Please Read

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

It has come to my attention that someone has actually PAID a contract developer money, to create an autoroller for nightmist. This is a serious breach of the terms and conditions, and as such, any use of this program will result in your account being deleted.

I am currently investigating to find the person who actually contracted the autorollers creation, so i can delete all of his accounts.

Any information that leads me to find the correct person, will be rewarded with a percentage value of his account, (20%) or higher.

If you have allowed this person to use your account at any time, be prepared to prove to me that whats in your account is yours. Down to your last Oak Staff, because absolutely everything will be getting deleted.

Have a great day,

- Jase.

#2 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

Seriously Jase, you cannot give out rewards of portions of peoples accounts or gold to players.
That's ludacris, and you know it. It would be SUCH an easy target for cheating, bias, inproper introduction of gold/items, and favoritism, etc.

However, everything else, spot on. Ban ban ban!

Jase - Yeh but i get targeted for all of those things anyway, its part of being staff :P

Its just a good incentive to turn the guy in :wub:

ps. i just really wanted to edit gaddys post :)
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.
-Proverbs 4:7

#3 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

FEAR THE SMILEY EDIT

#4 tehbirr

tehbirr
  • Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

OFF WITH THIER HEADSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
teh primex... lullaby on main - devour on 1alt

#5 Crane

Crane

"Teh Gareth!"

• Members
  • 4091 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

What's to stop a jealous person reporting someone who has, say, two six-stats or a few five-stats that they actually rolled legitimately?

It's a sad case really, because I'm taking steps to become a contract programmer myself, and incidents like these almost portray us as online mercenaries.
The Crane Temple Chairman

Main crits:
Crane
Europa

Don't kill the messenger mathematician!

#6 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I am actually a progress database programmer, and have done some contract work. Its not the programmers fault, he hasnt done anything wrong. Its the person who contracted him, and has used his program in violation of our terms of service.

#7 Pureza

Pureza

It's 4:20, do you know where your papers are???

• Members
  • 1858 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

What's to stop a jealous person reporting someone who has, say, two six-stats or a few five-stats that they actually rolled legitimately?

I would imagine that JLH would be more than happy to take a look at the rolling logs. I know he's done it before in the case of autorollers being used and people being caught.
Jaded ingame.

#8 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

so i can delete all of his accounts.

You either know who and just need some proof or your sexist!

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#9 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

LOL Gaz still believes that any of the females playing nightmist are actually female!

Also I don't see the problem with offering a reward, if anything nightmist has taught us that greed is a real motivator.
Si Senior!

#10 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Actually, the programmer is at fault. In you're scenario the hitman always walks because he was just hired? He was deliberately trying to circumvent particular mechanisms of an application that did not belong to him. Unless the person who hired them did it like in Die Hard 4, he is still to blame.

Come to think about it, it's probably pretty blown out of proportion. This 'contractor' is just some tech student who wanted to make some money. I've seen requests on forums before regarding Nightmist and people asking if there's someone who can make an auto roller.

lol@hiring someone tho, it's so easy to make yourself. The only problem is that it will start to look fishy, and there's no way you can go around that with such a small playerbase. The technical aspect is the least of your worries (I know, I'm in AA (autoroller anonymous)).
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#11 Exor

Exor
  • Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

Just curious but is this where you've found out about the autoroller? Click

I saw that ages ago when I was googling Nightmist. In fact I found it again by just googling nightmist autoroller.

On another note I cannot believe some fool actually paid $250 for this :P

Edit: Also if you google nightmist autoroller, in the searches you'll find a few other random forums/websites with people requesting AutoRollers for Nightmist and some have been granted their request apparently.

Edited by Exor, 23 September 2010 - 01:32 AM.

-Mark aka Exor aka Android_20 aka Illidan

#12 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

I figured he heard it through the grapevine, as all those forumposts you find through google are all pretty well known/old.

An entire nm autoroller can be written in about 15-20 lines tho, might want to think about what it actually takes before you offer someone 250 dollar lol.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#13 Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:20 AM

I don't want to give away information that Abstract doesn't want me to (I'm assuming if he wanted the specific ad's info available he'd have given it) but I can say that the above link is not the ad that prompted this investigation and that there are much more recent projects than that.
1-alt: Inglastex Main: don't play

#14 Vodka

Vodka
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

I don't support auto rolling, nor have I ever used one.. but, we wouldn't need things like this if the roller could be slightly improved.
When you do something right nobody remembers, but when you do something wrong nobody forgets.

Hump in game.

