Games Consoles?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Eternyte

Eternyte
  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:27 PM

Whats your favorite games console and why? i.e. PS2, and the reason.
I am the Dragon, before me you Tremble!

#2 Mastah_Fluff

Mastah_Fluff
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:47 PM

I don't really have a fav, I've liked all the consoles I've owned over the years...but ones I liked more so then other now would have to be the NES, Sega Genesis, N64, and the SNES
Love long lost, never to love again, forever to be alone.
Creator of All Things Fluffy
Evil Zoloft King of Un-Certain Insanity

#3 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:51 PM

NES.... Come on, its vintage, what better reason do I need?

Other than that.... does PC count? Cause that makes my secondary vote, simply because its going to outlast any of these current systems anyways.
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#4 Mastah_Fluff

Mastah_Fluff
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:53 PM

I forgot to give a reason...just cause? lol I don't really care...but yea PC would be another if it counts..its got so many games! lol and I have to put up for teh old Pong lol it just pwnz

Edited by Mastah_Fluff, 25 February 2004 - 06:56 PM.

Love long lost, never to love again, forever to be alone.
Creator of All Things Fluffy
Evil Zoloft King of Un-Certain Insanity

#5 two

two
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:54 PM

in the end, i'd have to give the nod to nes. snes was so crazy dope, because of the street fighter two, the mortal combat, madden, and killer instinct among others. but how can you beat duckhunt, link, volleyball, and the marios? the answer is up down up down a b a select start.

#6 Bean

Bean
  • Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 06:56 PM

Hey! does that actually work :)

Oh boy.... no..... cant resist urge to try..... NOOOOOOO, I hope it doesnt work. :blink:
Copying from one is Plagiarism
Copying From many is Research.

It's so exciting I need to poo~Deval

#7 two

two
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:18 PM

Hey! does that actually work :)

Oh boy.... no..... cant resist urge to try..... NOOOOOOO, I hope it doesnt work. :blink:

only for a little game me and my drunk buddies call didjareedoo

other people call it contra though (enter it before the title screen scrolls all the way over....what could it do!?!?!?!?!??!)

#8 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:40 PM

NES Chip 'n Dale

There still hasn't been a game on any console which can top that...

#9 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:42 PM

PS2.

Gamecube = Most of the games are cartoony and for children. Granted, they have a few adult games... but not enough to be worth buying.
Xbox = I HATE the controllers. Not to mention the lack of decent games.
PS2 = Good controller and a huge range of games. I'm considering buying a PS2 now, mainly for FFX-2 and BG:Dark Alliance 2 (anyone here played them two games and can give me their opinion on it?)

#10 Akira

Akira
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:00 PM

PS2.

Gamecube = Most of the games are cartoony and for children. Granted, they have a few adult games... but not enough to be worth buying.
Xbox = I HATE the controllers. Not to mention the lack of decent games.
PS2 = Good controller and a huge range of games. I'm considering buying a PS2 now, mainly for FFX-2 and BG:Dark Alliance 2 (anyone here played them two games and can give me their opinion on it?)

Why did you not compare with the retro consoles too? Or are you just a next-gen gamer :) .

My favourite console is the Nintendo 64; Three of the best games of all time are on that console (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye), and it captured my imagination more than any other, except maybe the NES which was my first 'real' console and introduced me to gaming on the grander scale.
You have to forget about what other people say, when you're supposed to die, or when you're supposed to be loving. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.

#11 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:58 PM

PS2 Here.Has all the games I like.The controls are great and easy.Plus it loads fast enough for me.Oh and good graphics.

N64 is my 2nd.As Akira said.It has three of the best games.All of which he mentioned.

I got an xbox in november.I hate it.I only bought two games for it because all the other games suck.I bought Rainbow Six:3 and Elder Scrolls III.When the next Elder Scrolls comes out it will most likely be played more by me cause I will be buying it lol.

