2a

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Why? Because you're doing what you enjoy, not what's playing the game effectively.

#32 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

My point was that I do know how to play the game effectively not necessarily that I do - You said I didn't know how.

By that logic though, everyone who doesn't play a thief with a DotW or a cobalt zerk is ineffective. I'd disagree.
Autek in game.

#33 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Hmm, good point. I apologize for saying you didn't know, it really should be obvious to anyone how to be efficient on Nightmist, but not all want to concede to doing the "standard."

Though yes, anyone who doesn't play with a dotw thief or a cobalt zerk is indeed being inefficient (sorry for the mix up between ineffective).
Either making gold slower (because of having to buy pots/mana), or not making exp as fast (wasting time running back for said pots/mana).

Though, possibly bad exp and gold gain compared to other classes will show worthwhile? Wait, thieves/zerks are even the bad boys of pvp aswell. Simply, and totally, inefficient classes compared to the others. Less damage, gold, exp. The only, ONLY thing, that makes a class better than a thief/zerk, is the ability to hit and run. Pointless when vamp almost always allows them to not have to, to get the best exp/gold.

So using that arguement for not wanting to make it 2a because you don't want to log another crit isn't convincing to me. Then again, I actually have no arguement to make it 2a, because I want it 1a aswell. 2a would simply solve alot of class and enviroment problems that would take alot of time that probably isn't had. If the time is put in to better it, I'd rather it stay 1a, but that's unrealistic, so 2a is fine with me.

Edited by Cruxis, 17 November 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#34 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

Autek i understand your arguments and it is hard to disagree with them but also think about this, you have played this server basically from the start like me. How long have we been waiting for "balance"....its not going to happen EVER. This is the closest, most logical idea anyone has had on the 1a server to even adress the issues, and instead of giving them the go ahead to even try to make things a bit more fair or diverse we are just flaming. JLH is not going to take the time to sit and redo the equations, math or w/e he does to make the game balanced, it would take up alot of his time he is devoting to his actual life, instead of bickering lets try and change things like ALL of us want. Best idea you are gonna get in way of balancing.
Prophet 1a #1 pande pwning clan!

#35 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

I say no to 2alt. Making it 2alt would make the game way to easy to play. Balancing the game is the only way to make it better. People would either play one of the 3 already overpowered classes(theif, bererker, druid) and team them up with a cleric, or yet another oped class of thief/zerk/druid. This would thus make the game even more out of whack, only covering up any inconsistencies there already are.

I think Trev once said the difference between main and 1alt is that you can run many more characters, therefore hiding the imbalance better. Adding another alt to 1alt only waters down the unbalance that is 1alt. It doesn't fix it. Nerfing DotW was a good first step. Nerfing spawn rates on mobs isn't though. Nerfing boss drop rates after the game is flooded with certain items also isn't the way to balance the game either.

Bossing and leveling will be easier. From my understanding, the game is easy enough as it is. You just want a game that is intended to be a grind, to be less of a grind. There are already 2 systems of leveling to 35. Why not expand it to level 40 like it was intended to be? Certain bosses were never meant to be killed with a handful of people with a handful of characters.

Funny though how people with 2 Cobalts are all gung ho for the idea.

Just balance the moosing game already. We all know what's wrong with it, now it just needs a fine toothed tweaking. And if you don't know, then you suck, and probably get pked repeatedly over and over and cry about how unfair NM is already.

Edited by Walt, 18 November 2010 - 01:48 AM.

I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

#36 PureMourning

PureMourning
  • Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

Let me fix the game.
Cogito, ergo sum; I think, therefore I am.

#37 brewcrew

brewcrew
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

wtf ROBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB you should fix it :P
Prophet 1a #1 pande pwning clan!

#38 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

How long have we been waiting for "balance"....its not going to happen EVER.

I think it could be done actually. The reason it had never happened in the past is we never had an active staff member in the past (I mean we had Scripto, but what did he really ever do?). It seems to me Abstract and Stig are more than active and willing enough to make changes for the better. Heck, they've already fixed the DotW. Check that one off the list.

EDIT: And of course there are and will be for a little while, people whining over the nerfing. Nobody can say however, that it wasn't for the betterment of the game, and if they do then they are kidding themselves.

Edited by Autek, 18 November 2010 - 03:37 AM.

Autek in game.

#39 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:03 AM

They are also humans(staff). So a quick fix would make more since than a prolonged fix that they likely will not complete due to there actual lives. I mean, 2 alt for certain things does seem a little like an overkill. But if we dont do it, imo, we will just continue to kill the same bosses and have the same two main clans. With 2alt implemented there could be 3 or 4 clans killing what we kill now and kunal and possibly even shifting sands would be possible.

I also believe that if the 2 alt server were implemented that the server would be more active. I think this because of the fact you could be way more self efficient, which i know some of you feel is against the idea of 1alt, but i think that would be a good thing in terms of a more active server. With characters you cant train effectively without a cleric people tend to just log off unless bossing or something going on. So with that being said, it is very likely that the ammount of players on at a time would increase.

With more players on, that means that people would have to train in more places, and that would be more possible with a 2alt system. It just seems like a good idea to me the more i think about it. Especially since the arguements for it deffinately out weigh the arguements against it(imo ofc).

Edited by Apocalypto, 18 November 2010 - 04:03 AM.

Apocalypto

#40 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Sweet, DoTW is fixed :P

Is lvling past 35 1m, 2m, 3m ect? Next quick fix. (It's still more gold by comparison to lvl on main, pleaseee?)

