Photo

A Curious Choice

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: The future of Nightmist development, which would you prefer?

The future of Nightmist development, which would you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

If you haven't played one alt before, you really don't know how much better it is.
If you build it, they will come.

#62 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

1 alt games incorporate more cooperation to train. At low levels, you can train by yourself. However, when you get higher, the monsters are too tough to take on solo, so you get together with a group of your friends.

Party EXP bonus Pandilex/JLH?

And as a suggestion for reserving names...you have to own the current character on Nightmist to have it reserved for NM2.
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#63 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:29 PM

And as a suggestion for reserving names...you have to own the current character on Nightmist to have it reserved for NM2.

well yes, and it would have to be above a certain level (i've not decided yet)
and you'd only get like a week or 2 to claim them.
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#64 Sneaky

Sneaky
  • Members
  • 2372 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

I know it has been discussed before, but now you're being blatently open about the game being 1-alt. Have you decided on a cost per character per year?
Chuck Norris wears Jack Bauer pajamas.

deimos the noob said no

#65 Despair

Despair
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:45 PM

I see little point in this poll because no matter what admin will do as they please anyway. For the sake of voting, I chose option 2 ...
If I were the rain... that binds together the Earth and the Sky, whom in all eternity will never mingle... would I be able to bind two hearts together?

#66 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

I see little point in this poll because no matter what admin will do as they please anyway. For the sake of voting, I chose option 2 ...

Sheesh, I'm sure the admins will want to players choice, becuase afterall, without the players to pay for NM2, who would play it?
«¤Mêad¤»*

#67 Shaginator

Shaginator

Criff

• Members
  • 1668 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:36 PM

I played a game a long time ago called Darkness Falls. Only one alt logged on at a time, and only 3 total Characters allowed. It was a very challenging game as far as leveling characters goes and I enjoyed it very much. Instead of the clan system like what is used in nm it was a guild system...so say if you were a mage you had to join a mage guild, but you had a choice of a few different ones. If NM two is anything like that I will enjoy it for sure. There was none of the trading selling characters garbage, you rolled it you played it. It eventually went to a pay game called Darkness Falls The Crusade and has done very well since then as far as I know, although I have not played it in ages.

Edited by Shaginator, 13 June 2005 - 03:44 PM.

Overthrow/Redemption - 1a

Existance - Main

#68 Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

I'll play NM2 if there is no roller.
Stadic Ingame...

#69 <3!

<3!
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

A roller in the game would be appreciated just to keep Sean away ^_^
"Posting has just become a battle of superior priveleges." ~ <3!

#70 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

Haha, agreed.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#71 Sparks

Sparks
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

My god dont you people understand its gona turn out exactly like revelation

#72 »Ðrøwñëd Iñ Çømplìçàtìøñ«

»Ðrøwñëd Iñ Çømplìçàtìøñ«
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:15 PM

noo its not.. Nightmist Beats Revelation by lots.. i think pandi and jlh are a bit more skilled then the revelation folks. ^_^

#73 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

Revelation is a VERY good game, I like it alot more than NM, except none of my friends play it.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#74 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

when it comes to good ideas pandilex has lots of them. i wouldn't be afraid of nm2 coming out like any other game that's out there. however i would be afraid of nm2 coming out like so many other undersupported mmo initiatives spearheaded by a few guys babysitting a chronically whiny playerbase. yes harvest moon online, i'm talking to you.

so once again, vote 3, and give these two guys room.
Evil report carries further than any applause

#75 Sparks

Sparks
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:03 AM

pfft watch when nm2 opens up both games are gona fall apart nm 2 from lack of players and nm 1 from lack of staff

#76 tool

tool
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:36 AM

If you haven't played one alt before, you really don't know how much better it  is.

I myself like running on one alt. maybe it's because mutiple alts are a bit much for me to handle, but even when i am on two alts, I feel like I am using an unfair advantage. Now I know lots of ppl run around with mutiple alts, and that's fine if they wish to play that way. I would like to see how they would be able to handle themselves if the palying field was even for everyone.

NM2 sounds great, but like everyone wants to know, what timeframe are we looking at for option one, two, and three. Maybe if we had that, we could make a more informed decision. It doesn't have to be written in stone, because we all know setbacks occure.

I am going off topic for a moment here. Staff, forgive the rudeness.

manda spends more time on here than anyone else (devochtickasdausfda)

manda 4 staff tbh seeing as she has no life

Isn't it about time for you to suck on Kev's **** again you faggy little *******? You run your mouth constently and it's starting to **** me off. Why don't you shut the frig up and just die?

That was a major insult to Manda, but even so try to keep the retaliation clean. - Crane

Edited by Crane, 14 June 2005 - 06:08 PM.

#77 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

Lol. ^^
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#78 Momba

Momba
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

Isn't it about time for you to suck on Kev's **** again you faggy little *******? You run your mouth constently and it's starting to **** me off. Why don't you shut the frig up and just die?

