Photo

Genre Of Music?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: Favourite Genre of Music?

Favourite Genre of Music?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Iron_Maiden

Iron_Maiden
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:00 AM

ringringringringringring Banana Phone! ringringringringringring Banana Phone! I've got this feeling It's so appealing! For us to get together and sing! SING! ringringringringringring Banana Phone! dingdongdingdongdingdongding Banana Phone! It grows in bunches I've got my hunches It's the best! Beat the rest! Cellular, modular, interactivodular! ringringringringringring Banana Phone! pingpongpingpongpingpongping Banana Phone!.

lol still from my clan memo i sent out... :)
Sorry, no images in profiles - Crane

Inappropriate Avatar - Crane

#62 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 06:33 AM

Noone who listen to roots reggae or dub? Anyone? Hello..?

I listen to ska. Does that count? Skatallites anyone?
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#63 Insomnia

Insomnia
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:56 AM

Noone who listen to roots reggae or dub? Anyone? Hello..?

I listen to ska. Does that count? Skatallites anyone?

Many times better than what other people seem to listen to, but I never really listen to ska. At least it's reggae though. :)
{Epiphany}
{Unforsaken}

#64 Ryuku

Ryuku

Ryuku Ingame, Best 3v3er ever

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:05 AM

Rap sucks, I can't beleive anyone voted for it. :)

#65 Epic

Epic
  • Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

I listen to all kinds of music, bob marley to anti-flag ... sublime to rage against the machine BUT for the past while i'm usually listening to 80% rap

#66 Horny

Horny
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:23 PM

I listen to rock and punk... but since i had to chose one i chose rock... *giggle* :) it's the best in my opinion
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

#67 Ryuku

Ryuku

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

/t Thrice Anyone tell you Thrice is considered emo?

#68 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:47 PM

Why is there no other option...

Rich, you still remain a tard even now...
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#69 Dante

Dante
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:00 PM

Rap is best because if u dont like it theyll shoot you and your mom!!!Be-yatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#70 Iron_Maiden

Iron_Maiden
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:23 PM

Rap is best because if u dont like it theyll shoot you and your mom!!!Be-yatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol taken from http://www.angelfire.com/nv/rapsucks1/

Rap is that distinct horrible music that you constantly hear at your highschool, or on the street if you live in a city, or on the radio, or on TV. It can be identifyed by the "drum" beat that continually loops over and over. Often, listeners of rap identify the quality of a rap "song" by how "phat" its beat is, or something like that.
Another major characteristic of rap, is the stupid ass f**king nutsty lyrics that a bunch of "bad ass muthas" try to sing over the equally stupid ass f**king nutsty drum machine and synthesizers. These lyrics are basically always about how they just busted a phat cap in their homeez azzes. Or about how "life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody f**king gives a nuts how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the f*ck up.

Sums it up in one :) but everyone has there own likes and dislikes :)

Edited by Iron_Maiden, 16 June 2004 - 11:25 PM.

Sorry, no images in profiles - Crane

Inappropriate Avatar - Crane

#71 Thrice

Thrice
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:31 PM

/t Thrice Anyone tell you Thrice is considered emo?

And did you read what i posted? There is no genre for thrice, it changes everyday, not all their lyrics are emotional, and what is, isn't whiney crap, its more hardcore than anything.

#72 Flux

Flux
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

There is a lot of great hip hop out there. In the underground scene, rappers shy away from "bling" and "b*tches" and focus more on clever beats and strong wordplay. Heads like Del, Aesop Rock, Cannibal Ox, The Streets et al are inventive and light years ahead of the rappers coming off the Jay-Z generation.
A good post is like a miniskirt: short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

#73 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

This poll is pathetic.

There is no 'blues' option.
There is no 'classical' option.
There is no 'jazz' option.
There are no 'spiritual' or 'folk' options.

I like all these better than all the options there, except perhaps 'rock in general'.

#74 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:20 AM

Oh yes, and about rap:

Rap should not be in this pathetic poll, for the simple reason that it is not a genre of music.

In fact, it ISN'T music.

Rap is so horrible and stupid is should be illegal in all countries.

#75 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:31 AM

If I were homo, I'd so do Havanor. The Streetz are fuggign awesome.

I'm not trying to pull you, even though I would like to, I think you are really fit, your fit, your fit, but don't you know it!

*grooves*

Hold it down boy, your heads getting blurred, I know you can't stop, thinkin of her, by all means you can vibe with this girl, but just don't mug yourself, that's all, don't mug yourself.

Anyone got any of The Streets albums? I wanna know if their worth buying.

Edit: Hah, screw it, I just bought both on amazon.com cus they came together cheap.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#76 Insomnia

Insomnia
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:33 AM

Saying that good rap isn't a genre of music is called insulting yourself and questioning your right of speech basically. I can take that people don't like, but when they say it's not music I can barely stop laughing.

Define music?

*grinding electric guitarrs*?

I'd say it's more about rythm and feelings than anything else.

