Nightmist Online Forum - http://www.nightmist-online.co.uk
« Nightmist Online Forum - Thefts »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
06/27/24 at 11:54:09

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register

Nightmist Online Forum
   Nightmist Online - Please read the terms of use before posting here
   Discussion Forum
(Moderators: Stotic, JLH, Judge Dredd, Pandilex)
   Thefts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thefts  (Read 3298 times)
Oracle
Nightmist Game Staff
United_Kingdom 

Tweeeeeeeeee

msn+=+Oracle_nightmist@msn.com   FnkBunny
View Profile Email

Thefts
« on: 09/10/03 at 00:52:17 »
Quote Quote

I just spent about the last 4-5 hours following up things involving one set of thefts and in the middle of it had another person's account deleted who thought they could evade me when trying to scam someone in a trade. Anyway it resulted in tevlok's main account being banned for 2 weeks+ We can see he stole from more than once person it would seem and what ever the circumstances stealing is illegal. I could return some things and not others and prove some things and not others.

I'd like to point out I did all this before I even noticed there was a thread about him on the forum so what’s said there hasn’t effected what I've done with JLH's help tonight.

The moral of my story is, all theft is wrong however it is preformed and staff may act on it if they wish to do so although they probably wont take up all of them. The second part being another plea, don’t give out your passwords… When ever you share with anyone, eventually one of you gets bored and decides to stop sharing taking your crits with it and will sometimes get away with it as staff don’t generally help if it’s a trade issue but sometimes we will and that’s when the thieves are caught out.

Be careful who you trust, or who you think you’re trusting.
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

What one lacks in skill, he makes up for with alts

61207412 61207412   Death_Jester_King   HitCowsWithCars
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Thefts
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/03 at 01:52:45 »
Quote Quote

Whilst I appluad the current crackdown on thieves and such, it doesn't seem to sit so well with me that people are being month banned (such as myself) for language, whilst (in this case) people who are stealing other peoples belongings are only getting two week bans? I'm not posting with the intent to lengthen Tevloks ban, I'm just wondering if staff might consider writing up some procedures and guidelines, that all staff must abide by, detailing what punishment there is to be regarding specific incidents, and a basic outline of how long these punishments should last for?
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
Bean
Canada 

I can be your angel, I can be your saviour

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/03 at 02:14:40 »
Quote Quote

Stealing should be a ZERO TOLERANCE offense.... instant perma ban, we dont need these d**ned people around on this game.

If they wanna steal they can go rob a bank and spend a few years dropping the soap... We dont need their kind around here
IP Logged

Chars: Bean, Kulidian, Elka, Elerabin *All four currently being leveled*
Artemis

Samus, Jocasta ingame.

Derrogative   Derrogative
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/03 at 02:22:47 »
Quote Quote

Staff award punishments however they see fit. So regardless if you've sworn in general chat or stolen an account full of items by hacking- if they think it deserves 2 months or two weeks it's up to them. If you're a generally annoying player you'll more than likely recieve a less desireable punishment. It's all in the TOS i believe..
IP Logged

Something has to change. Undeniable dilemma. Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear. Constant over stimulation numbs me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Bean
Canada 

I can be your angel, I can be your saviour

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/03 at 03:35:07 »
Quote Quote

That gives way to staff 'favoring' players, And as that stands people like to use that as a great excuse to flame staff.

If you had set ban times It would be much better.... Because honestly If staff are setting ban times 'as they see fit' they are most likely letting some small personal view worm its way into thier setting of the ban time...

Like you said yourself 'more annoying players will recieve a less desireable ban time' That should not be the case... When it comes to ban times the offenders should be seen as a faceless mass, ban times should be the EXACT same for EVERY misdemeanor of the same kind. Of course repeat offenders should recieve a more sever penalty.

And As I said in my first post, hacking, or generally stealing at all should be ZERO TOLERANCE.

~Bean~
IP Logged

Chars: Bean, Kulidian, Elka, Elerabin *All four currently being leveled*
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/03 at 03:50:46 »
Quote Quote

on 09/10/03 at 02:22:47, Artemis wrote:
Staff award punishments however they see fit. So regardless if you've sworn in general chat or stolen an account full of items by hacking- if they think it deserves 2 months or two weeks it's up to them. If you're a generally annoying player you'll more than likely recieve a less desireable punishment. It's all in the TOS i believe..

That is a rule system wich essentially functions on bias, even though a player may still be getting punished, there is still the element of player/staff relation. Now I've never accused staff of 'being corrupt', and it is rare that I would complain about reasons for being banned, but I see no reason a standard set of procedures should not be put in. We are all people, sitting at computers, playing a game we enjoy. We are all equal, and thus deserve to be judged in such a way.

Like Bean said, repeated regular offenders should be dealt with, but this should only be the result of an escalation of circumstances, where the party fails to adjust thier behavior after say, two bannings.
IP Logged

'Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?'
PurpleHaze03

NMPurpleHaze
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/03 at 04:18:39 »
Quote Quote

ok this morning, somehow mine and eds cobalt juss vanished outta our acct. and we dunno how or what happened to it, can a staff plz explain to me what happened to it?
page/memo nore
IP Logged

Old PurpleHaze, Salvation, Granthium, Nore, Noreaga and Capone in game.
Stotic
Nightmist Game Staff
USA 

We Can Rise

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: 09/10/03 at 04:24:39 »
Quote Quote

"ok this morning, somehow mine and eds cobalt juss vanished outta our acct"
IP Logged

We'll douse ourselves in gasoline and hang our bodies from the lampposts.
PurpleHaze03

NMPurpleHaze
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: 09/10/03 at 04:30:08 »
Quote Quote

it did
IP Logged

Old PurpleHaze, Salvation, Granthium, Nore, Noreaga and Capone in game.
CPG
USA 

dude hit guy wif lol

VinzcentXS
View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: 09/10/03 at 04:31:46 »
Quote Quote

He was emphasizing the part where you guys share. Also, he is hinting that because of sharing, one of the people might have taken the csotw.
IP Logged

Artemis

Samus, Jocasta ingame.

