Proposed Changes To The Multi-alt Server

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Ganja

Ganja
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

With everything that is going on in 1a now, it would be pointless to make it nopk. people would loose interest and either leave completely or sit idly by. The point, as i see it, in leaving 1a to be the pk server, you are selected down to 1 or a handfull of alts to become the notorious killer. Your notoriety goes to your characters, using my name as an example, you become.. Shapeshifter/Fang - the notorious PK characters. Instead of, again using my name, Tommy - the guy that runs 20 alts just to flock around and hunt players.

Well multi has been around far longer than 1a so making multi nopk now would only do the same thing imo. if you think about it man 1a server is sposed to be cooperative between its players thus this is perfect reason for 1a to be nopk your supposed to work together on 1a but everyone talks about how its a pk fest etc etc on multi server you run your own set of characters by yourself which needs no teamwork at
all making multi server nopk wont change anything imo cept new areas and people trying to steal your boss kills and talking a bunch of crap cause you cant pk them

#32 Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

and tommy, as for your boss square crit limit idea.... wouldn't jerks just sit there on mass alts and block up the square so no one else can get in? sit on 20 thieves covert so the boss can respawn, but no one else could get in?

i agree that if kill stealing becomes a problem, it means there are more people playing and would have to be dealt with then.. for now it can be done, but no one does it.. so it's not yet a problem.

It was only something i put up there as an idea if the problem arose. To take some of the pressue off staff, and to give the side that is voting to make multi NO-PK a bigger threashold.
Shapeshifter

"Slow Your Roll" << Sobe Cap

#33 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

Regarding things like Capture The Flag and Crazy Pete's arena and the like, allowing PKing on no-XP loss squares, I feel, will be just right, for players who just want to have some fun beating each other up in a controlled environment will have the option to, and the CTF games can still function.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#34 Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

Furthermore, couldnt you also do the same thing that theyve done to the coliseum bosses on 1a and make them not spawn unless the square was completely empty, even of covert characters?

Edited by Shapeshifter, 24 October 2007 - 10:37 PM.

Shapeshifter

#35 katja

katja
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

they're trying to think of what is most simple and most effective to make a change to the game... as it is now, nothing is allowed to be changed with the main server, no area development, nothing... so anything to improve interest in that server and maybe help out new players (because they are pretty freaking important, if you people keep quitting and no one comes in fresh... there will be no one left playing).

plus, whatever is done has to be very simple, to increase the chance that it could be implimented.
i am Kelsta (Katja in game)!

#36 Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

I dont think JLH was involved in makeing coli bosses check before spawning, though that would surmise why the coli was shut down for a while on 1a.

Maybe im wrong.

Edited by Shapeshifter, 24 October 2007 - 10:42 PM.

Shapeshifter

#37 Arsenal

Arsenal
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Actually... In my experience playing 1a most of the time people go to PK with more than one person in the first place. Maybe it's just me?
-

#38 Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

Right now thats because a very tight nit clan is more or less running the bulk of the show on 1a. But that being said, there is still much that can be done without that clan's notice. Being a member of said clan, i do feel abashed about saying it, but we arent invulnerable, we still have many members that are pked on a regular basis. But before there were big clans, you saw Lappa and Freek out by themselves cleaning people out. Lol
Shapeshifter

#39 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

Honestly i dont really agree with this making multi nopk i believe it should of been the 1a server

In coming up with ideas, we decided to leave the more popular server unchanged. Since 1a has 3-4 times as many players as multi, if a change was going to be made, it would have to be made to the multi server. While multi has certainly been around longer, the number of active players has never been this low before.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Aeryn and Trevayne in game.

#40 Arsenal

Arsenal
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

Right now thats because a very tight nit clan is more or less running the bulk of the show on 1a. But that being said, there is still much that can be done without that clan's notice. Being a member of said clan, i do feel abashed about saying it, but we arent invulnerable, we still have many members that are pked on a regular basis. But before there were big clans, you saw Lappa and Freek out by themselves cleaning people out. Lol

I know what you are talking about because I am part of that "very tight nit clan" as well. I know how 1a works, I played it and still log on regularily, but not to train. Although there are the few select people out of the "very tight nit clan," but the vast majority are in the clan which it accounts usually for +50% of the 1a server at any given time. With this being said, although there are a few individuals that do PK and clannies are killed, the vast majority of PK'ing comes from the "very tight nit clan."