But of course, nowdays no good rap is produced anymore (at least not mainstream, I don't know of very much american underground), but that has nothing to do with rap and it's greatness. Notice how I said "good rap" up there ^-
{Epiphany}
{Unforsaken}

#77 Flux

Flux
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:20 AM

If you like The Streets for Mike Skinners words try downloading the song "No Regrets" by Aesop Rock, which is probably the States' best example of obtuse storytelling in a hip hop song.

If you like him for his British accent check out Dizee Rascal who actually tours with him this year. (Best song to sample would be "Fix Up, Look Sharp")

As for the haters:

It's pretty dumb to make general assumptions about an entire genre of rap based on a few songs you've heard on mainstream radio. It's like me bashing punk based on hearing only Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne while flipping through MTV: a crappy, watered-down representation of what the genre has to offer.

As long as a song has strong writing, good chord/note progression and a strong sense of energy I usually dont give a damn what genre it is. Good music is good music is good music.
A good post is like a miniskirt: short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject.

#78 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

If I were homo, I'd so do Havanor. The Streetz are fuggign awesome.

I'm not trying to pull you, even though I would like to, I think you are really fit, your fit, your fit, but don't you know it!

Omg, I heard that song on Friday night with Jonathon Ross (I think), man it was horribly bad.

#79 Mec

Mec
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

Come on, by saying that rap is music, youre saying that is you took a recording of a drum beat that repeats and put it to the presidential state of the union adress if music. It's not.

#80 Insomnia

Insomnia
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:35 PM

Come on, by saying that rap is music, youre saying that is you took a recording of a drum beat that repeats and put it to the presidential state of the union adress if music. It's not.

Oh please, grandma, try to not judge different styles of music, you're just making yourself look stupid. I'm sorry, but that wasn't even funny. Good rap is so much about rythm, feeling and lyrics.
{Epiphany}
{Unforsaken}

#81 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

...recording of a drum beat that repeats...

*coughWhiteStripescough*

Anyways, I thought I'd say something about rap music. Some of that mainstream stuff is...well...it's really bad. ^^;

However, Linkin Park (one of my favourite bands at the moment) has a lot rapping lyrics. Sometimes, I hear it and I forget that it's rapping entirely; it's just music.

Rapping has this ability to portray some emotions really well (in Linkin Park's case, frustration and anger). Of course, I don't go out, hunting for rap-songs so I can't really make these kind of generalizations. ^^;

I'm sure there's a lot of songs out there that aren't just about anger that happen to have rap in them. ^^
Posted Image

#82 Stotic

Stotic
  • Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:17 PM

I wish there were more people to talk to about my music lol. The closest person I have is Scream for god sakes! /cries a river
We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.

#83 Insomnia

Insomnia
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

Linkin Park ain't rap/hip hop ...
{Epiphany}
{Unforsaken}

#84 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:37 PM

About half of Linkin Park's songs have rapping in them.
Posted Image

#85 Xian

Xian
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:35 PM

Yeh 1 of their 2 vocalists is basically a rapper, the other guy handles the heavy stuff. (Or so their video's have lead my to believe.)
Celerity // Wodan in game.

#86 Thrice

Thrice
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:02 AM

Linkin Park might aswell be done with a synthesizer, terrible music, no offence meant, just opinion

Edit: A lot of it is Synthesizer :|

Edited by Thrice, 19 June 2004 - 12:03 AM.

#87 Ryuku

Ryuku

• Members
  • 2003 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

lol taken from http://www.angelfire.com/nv/rapsucks1/

Rap is that distinct horrible music that you constantly hear at your highschool, or on the street if you live in a city, or on the radio, or on TV. It can be identifyed by the "drum" beat that continually loops over and over. Often, listeners of rap identify the quality of a rap "song" by how "phat" its beat is, or something like that.
Another major characteristic of rap, is the stupid ass f**king nutsty lyrics that a bunch of "bad ass muthas" try to sing over the equally stupid ass f**king nutsty drum machine and synthesizers. These lyrics are basically always about how they just busted a phat cap in their homeez azzes. Or about how "life is hard in the ghetto". Nobody f**king gives a nuts how life is in the ghetto, last time I was in the ghetto my wallet got stolen, so shut the f*ck up.

Sums it up in one :) but everyone has there own likes and dislikes :)

Very well said, I lived in the ghetto for my first 4 years of life, it sucked.

#88 Insomnia

Insomnia
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:51 AM

Linkin Park ain't rap music (hip hop)......
{Epiphany}
{Unforsaken}

#89 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

I never said it was! >_<

I said that Linkin Park had rapping in it. >_<

Linkin Park might aswell be done with a synthesizer, terrible music, no offence meant, just opinion

A lot of my friends don't like Linkin Park either. ^^;;
Posted Image

#90 Kalypso

Kalypso
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:12 AM

I wish there were more people to talk to about my music lol. The closest person I have is Scream for god sakes! /cries a river

I'm insulted :)

no more xjenx for you!
"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed.
"Maybe they're supposed to run wild until they find someone just as wild to run with."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users