If lvling is easier and there become whole parties of lvl 37-40s, and it also picks up the playerbase, then 2a nor nerfing healing bosses/healing monsters on way to bosses, would be necessary.

I'd definitely want to focus on a single character and lvl 40 if it happened, instead of the 3-5 different characters I randomly decide to use, whichever class entertains me at the time.

Edited by Cruxis, 18 November 2010 - 09:25 AM.

#41 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

The dagger of the winds being fixed is freakin awesome. But yes, i agree with alex in the fact if leveling higher were more plausible then we would not need to change the gameplay completely. That was one of my main concerns with two alt. You would be able to level your characters at a quicker rate, thus making 2alt overkill. But other than that, i thought the idea would have been pretty fitting. With this easier solution and more appropriate considering 1alt will still not be changing is in my head, im kind of on the fence about what should be done.
Apocalypto

#42 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:43 AM

1.5m per trinket instead of 2m

2a must still be happening I guess, cause 1.5m even for 2a's is nuts, granted you wanna level both crits.

If it's a fix for keeping it 1a, then, eww, 1m please.

Edit: Not that I'm unhappy that progressive changes are being made, but more of a nudge k :P

Edited by Cruxis, 19 November 2010 - 05:12 AM.

#43 Sausage

Sausage

Old School Nub

• Members
  • 1409 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

lol let's all just make quick fixes to make people happy and let the game fall apart.

Retired... Now I know how it feels to quit NM and troll forums.

#44 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

lol let's all just make quick fixes to make people happy and let the game fall apart.

Sounds like a well thought out post.
Freek ingame.

#45 Cadabra

Cadabra

(¯`·¸¸» ÇåÐàß®ä «¸¸·´¯)

• Members
  • 2361 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Nobody can determine what will happen, any major changes should be thoroughly tested.

Game is deteriarating pretty fast so something needs sorting.
Nightmist is like Pringles, once you pop you just cant stop.

#46 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:39 AM

It sounds to me that the exact same classes that were overpowered years ago are still overpowered today based on what I've read on the forums. That in itself is a huge problem with Nightmist as others have said. It's a bit sad that there's been no balancing at all in how many years? It seems like what Nightmist really needs is JLH to step in and tweak a few things. It doesn't take long nor is it much work to slightly nerf a few classes and it seems like that's what needs to be done.

And as an ex-player I strongly believe a 2 alt server would be perfect for nightmist. This is what so many old school players like myself wanted years back even before there was such a thing as a 1a server. However it wouldn't be worth it if there's no balancing done. =/
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#47 Cruxis

Cruxis
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:44 AM

Sadly, Nightmist's core system is a little screwy to be easily balanced, atleast in some aspects.

With a PoD system, I don't know who's idea it was to give all classes the same exp needed to lvl, classes that do the most damage to monsters also will level the fastest, a bad thing in itself imo

Thankfully with armor/wisdom/dex, that can be balanced with damage to characters, making the fast lvling crits pretty much crap PvP. Sadly this has yet to be done. I find it funny, almost all classes have 80-110 armor, leaving them to do about the same damage proportionally, that they do on monsters. This would be okay, but there are abilities ingame I'll call "armor piercing", and that throws the whole thing out of whack. Especially if the class has decent hp and armor itself (sound like a class anyone here can name? lolll)

Too bad any staff added to 1a has to be given the "OK" to make changes, even though the superiors don't know what's good or bad for the game.
The only way for 1a to be "balanced", is for an admin to take an hour or two with someone, not just read over an "application", but get into an indepth interview, decide if they are actually a competent, unbias person, and give them TOTAL control over 1a. Leaving none of the senior staffer's to have a say on what ultimately goes on.

Edit: Since the game was designed for 20 alts and not a single character, I do hope if any changes are made to balance the classes, single characters are made stronger and not weaker.

Edited by Cruxis, 22 November 2010 - 05:56 AM.

#48 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

It's been a week and still only half the people who voted have posted. Strange.
Freek ingame.

#49 Sublime

Sublime
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

I don't think JLH will set up another separate Nightmist server, mostly due to logistics and maintenance costs. Anything that is to be tested and trialled has to be done on the live servers.

I'm not sure if it's still active or not, but there already is a separate Nightmist server, 1a2, which was abandoned due to no direction given by the staff in charge. It was a totally blank slate, so I'm sure JLH could transfer everything to that server, but I'm not sure he would, as he has said himself he does not want another new server.

But I think a 2 alt server would be the way to go, players would still have a difficult time tackling some of the bigger bosses in game, but it would just make it possible to complete things that have been a pipe dream for the last few years.

(I know I'm very late on this topic, I'm just catching up, lol)
Sublime - 1a.

#50 Hansol

Hansol
  • Members
  • 1039 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

from my recent weeks experience of actually playing on main again and logging on to one alt just to see if chris is on to finally say i'm a daddy, If 1 alt turned to 2 alt.. I'd expect all monsters should have POD decreased by around 10, maybe 15%... other wise you'd have level 35 theives in no time. But i think druids/pallys would very easily start to appear, but as for bringing back people that use to play... The game hasnt improved enough of become as exciting as i thought it might. And having to wait 4 hours to get enough people on to go and kill TK.. well.. i'd log off and go watch tv personally.

To bring back players, i'd want to kill evil santa EVERY DAY! and i'd finally want to get my own back on one of them shadows that i accidently approached one day and it killed all of my crits... grrrrrrrr....

Apart from that... It's all still rather boring, with not enough role playing, and too much tap tap tap.

I hope everyones doing well.

Love Cal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users