Derrogative   Derrogative
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: 09/10/03 at 06:31:00 »
Quote Quote

on 09/10/03 at 03:50:46, Deval wrote:

That is a rule system wich essentially functions on bias, even though a player may still be getting punished, there is still the element of player/staff relation. Now I've never accused staff of 'being corrupt', and it is rare that I would complain about reasons for being banned, but I see no reason a standard set of procedures should not be put in. We are all people, sitting at computers, playing a game we enjoy. We are all equal, and thus deserve to be judged in such a way.

Like Bean said, repeated regular offenders should be dealt with, but this should only be the result of an escalation of circumstances, where the party fails to adjust thier behavior after say, two bannings.

You could be correct but you are forgetting one major detail, it's their game and they do not care what you think is fair and what you do not. They have the right to change the rules however, whenever, to whatever. Nothing you can say will change how they base their rules, so this is all really just a waste of time. JLH & Pandilex = god. Your morals mean nothing here lol.. The loopholes! I know, but you agreed to all of these (meaning situations where JLH/Pan have the right to claim your soul and it is not optional!) when you downloaded and installed the game to begin with..heh. Tongue
IP Logged

Something has to change. Undeniable dilemma. Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear. Constant over stimulation numbs me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: 09/10/03 at 06:48:57 »
Quote Quote

on 09/10/03 at 06:31:00, Artemis wrote:
Your morals mean nothing here

This isn't so much a discussion about morals, but of ethics ^_^
Whilst your abosolutely correct in saying that it's JLH and Pandilex's game, and whilst they are without doubt the 'be all', and 'end all', it is not unreasonable for us to voice our concerns over such topics. I don't think anyone expects them to take such action at the drop of a hat, we are merely just throwing the topic into the foray for discussion, and the possibility it 'may' be considered by staff.  Smiley
IP Logged

Magma

Magma

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: 09/10/03 at 07:11:07 »
Quote Quote

well I asked JLH when my rune staff was stolen by ed: 'So you are cool with ppl stealing of each other and won't do anythingHuh'
His answer was: 'I am not cool with it, but unable to do anything.'
So well... I said I can steal off ppl then also (what I did) and now he banned me for 2weeks while ed got nothing? Rofl ed admitted the stealing thing and I stole of a shared acc. So stuff which I also own. I honestly don't see the difference beetwen ed admitting it, and getting no bann. And me taking stuff out of a shared acc and getting 2 weeks banned for that. And now don't try to tell me that would be a fair situation. I mean... what do we have staffers for when they randomly bann ppl without any rules? Or is the rule: 'Staff can bann whoever they want to bann, and they will do this!'
It is just gay what's going on in nm... Nothing but thefts yes, now I did what other ppl did to me a couple of times and I am the only one who is banned? LOL Come on... I doubt that is anything like fair. Ed hacked even.... I just took crits out of an acc I owned! That is dumb -.-
IP Logged
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: 09/10/03 at 07:23:51 »
Quote Quote

The fair only happens once a year, unlike life, which is hardly ever fair.  The point is you stole, and were punished.  Some people get away with things, but thats life, thats why there is thievery and murder in real life, look at OJ.  No system is perfect, you just have to work at what you have.  You did something wrong and you know it, let it go.
IP Logged
Magma

Magma

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: 09/10/03 at 07:27:25 »
Quote Quote

And all staffers know that ed and bill do and did such things in the past hundert of times... they both stole enough for an own cobalt... and I get banned for sharing an acc? I thought there was this 'Staff won't deal with thefts anymore' thing?
IP Logged
Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: 09/10/03 at 07:36:55 »
Quote Quote

Here I thought Oracle just posted about how staff will deal with these things as they can, whether it be time wise, or any other reason.  We are staff, we are also human, and we can only do as much as time and other restrictions allow, people ask for us to monitor trades, yet also take care of every theft issue, and run more quests, etc etc etc etc.  Oracle took the time to investiagte and punish you, and had every right to, so get over it, get a 2 week long breath of fresh air.
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: 09/10/03 at 07:46:47 »
Quote Quote

Now if there were guidelines and procedures for this kind of situation...  Wink
IP Logged

Aidon
Nightmist Game Staff

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: 09/10/03 at 07:50:16 »
Quote Quote

There are loose guidleines, but just like any judge in a typical judicial system, the sentence is open to somewhat of loose interptretment.
IP Logged
Deval
Australia 

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: 09/10/03 at 07:52:54 »
Quote Quote

My shoelace is loose...
IP Logged

Jurian
Netherlands 

Lillium inter spinas, The lilly among thorns

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: 09/10/03 at 08:11:00 »
Quote Quote

(didn't have time to read al replies)

hmm i like tevlok (well kinda) but i agree with deval here. month bans for bad language and when someone steals he gets a 2 week ban? even though i like tevlok i do think he should get a perm ban for stealing the stuff.

second what's gonna happen with the money he got from the stuff that he sold? cuz this theft would still result in an unfair advantage to others when he gets back.
IP Logged

I dream about how it's going to end,
Approaching me quickly.
Leaving a life of fear,
I only want my mind to be clear.
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Nightmist Online Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.