Your kinda sexy when your angry. I felt a little tingle down under when I read that.

page me /wink

Edited by Crane, 14 June 2005 - 06:08 PM.

My inner child is a mean little f*ucker

#79 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:28 PM

LOL!
«¤Mêad¤»*

#80 Amp

Amp
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

Ok check this im just gonna be breif seeing how ive played this game for 4 years lol..i really dont think many people will pay to play nm2...tbh..i think nm1 should be made more around old nm and put a mixture of the 2..Make some things like old nm..and some things like it is now.. i love the 1 alt idea i think that should be added as well..i dont see why you dont just massivly improve Nm1 and leave it free..because im just gonna let ya know now..you are most likely going to be disappointed at all the work you guys put into nm2 when not many people will pay to play..i think all these ideas such as 1 alt on at a time..and etc. should just be to improve nm1 because honestly if people play nm like it is now..they will be like the most of us and say pffttt...im not payin to play somethin like this..ya gota beef it up make nm1 a goooood impression if your wanting people to p2p for nm2 lol.

Edited by Amp, 14 June 2005 - 06:01 PM.

#81 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

Ok check this im just gonna be breif seeing how ive played this game for 4 years lol..i really dont think many people will pay to play nm2...tbh..i think nm1 should be made more around old nm and put a mixture of the 2..Make some things like old nm..and some things like it is now.. i love the 1 alt idea i think that should be added as well..i dont see why you dont just massivly improve Nm1 and leave it free..because im just gonna let ya know now..you are most likely going to be disappointed at all the work you guys put into nm2 when not many people will pay to play..i think all these ideas such as 1 alt on at a time..and etc. should just be to improve nm1 because honestly if people play nm like it is now..they will be like the most of us and say pffttt...im not payin to play somethin like this..ya gota beef it up make nm1 a goooood impression if your wanting people to p2p for nm2 lol.

no one will pay for "what's in the box" because they don't know what it is. duh. however, we do know nightmist would be more fully featured and offer a deeper range in character optimization, and other things that can not be done in nm now.

that's why people would pay for it.

in my opinion there's no way for these dramatic improvements to be done in nm. also, jlh and pan have set the rules for themselves in a way that they won't, and have said so many times. you can't change the way the game is played after 4 years and expect it to be just peachy to new players that everyone before them had it easy. on the other hand, despite it being still beta, jlh has a committment to not resetting the game. so either way, you'd end up with something no one will be happy about. either reset it and improve it (lose players), or unbalance the game for progress (deters new players). viola! that's retarded.

now really, i'd pay to play a game that's well concieved and full of stuff that nightmist will never get. too bad for those kids who can't afford 10 bucks a month, or a stamp, or a bank account, or a debit card, or a credit card, or parents that do that stuff, or any financial clue. besides, the amount of responsibility it takes to allocate five dollars of disposable income and send it somewhere would probably be a better filter for morons than the math problems in the roller.

but, whatever.

Edited by EvilDognapot, 14 June 2005 - 07:13 PM.

#82 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

Unless there is something extremely special in nightmist 2, that will encourage people to pay for the game itself then I don't believe that people will stay faithful. At the moment I believe very few people are active because they enjoy the game itself - let's face it, this version has hit an all time low and keeps on going lower.

In my opinion it's the constant showing off to 'friends', the ability to pk constantly without loss, and the array of characters people have worked for is what the majority play this game for - when nightmist 2 comes out the majority will lose interest in the game, as they can no longer show off their 'power' to their 'friends' and will simply find another game to play for free or just quit and never be seen again.

A few people may decide to play, but if your looking to cover the cost of the game servers then I believe you'll be in for an unpleasent time discovering you still can't afford to run anything, and have lost most of the playerbase.

And let's face it, there is no evidence at all to suggest that you (JLH and Pandilex) can actually finish a major project after nightmist 1 - opal spheres, attribute points, nightmist mac version? (lol) and a few more things that have been promised and then left hanging - whats to say it won't go down the same road.

So if I had to vote, i'd say prove to the playerbase that you care enough to sort this version out before you work on something else that will ultimately probably lead to just another problem.
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#83 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Unless there is something extremely special in nightmist 2, that will encourage people to pay for the game itself then I don't believe that people will stay faithful. At the moment I believe very few people are active because they enjoy the game itself - let's face it, this version has hit an all time low and keeps on going lower.

In my opinion it's the constant showing off to 'friends', the ability to pk constantly without loss, and the array of characters people have worked for is what the majority play this game for - when nightmist 2 comes out the majority will lose interest in the game, as they can no longer show off their 'power' to their 'friends' and will simply find another game to play for free or just quit and never be seen again.

A few people may decide to play, but if your looking to cover the cost of the game servers then I believe you'll be in for an unpleasent time discovering you still can't afford to run anything, and have lost most of the playerbase.

And let's face it, there is no evidence at all to suggest that you (JLH and Pandilex) can actually finish a major project after nightmist 1 - opal spheres, attribute points, nightmist mac version? (lol) and a few more things that have been promised and then left hanging - whats to say it won't go down the same road.

