• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

The rules are sooooooooo clear, yet still people seem to be having problems with them.

If you swear, then you will get banned. I don't care if you use a different spelling, if you use an * to cover up one letter, etc. etc. it's all the same (I don't mind all * though).

To clarify further, you will be banned in these situations:

- I witness first-hand the above in general chat.

- You page someone repeatedly with swearing and they voice a complaint. If you do it once and they complain, then I will warn you. If you persist, then it's a ban.

- Someone e-mails or messages me regarding abuse. Since you probably won't be online, if it's severe, then it will be an account ban. I'm tired of people sending me logs of abuse when they themselves are just as bad. Do you realise how lame it is to tell tales when you're having an argument? If it's unprovoked and undeserved I'll be much more likely to do something about it.

- You make comments/insults that are completely unsuitable and way out of line.

Additionally:

I cannot see -every- single person that breaks the rules of the game. Just like real life, you can get away with crimes if you're never caught. If you're caught, and someone else isn't, TOO BAD. Don't come to me whining about bias or other such nonsense. It doesn't take any effort at all to simply not swear in the game.

Unless I witness something first hand I generally don't ban without a warning. This is because people think it's a great thing to lie to get people they don't like banned, or twist the facts so I make an incorrect judgement. This is why it's hard to check transcripts that are emailed.
If I'm contacted IMMEDIATELY after an event you wish to report occurs (Yelling in game if I'm online that player XXX is using inappropriate language) then I can usually check first-hand.

Remember that the decisions of staff are essentially their own, and therefore anything I have said above applies only to me.

It is the long standing policy that people who break the rules instantly forfeit all of their rights. Consequently, it's up to us when we unban them, IF we unban them, etc.

My actions are also scaled depending on the attitude and context. As a result, in some (rare) circumstances it is possible to avoid being banned for swearing in open chat, and in some cases it's possible to be banned immediately for swearing in pages. It depends on the exact situation.
If you build it, they will come.

#2 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

I think people staring arguments on a game should get banned no matter what.

Also, **** you :P
Angelus ingame.
Back into the shadows once again...

#3 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:43 AM

What about people starting/fuelling arguments on the forum Mr. Angelus?

Another addition to the above list of rules: If you tell me to ban someone then I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to kill you, then I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to kill someone else, then I will feed you to the dragon. If you make me invisible, I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to feed you to the dragon, then I will feed you to the dragon.

And then I'll jail you for being an annoying pain in the ass.
If you build it, they will come.

#4 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

And there was me, thinking a forum was for discussing subjects using arguments. Silly me... :P
Angelus ingame.

#5 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

is this rule as clear as the rule on perm bans?

btw isn't ass a bad word?
Even in death my hate will go on

#6 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:46 PM

What about people starting/fuelling arguments on the forum Mr. Angelus?

Another addition to the above list of rules: If you tell me to ban someone then I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to kill you, then I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to kill someone else, then I will feed you to the dragon. If you make me invisible, I will feed you to the dragon. If you tell me to feed you to the dragon, then I will feed you to the dragon.

And then I'll jail you for being an annoying pain in the ass.

HAHAHA i like it. you're a funny guy simon, and being face to face with a dragon would be somewhat of a privilage as i am a big fan of the mystical animal, and it is also a symbol of my country. (see avatar).

Unfortunately i don't play anymore, i simply log on to help those in need.

#7 Epic

Epic
  • Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:11 PM

We'll see if this is actually followed up, i doubt it..

#8 Requiem

Requiem
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:24 PM

Next poll does anyone like Simon. I bet you that one gets removed eh?? Anyhow on topic so my post stays. Don't swear its a kids game :P Keep it round your friends :P

#9 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:53 PM

i dont see why people have to swear at all. fair enough i say alot of foul language in person, but on an all-age roleplaying game... thats just pathetic.

#10 alone

alone
  • Members
  • 2261 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

I swear infront of people I know won't be offended, or as part of a joke - Very very rarely do I ever swear out of anger, in real life and on Nightmist.

I've been banned from the forum for language before, but I felt what I said had to be said, and needed the filter bypass to make it actually funny.

Edited by alone, 25 August 2004 - 01:55 PM.

"Entertain yourself with my nightmares."
- AfterAll

Bunny!

#11 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

it's **** bs i hear 8 year old kids yell at eachothers they are assholes and stuff like that (and this is in a rich ppl neighbourhood) but on a game we can't swear. it even sais in the eula that nm staff can't be held responsible so why make a fuss?

