblin Harvesters which are giant robots that can give you the status ailment "Tetanus". ^_^

lol, I have done :P So far i've got a level 16 troll mage and a level 15 dwarf paladin (wanted to explore both alliance and horde areas), and the horde are much better.. but unfortunately paladins are easily the best class out there :/

WHat i've discovered...

troll area sucks
dwarf area rules
dwarf sucks
human rules
human area sucks
horde rules.
alliance sucks.
paladin rules, but can't be horde.

I'm having some major problems here lol. don't get me wrong, I love the game and will probably buy it.. but the restrictions are kinda irritating.

I'm suprised I haven't been banned too... I didn't realize that me using my dwarf paladin to kill an invading undead rogue, and then stripping and dancing on his corpse was breaking a rule :/ woopsy

rofl, yeah.

#83 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:57 PM

I am probably going to get it when it comes out on retail, other than that, im at 30% on the beta, after numerous nights attempting to download.

it sucks downloading at 6 kb/sec

:P
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#84 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:15 PM

WHat i've discovered...

troll area sucks
dwarf area rules
dwarf sucks
human rules
human area sucks
horde rules.
alliance sucks.
paladin rules, but can't be horde.

If you hate the human area that much, its quite possible to go and level in the dwarf/gnome area instead.
It's relatively easy for a level 1 to get to stormwind. Once you're there, take the free tram to Ironforge, and when you emerge into Dun Morogh keep to the paths. Wander around on the paths (I think you have to head south... but stay on the paths or things will attack you ^^) and you'll end up by that cave you have to go through to deliver supplies from Coldridge to (Ironforge?)as a dwarf/gnome... you'll just be going through them backwards ^^

Run through it... voila, welcome to Coldridge Valley, the dwarf and gnome starting area for low level training. It normally takes a quest or so before it starts registering the xp, but after that its plain sailing in the area you like.
You'll just have the "little people" looking at you a little funny ^_^

I took Eirin over there today (albeit not at level 1) instead of wandering around Westfall... and I had fun repetedly defending Dun Morogh/Karanos and the caves with the blueish yeti's that I forgot the name of from the Hoarde today.
Unfortunately it wasn't really the Hoarde, just one poor sod who'd got left behind on a hoarde raid who kept resurrecting as he tried to get "home" ^^
Started to feel a bit cruel after a while, with all of us roaming around looking for him... but he deserved it. He kept killing the quest npcs ^^

I wonder if he's still there... *evil grin*

The "Defense" force went and launched a counterattack through the wetlands, but I haven't heard anything about how that went yet ^^

I think your victory dance sounds more... interesting... than our celebrations though ^^

Edit: Gah, my session expired and I'm halfway through Gol/Bol something-or-the-other quarry where the bonesnappers and skullcrushers are. That will not be the most pleasant of places for me to log on :P

Edited by Charon, 16 November 2004 - 11:28 PM.

#85 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 02:38 PM

k thats gay.I get unbanned at like 6 or so pm tonight and betas ending today lmao.oh well this tuesday is the release ^_~

#86 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:28 PM

Awww. Well, it was fun while it lasted. ^_^

Doubt I'll buy the game since I can't afford the monthly payments. Oh, well! :P
Posted Image

#87 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:15 PM

Aw... I have withdrawal symptoms already :P

I was really enjoying that, it sucks that they're about to shut it down. I was expecting a few more days at least - although I think I made friends by giving some people free silver bars and things so they could test out their highest crafting skills before time ran out. Not like I had any use for them... it was really wierd to me that people were still charging the earth for things when we all knew time was almost up.

And so far for my own goodbye events ... I took a suicide jump through (yes through) one of the towers at the North/South Outposts that I'd reported as a bug before, just to see if they'd fixed it yet... they hadn't ^_^
Then I soloed Ice Beard (Icebeard?) too which was... not great fun actually, and took me about an hour and a half. And wasn't worth it except that I think it was pretty cool that I did. And noone believes me ^^;
Then I got a pet rabbit which I took back to stormwind with me :P
And then I got drunk in a Dwarven bar and started dancing standing on top of things before server shutdown :D

Although I hear the current downtime is only for a few hours, and that it WILL be back up in time for the formal ending of beta but *sigh*

I'm preparing myself for time as a forum troller, bothering the nice american people while I pine after the game ^^ I have someone who is (supposed) to tell me if buying US game + game cards will get them around the billing address problem, because if it does I may well be on my way to find an importer -

After all, I'm a student with a student loan- What else am I meant to spend it on :P

I personally doubt it will work however... so... for those who cannot afford the game I offer the following solution:

Come play the english open beta with me :angry:
I hear that we'll be getting information on that in the next two weeks... and as Europeans were let in on the American beta, I don't see how they'll stop the reverse XD

#88 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:18 PM

Come play the english open beta with me :P
I hear that we'll be getting information on that in the next two weeks... and as Europeans were let in on the American beta, I don't see how they'll stop the reverse XD

I think it's kind of sad that I'm living off the beta-runs of all the popular games. XD
Posted Image

#89 Charon

Charon
  • Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

Noo... it isn't sad, its clever XD
You get to play cool games for free, get somewhat addicted to them, and then be somewhat dissapointed when you know you cant get them.
Erm... the good part in that was the playing and enjoying cool games for free ^_^

On another note- the End of Days on WoW is awesome

(well... if you're in Stormwind ^^)
My eastern server got shut down a half hour ago, but everyone was really into it, all banding together to fight off the Infernals, Felhounds, Guardian Felhounds, (Some other type of Felhound), DeadLords and DreadLords invading Stormwind... and it was amazing. Some defended the King, some the Church, some the main gates...
The invaders were in the level ??s, we reckon 99 or 100 but thats just a guess ^^ But with the masses of people... a fair number of them fell. More came but... some fell.
Not that I deserved it with my poor fighting skills, but I actually killed a one of Guardian Felhounds after hitting it by fluke for 1 damage XD

Mind you, I logged onto western 34 and I was in the Ironforge area and it ... wasn't so good.
The Dead/Dreads and an Infernal had all stopped at Ironforge gates, and no one was really fighting them off or anything - It really spoilt the mood that server 35 had built up so well :P
And unlike the ones in stormwind, the demony things dont progress into the city itself, at least not at the moment.

There was, thankfully, some spirit in Stormwind- but it seems that their king died. He resurrected, as do all shiny green npcs given time, but that the king died was still quite strange... when you consider that in Ironforge the things never truly entered the city/

I hear on one of the Eastern PvP servers Orgrimmar got hit by a meteor that turned into an elemental too, and rumour said that in one of the others a Forsaken city got attacked by a dragon or something ^^

I havent yet found anyone to tell me what events are happening in Darnassus or ThunderBluff or any other important places though.

It sucks though. While the End Games for Eastern and Mountain continue, my main server, 35 on Eastern has gone down for 1-2 hours maintenance. I really cant stick the attitude on Western 34 at the moment... but I really doubt I can wait up that long :*(

I dont wanna miss the true end of days.
Squee if you log on and Eirins not around, can you screenshot for me if you see anything interesting? ^^

Edited by Charon, 19 November 2004 - 01:59 AM.

#90 Matt

Matt
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:33 AM

I am soo getting this game, it's unfortunate they will be making us localize. Because I would love to be able to make one character on my local server, one on a server were friends play etc.
"Faith; noun. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel." --- Ambrose Bierce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users