• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:27 AM

We play games to enjoy a escape from reality and to relax.. or most of us do. With how everyone always complains about how such and such is unbalanced or how certain clans make it impossible for others to do certain things most of the time.. or how the game needs a shuffling of the deck ect ect... I am suprised how many of you are against this and appear to just complain to hear yourselves complain.. this will moslikely fix all of the things people have been bickering and complaining about and rather then have that and a fresh level playing field like everyone wants (judging by all previous
"1a suggestions and such"). All the sudden its a big issue now because people might lose stuff they've worked on.. big deal. If people wanna leave because of some adversity then thats fine maybe a new balanced server will bring others in who won't nitpick everything then bash everyone who tries to help.

I don't care if I have to start over from scratch..I would like to say thanks to Simon for adressing that something needed to be done. I am looking forward to the new server even if it means I lose what I have currently. How it stands now we don't see alot of people on 1a anymore anyways. maybe with the new one some old players would come back and maybe some currents will leave.. oh well its a vicious cycle.

Edited by Gnarkill, 25 May 2009 - 12:30 AM.

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#32 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

I've supported a creation of a new server since before there was talk of a new server. Pretty much feel it's the right way to go, nothing ever moved foward on the server we already have.

Pandilex writes the future, good or bad. Doesn't look like his mind's going to change and it doesn't look like most of ours are either.

#33 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:14 AM

Another question about the new 1a2 going down..

I know it may not be possible but maybe staff could think of a way to make sure nothing is traded between servers.. or alteast characters.. It would be neat to see characters locked to the accounts of those who worked on them for good (unless a staff member personally changed it to a diff acct for you or something). I also see the character locking as a bit of a problem because alot of people don't have the patience to sit and roll while others will have bunches of chars rolled for themselves. Maybe have a system put into place where only lvl 1 characters could be traded out of the accts that are rolled in? via standard "/trade so and so crit for your however much gold".

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#34 Walt

Walt
  • Members
  • 993 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

Nightmist is a highly-involved icon/text-based MUD (Multi User Dungeon). Create a fully-customizable character with distinctive strengths and weakness. Choose from one of nine classes, each one significantly influencing how you experience the game.

That is a quote from the homepage of nightmist. It does not say that we have 9 classes all of whom will do the same thing. It specficaly states that some classes will be more powerful then others.

i dont quite udnerstand what that has to do with your post walt, maybe elaborate. i do understand it says distinctive strengths and weaknesses, it doesnt say some classes will be stronger then others, currently, i see no 'distinctive' weakness in thieves.

i would give the new 'nightmist' a go. i dont know if i will play for long though, but ill definately try it if its new

I did not say that the thief class was not somewhat overpowered with it's very cheap vamp weapon given at a lower level and no other class can use it. This in my humble opinion is the only true thing that made thieves unbalanced in the 1alt server. Maybe a tad less armor piercing could be done as well, but in the whole ball of things, a thief is no more overpowered than a mage or druid in this point in time when dealing damage.

The one distinct weakness in a thief is if it does not kill what it sets out to kill, it is a sitting duck for 10 seconds. Rangers and zerks have this problem too, but they also have alot more choices to attack with, and do not need to rapid fire, smite or zerk to be all too effective.

But the way I have understood all of the suggestions that many people have posted over the last few months, it seems most want the classes to resemble each other with no real special traits.

And for those people in such an uproar over this, here is something for you all to think about.

It will take months to finish, maybe even a year. When it is eventually ready, it will probably replace the current 1-alt.

Do we all forget about Opal spheres and Dark Strata so quickly? Sorry Simon, but you do not have a very solid track record of following through all the way. I hope you don't get a job/girfriend/goldfish in the next year to sidetrack you.
I would ask myself why, but even I do not know everything.

#35 Dublin

Dublin
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:07 AM

As I've previously stated, I fully support a new server.. I'll give any new nightmist server a go. However, Id like to see a 1a or 3a server if ya'll are still debating on the amount of alts.

Also, I agree with more information. I know Angelus (tagged 1a2 Staff) said that he doesn't know a hole lot, so I wont bother demanding information. However, I think that if you have any major ideas for the new 1a server like some of the ones I'm about to state, then you should let the players know.

Major Non Gameplay Ideas

I. Sharing - I believe that accounts should be locked by ips. I belive that sharing should be removed from the game, because really.. Sharing is the most UNBALANCED thing of nightmist. A dedicated player can level just as fast if not faster as an account with two or more players but... it is still 2v1.

II. Character Trading -
As I know a lot of people like to just gold and then buy characters, I belive that character trading shouldn't exist. I know this is one of the things that make nightmist nightmist but honestly, how many great games are you allowed to trade the hole character. However, I believe that lvl 1 characters should be sellable due to the rolling issue.. Which leads to my next one..