#12 Zelimos

Zelimos

DraigNET.com

• Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

why make a fuss.... because this is meant to be an online community where people come together to play a GAME, not where people log on to pregnant dog, use foul language and slag each other off, which is what i've seeing for the past 2 years or so now.

#13 Epic

Epic
  • Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

Theres alot more worse things online then kids cussing in a game...but they wish to have the game "cussing" free...i still think there should be a filter put in that if you dont wish to see "cussing" it makes some symbols and you can have this turned on or off

#14 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

filters can be got around
also, i agree with Pandilex's view on it
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#15 Bishop

Bishop
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:57 PM

Hasn't this all happened before..?

#16 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

Hasn't this all happened before..?

looked familiar yes so i'm not expecting much :P

#17 Epic

Epic
  • Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

if anyones expecting much out of nightmist you'd be a damn fool

#18 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

/nod

#19 Amy

Amy
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:21 PM

Why can't everyone just take the fact that he stated the rules perhaps to clarify them and as a reinforcement of them.. rather than making a big ordeal of it? Stop whining and realize that as rules are now clearly stated, there is NO excuse to break them.. Is not like they are hard to follow.

Good day,
Amy of Draco
~With each choice comes consequences.. Choose carefully~

#20 Angelus

Angelus
  • Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:41 PM

Why can't everyone just take the fact that he stated the rules perhaps to clarify them and as a reinforcement of them.. rather than making a big ordeal of it? Stop whining and realize that as rules are now clearly stated, there is NO excuse to break them.. Is not like they are hard to follow.

Good day,
Amy of Draco

They are talking not about us breaking those rules, it's about Pandi himself breaking the rules. And if you weren't asleep the last couple of months you would have seen that's what Pandi likes to do..

Just clarifying why they are saying that, i myself couldn't care less.
Angelus ingame.

#21 jurian

jurian

YAY! Less Lag!

• Members
  • 1505 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

i dun care about the rule being stated and not breaking it, it just looks like a useless rule to me since kids these days swear before they can actually read (or play nm)

#22 green_mantis

green_mantis
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:26 PM

Some people can't even read or write, yet they still post on the forums and make us all try to decipher what their intentions are through their poorly missspelled words, and constant cussing.
I am very sorry, if not for something I did, then it is for something I will do.

#23 Cule

Cule
  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:24 PM

darn :P

#24 Vardoth

Vardoth
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

I have a metaphor for this situation.

NM is like the matrix and pandilex is like an agent. He can shape the game to whatever he wants but there will always be players (neo etc) there to break those rules. Its like banning people to be people. Some people cuss and some dontand nothing SIMON can do can/will change that.

#25 Squee

Squee

Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1810 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

And in order for peace, Neo had to die. Hmm...
Posted Image

#26 Vardoth

Vardoth
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:45 PM

i was meaning the first matrix movie when neo(players) kick the agents(Pandis) ***

#27 dec

dec
  • Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:17 PM

then why play?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
In Soviet Russia
Poem write you!

Belzabar in-game

#28 Harky

Harky
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 10:56 PM

It doesn't really even matter if the rule on swearing is in place for the reason that this is a family game. Constantly swearing is generally considered vulgar, and it's possible that they don't want that kind of atmosphere in their game, age doesn't have to come into it. I don't see what the big deal is in not being allowed to swear anyway, can someone clarify that for me?.

Edited by Harky, 25 August 2004 - 10:57 PM.

#29 Night_Angel

Night_Angel
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

if you dont like the rules dont play the game. less server space being taken up keeping your crits where they need to be. you dont expect much, so stop complaining. does everyone remember that JLH can shut this down when he feels like it? hummm.... JLH and Pandilex make the rules. JLH and Pandilex keep the game going... what am i getting at dont disregard their rules if you want the game to keep going. its simple enough logic i think..
Perhaps one day maybe I will understand PAIN. Why it is and how it has to be. Until then...

#30 Amy

Amy
  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:36 AM

Good day,
Amy of Draco

They are talking not about us breaking those rules, it's about Pandi himself breaking the rules. And if you weren't asleep the last couple of months you would have seen that's what Pandi likes to do..

Just clarifying why they are saying that, i myself couldn't care less.

Angelus, I was replying to the original post. The rules should be followed. What has or has not been done in any situation is NOT what this post was started about. Just because I don't waste my time arguing every little tiny point does not mean I do not know what is going on in the game. Regardless, if you have anything further to throw at me or any other insults, please do it through memo or page, or even feel free to privately message me them here on the forum.. There is no need to fill up the forum with em.

Thanks alot, Good day,
Amy of Draco
~With each choice comes consequences.. Choose carefully~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users