The Worm Must Go!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

We take ideas from many sources... players, each other, our own imaginations, other games, even completely unrelated resources. One of the first things we learn as staff is that we cannot please everybody, and in some situations we have to risk upsetting a good portion of the playerbase for a long-term benefit, or just as an experiment in something new and untested. If we were your servants, I can guarantee that the game will quickly fall apart.

We do listen to player suggestions but they rarely can be implemented verbatim, perhaps due to a technical limitation or a potential source of unbalancing, but I can promise that I will continue listening to what people say and making my best judgement based on all information I receive.

#32 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Yes i understand what you are saying, and that IS serving the playerbase. I was just stating that attitudes and ideas like that are why this game has declined. You need to understand that we know you cannot please everyone, however staff are in a manner "servants" of the playerbase. Just as public officials are called public servants, You were hired to shape and guide the direction of the game in a way that does promote growth, and a better game experience. Without US you cannot accomplish this task.
Prophet 1a #1 pande pwning clan!

#33 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

We take ideas from many sources... players, each other, our own imaginations, other games, even completely unrelated resources. One of the first things we learn as staff is that we cannot please everybody, and in some situations we have to risk upsetting a good portion of the playerbase for a long-term benefit, or just as an experiment in something new and untested. If we were your servants, I can guarantee that the game will quickly fall apart.

We do listen to player suggestions but they rarely can be implemented verbatim, perhaps due to a technical limitation or a potential source of unbalancing, but I can promise that I will continue listening to what people say and making my best judgement based on all information I receive.

IF staff acted as servants of the playerbase (taking into account what is best for them) then this game would not have fallen apart as it has. Are staff here to help the players have a better experience? Make the game better? Balance? IF you say yes to these things then you are SERVING us. Not in the manner of an obedient slave, because that would cause the fall of nightmist in general. All staff need to heed this, i see some with ego's that do not allow them staff properly, they take the position for themselves not realizing they are here to support the players, and the direction things are going there are not going to be many left.

#34 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

IF staff acted as servants of the playerbase (taking into account what is best for them) then this game would not have fallen apart as it has. Are staff here to help the players have a better experience? Make the game better? Balance? IF you say yes to these things then you are SERVING us. Not in the manner of an obedient slave, because that would cause the fall of nightmist in general. All staff need to heed this, i see some with ego's that do not allow them staff properly, they take the position for themselves not realizing they are here to support the players, and the direction things are going there are not going to be many left.

That seems kind of off the wall to me.
Players want better items, better skills, more bosses, quests, moshes, and everything made easier at all times---but only for the class they use on 1-Alt and only for their style of playing on Main. Players do not push for overall systems and balance---they push their point of view.
In my opinion- as a whole and over long time spans, the playerbase provides decent to good input, but the random polls and flare of the moment arguements are rarely in the best interest of the game.

Those hot-topic desires are not sustainable.
Oddly enough, Nightmist seems to be pretty sustainable as it is currently, though a bit heavy on gold on Multi and in need of more players on 1-Alt.
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#35 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

I definitely see your point Gaddy, but i will say 1a is not in need of more quests/items/bosses, what needs to happen is characters on 1 alt need to be as powerful as they are hard to train. Most people get discouraged when they train and train and find out the whole time they could have just had a thief and dominated everyone for 1/4 of the effort it took them to level their paladin or mage or any other "weaker" class. I do understand that some classes have the advantage over others IE.. druids vs. berserkers. This in my opinion is fine, but to have a class that is the best pvm class on 1a also be the best pvp class is rediculous. People cry over class diversity when there are no real benefits to training different classes on 1a. Until this is fixed there should be no other projects for nightmist.

#36 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, zerks totally own druids.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#37 Jumpsteady

Jumpsteady
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

I think the worm/zombie monster is a great idea. A geat idea for a halloween quest or even place this in the cemetery. But not in the middle of where people travel. It should be in an area that makes sense. An area people can avoid or go to. Or even place in the mids. Or even create its own area.

But then again it is how alot of people acted when they put ktps in front of some of the most important towns causing others to get pked and it is just another obsticle to dodge.

But a few things I wanna know since i was too lazy to sit and read 2 pages of complaining.

Does it heal? Is it more like a boss? How often does it hit? Do you need a magical weapon to hit it? DOes it drop a current in game item or something new?

I mean if you advertise some things to get people hyped up about it, it wouldnt seem so bad.

At least stig is trying to do something to change the experience as opposed to some staffers from the past who just ran moshes. Not taking a shot at anyone just saying give them a break let them try things...

#38 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

Macro pwn, log off, log crit at next location. There are over 20 locations, zombies are not that frequent and if you do not allow 2 at a time, cake.

Is it still alive?

#39 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

The Bile Worm is still alive, but it wouldn't be as much of a challenge if I gave away too much information... this much I can tell you though:

- It does not self-heal, and consequently it can be killed.
- There is only one.
- It would spoil things if I said what it dropped, but it is worthwhile.

#40 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hm, that sucks, I only died every 15-20 log ons.

I'd hit it as soon as it popped up everytime.

I only did this for about two hours before I gave up though.

#41 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

Every weapon tried?

Every spell tried?

Go figure and stop bitching.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#42 Numb

Numb
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

so.. you guys bltch as soon as something decent comes in.. Good Job.
Funk you

#43 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

Every weapon tried?