Oh and to answer your question if FF10-2 and Baldurs Gate 2 Dark Alliance were any good...Well FF10-2 is great.It is by far my new fav Final Fantasy game.Great everything on it!
And I rented BG2 last week.I did not like it that much.Seemed slightly boring heh.I didnt play it that much so I can't really judge it.
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#12 Nexus

Nexus
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:12 PM

im sorry everyone but my fav. has to be xbox i love it halo,elder scroll3, conter strike online, and the list goes on not to mention that im getting windows xp on it soon cause i found out how my friends got it and it kicks so i will have the best of both world pc and xbox pluse the hard drive is bangin

Edit: man i didnt realize i was on my bros account man got to change to my account if anyone askes this is surkillalot no nexus my bad

Edited by Nexus, 25 February 2004 - 09:14 PM.

#13 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:16 PM

im sorry everyone but my fav. has to be xbox i love it halo,elder scroll3, conter strike online, and the list goes on not to mention that im getting windows xp on it soon cause i found out how my friends got it and it kicks so i will have the best of both world pc and xbox pluse the hard drive is bangin

Edit: man i didnt realize i was on my bros account man got to change to my account if anyone askes this is surkillalot no nexus my bad

Best of both? Yeah, the best of the crap controlers and the worst of the graphics. Sweet :) I don't know why, but I just tend to think of the Xbox as a slow, big square lump of crap.

Akira, to answer your question... i've only been playing consoles for like 5 years or something, and my first was a playstaion. I can't comment on the old consoles because I haven't owned one :\ (well, I bought a mega drive with 15 games for £10 at some charity thing lol)

#14 surkillalot

surkillalot
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:16 PM

my bad everyone now im on the right name so if anyone ask im the one who loves xbox not nexus
Good Vs. Evil who will win???

No images allowed in signatures - Crane

#15 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:19 PM

my bad everyone now im on the right name so if anyone ask im the one who loves xbox not nexus

yeah we sorta noticed by nexus's edit... :)
-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#16 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:44 PM

Sega Megadrive / Genesis.

That pwned over any system to date, genuinely fun games, relatively cheap in compirson to todays stupid prices, and the ability to attach a multitap and/or cartridges with controller ports on them for multiplayerfun clearly made them superior. Playing Micro Machines vs 7 other people was wicked fun.
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

#17 two

two
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 10:57 PM

one word to the defense of xbox, halo. nothing like getting together with holmies, getting drunk and playing. i think it beats the playability of bond, which has been the reigning champ before halo.
ps2 is too nerdy, too many alone games....lame. get the smaller controllers for xbox and you're gravy (the huge ones blow ass, small ones are dope...and durable too when you get mad and through them at eachother).
the cube is cute, fun with monkey ball and smash bros. but it does tend to get a little old.
oh halo 2, where are you?

#18 An Eskimo

An Eskimo
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

hmm I have a couple favoritees.
Gamecube - compact, nice controllers, PSO, SA2battle, all of the sonic games

Dreamcast - probably most favorite system of all time. ahead of its time. great games, nice contollers, first online system, and it was made by sega :).

Genesis- just an awesome system. The sonic series kicked a$$, and I love the Shining Force series, luckily, they had that one of DC :blink:.

oh yeah, the system I hate the most:
Xbox - the system itself is just a huge doorstep, you need to take off your roof just to get it into your house. The controllers suck a$$ and the "small" controllers are no better than the original controllers. PSO sucks on it because its hacked more than dreamcast was. And they are still making an Xbox 2...lmao....

Edited by An Eskimo, 26 February 2004 - 02:13 PM.

GÚñ§ Ñ' ®Õ§€§
Support Eskimos. Down with the Penguins.
SK84LIFE!
Metal in game.

#19 Malavon

Malavon
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:40 PM

one word to the defense of xbox, halo. nothing like getting together with holmies, getting drunk and playing. i think it beats the playability of bond, which has been the reigning champ before halo.

Halo is also on the PC... and its far better on the PC too :)

That pwned over any system to date, genuinely fun games, relatively cheap in compirson to todays stupid prices

Thats interesting... When I bought my Megadrive second hand, one of the games (Mortal Kombat, not sure which) still had its price label on. £44.99. Thats £10 more than you'd expect to pay for games now-a-days. Even FFX-2 is only around £32, and thats brand new!