So if I had to vote, i'd say prove to the playerbase that you care enough to sort this version out before you work on something else that will ultimately probably lead to just another problem.

so you're saying that maintaining the status quo is what nightmist is all about? people work hard to show off, and over time they work harder to show off the same amount. i don't see how presenting new challenges will deter players from rising to them. following your logic, new additions to nm would be scorned because they might interfere with one's ability to show off.

#84 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

lol I love your habbit of reading too deeply into my posts :P

All i'm saying is that when money becomes involved in playing the game, i'm sure the majority (who use the game to show off to their friends in my experience) will go off somewhere else where they can get the exact same thing for free ^_^
Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#85 combusta

combusta
  • Members
  • 1185 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:16 PM

on what sparks said, i think, ppl think that NM2 will just be a better version of NM1 but u people dont understand what makes NM1 such a good game, the very essence of it will be taken away, i mean 1 alt, thats NOTHING like many alts, the different maps, items, hell the very reason why u play wil be taken away, so i dont think its something to look forward 2 i think its just somehting that will ruin NM1

ah the intelligence of combusta, the envy of all nightmist players...

o shut up tony

#86 Simulation

Simulation
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

NM1 will stay the same, and noone is making YOU play NM2, some of us like the idea of these big changes in the game. What reason do I play for? None of those that you listed. I don't play for the same reasons you do, I gaurentee it.

BTW - NM1 has been ruined for awhile now.
«¤Mêad¤»*

#87 Kalypso

Kalypso
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:38 PM

Ste - The only reason I think NM2 will ever happen is because JLH is in charge of it, not Pandilex.

Opal Spheres was Pandilex.
Attribute Points was Pandilex. (JLH was just going to program it, pandilex had to work out the details)

NM2 will happen, I'm sure of it.
"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed.
"Maybe they're supposed to run wild until they find someone just as wild to run with."

#88 EvilDognapot

EvilDognapot
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:12 AM

lol I love your habbit of reading too deeply into my posts :P

All i'm saying is that when money becomes involved in playing the game, i'm sure the majority (who use the game to show off to their friends in my experience) will go off somewhere else where they can get the exact same thing for free ^_^

i just don't see how maintaining things as they are will lead to any improvement. you're right a lot of people play the game because it's free, but i don't see how that should deter progress. that's mainly because nightmist charges nothing to run a limited game for a lot of people, and nm2 would charge something to run a more expansive game for an initially smaller playerbase. i see less being more here.

maybe it's just me, but i don't see any reasoning behind appeasing a bunch of free-loading show-offs. how much would it take to convince someone who solely plays to indulge thier cheapness and self-involved nature to pay for any game? just about every free game can give someone the chance to show-off thier accomplishments. nightmist can't win there and still charge money. which is why i said earlier that it would be a nice filter for a community.

however, nightmist does have something that other developing games don't. it already has a playerbase that's willing to try it, and willing to recruit subscribers if it's good. now, really i don't see the virtues of not revising nightmist. yeah, it's cool we don't have to pay for it now, but seriously, any positive number is greater than zero (which is what's going on now), and we get a better game. yeah it won't pay for everything, but shows that the game is worth paying for. i don't think we would pay this game now, but i don't think it's free now because jlh just hasn't gotten around to coding things. they'll know when it's worth paying for, if not everyone wants to pay for it, fine. not everyone plays with thier pocket-book.

#89 Stigmata

Stigmata
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:00 AM

Don't get me wrong I think Nightmist 2 will be great if it gets done, I was simply pointing out that a vast amount of players may not be faithful to the game when money is involved. Now as you said this would probably be a good thing, but I was trying to point out that perhaps it would be a better idea to work on this version more first, as to hopefully encourage more people to stick with it (so ultimately JLH will receive more cash)

There are no set time limits for when Nm2 is expected so it could be over a year from now, so to abandon this game now and 'give JLH and Pandilex some room' could possibly lead to players getting bored with this version, leaving, admin noticing the playerbase reducing and then being less inclinded to continue on Nm2.

I understand that JLH is in charge of this, and so he should be, as Pandilex is useless, but I can't help but worry about what could happen if players are left hanging around waiting for NM2 for too long.

So if i could make up a new option on the poll - i'd vote for :-

Work on this version until release of NM2 - doesn't have to be anything major (code wise) but little additions like extra classes/races/spells/skills/weapons/monsters/events/areas would keep the interest of the playerbase while allowing you to continue to work on NM2.

I mean little things like a new area (which requires little to no work from admin) would keep the playerbase occupied and happy for weeks, giving you plenty of breathing room to work on nm2. I really don't know why it's taken you so long to get things like this rolling again (saying that because I believe staff are allowed to make areas again).

Edited by Stigmata, 15 June 2005 - 01:06 AM.

Ste - Pengant - Stigmata

#90 Amp

Amp
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

Well evildognapot if you are wanting to pay for the game..feel free we are just stating the fact that you will most likely be alone..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users