While multi has certainly been around longer, the number of active players has never been this low before.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Although this is true... Maybe something other than making NM Multi a NoPK server. There are other possible solutions to this, but as was said in another thread... The Text-Based Gaming Era is over, and there is a vast majority of other games out there that have better graphics, etc. that Nightmist just cannot offer. I wouldn't say, "ruining" but changing the NM Multi server to NoPK would certainly ruin the server for me personally, since that is one other thing to do, even though there is never anyone on ever to PK.

Edited by Arsenal, 24 October 2007 - 11:30 PM.

-

#41 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:23 AM

Maybe something other than making NM Multi a NoPK server. There are other possible solutions to this...

The staff have spent weeks looking for other solutions and tens of hours talking to players looking for new ideas. Every other thing we've discussed though (players and staff alike) requires too much effort from admins, splits the playerbase even further, or doesn't have a chance of making any difference.

If people have other solutions that don't fall into those traps, I'd be interested in hearing them.

#42 Arsenal

Arsenal
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:00 AM

Honestly i dont really agree with this making multi nopk i believe it should of been the 1a server
to be the nopk if you think about it everyone talks about how you have to work together over there
but yet its one big pk fest and basically 1 clan running the show.
ya it would be sweet to see some new areas added into multi but multi server doesnt need to be a complete nopk server just for that to happen if people want to get used to the game and have a good place to start i feel it should be the 1a server considering on multi server your meant to use multiple characters and and a solo environment and most noobs who start out dont exactly start running 20 alts they are usually only running 1 character and then working their way up slowly so i dont support this idea unless its brought upon 1a the way it should of been and not multi

/nod

Seeing as though most noobs don't start out logging 20 at a time, I don't really see the point in making Multi a NoPK server since if they log 1, they might aswell start out and play 1a and then move to multi if that is their ultimate decision.

Also... Maybe its just me personally... What is there to do if you can't PK? If your guys are lvl 30+ then whats the point in training? You can't kill anyone... Even if you have the best weapons in the game. So what? You cant't PK anyone except in Petes or something and no one is just going to be sitting up in Pete's. Seeing some1 training and PK'ing them is the fun of it. Maybe if there were more quests, but that's not likely since Staff does not have the time to do so.
-

#43 Freek

Freek
  • Members
  • 1200 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:16 AM

Ok I didnt read all of this but i read the starter and well, I dont play multi no more. So I really dont care. But I dont see how nopk will help the game at all.. Now I do seeing raising it to where you can only pk lvl 20+'s, So "Noobs" can still train up before they get killed.. Anyways not much on this topic since i dont play multi but go ahead.
Freek ingame.

#44 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:34 AM

Train to take on tougher bosses, get better drops, better your party. If pking is all that you play the game for, it's probably been a pretty lame game for the last year or so eh? And it's not going to be looking up anytime soon with the dwindling player base. Multi is no longer PvP oriented, and hasn't been for quite some time.

And on a side note, I'd bet moshes will become a big deal again. Better weapons, armors, etc. will still directly translate to a better performance in events. Earn your notoriety through becoming the greatest gladiator to walk the realms of Nightmist rather than being the punk who kills noobs for no reason.

Edited by Autek, 25 October 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Autek in game.

#45 Redheart

Redheart
  • Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:42 AM

Believe it I still play Multi Alt
so therefore I can give my 2 cents on this topic.

I support the changes Trevayne has stated. NOPK is fine by me.

As for the comment that Multi Alt is Cancer, that is absurd.
Solo Alt is not a friendly enviroment, if changing multi alt to nopk will bring new players into the game then the change is needed.
How big will your ego be if you cannot kill another player. Keep the egomaniacs and conceits on solo alt.
TY :ph34r:
" For lunch we can have cupcakes until our little fairy tummies are content. We can all stay up to watch the sunset, then go to sleep in our little fairy beds.”

#46 staria

staria
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:59 AM

I would support the multi server going no pk, not much of it happening anyway. I also think to keep it interesting, maybe halt pking in the classic sense but still allow for players to kill say like level 25+ with crafted things like bombs, grenades, poisonous gases, poisonous darts (just a few examples). It would give players a sense of being able to defend against kill stealing, and also get them out of town searching for the items to craft.
Veritas Lux Mea

Demi

#47 Arsenal

Arsenal
  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:08 AM

Train to take on tougher bosses, get better drops, better your party. If pking is all that you play the game for, it's probably been a pretty lame game for the last year or so eh? And it's not going to be looking up anytime soon with the dwindling player base. Multi is no longer PvP oriented, and hasn't been for quite some time.

And on a side note, I'd bet moshes will become a big deal again. Better weapons, armors, etc. will still directly translate to a better performance in events. Earn your notoriety through becoming the greatest gladiator to walk the realms of Nightmist rather than being the punk who kills noobs for no reason.