#20 Penguin

Penguin

cummins powaaah

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:17 PM

its tough to pick just one
sega genisis-the sonic game (sonic 3 & and Knuckles pwnz)
GCN-PSO and melee
SNES-MK games

#21 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:33 PM

Compact is only an issue in hand-held's. The controllers looks are childish and shaped like the ones from sony, nice saving on research, just steal someone elses idea. Phantasy Star Online was gay :). Too bad i don't have a bad word for Sonic. :blink:

#22 Iron_Maiden

Iron_Maiden
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:07 PM

Ive always been a big Sega fan always chose a Sega console over Nintendo or Playstation. But as Sega is only making games for now then for me its all about Microsoft Xbox it just has all the top games the best graphics and for me the most comfortable controller and has its own HDD... :) But ya know whats pretty annoying when ya get people moaning how big the Xbox is, so what its only gonna sit in ya room and collect dust...But anyway i think the best games console of all time is the Sega MegaDrive

Edited by Iron_Maiden, 26 February 2004 - 03:15 PM.

Sorry, no images in profiles - Crane

Inappropriate Avatar - Crane

#23 Harky

Harky
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:28 PM

Playstation 2, huge catalogue of games combined with the backward compatibility with original playstation games (which you can pick up bundles of on ebay for <£20) make it more worthy than any of the other popular consoles around as far as I'm concerned.

#24 Akira

Akira
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:57 PM

nice saving on research, just steal someone elses idea.

3D stick = Nintendo original design, copied by every other company within a month of release.
You have to forget about what other people say, when you're supposed to die, or when you're supposed to be loving. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.

#25 Guest_Angelus_*

Guest_Angelus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:11 PM

3D stick = Nintendo original design, copied by every other company within a month of release.

They adjusted it, improved it etc. Gamecubes controller = exactly the same.

#26 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

Halo isn't even that great of a game...

Anyways, my vote goes to the older systems. I had more fun with those games than I ever had with any newer games. I have yet to find a game that is as challenging and expansive as Metroid on NES. Not to mention that there is practically an infinite amount of space in that game.

I must admit, though, that FF7 is awesome.

Westcoast

#27 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:26 PM

BBC B Microcomputer (early 80s 1mhz cpu) + Elite Frontier
the first version of BBC B ran BBC Basic (what i learnt on from 6 years old) on 32k ram and tape drive :)
beat that!
(not sure if that spread to the usa)
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#28 newb

newb
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:33 PM

Hah! Tape drive...

Must have taken forever to do stuff.

I have my Intellivision in the garage, and like 30 cartridges. I don't think any of them work though. I'll have to see. I am cool though, because I have Dungeons and Dragons on it. That game was stupid hard, even when you only had to go through like 5 floors. In hard mode or whatever, there is like 50 floors :F

Westcoast

#29 JLH

JLH

Administrator

• Admin
  • 1771 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 05:43 PM

tape drive was 150 bytes per block, elite was 80 blocks large for the main game, and so was 12KB large, taking about 4-5 mins to load. It was also one of the most popular games on the bbc b, and inspired elite frontier for the amiga and pc, followed by frontier first encounters, then it all got fancy with the game x-beyond the frontier, then sequals x-tension, and the new x2-the threat.
Anything i post on here is subject to change at any time without notification to the board.

#30 Deval

Deval
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

Dreamcast - probably most favorite system of all time. ahead of its time. great games, nice contollers, first online system, and it was made by sega :).

Genesis- just an awesome system. The sonic series kicked a$$, and I love the Shining Force series, luckily, they had that one of DC :blink:.

Actually, the mega drive was the first system to go 'online' as such. It wasn't for multiplayer gaming though, it was a totally primitive browser which really really suxored, but still hooray for Sega for trying something new.

Shining force was indeed totally awesome, I've only ever really got to play Shining Force, Shining Force 2, Shining Force CD, and a crazy wierd one that was still in japanese on a Game Gear. I'm stunned someone else has mentioned it without being prompted by me!! You'll be happy to hear, that the original Shining Force is getting a tidy face lift and ported to the Game Boy Advance, with new features, 3 new characters, and new artwork. Hopefully the game will manage to retain at least some of it's original charm, but I'm just practically wetting my pants in fear that it wont make Australia. Another thing I'm worried about, is it is now in the hands of the new developers, hopefully they can remain true to the Shining Force style....

Meanwhile... wasn't Shining Force 3 on the Saturn, not the Dreamcast?...
"PK'ing has just become a battle of superior numbers." ~ Goldfish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users