III. Rolling - As the rolling system in general is a good idea (D&D related), I cannot stand how hard it can be to roll even a simple 3 stat sometimes. I know you can roll a 4 stat in a matter of minutes one day and then a matter of hours the next. This drives new players away quickly and leads to less diversity. I propose two things, if one is to far fetch'd try the other.
1.) Start off with 3 perfect stats that you can place and roll for a four-six stat.
2.) Have generic perfect stats, such as 18, that can be placed where you want it. Once you place it in an area eg Str Con Wis, the 18 will either go up or down depending on the race you chose.
Example: Rolled a 16 18 18 18 18 15 character. On a dwarf if i put the 15 into str it would get the 3+ str boost when placed and be upgraded to 18, and the 18 to the max 21. And so on given the race of the character your rolling.

IV. Stats & Classes - I believe that either the stats of races should change and/or the class selection. Right now there are two Useless classes and one thats almost there. Half-elfs and Half-orcs are pretty much useless, anything they can do something can do better. As for the classes, I dont see why certian classes such as Half-elfs and Dwarfs can't be paladins, and things of that nature.

I have more Ideas but like I said, this isnt a thread for Ideas, infact its an Anti-1a 2.0 thread. So I will post these and other ideas where needed. The main thing I wanted out of this thread was:

FOR STAFF TO LET PLAYERS KNOW ANY MAJOR NON GAMEPLAY INFO AS WELL AS MAJOR INGAME CHANGES, SO THAT PLAYERS WILL KNOW HOW DRASTIC IT WILL BE AND SO THEY CAN POST THERE IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS BEFORE IT OPENS AND WE HAVE ANOTHER 1A PROBLEM.

Thank you.

Edited by Dublin, 25 May 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#36 Tietsu

Tietsu
  • Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

I'd just like to see frequent updates of the new server. Like what you have accomplished. Like, "New City of Nightmist Developed". "New low level area created". I would be fine with the topic being locked from player opinions.

#37 Dublin

Dublin
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

When your done posting Maarten go post about 1a Vs 3a please. Need a person with brains to give reasons!

#38 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Just want to say to everyone that all that is being said is read. I can't say anything about the new server because there is nothing to be said yet. Things need to be organised and that takes time, but we are discussing ideas and a lot of them come straight from suggestions that players made, be it now or from a long time ago (I tend to remember a lot of things). And I'm talking about major things, not just areabuilding but the way game mechanics work for instance.

Lets pretend Nightmist is a house, on this new house we don't only have the opportunity to redecorate it, we can in fact tear down almost every wall that doesn't fit the future plans.

I don't know maybe im missing something here, but tbh one thing i see is that you chose all your staff members from the same clan. Not saying that you are partial to them, but why not pick one from the other side of the fence that can see from magic users point of view. So far you have picked two people that didnt play one alt that much and one who has pretty much solely used only a thief for most of the time. You need to have people from all aspects to get a balanced game. Maybe some things are being left out that we dont know about atm idk, but i think a full explaination of how things are going to go is in order. Or atleast deserved. I mean come on. We are the people that has kept nightmist going for the time being. So i think an explaination is in order at the least.

First I'll comment on your thoughts separate, and then I'll comment on it as a whole.

I haven't logged on 1a in months. And before I was in Pandemonium (guessing that's what you mean) I was in MD and enjoying it there. Not that it matters in any way what clan I was in as people who know me know I treat everyone equally, no matter if you're a friend or a foe, a clannie or an enemy.

I'm not saying I'm all knowing, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to develop a playable game. Mostly you just need motivation, and a good head on your shoulders.

Now to respond to it in full, how is this all relevant? The possibilities are endless, current balancing issues and the like have nothing to do with this new server. And if you like to accuse me of not knowing my NM stuff, then by all means do. But perhaps you can try and work with it instead of against it.

Desendent: I dont want to lose everything ive gotten and spent time on and have to start over.
I haven't thought about this too much, but here is my two cents on this. I'm pretty sure players will be compensated, either in full or partially, or in some way remembered for their achievements on the original 1-alt server. If this is not in place already, I, or we as players, can come up with some type of points system to redeem rewards in the new one, without being too powerful. Just because someone has worked hard on an unbalanced server doesn't mean they should start out as a God in the second. This would just mean more unbalanced gameplay. I'm thinking the reward of doing things on a real, balanced server will overpower losing things on a thief vs. mage/druid server.

Exactly the same thing I told people contacting me. But they rather find arguments against the inevitable as opposed to actually being productive. It's the unfounded doomsday thinking that keeps things from progressing, not only on here but everywhere.

I'm all for keeping the NM playerbase informed on things that are going on, but right now there isn't anything to comment on yet. I'm probably more impatient then anyone here, and if I do put my mind to something it gets done quick (wiki from thought to being real was a matter of a week, new NM site was made in a few days (having went past three different designs)).

We just needed a place to discuss things, and as such our forum groups changed. It was something that wasn't foreseen (but should've) and it brought this entire load with it. If it went how it should've, you wouldn't know about any of this until we had something solid to communicate.

So why don't we just let it rest, by all means don't stop commenting as there are productive things being said. But try to take things for what they are and stop asking the same questions and making the same complaints time after time about something you or I know nothing about yet.
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users