Every spell tried?

Go figure and stop bitching.

Quit more. pregnant dog less.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#44 Wanted

Wanted
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Just wonderin, about how much HP does this thing have..will it take as long as killin CG, mayor, etc. an approximate would help :P

#45 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

I understand what is trying to be done with this quest, but I'm not sure that you understand how badly it's failing. You will not, no matter how hard you wish and try, force this player base to work together. There are rivalries that have lasted for years on this game, and you think throwing some over-powered monster out there that will kill anything it crosses is going to just make that go away?

And to be totally honest, it isn't much of a quest anyway, all you did was create 2 monsters, stick them around the game randomly, and said here you go, have fun. What happened to actually having to work at a quest, that actually took some thought? I know how to kill the worm, i just have no desire to lose hundreds of millions of experience that I've worked a very long time to get to do so.

I know I did not come back to play Nightmist again to be forced to do something that I not only don't have to do, but don't want to do. Why don't we just remove clans completely from the game if you want unity, because that's about as close as you will ever get unfortunately.

Anything i say here i mean no ill will towards staff or anyone involved in making/participating in this quest, i just wanted to get that off my chest.
Sublime - 1a.

#46 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

Quests aren't built to be completed by one person, and a bit of extra thought will allow you to both minimise XP loss and damage it with a decent amount of speed.

#47 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Quest's were not ever meant to be completed by 1 person, but they are certainly meant to be completed. As i stated, i already know how to kill the worm, and I don't want to "minimise" exp loss, i don't want to willingly lose any of the exp that I've worked very hard to gain. I see no reason to finish a quest that will either have a slim to no chance to benefit me, or a great chance for me to set myself back weeks of training. Call me selfish if you want, but, you didn't spend over 100 days game time getting my thief to where it is.

Since this quest came out most of the game has avoided the spawn area's like a plague, I've had to help rescue several clannies/friends from dying because also, they don't want to lose the hard earned exp that they worked for.

I'm not sure how much thought went into this before you released it, but, honestly I don't see how you expect this to work.

Again i mean no disrespect, but it seems like everything was just thrown together, it seems more like chaos than a quest.
Sublime - 1a.

#48 Stig

Stig
  • Game Staff
  • 1810 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Why don't you set up a unique quest then, since you obviously know what you're doing.

#49 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Quests have always been a FUN and OPTIONAL thing for the player base to take part in. This is neither. I think if you would have developed a small new area, with a new town that happened to come into the game with a quest attached (being under the siege of the worm). Then it would have been fun. Crippling the server with these death traps on major traveling routes was the flaw.

Had you done it like I mentioned above, you could get double the praise for both adding onto the existing map, and having a fun side quest that people could work at if they wanted to. All this has done is create animosity and hatred for the quest.
Autek in game.

#50 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Lol, bashing the staff that actually has done something other than events and holiday quest.

Wonder why nothing gets done.

Guess what I do? I avoid the worm. GG
Freek ingame.

#51 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

That's what everyone does now, so this thing is doing nothing but cutting the used map down.
Autek in game.

#52 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

If I was him I'd make the worm random on any square in the game except I'd have 5 worms like the real tremors.
Freek ingame.

#53 Sandy

Sandy
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:28 AM

Well, I just read all of this. I just wanted to Say "Wow Shella, You should write books. I would read them." I love to read.
I don't mind the zombies or the worms, i suicided some crits to try and kill one of those things. They are beasty! Maybe the prize is like.. An Almighty Cleric Staff of the Winds. I would So own!!
Anyway *kisses*
-Sandy-

#54 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

Just lol

/t Stig Come staff main, we'd be more than happy to drop this worm of yours.
Jaded ingame.

#55 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:54 AM

Try hopping off the patty cake server and see how you do. :P
Autek in game.

#56 Trendkill

Trendkill
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:57 AM

lol
...Añd Jústícè Fòr All

#57 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

Try hopping off the patty cake server and see how you do. :)

This coming from the guy that can only gate train while hiding with /toggle who. :P
Jaded ingame.

#58 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:09 AM

Greatest druid of all time, and it only took 6 months! :) If the ability to do that isn't patty cake I don't know what is!

What I was getting at is it's ridiculous that you pop on here and talk like you know what's going on at all. All you've ever done is played the easy server. And what the heck do you need more staff for, you've got Scripto! :P

Edited by Autek, 11 April 2011 - 04:10 AM.

Autek in game.

#59 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:16 AM

Why don't you set up a unique quest then, since you obviously know what you're doing.

It's not like you need a college degree to come up with something with a little thought put into it, if you are actually challenging me to put together a unique quest that could absolutely be arranged. Although I'm sure it will never be added anyway, I would be happy to come up with something within a week or 2 and be able to put it together with the best interest of the entire server. All you have going now is a quest that will benefit 1 person greatly, and every other person just gets a ton of exp loss. I stated earlier that i meant no offense by what i say, and I've been nothing but nice to/about you since I've come back, but since you want to be sarcastic, I suppose i can actually show you that you're job isn't hard, it just takes thought.
Sublime - 1a.

#60 tehbirr

tehbirr
  • Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

lol
teh primex... lullaby on main - devour on 1alt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users