#15 Gnarkill

Gnarkill

Antisocial

• Members
  • 1834 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

lol @ auto rolling.. the only improvement the roller needs is a /roller option when when you're already logged into the game. All it takes is some patience and determination to roll a decent character.

Can we suggest that if this is someone who has recently been let off perm ban or if its someone with repeat offenses that they will actually be banned this time and not let back to disrupt the game further please?

Gnarkill- Multi and 1a

#16 Prophet

Prophet
  • Members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

I figured he heard it through the grapevine, as all those forumposts you find through google are all pretty well known/old.

An entire nm autoroller can be written in about 15-20 lines tho, might want to think about what it actually takes before you offer someone 250 dollar lol.

Sorry not adding to the discussion, but you clearly have never coded if you think it could be done in 15-20 lines - not without breaking JLH's encryption anyway and if hes done that then an auto roller would be the least productive thing to do.

Not that I'm disagreeing about 250$ being LOL considering you could probably by yourself half the things in game for that much from people.
Si Senior!

#17 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I would have sold a cobalt and my level 37 berserker for that, and even with an autoroller it would take him a HELL of a long time to make up the 17-18 mill value of those two things.

Not that i would sell my stuff for cash, but i do need monies! :P

#18 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

I've been a webdeveloper and software designer for well over 8 years now. You are clearly not a good programmer if you can't read between the lines, why 'break' his 'encryption', if you can just go around it.

When I said it can be done in 15-20 lines I meant I did it in 15-20 lines. To be more precise, any person can write it in 15-20 lines. You can ask John tho, he doesn't care, when I told him what I did he just deleted them and that was that. You can have the easiest method, or the most well thought out one. He will find it anyways, in a very simple way.

Edit: I'm tempted to just mention how, it's a very crude effective way, and see who is tempted enough to get banned for using it. Might clear away some bad apples :P But I'd rather not. Will send you a PM tho.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#19 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Why is this thread still unlocked?

Hang on guys, I'll go get the ruler.

Corinne in-game.

#20 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

*Looks at Sarah's tiny ruler*

Yea... that's not going to suffice...
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#21 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Why is this thread still unlocked?

If we are being honest- Because it was made by a moderator, and the moderators are the ones bragging on it...
Wisdom is the principle thing. Therefore, get wisdom, and in all your getting, get understanding.

#22 Prototype

Prototype
  • Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

I thought bragging was when you said you could do, or you are, something that others could not or are not. Saying everyone can do it, is hardly bragging.

That being said, this is Nightmist, if you think the game revolves around anything else then bragging then you should log on once in a while.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

#23 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Also id like you to point out where i was bragging, as you claimed that moderators (Plural) were bragging on this topic.

Yes i made this topic, but i do not see where i was bragging anywhere.

Unless you were not talking about me, and were talking about yourself or gaz.

#24 Gaddy

Gaddy
  • Advisors
  • 5241 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

I like paste.

#25 Abstract

Abstract
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

mmm paste

#26 Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

I think sewing lessons for staff should be mandatory.
1-alt: Inglastex Main: don't play

#27 Pandilex

Pandilex

Administrator

• Admin
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

I heard it was gaz

-P
If you build it, they will come.

#28 Piggy

Piggy
  • Game Staff
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I heard it was gaz

-P

You heard lies and slander! My auto-rollers are undetectable

Piggy Or Derlok ingame

#29 Tyler

Tyler
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

While we're "bragging" and stuff. I don't use program things like that, but the concept isn't hard.

Simply have a form that fills out the information you have in the specific screen location (Name, Race, Class, maybe even Picture). Then, have it roll based on colors, not values (stats change colors when they are perfect, so the fact that they move has no play on what happens). "But Tyler, how do you get around the math questions?" Well, just have the program re-open your account manager (shortcut, using the path "username/password/(1 or 0)" and just have it open the roller again.

Above was not to tell someone how to construct an autoroller, but to tell how easy this system is to get around. Anyhow, I think what should be done is discuss ways in which to improve the roller. If I can come up with a system that can be used, then so can anyone else. So the danger is programs that we aren't aware of, perhaps more complex. Perhaps the speed could be detected, but a program that runs slower, as in human speed, could be used. The thing is, it's really hard completely stop, but the attempt should be made.

If my post is too open to the public or whatever, feel free to edit/delete. Just trying to keep this topic fresh and aware.

Edited by Tyler, 07 November 2010 - 06:33 PM.

CEO & Founder of Twisted Tactics.

In-game

Multi: Veles or Elixir

1-alt: Liability

#30 Apocalypto

Apocalypto
  • Members
  • 1204 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:12 AM

Tyler is correct. However, that is how they catch you. They can see how many times the roller was opened.
Apocalypto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users