Hmm... Well... Nightmist has not been completely boring because of the fact that you CAN PK if you want to if there is someone on tot PK. I think that if it was totally NoPK I personally wouldn't feel motivated to train anymore. Maybe make the occassional gold for a mosh but that's about it. What is nightmist without Pk'ing?

I would support the multi server going no pk, not much of it happening anyway.

Thats because there's rarely anyone on to PK.
-

#48 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:21 AM

Train to take on tougher bosses, get better drops, better your party. If pking is all that you play the game for, it's probably been a pretty lame game for the last year or so eh?

Better your party, and then? Those things you said are means to fulfill a goal, where the goal is mostly to PK. People don't join to click pictures and get nopic equipment. The motivation of most people is to get a reputation and interact with other players. And pking is a means of interacting.

Tbh tho, the NM code is made in JLH's earlier years. It's not flexible, hence why it takes long to adjust or implent new additions. It's old, and not for new generation kids. So it's only normal that it's sinking.

Besides that tho, every online game is there to kill others, its what makes it a thriving business. If you don't got that, then what do you offer to attract people. I'd say put all the effort you put in this in another new game. Strip the grid, lose the rest. We're 7 years further and running on the same simple code it had back then. It never changed, only lines got added. Design a new client, new additions to a game aren't hard to add if you just start with a steady base code.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#49 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:19 AM

Maybe make it so only crits lvl30+ can pk or be pk'd? That would help preserve new players and still give vets a threat.

#50 Perfection

Perfection
  • Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

There is no way currently to make it so you can attack monsters on a grid square without being able to also attack players.

there is, in the stat where you set pk or nopk you have the option of 1 or 2, it dosn't say but if you set it as 3 its nopk square with ability to still attack monsters.

all seems like a decent idea i don't see how it would affect any current players that use mass alts anyway, i'd also like to see limit of 20 alts changed back to unlimited, or at least 50 or so.
Pulsar, Gremlin or Old_Dog in game. (multi alt only)

#51 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

There is no way currently to make it so you can attack monsters on a grid square without being able to also attack players.

there is, in the stat where you set pk or nopk you have the option of 1 or 2, it dosn't say but if you set it as 3 its nopk square with ability to still attack monsters.

Grid stat 3 works like this, but in the tests I've tried of it, there are a number of ways to get around this and still kill other players. I'm not going to mention them here, but if I can figure it out, then players certainly will in a matter of hours or days. I'd rather see a complete solution put in place. If we advertise it as a "no-PK" server but it turns out that you still get killed, that's going to lead to a lot of frustration from players.

#52 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

So far, 3 players have mentioned making it to where you can only pk and be pk'ed at a certain level which would more likely be level 30 since most players use level 30's to pk anyways. This is the most sensible solution other than making the game completely non-pk. People are gonna get bored eventually seeing as how it doesn't take long to arch crits. Sure, getting to better bosses is nice, but after so long, that gets boring. There still might not be much pk'ing going on because of the world being too big as it is, but hey, that's the beauty of it. It makes it challenging. I must say though, last night was pretty fun with the pk war going on in grassy meadows. :ph34r:

#53 LoKey

LoKey
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

I would love to put my two cents in on this topic. I haven't been able to return to my full extend of play, but I have had a little bit of time to play as of late, and I've been playing on Multi, so I thought I'd throw in a line or two on this topic.

First of all, let me say that I support it. Yes, I agree that there will be a few problems that will have to be addressed. And those problems that would have to be addressed have already been mentioned so there's no need to restate them.

However, if we don't do something to gain players, we're going to continue until there is no NM for any of us to enjoy at all. As PK'in isn't an issue right now, there's no damage in making NM Multi a No-PK server. I have suggested to staff as a possible solution later when the game grows again, to make the /clan enemy list or even /enemy a place where PK'in is allowed. For the /clan list, it would have to be a mutual thing, both clans add the other to an enemy, then all members would be free to attack each other, no matter where they were on the map, except within cities of course.

As far as the personal enemy list, I haven't really decided where I stand on that. It wouldn't be fair for one person to simply add you to /enemy and be able to be attacked. Not really sure how to implement it, but maybe not have it to simply type /enemy, but to create some system so that say if someone kill steals from you and doesn't make restitution, that a system is devised to allow them to be placed on your /enemy list, making them available for you to attack, however if you place them on yours, you automatically go on theirs as well. Like I said, just a thought, but not really completely thought out yet, as those who never wish to engage in conflict and would simply let the infraction go, they'd need some balancing factor to protect them and their generous attitudes.

Anyway, I support this idea as it wouldn't hurt the current regular player base, and it would promote friendly treatment of new players and support helping each other rather than a spirit of competition.

I would also suggest more events such as moshes and all, to allow the competitive spirit to flourish as well, as that is what drives people to train and better their party. Granting more moshes and events of the like will give an outlet for that and allow people to receive recognition for winning moshes.

Anyway, that's my two cents that may have actually turned some change, who knows.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
~ Edmund Burke ~

#54 joanna

joanna
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

Maybe make it so only crits lvl30+ can pk or be pk'd? That would help preserve new players and still give vets a threat.

The problem with this suggestion is people can abuse it by running around on 15+ zerks/rangers/thieves supported by master clerics. Master clerics have the same stamina and spells as archmasters, and under the L30+ suggestion would be in virtual god-mode. One player with invincible healers jumping someone with perfectly killable healers = very unfair

#55 MysticStorm

MysticStorm
  • Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

The problem with this suggestion is people can abuse it by running around on 15+ zerks/rangers/thieves supported by master clerics. Master clerics have the same stamina and spells as archmasters, and under the L30+ suggestion would be in virtual god-mode. One player with invincible healers jumping someone with perfectly killable healers = very unfair

And as I pointed out, the other person could very well use a master cleric as well which would make the pk battle more drawn out and more worth-while. Maybe to avoid this, we could even drop it down to level 27 to pk and be pk'ed. Clerics don't get divine restoration till level 27 (can't remember if it's 27 or 25) so the advantage of using a level 26 cleric is taken out. Either way, I still don't see a major problem with this.

I really don't agree with Multi being totally non-pk. It's something that has been a part of the game since the very beginning and it's one of the adrenaline rushes that some people have whether it's to pk or knowing that you can be pk'ed. At least making it this suggestion, newbies can still get their feet wet for awhile without getting pk'ed and it won't seem pointless to level crits.

#56 evilcartoon

evilcartoon
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:55 PM

well ive been playing for a while and yeah theres no big pk'ers in multi but when more than 3 playrers are on it makes me train better and faster cuz i dont wanna get pk'ed by the few that actually do. like others have said motivation, and like another person said 1a is like ironic cuz u cant solo anything maybe if u made that a nopk server ppl well actually train better and what not and maybe some will come back to multi to pk i dont know i dont play 1a but all and all staff will do what they wanna do and hopefully they make the game interesting again. but its nice to see ppl come out with ideas.

Edited by evilcartoon, 25 October 2007 - 10:55 PM.

#57 Autek

Autek
  • Members
  • 1967 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

1a is for cooperation between players. Ultimately you shouldn't be able to solo bosses. I played 1a in the beginning and it was amazing. The comraderie I developed with my clan while I played 1a was unlike any I'd developed in all my years of Nightmist, outside of the old Midnight Thorns.

You shouldn't fear pkers on multi man, I've left my party afk in the second floor of the museum for hours at a time without being touched. People are pretty chill on there. The egomaniacs have moreless moved to 1a now.
Autek in game.

#58 shomer

shomer
  • Members
  • 1104 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

the only problem i see with this is that gold would be way too easy to make. players could run 20 alts in the museum with no fear of getting killed and losing their gold, basically like being on a party of 20 paci's.
Page me on Heritage

#59 Trevayne

Trevayne
  • Advisors
  • 1841 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:36 AM

the only problem i see with this is that gold would be way too easy to make. players could run 20 alts in the museum with no fear of getting killed and losing their gold, basically like being on a party of 20 paci's.

This is one problem that I think we can solve. Let me point out first that (1) there are so few people on multi at this point that people can do this anyway, (2) this was an advantage already enjoyed by certain players who were either powerful or popular. Also, gold influx is something that staff can much, much more easily regulate when and if it becomes a problem.

#60 Vodka

Vodka
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:34 AM

The ones who play this server are the ones who have to realize that this can be a beta testing thing. There'd be nothing wrong with trying out the NOpk. If it doesn't work, it CAN be changed back to the original state.

Those that are pkers are going to disagree with this idea, while those who fall victim to those pkers are going to side with this idea, for the most part, anyway.

I stopped playing, as a player, because I was tired of being pk'd. I was never one to be able to defend myself well. Believe it or not, some don't play the game to PvP. Admitting it or not, no one likes to lose out on their well earned work.

I don't agree with the whole lvl 30 cap idea. Why should players miss out on having a lvl 30 char because others want to be bullies?

I also think there should be something major separating the two servers, besides one being multi and the other solo. Having set one server to nopk would probably be it.
When you do something right nobody remembers, but when you do something wrong nobody forgets.

Hump in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users